Emotiva XPA-2 Pics [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Emotiva XPA-2 Pics

Ajani
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Back in my UPA-2 thread I promised some pics, so here goes the first really bad ones:

Ajani
04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Pic showing the speakers as well:

frenchmon
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Boy that thing looks huge....here you go...nothing against the Nics, but the Emo wants these.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1276109226

frenchmon

Feanor
04-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Back in my UPA-2 thread I promised some pics, so here goes the first really bad ones:
Holy snappin' whatsits! Sort of hilarious seeing the "tiny" Benchmark and SqueezeBox atop the Emotiva.

harley .guy07
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
yeah that benchmark dac looks like a cell phone compared to that huge amp. but I bet you aren't hurting for power or dynamic capabilities.

atomicAdam
04-12-2010, 07:40 PM
wow - that is pretty funny looking - lil head with a huge body!

does the sound improve at all if the squeeze box is moved further away from the amp?

blackraven
04-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Looks like Davey and Goliath! Enjoy Ajani!

Ajani
04-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Some more pics showing the scale of the Benchmark VS the Emotiva & my listening room:

Ajani
04-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Boy that thing looks huge....here you go...nothing against the Nics, but the Emo wants these.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1276109226

frenchmon

:thumbsup:

Agreed!

Ajani
04-13-2010, 10:07 AM
wow - that is pretty funny looking - lil head with a huge body!

does the sound improve at all if the squeeze box is moved further away from the amp?

I haven't noticed any change in the sound by relocating the Squeezebox....

Ajani
04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
yeah that benchmark dac looks like a cell phone compared to that huge amp. but I bet you aren't hurting for power or dynamic capabilities.

Yep, it might look silly but it is a very nice combination....

The Emotiva has a line of little blue leds that light up to indicate the power usage... I rarely get them to move... With the most bass heavy material I have, at an uncomfortably loud volume level, I managed to light up 3 of the 12 leds intermittently... So I really can't imagine needing more power...

blackraven
04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
The amp looks lonely sitting there, it looks like it needs some friends to keep it company. Maybe an Oppo BD-83se and a nice TT.

GMichael
04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
The amp looks lonely sitting there, it looks like it needs some friends to keep it company. Maybe an Oppo BD-83se and a nice TT.
I'll second this. :ihih:

bfalls
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Are those industrial-grade suction cups under the table you used to lift the amp?:biggrin5:

Ajani
04-13-2010, 02:00 PM

lol... If I add any additional gear to that setup it would be the upcoming Emotiva XSP-1 Preamp and possibly the XDA-1 DAC.... Then I could use the Benchmark in the eventual bedroom 2nd system....

A full Emotiva stack would look pretty sweet and sound great too...

Ajani
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Are those industrial-grade suction cups under the table you used to lift the amp?:biggrin5:

:nono: Though that's actually a good idea... :p

It's a bit of workout equipment - Perfect Pushup - standard informercial excercise product - though I must admit that it actually is useful and makes pushups more challenging (assuming anyone really needs pushups to be more difficult)....

jrhymeammo
04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow, I thought that was a Wadia CDP. Thanks for the pics and congrats.

JRA

Ajani
04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
I forgot to add a comment re the cosmetics of the amp:

For those persons who think the silver trim on the edges is too much, you can either replace them with black trim ($20), paint them yourself or take them off completely (leaving just the black face with the power button)...

You can also turn off the blue leds at the top....

Luvin Da Blues
04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Might look good with rack handles in place of those silver trim thingies.

harley .guy07
04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
It looks like you need some new speaker cables. those look awful small gauge and for an amp of that power and ability I think some better cables would serve you better.

Ajani
04-15-2010, 03:32 PM
It looks like you need some new speaker cables. those look awful small gauge and for an amp of that power and ability I think some better cables would serve you better.

Definitely... It's just the old cheapo cable I had with the Technics speakers... I plan to upgrade speakers and cables....

Ajani
04-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Might look good with rack handles in place of those silver trim thingies.

