Amp question for any fellow guitarists. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amp question for any fellow guitarists.

Swish
04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I bought a Mesa Boogie Mark III on e-bay about 6 years ago and it's been very good to me. I had to replace the speaker but did so with an original Mesa Black Shadow, and had it re-tubed once. The is a 'red stripe' from somewhere around 1985 and they are now selling for $1,000 and up, but I was thinking of parting with it and buying something new like the highly regarded Egnater Rebel 30. Another player told me it may be the best amp ever made, and the reviews have been stellar. Truthfully, the Mesa is dynamite and I am getting cold feet at this point. I know I could get at least a grand for, or possibly more as they are especially coveted by blues players, and the Egnater would set me back about $1200.

Your thoughts?

http://www.harmony-central.com/CSS/container.css

Mr Peabody
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't know enough to help you but I envy you having the Mesa.

They put out a tube home amp at one time. A reviewer said, "this is what a Krell tube amp would sound like if Krell built tube amps". In context he was referring to the Mesa's brute force and control. I bet one of those are selling for big dollar.

Finch Platte
04-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Amps. (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0vfuxq8gld6e)

You're welcome.

Swish
04-09-2010, 08:28 AM

You're welcome.

You're an even bigger goof than I realized.

ForeverAutumn
04-09-2010, 09:14 AM

You're an even bigger goof than I realized.

:lol:

MindGoneHaywire
04-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I have a friend in Harrisburg you should speak to...I'll hit you offline with contact info...

Swish
04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I have a friend in Harrisburg you should speak to...I'll hit you offline with contact info...

Maybe you didn't realize, but I'm only 30 minutes from the Capitol and drive thru it on my way to the office a couple times each week. I'll look forward to the info J.

dean_martin
04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
keep what you got, dude. I looked into selling my early 70's Fender Princeton Reverb and buying something new. I found that the market right now won't support what I could've gotten just a couple years ago making a trade for a new one almost impossible. (There's not much demand in my area to be able to get top dollar in a private sale.)

I quickly decided to keep my amp after taking it to a tech who helped me maximize its performance and gave me some suggestions on future work and maintenance. Plus, I had some single 12AX7s and 7025s that I finally got around to trying which really opened up the sound. I've had this amp since the early 90s and after having it serviced and retubed a couple of years later it just didn't have the same sparkle. I think I've got the sparkle back now. I had to get the "upgrade" bug out of my system. Now, I seriously doubt that I would've been able to accomplish an upgrade.

Finch Platte
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
http://iamdonp.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/amp_250ml_can-jpg.jpeg

MasterCylinder
04-15-2010, 04:21 AM
I bought a Mesa Boogie Mark III on e-bay about 6 years ago and it's been very good to me. I had to replace the speaker but did so with an original Mesa Black Shadow, and had it re-tubed once. The is a 'red stripe' from somewhere around 1985 and they are now selling for $1,000 and up, but I was thinking of parting with it and buying something new like the highly regarded Egnater Rebel 30. Another player told me it may be the best amp ever made, and the reviews have been stellar. Truthfully, the Mesa is dynamite and I am getting cold feet at this point. I know I could get at least a grand for, or possibly more as they are especially coveted by blues players, and the Egnater would set me back about $1200.

Your thoughts?

http://www.harmony-central.com/CSS/container.css

Do not sell.................you will screw yourself..............not only monetarily (recession), but mentally and artistically as well. I'm not a guitarist (drummer) but all my musician friends and myself never sell off anything vintage -- we just add to it. Buy what you want but keep the Mesa. Depending on what you want to achieve on a specific day in the studio, you need that variety. I still have a vintage Gretsch set that I had custom built in 1977...............I'd never part with it..............big drums that were popular in that period............bass = 24.............toms = 13, 14, 15 & 18..........monster sound.
I own a white pearl snare that was built in 1955...........great (very warm) sound.
I'm old.................you really ought to have a 70s Marshall double stack............and a Fender twin.............in addition to the Mesa..............they all still kick a$$.

poppachubby
04-15-2010, 06:45 AM
I play bass through an Ampeg V4. I've had it since for 16 years now. I wouldn't dream of replacing it. HOWEVER, my general thought on upgrading gear, particularily once you hit the pro mark, is to get what you need, when you can afford it.

