Infinity Overture 1s - muddy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Overture 1s - muddy

tojohndillonesq
04-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I am running these with a pretty good Onkyo receiver and they sound REALLY muddy. I had never noticed until I hooked up my Magnepans on the same receiver. The Mags had no bottom of course, but they were SO clean! Suggestions on how to clean these up, or is this what they are?

Thanks!

Scott

eisforelectronic
04-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Are these the old semi bookshelf with the active side firing woofer from the mid/late nineties? I never thought those were particularly clean sounding to begin with and that goes for the whole Overture line actually. I always thought it had a lot to do with the quality of the active system (woofer/amp). I think the Reference line used pretty much the same drivers and they were decent.

TheHills44060
04-07-2010, 04:01 AM
I had a pair from the reference line years ago which shared the same type of drivers. For the price i got them at they were decent but they were not impressive by any means. From the stories I've heard i'm pretty sure the electronics on the overtures are less than reliable. First time i saw them in the store they definitely caught my eye though.

Mr Peabody
04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I had an Onkyo stereo receiver and I kept the bass below -0- which gave more of a punch and less muffle. I notice on certain receivers and especially factory car stereos the bass at flat and above is just too much, turn it down and it becomes more accurate, or, as close to accurate as it's capable.

Meddle
04-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I have the same speakers. Keeps the subs dialed down to half-way or less and take the grilles off. Give 'em a good clean signal and they should do ok. Also, consider your placement. I have them on heavy marble top counters and the subs are facing outward.

FWIW, my rig is nothing special. It's a Marantz 2275.

Mr Peabody
04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Yip, when the bass isn't right most people turn the gain up, for some reason they seem to think it just goes one direction. If they ever find it goes back the other direction as well they might be surprised at what can be accomplished.