A choice of hifi under 1000$, Triangle, Infinity, Monitor Audio, Arcam [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A choice of hifi under 1000$, Triangle, Infinity, Monitor Audio, Arcam

Angevoi
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Greetings all! This is my first post ^^

Im about to upgrade my whole hifi. I have not much possibilities to listen to various hifis but i trust reviews and opinions when i read a lot.
I managed to get in the direction to get Monitor Audio RS1 speakers with some Arcam Alpha amps. I prefer airy, detailed sound, large space.. they dont need to be too powerful.
I have a Yamaha AX870 amp and two speakers, Triangle Scalene and Infinity Alpha 20.
I think the amp is which is the most important to be changed, and im still thinking, do i need to change speakers. Ive heard lots of good things about Triangle, but not about my serie, its lost from the internet.
So my main question, do you think if i need Monitor A. RS1 instead of Triangle Scalene or Infinity? Please tell me your suggestions.

blackraven
04-05-2010, 09:22 PM
What speakers do you own now? I'm not quite clear on that. I own a pair of Monitor Audi S1's which are an older version of the RS1's and they are anything but airy and detailed. I would look at dynaudio or B&W's. I'm not a fan or Triangles. My friend has a pair of Triangle towers that he paid $3k for and he is trying to sell for about $1250pr. They are detailed, crisp but need a sub as bass is very tight and fast but weak. They are exceptionally bright even with an ARC tube preamp, Belle's amp and a warm sounding Marantz 8001 SACD player.

I would consider Magnepan MMG's, MG12's, PSB and Paradigm speakers as well. For that airy sound you may want to save your money for a tube preamp or amp.

Angevoi
04-06-2010, 02:26 AM
So i own these: Triangle Scalene, Infinity Alpha 20.

The scalene is an old one, from circa 1993. Its different then the new ones, i guess.
It have enough bass, sound spacy but lack of midrange, weak and not detailed well.

So Dynaudio, that one is just expensive to me. As ive read it have very natural sound, they are not efficient and needs big power. Thats not what im looking for..
About B&W, i've read Monitor Audio is more nice, more detailed speaker however B&W's have a bigger fan club.. maybe because B&Ws have more bass! and less bright, more like laid back sound which ppl are like.

I'll take a look at valve amps. i didnt think valve=airy, my father's revox with Goodmans tower sounded better then his fancy valve stuff.

harley .guy07
04-06-2010, 03:32 AM
The last thing B&W's are are warm, They are very bright with most models and years except for some of the early models before the kevlar cone midrange and metal dome tweeter but since somewhere around the late 80's early to mid 90's they have had the same detailed but in your face and ear bleeding brightness that have pushed me away from them and I used to manage a shop that was a B&W dealer. If you like a lot of detail and air to your sound with real good dynamics I would think about the Paradigms studio or signature series, not sure what your budget is but these speakers are very detailed(a little too much for me at times in the treble) and dynamic and can handle a lot of power but also can sound good with a moderate amount as well.

jrhymeammo
04-06-2010, 05:42 AM
They are detailed, crisp but need a sub as bass is very tight and fast but weak. They are exceptionally bright even with an ARC tube preamp, Belle's amp and a warm sounding Marantz 8001 SACD player.

I mostly agree with above statement.
I used to own a pair of Comet (EX I believe...), and thought they are treble happy, but did not pierce my ears. Bass is very tight and fast as stated above, but does not go deep.
The cabinets were very thin and has always thought it was one of their weak point.

Are you considering to purchase a new pair or can you go used?
Happy Listening,

JRA

jrhymeammo
04-06-2010, 05:56 AM
They are detailed, crisp but need a sub as bass is very tight and fast but weak. They are exceptionally bright even with an ARC tube preamp, Belle's amp and a warm sounding Marantz 8001 SACD player.

I mostly agree with above statement.
I used to own a pair of Comet (EX I believe...), and thought they are treble happy, but did not pierce my ears. Bass is very tight and fast as stated above, but does not go deep.
The cabinets were very thin and has always thought it was one of their weak point.

Are you considering to purchase a new pair or can you go used?
Happy Listening,

JRA

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
JRA,
Did you just spit up in stereo? And its delayed as well. Out of phase stereo posts!

Does that mean there is cancellation in your posts? Just sayin LOLOL

Angevoi
04-06-2010, 12:07 PM
used! I'll buy something just used.

blackraven
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Valve or tube amps tend to be more airy. You can go with a Valve preamp and and a solid state amp to get that nice airy sound, I use a hybrid valve preamp and DAC and a nice solid state amp to get that nice air, transparency and wide sound stage.