Speaker wire [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker wire

amature
04-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I have to ask this.Im new to this and would like to know if higher end speaker wire is really going to make all that much difference in sound?Also should i use banana clips?I have Infinity sm 155,s for 2 channel and a set of PSB alpha series surround speakers for movies:2:

amature
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh and im running everything with a pioneer vsx-d906s reciever

poppachubby
04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
You have asked a question in a VERY subjective area of audio. Generally speaking, yes, it does make a difference.

For your Infinity's, I would recommend no higher than 14 AWG cable, preferrably 12 or 10. The bass response will be fuller at these thicker guages vs. thinner.

Bare wire is actually where its at, but if your speakers have banana plugs, then terminating with appropriate jacks is fine. Try to get some that are gold plated.

The bottom line is you shouldn't expect any great, audible result from the cable. With proper quality cable at a respectable gauge, you will get reliable transmission of the signal. Let your ears decide if there is improvement.

Mr Peabody
04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
No plugs are necessary. I've found better wire/cables can help. To answer your question you'll have to try some better ones to see if, you, can hear any difference. Some heavy gauge oxygen free copper speaker wire is probably all you will need for your current system.

You might at some point try www.bluejeanscable.com this cable is good enough to show difference at a good price.

eisforelectronic
04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I personally feel your wiring has the potential to make almost as much difference as your components.

manlystanley
04-13-2010, 03:00 AM
I have to ask this.Im new to this and would like to know if higher end speaker wire is really going to make all that much difference in sound?Also should i use banana clips?I have Infinity sm 155,s for 2 channel and a set of PSB alpha series surround speakers for movies:2:

Check out this article: http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/speaker-cable-gauge

I've removed all my banana plugs for my Jamo speakers (that go down to 2.8 ohms). It made a real difference. The referenced article basically states that it's just the amount of copper that makes the difference. I know that many on this forum disagree with that.

Best Regards,
Stan

TheHills44060
04-13-2010, 05:23 AM
I agree with poppa and peabody on this one. Some decent lower gauge copper speaker wire will do fine. With your current rig i don't see the need for a boutique type of cable with elaborate terminations.

GMichael
04-13-2010, 05:35 AM
IMO speaker wire can make a big difference in some instances.
1) If you are using 18 or 20 AWG now, then there will be a huge difference going to 12 AWG.
2) If you have a system worth $10k, then even 12 AWG cheapo-brand wire will not give you everything you could be getting.

www.bluejeanscable.com has a 10 AWG wire that isn’t all that expensive. I’m sure that it would be more than you need right now.

And bare wire works best if you have room to work with it. Bannana plugs are great for the back of your amp if you don't have room to work with bare wires though.

Mr Peabody
04-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Good point GM, bananas are a time saver and convenient enough to warrant the expense in some instances. I share speakers between systems and it would get to be a big drag screwing and unscrewing to connect bare wire not to mention the pain of limited space.