Anyone tried something like this set up? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried something like this set up?

Poultrygeist
04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
http://www.bottlehead.com/loosep/S.E.Xy%20speakers.html

Feanor
04-07-2010, 04:55 AM
http://www.bottlehead.com/loosep/S.E.Xy%20speakers.html
I'm not convinced that full-range, (or high bass to treble), speakers really work -- no driver excepting electrostatic panels can do this.

Note that the article mentions that the Fostex are highly directional, a disadvantage under most circumstances. I notice to that the design includes filters to adjust the midrange and treble response. Once you get start to use these filters you defeat the purpose of full-range drivers, i.e. no crossover. No: it is invalid to say you get the "integration" of single driver; you don't because the single driver does not, in fact, behave the same way at all frequencies, so the supposed integration is fiction.

3LB
04-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Feanor is, for the most part, right, but intergration is in the ear of the beholder. Those Fostex are great sounding drivers, with good, usable extension down to 80hz, so I don't know why they designed a bookshelf monitor that didn't take that into consideration. But then again...

I have no idea why someone would go the expense of a Fostex (or any similarly priced FR) and then introduce filters and contours in the mix...you may as well build two- or three-ways, especially if you have feel you need two bass modules.

Some times you want a point source. All conical drivers are directional. I've had great success with bipole designs - many others go the dipole route. Single, FR drivers are fun to listen at moderate volumes but fall apart at high volumes.

But ultimately, there is no free lunch in audio. There is no way a driver can do true low bass without sacrificing upper frequencies, and vice versa. Whizzer cones help, but introduce nasty peaks in the upper mids. You can design a filter to compensate (see 2nd paragraph). I like FRs in wideband applications.

I'm currently listening to an FR pair in bass/reflex with two bass modules, and super tweeters, to good effect ~ love the wideband driver concept. Are they truely intergrated? I don't want to think about it that hard. They sound good to me. That's what DIY is all about.

poppachubby
04-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Funny 3LB, I heard a wondeful DIY pair using a Fostex driver and a couple of Electro Voice woofers. 3-way with the rear panel open. Each was powered with a DIY tube monoblack and sounded marvelous. Apparently they are a work in progress...

3LB
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
My setup is a pair of Radio Shake 1354 5.25" FRs running full monty with a supertweeter (some old Kenwood thing). Two 1354s in each box arranged in bipolar config w/ forward firing 8" PR. The bass module pair is two Polk 6.5" woofers with rear firing 10" PR. Yes, I am biamping.

The setup you described is very popular among tubeheads. Fostex FR drivers are superb across the spectrum w/ smooth articulate midrange. The EV is prolly a PA woofer - most PA woofers won't plumb the depths but are very efficient down to 45hz, even in OBs. Many DIYers like the Eminence line of woofers.

I've read rave reviews regarding Audio Nirvana FR drivers. They have sizes 5.25" thru 15"- I have yet to read about anyone using those...yet.

Poultrygeist
04-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Feanor,

If you're not convinced FR's work you've never heard these babies. Wish you could come to Hornfest in Leesville, SC the last weekend in April and hear them for yourself. Lots of beer, BBQ and a pair of HS horns driven by the mighty GM 70. Come on down!

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/model1.html

Feanor
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Feanor,

If you're not convinced FR's work you've never heard these babies. Wish you could come to Hornfest in Leesville, SC the last weekend in April and hear them for yourself. Lots of beer, BBQ and a pair of HS horns driven by the mighty GM 70. Come on down!

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/model1.html
Wish I could make it, Poulty, but unfortunately it can't happen. :(