Who goes to film festivals? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who goes to film festivals?

dean_martin
04-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I stumbled on the Florida Film Festival website too late for this year, but I'm keeping it on my radar for next year (although this year's line-up looks great and Emma Stone will be there).

http://www.floridafilmfestival.com/

Over the last 10 years or so it seems that local and regional film festivals have been popping up all over the place - some lack new releases, some focus on local or regional films/film makers, others are limited by theme. Any of you guys attend film festivals? What criteria do you look for, e.g., new release debuts, themes, genres, local films, variety, etc.?

Troy
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
No-o. Isn't it mostly industry people that do festivals? Cuz it's, you know, free, for them.

ForeverAutumn
04-06-2010, 04:06 PM
I've often considered going to films at the Toronto International Film Festival but it's expensive and sells out quickly. It's easier to wait for the films that I want to see to hit the theatres or DVD.

poppachubby
04-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I've been to a few at the Toronto F.F. which is quite a sizable and important festival. They have all manner of films, just find the roster and pick a genre you're interested in.

Kam
04-07-2010, 06:59 AM
I've been to a few of the New York festivals. The biggest problem with most film festivals is they are vanity festivals. Although it all depends on what your own perspective is and reason for the festival is. But a vast majority are crap festivals with crap work in it.

People are so accustomed to seeing those 'palm fronds' symbols on indie film posters/ads as an indicator of some worth for the film in the indie market, but they've really lost their meaning as"official selection of xyz festival" doesn't mean anything. there's a handful of festivals around the world that really mean something on the indie circuit, and generally they're the ones that are the toughest to get tickets to.

eisforelectronic
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I always go to the Hawaii International Film Festival. We have a Spring showcase and a larger one in Fall.

http://hiff.org/

Worf101
04-08-2010, 03:54 AM
My friend Sugi....

www.spectrum8.com

Goes to Toronto all the time. I live vicariously through her and find out the skinny before mere mortals do. One day I'm gonna go for myself. I'd love to meet, greet and hob nob.

Worf

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I've been to a few of the New York festivals. The biggest problem with most film festivals is they are vanity festivals. Although it all depends on what your own perspective is and reason for the festival is. But a vast majority are crap festivals with crap work in it.

People are so accustomed to seeing those 'palm fronds' symbols on indie film posters/ads as an indicator of some worth for the film in the indie market, but they've really lost their meaning as"official selection of xyz festival" doesn't mean anything. there's a handful of festivals around the world that really mean something on the indie circuit, and generally they're the ones that are the toughest to get tickets to.

Kam, having attended many film festivals since I started in the film industry, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly. Sundance is a good film festival and so it the Tribeca film festival. Beyond those two, the rest do seem like crap. There is two festivals that I attended yearly, and that is the Hollywood Black Film festival, and the Los Angeles Latino film festival. Those two festivals have always been great fun for me.

Kam
04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Kam, having attended many film festivals since I started in the film industry, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly. Sundance is a good film festival and so it the Tribeca film festival. Beyond those two, the rest do seem like crap. There is two festivals that I attended yearly, and that is the Hollywood Black Film festival, and the Los Angeles Latino film festival. Those two festivals have always been great fun for me.

i haven't been to either yet, but the Austin Filmfest and Houston Worldfest both seem to be making strides and having more deals cut there, thereby drawing in some quality work.