Rack Handles would be useful, especially considering this beast weighs 75lbs....

rob_a
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Definitely... It's just the old cheapo cable I had with the Technics speakers... I plan to upgrade speakers and cables....

Emo's speaker cables are vary nice, my buddy is using the X cable and they do a good job. Blue jean makes a nice set of cables too.

When are you getting a new set of speaker to really show the depth of your amp??? we have to know :crazy:

Ajani
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Emo's speaker cables are vary nice, my buddy is using the X cable and they do a good job. Blue jean makes a nice set of cables too.

When are you getting a new set of speaker to really show the depth of your amp??? we have to know :crazy:

Really depends on how long my patience holds up... I'm saving for the Revel Performa F32s now... If my patience runs out then I'll just get the Concerta F12s instead....

Ajani
04-17-2010, 02:25 PM
I made a few changes to the room:

Ajani
04-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Close up of HiFi:

Ajani
04-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Close up of electronics:

frenchmon
04-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Close up of electronics:

You should raise the amp off the ground with some support....some of those rubber things or wood or ceramic blocks...about 4 of them to put up under your amp.

Ajani
04-19-2010, 03:04 PM
You should raise the amp off the ground with some support....some of those rubber things or wood or ceramic blocks...about 4 of them to put up under your amp.

I'm planning to get some kind of amp stand...

frenchmon
04-19-2010, 03:06 PM

oh....I betcha you are excited....its always fun to start like you are and building and tweaking...researching cable and interconnects, and more tweaking, finding the right placement...swapping things in and out and getting the sound you want....I wish I could be there with you to just see and hear as you research and build your system...

Make sure your system has lots of passion and emotion...dont know if you like Cassandra Wilson, but she does a U2 song "Love is Blind" on her CD "New Moon Daughter" and played through my Canton speakers there is so much emotion coming from those speakers....I know your Revels have tons of emotion....but what about the Emo??? Whats it like?....It sure is purty.

frenchmon

E-Stat
04-20-2010, 06:06 AM
That is a good suggestion, but first, you should isolate the power amp from the digital source. With that intimate proximity, both are likely picking up and amplifying EMI/RFI noise components from the other.

rw

Glen B
04-20-2010, 09:56 AM
I made a few changes to the room:

Why did you remove the rug ? You need one on that reflective tile floor.

Ajani
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
That is a good suggestion, but first, you should isolate the power amp from the digital source. With that intimate proximity, both are likely picking up and amplifying EMI/RFI noise components from the other.

rw

For now my plan is to use longer IC's and place the DAC/Squeezebox on the coffee table when I listen to music... So they'd only sit on the amp when they're not in use...

Ajani
04-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Why did you remove the rug ? You need one on that reflective tile floor.

I never had a rug in the room... I've not been in a rush to add any room treatments, until after I purchase new speakers...

Ajani
04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
oh....I betcha you are excited....its always fun to start like you are and building and tweaking...researching cable and interconnects, and more tweaking, finding the right placement...swapping things in and out and getting the sound you want....I wish I could be there with you to just see and hear as you research and build your system...

Make sure your system has lots of passion and emotion...dont know if you like Cassandra Wilson, but she does a U2 song "Love is Blind" on her CD "New Moon Daughter" and played through my Canton speakers there is so much emotion coming from those speakers....I know your Revels have tons of emotion....but what about the Emo??? Whats it like?....It sure is purty.

frenchmon

It's loads of fun so far... The Revels aren't there yet... I'm still using the trusty old Technics for the time being... But I am exceedingly impressed with the Emotiva/Benchmark combo so far, as it makes the Technics sound good (which is something I thought would be impossible).... So it will be really something to hear what the combo can do with Revel....

frenchmon
05-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Ajani...did you see this rig?

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vbudg&1272241564

frenchmon

Ajani
05-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Ajani...did you see this rig?

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vbudg&1272241564

frenchmon

Not on A'gon... But I previously got advice from the owner of that setup on the Emotiva forums... So I'd seen some of those pics before... The new pics are the ones with the wood trim on his Emotiva gear....