Boston Acoustic VS Klipsh [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acoustic VS Klipsh

robiner
04-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Hi,

I am a hard time deciding which one is better and i wonder what is the common views out there.

What i am comparing is a little unfaire (towards Klipsh) but i still will like to compare it.

Basically how does Boston Acoutic VM series compare with Klipsh RF (reference) series. This is unfaire because the Boston Acoustic is at least twice the price.

Is it really worth it? I have a yamaha 5660.

RGA
04-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Surely you're not going to simply assume that because Boston acoustics model is twice the price that it's twice the speaker - it might be then again it may be just twice the price and no better - or EeeeGADS!!! twice the price and worse. It's happened - A LOT in this industry.

04-02-2004, 12:05 AM
I think you already know what you want.
All you will get from us is the "only you know what you want - use your ears" lecture.
Now you have to rate. Is the appearance in improved sound worth twice the money?

Money rules all.

T-Bone
04-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Since I don't know what specific models you are talking about, I will be brief.

Yes, you should let your ears decide for you... but... why don't you compare similar models? I have a bias towards BA, because I find that they are quite transparent, and compliment my music tastes. Klipsch is a great speaker as well... I have had less experience with them.

Depending on your music taste, you might want to consider a model that has a soft-dome tweeter.

Listen to as many as you can. Neither one of these speakers does anything to disqualify themselves from your list.

JSE
04-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi,

I am a hard time deciding which one is better and i wonder what is the common views out there.

What i am comparing is a little unfaire (towards Klipsh) but i still will like to compare it.

Basically how does Boston Acoutic VM series compare with Klipsh RF (reference) series. This is unfaire because the Boston Acoustic is at least twice the price.

Wow, you seemd to have narrowed it down to 2 speakers on the opposite ends of the sound characteristic spectrum. To me, the Boston's are a warmer more laid back sound. I like this and I own Boston VR965 towers. Klipsch, to me, seem to be a brighter speaker. They are very efficient and which some people like. Klipsch is a love em or hate em sound. I considered them, but they are too bright and "shrill" for my taste.

One thing, these are just my opinions, yours and other's may be completely different. It all comes down to what you like. Don't be afraid to spend money if it will get the speakers you want.

JSE

wasch_24
04-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Wow, you seemd to have narrowed it down to 2 speakers on the opposite ends of the sound characteristic spectrum. To me, the Boston's are a warmer more laid back sound. I like this and I own Boston VR965 towers. Klipsch, to me, seem to be a brighter speaker. They are very efficient and which some people like. Klipsch is a love em or hate em sound. I considered them, but they are too bright and "shrill" for my taste.

One thing, these are just my opinions, yours and other's may be completely different. It all comes down to what you like. Don't be afraid to spend money if it will get the speakers you want.

JSE
Yep, I've got the same mains as JSE. Everyone is right though. You need to listen to them and let the outcome of that impact wether or not you can justify the price difference.

I'm biased so I won't give my opinion.

cam
04-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi,

Maybe your local dealer only carries these 2 brands so you are going head to head with these 2 brands. I suggest you leave the wife and kids at home and reserve a saturday all for yourself and go to as many stores as possible and listen to everyones higher end models. You may need 2 days just to absorb all of the different speakers you will be demoing. You may find a speaker that stands head and shoulders above everyone else and it may not be the most expensive one either. I hate to put a downer on this but you may find the speaker of your dreams at a store but you may not be able to achieve the same sound in your house.

careless b
04-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Robiner,

Iv'e had my RF series for about 4 months now, they really suit the live sound I like, they got the big presence I love. You really got to sit down and think about what your tastes and requirements are before you choose. Also you might want to check out B&W? Just a suggestion! I was tossing between these two brands when choosing speakers.

Cheers
Brad