I always ask myself, do I need this? Is there enough scrill rolling in from gigs or whatever to justify it?

If you're playing in small clubs and realise your amp doesn't have the drive to fill a deep/long venue, you need something new. You probably also have the funds coming in to accomodate it.

If you're in a basement or jamming in a garage once a week, your Mesa will fit the bill. I agree with Dean, tube rolling or upgrading will breath new life into the amp.

Besides, you have a killer amp. Why the lust?

Swish
04-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I play bass through an Ampeg V4. I've had it since for 16 years now. I wouldn't dream of replacing it. HOWEVER, my general thought on upgrading gear, particularily once you hit the pro mark, is to get what you need, when you can afford it.

I always ask myself, do I need this? Is there enough scrill rolling in from gigs or whatever to justify it?

If you're playing in small clubs and realise your amp doesn't have the drive to fill a deep/long venue, you need something new. You probably also have the funds coming in to accomodate it.

If you're in a basement or jamming in a garage once a week, your Mesa will fit the bill. I agree with Dean, tube rolling or upgrading will breath new life into the amp.

Besides, you have a killer amp. Why the lust?

...after hearing the Egnater and reading the reviews, I was smitten and thought it might be a good time to sell my Mesa. The Mark III is highly regarding by blues players especially, and I know I could get at least $1,000 for it, but I guess I should just hang onto it and be happy. Thanks for the input!

poppachubby
04-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey no problem, sometimes you need to hear it from other people. There are MANY great bass amps out there, but I have come to terms with my Ampeg, and love it. Besides, it has the most badazz tone you've ever heard.

bobsticks
04-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Whattup GSwish-dizzy...

Old thread, yes, but I gotta speak up...that Mesa is a killer. I looked at 'em years back but the rumours (unfounded) were that the tubes could be ubreliable on the road. I went with a GK head through Celestion cabs run in stereo with a Rowland Jazz Chorus...good for the times but I always wondered.

Recently, a friend with the Mesa took the much-heralded Hughes and Ketner out for a test spin...not even close...

The grass is always greener, y'know but given the economy and the market value, I doubt you'll recoup enough to make it worth your time and you might just miss that special tone. Remember, the politics of musical equipment reviews is no different than that of stereo gear.

As an aside, now in my mellower years, I'm looking at a Resonator...

Swish
04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Whattup GSwish-dizzy...

Old thread, yes, but I gotta speak up...that Mesa is a killer. I looked at 'em years back but the rumours (unfounded) were that the tubes could be ubreliable on the road. I went with a GK head through Celestion cabs run in stereo with a Rowland Jazz Chorus...good for the times but I always wondered.

Recently, a friend with the Mesa took the much-heralded Hughes and Ketner out for a test spin...not even close...

The grass is always greener, y'know but given the economy and the market value, I doubt you'll recoup enough to make it worth your time and you might just miss that special tone. Remember, the politics of musical equipment reviews is no different than that of stereo gear.

As an aside, now in my mellower years, I'm looking at a Resonator...

...use to have a GK amp but scraped it for a Mesa years ago and never looked back. He does mostly acoustic gigs these days, so no need for electric amps, but he never had a problem with the tubes and used to play out 2 or 3 times per week for years.

I'm sticking with it, even if I decide to buy the Egnater, although with my casual playing it may be a tad compulsive. I'm still kicking myself for selling my Mu-Tron III pedal, even though I didn't use it often. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one that needs repair as they usually go for $100 or less and can be repaired for about that much. In nice condition, they sell for upwards of $400.