For Thorens and Technics SL-1200 lovers. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For Thorens and Technics SL-1200 lovers.

jrhymeammo
04-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Here is link for those who are looking for different tonearm mounts for reasonable price.

http://soundsupports.com/

I've ordered a SME and Jelco Mount for my SL-1200mk2.
I will need to wait a couple of months before I can order some arms.
It's kinda like buying a helmet before buying a motorcycle... but it's a good motivation.

Have Fun,
JRA

02audionoob
04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I still wonder about the attraction of the SL-1200 if the arm is so disposable. You have a RB250 on yours...true?

jrhymeammo
04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I still wonder about the attraction of the SL-1200 if the arm is so disposable. You have a RB250 on yours...true?

Yes. I have a RB250 with expressimo weight and Incognito rewire.
I'm considering to go either SME M2-9, 309 or Jelco SA 750D. I want to explore this table a bit more before moving on a belt drive. I think people love it for the great speed stability with ease of cartridge change. Ideally, I would like to have 2 SL-12XX with a SA-750D and a SME arm, but I shouldn't get ahead of myself here.

It has a solid hefty base, and I feel this TT has tons of potentials.

JRA

basite
04-13-2010, 01:24 AM
IMHO, the Jelco might outperform the SME, though both are really nice arms, the jelco is an absolute bargain considering it's performance...

poppachubby
04-13-2010, 04:32 AM

Agreed, I would much rather mod some of the classic Denon's or Micro Seiki's. Every bit as good performance wise, with MUCH sharper looks. I am hugely biased when it comes to this table. Yes, it specs nicely but so what?!? So do many other DD's and short of an arm preference, don't require a full workup by KAB.

To each his own. JRA, enjoy your table. I know you're an astute audio enthusiast, but I think your future lies in the belt drive world. Linn/Systemdek/Ariston or perhaps VPI/ Oracle/Clearaudio...they are sonically superior IMO.

BTW, how about a pic?

02audionoob
04-13-2010, 05:20 AM
I keep wondering why the 1200 became the popular model, rather than the 1600, 1700 and 1800. I find the sound of the 1200 to have a hardness to it, so it seems logical at first glance that the suspended decks might be better in that regard.

On the arm issue, I think judging whether the Jelco or the SME will perform better is dependent on the choice of cartridge...not a judgment that can really be made without considering the total system. After all, look at the mass difference.

jrhymeammo
04-13-2010, 07:00 AM
As we all have stated (including myself) we can only speculate.
That's one of the reasons why I'm willing to find out.

On the arm issue, I think judging whether the Jelco or the SME will perform better is dependent on the choice of cartridge...not a judgment that can really be made without considering the total system. After all, look at the mass difference.

Agreed 100%. Same goes for SUT and Phono Pre.

jrhymeammo
04-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Agreed, I would much rather mod some of the classic Denon's or Micro Seiki's. Every bit as good performance wise, with MUCH sharper looks. I am hugely biased when it comes to this table. Yes, it specs nicely but so what?!? So do many other DD's and short of an arm preference, don't require a full workup by KAB.

KAB was pretty good, but I didn't think it was worth the cost. I sold it within a year.
Micro Seiki and Denon will require a bit of tendor loving care and spare parts are not readily available. But if my budget was higher, I can certain entertain the idea since I've been curious abou their decks for quite some time.

To each his own. JRA, enjoy your table.
You know I will.:thumbsup:

but I think your future lies in the belt drive world. Linn/Systemdek/Ariston or perhaps VPI/ Oracle/Clearaudio...they are sonically superior IMO.

Linn/Systemdek, Ariston, Oracle, JA Mitchell, as well as Thorens seem attractive, but I will hold off on suspended/semi suspended designs. I have made an offer on a Clearaudio Champion last month, but I can only wonder how they would've sounded. They are all nice to their own, but I still have the Technics I want to mess around with.

I will post some pics once I get everything sorted out.

basite
04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
To each his own. JRA, enjoy your table. I know you're an astute audio enthusiast, but I think your future lies in the belt drive world. Linn/Systemdek/Ariston or perhaps VPI/ Oracle/Clearaudio...they are sonically superior IMO.

BTW, how about a pic?

agreed about the pic,

but.
why would a belt drive tt would be automatically superior to a direct drive or even idler drive?

okay, i'm biased myself, as a proud user of an idler driven Lenco L-75 (Extremely modded though)
I like their rythm and pace, their very tight and defined lows. The general "drive" in their sound, makes it more sound like music then just sound.

I auditioned many turntables for my budget, and slightly above. The Linn's didn't impress me at all, but were far better than the clearaudio's, which sounded dead and boring IMO. they sounded more like they wanted to be a CD...

just my opinion...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

poppachubby
04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
agreed about the pic,

but.
why would a belt drive tt would be automatically superior to a direct drive or even idler drive?

okay, i'm biased myself, as a proud user of an idler driven Lenco L-75 (Extremely modded though)
I like their rythm and pace, their very tight and defined lows. The general "drive" in their sound, makes it more sound like music then just sound.

I auditioned many turntables for my budget, and slightly above. The Linn's didn't impress me at all, but were far better than the clearaudio's, which sounded dead and boring IMO. they sounded more like they wanted to be a CD...

just my opinion...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Sub $1K DD is competitive but once you step past that, the belt drives become bigger and badder.

I have heard complaints about Clearaudio similar to yours. However I feel that many DD's are just as you described the Clearaudio. Without ridiculous amounts of modding, they can be dry and lifeless.

Believe it or not I have been looking harder at Denon and micro Seiki lately...

I have heard a few different LP12's and I think the best had about $15 - 20k in upgrades. There's a house table at a local shop that right now has a ProJect Carbon arm, and some other mechanical upgrades...it sounds amazing. Very engaging...

jrhymeammo
04-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Sub $1K DD is competitive but once you step past that, the belt drives become bigger and badder.

I have heard complaints about Clearaudio similar to yours. However I feel that many DD's are just as you described the Clearaudio. Without ridiculous amounts of modding, they can be dry and lifeless.

Believe it or not I have been looking harder at Denon and micro Seiki lately...

I have heard a few different LP12's and I think the best had about $15 - 20k in upgrades. There's a house table at a local shop that right now has a ProJect Carbon arm, and some other mechanical upgrades...it sounds amazing. Very engaging...

Sounds like your curiousity is going to keep you busy in a near future. Let us know how a Denon or MS unit works for you.

As always it's only my personal opinion, but listening to numerous gear at a hifi shop won't give us enough idea on components' capability. If we don't live with them, it's no different from our blind speculation. For the same reason, I can be ecstatic over a $5 Thrift store turntable, but it won't last no more than 20 minutes.

Once you move up to a certain level of component, you really don't need to spend tons of disposable income to play with different gear. Just be sure to keep your eyes on Agon and Canuckaudiomart.

Have Fun,
JRA