Men Who Stare at Goats [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Men Who Stare at Goats

Hyfi
04-12-2010, 08:19 AM
OK, the main is goofy and the trailers didn't let you know what the movie is actually about but I took a chance at Redbox because the Chipmunks Sqeakual was out....damn kids!

All I knew was from a trailer that somebody stared at a goat and it dropped over.

As the film started a blurb on the screen stated that more of what is in the movie is truer than one would think. After the movie, watch the extra stuff to see why.

Although this was a serious and covert military group, the movie is quite humorous and Clooney plays one of his best roles in it. Spacey and Bridges also play great parts.

I don't want to give the story or plot away but do recommend this flick for it's comedy, truth, and the fact that they actually did attempt to tap into the power of the mind which is way overlooked today.

The last couple scenes are a real trip!

poppachubby
04-12-2010, 08:47 AM
The book was awesome, I plan to see the movie.

Troy
04-12-2010, 09:47 AM
You know, I really thought it would be funnier.

It was subtle when it should have been broad and broad when it should have been subtle.

Hyfi
04-12-2010, 09:59 AM
You know, I really thought it would be funnier.

It was subtle when it should have been broad and broad when it should have been subtle.

It beat my expectations because I didn't have any. It maybe should have been more serious and less funny since it reality and not a joke. All in all, a good rental for $1.06.

3LB
04-13-2010, 07:40 AM
I've been wanting to see this movie. Just need to make the time. Clooney is a pretty good actor, and has a knack for quirky charactrers. I knew the story was rooted in the fact that the Army experimented with mind control. I also knew Army guys stared at goats, but I figured it was for way different reasons.

Hyfi
04-13-2010, 08:25 AM
I also knew Army guys stared at goats, but I figured it was for way different reasons.

No no, this is not a biblical times story........

GMichael
04-13-2010, 09:22 AM
The title gives me the creeps. Seems like I should be sneeking into a room just off 42nd street to view this.

nightflier
04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Don't worry, apart from one partial nude scene (I believe), there is no indecent exposure of the prurient kind.

Call me crazy, but I liked it better than Burn After Reading. I'm a fan of Clooney movies, but sometimes he can over-do himself. Men Who Stare At Goats was a good fit for him, although I think Spacey's character should have had more screen time.

I wonder how successful this super secret program really was. No WMDs, but maybe it helped find Saddam hiding in that rat-hole. Then again he had over 30 body-doubles..., maybe they didn't.