Record Day 2010 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Record Day 2010

jonnyhambone
04-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Anyone pay attention to the Independent Record Store Day (http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home) thing? I went last year and the special area of 7", EP's, and what-not that many bands put out just for this day, well, it was cleared out totally - by 10am! This year there's a handfull of things I'd love to pick up so I'm considering going down to queue up at 8 or something...nuts? maybe, but I hope to grab at least one of these:
Sonic Youth - EVOL (180 gm on pink vinyl)...this was my intro. to the band that I picked up based on liking the name and cover image when it first came out - still only have my orig. cassette copy from SST that is worn thin.
Fela Kuti - a 10" live recording from 1970 (I think)
Hold Steady - the new album on 180 gm with a hand-silkscreened sleeve (only 600! made so this one will probably not be got...)

there's some other cool, one-time-only releases too with list at the linked site above
Saturday, April 17:thumbsup:

Finch Platte
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
As much as I love my LRS, they are totally lame when it comes to this promotion. I asked a few days ago, and they hadn't received any info or swag to give out.

Maybe it'll be like last year, and they'll get the stuff after the day. :sosp:

ForeverAutumn
04-09-2010, 09:17 AM
My favourite Indie store went belly-up last year.

Yeah, happy freakin' Independent Record Store Day.

:(

Finch Platte
04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
My favourite Indie store went belly-up last year.

Yeah, happy freakin' Independent Record Store Day.

:(

I recall about 60 bazillion posts from you about ordering music online? :sosp:

ForeverAutumn
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I recall about 60 bazillion posts from you about ordering music online? :sosp:

Not that I need to justify my actions to you elf-boy, but my Indie store stocked a lot of metal and prog but sold very little alternative or popular music. Plus, I only discovered the store about 1.5 years before it went under. So, yes, I ordered a lot of stuff on-line. Still do. Only now I try to order from independent on-line stores like http://www.lasercd.com/ and http://synphonic.8m.com/.

:p

Stone
04-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I didn't go last year, nor will I likely make it this year, but I think it's a great idea. The local record store has live music all day and a bunch of give-aways. It's just too bad something like this is needed to spark interest in the brick and mortar stores.

Mr MidFi
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm planning on stopping by good ol' Kiss The Sky Records in Geneva, IL tomorrow. Maybe pick up the new one from Besnard Lakes while I'm there.

3LB
04-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I went last year and had a good time. No live bands per se, but to or three really good street performers and two or three not-so-good ones. One guy, whom I think was uninvited, showed up with his guitar and dude was absolutely tweakin; he strumed his "5-string" and chewed every word...he thought he was da shizzle! Some people even clapped when he stopped just egg him on. I visited a couple of stores, a couple of eateries. I won a free CD that I've listened maybe 3 times since.

Hopefully I can make it again this year.