Uriah Heep- Celebration, Forty Years Of Rock [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uriah Heep- Celebration, Forty Years Of Rock

Finch Platte
04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Wow- I don't see anything about this over at Progressive Ears.

Anyhoo...

From the get-go, I should caution buyer beware, but really, who's going to buy this? Surely not your pimply teenager. Most likely, any Heep fan (Heepies? Arrrgh) will buy this, no matter what I say. Just heed my words, you're probably not getting what you may think this is.

I could have swored this was going to be a live set- not sure what led me to believe this, could it have maybe have been the picture on the back of THEM PLAYING LIVE, and the song listing of mostly familiar songs? Color me confused, especially after getting outside the store & checking out the enclosed booklet, with pictures of various UH members PLAYING LIVE!?! Ok, will this be a live set, with maybe a couple new songs thrown in. Nope. All studio, with a couple of new songs added. The other songs? REMAKES. Yup- remakes of classic Heep songs. Some sped up a tad, and some with the vocalist vamping a little on the tried 'n' true Byron stylings. Methinks they were rehearsing for a tour, and (The Only Original Member Left) Mick Box said "What the hey, let's record these rehearsals, put 'em out on a disc & see if those pimply 53-year olds buy it. What have we got to lose? Hand me the Metamucil, wouldja? And get that bridge club outta here- oh, those are groupies?!? Ewwww!"

Don't get me wrong, I like this disc. I was a fan wayyy back when, around the time of Magician's Birthday, Demons & Wizards and Sweet Freedom, in the early seventies. They lost me at Return To Fantasy, and I fell by the wayside. Byron and Thain (bass) kicked the bucket, Ken Hensley (keyboards) disappeared and UH (mainly Mick Box) soldiered on with different band members, suspect material and the occasional 3-star release (see AllMusic). I fell back in love with these guys after hearing 2008's disc, the wah wah laden Wake The Sleeper, an all-original-songs return to form, with (chief guitar wah wah abuser) Mick Box. That disc is in my all-time top 25, I'm only slightly ashamed to say.

On Wake The Sleeper & this disc, Bernie Shaw sounds enough like Byron on the old stuff & new for you traditionalists, and there's plenty of keyboard in the mix for you who appreciate 'em, along with Box's fiery fretwork (sheesh, did I just type that?). Workman-like drumming & bass playing fill any holes that are left. Uriah Heep is back in the Prog Top 100, and they sound like they have enough energy to remain for a while. Hope they'll tour the States soon. I'd go- break out the walkers & wheelchairs!

Track listing:

1) Only Human (new track). No guitar (wah wah or no) solo in this one. Bummer! Nothing special about this track.
2) Bird Of Prey remake (from Salisbury, 1971)
3) Sunrise remake (from The Magician's Birthday, 1972)
4) Stealin' remake (from Sweet Freedom, 1973)
5) Corridors Of Madness (new track). This is a better track than Only Human. More personality, and Bolder on bass shines. Typical UH harmonies (that's a good thing), and a couple of guitar solos and a keyboard solo boost this track to Wake The Sleeper quality.
6) Between Two Worlds remake (from Sonic Origami, 1998)
7) The Wizard remake (Demons & Wizards, 1972)
8) Free Me remake (InnocentVictim, 1977)
9) Free 'n' Easy remake (InnocentVictim, 1977)
10) Gypsy remake (Ver 'Eavy, Very 'Umble, 1970)
11) Look At Yourself remake (Look At Yourself, 1971)
12) July Morning remake (Look At Yourself, 1971)
13) Easy Livin' remake (Demons & Wizards, 1972)
14) Lady In Black remake (Salisbury, 1971)

If you're a fan, buy it!

Mick Box- Guitar, vocals
Trevor Bolder- Bass, vocals
Phil Lanzon- Keyboards, vocals
Bernie Shaw- Lead vocals
Russell Gilbrook- Drums, vocals

3LB
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't think I recall there being any "new" Uriah Heep. I'll look for a used copy tonight (if I go).

MasterCylinder
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
I liked Uriah Heep during the above-mentioned albums.
In 1973, while working for a major sound company, I mixed monitors on a short Southern US tour with UH.............the music was pretty solid, but David Byron was a total a$$hole......made the job difficult. However, he loved our slant-back monitors and we sold him one for $500................it was worth half that.

Hyfi
04-06-2010, 01:14 PM
They just sold out a show here before I got tickets.......and most of the ticket holders are from PE. I recently realized there are a whole lot of pretty local people on that board.

Mr Peabody
04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
98, 2008? I didn't know there was anything that recent by UH either. I'll have to check it out.

I wonder what the story is with Hensley? He lived here in St.L for a long time and had a small studio. I heard he moved from here though, possibly Cali.

3LB
04-07-2010, 07:46 AM
so Finch, if you peruse PE, do you ever post?

3LB
04-07-2010, 07:56 AM
I recently realized there are a whole lot of pretty loco people on that board. Yeah, but they are an entertaining bunch ain't they? At least you're closer to a lot of festivals, just don't give out your real name! if you attend ;)

Finch Platte
04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
so Finch, if you peruse PE, do you ever post?

Nope.

3LB
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Nope.
why not?

Canadian Heepguy
11-27-2011, 04:26 AM
Celebration was a dumb record company idea IMO. Most of these tracks [save for the 2 new ones, which are both good] have appeared on multiple live albums w/ Bernie Shaw singing already.
If you like this era of the band, go right back to Sea Of Light [1995] -- Great album, Roger Dean artwork; the follow up Sonic Origami [98] was also good, tho less heavy.

as for Ken, he lives in Spain now. Has released a few great solo albums over the past decade.