PS3 Update Interupted Dilemma [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Update Interupted Dilemma

Hairsonfire
04-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Sir T - thought you might have a fix for this as I am now getting a "Seek Service" message. Somehow the update was interupted and I am hoping to not have to mail it back to Sony. Your wisdom and time is greatly appreciated.

Hairsonfire
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, hope this helps anyone else with this problem. According to Sony, you need to download the latest update (big one came out on 1 April) on to a Thumb Drive and then plug it into the USB Port on your PS3 BEFORE you plug in the PS3. It is available on the Sony PS3 Support Web page. Further bulletins as events warrant.

Rich-n-Texas
04-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Wait... What? What's going on here? Am I running the risk of breaking something if I try to download an update? Or is this only because your update was interrupted, and this is the fix? :confused:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Hairsonfire,
Sorry I couldn't get to you in time, extremely busy day.

I tried downloading the update, but it kept crashing my PS3, so I am going to skip it until I HAVE to do it.

This update does not add anything, but takes away the option to add your own OS which was a selling point for many early adopters. In just reading the comments over the net, it looks like Sony is taking a huge PR hit for removing options instead of adding them.

04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Wait... What? What's going on here? Am I running the risk of breaking something if I try to download an update? Or is this only because your update was interrupted, and this is the fix? :confused:

It was because his update was interrupted.

Hairsonfire
04-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Well, after a very frustrating and convoluted evolution with Sony Customer Service I am now waiting for them to send me shipping instructions. Like I said, love the PS3, hate Sony. It's just a shame that such an excellently performing product is backed by such a faceless and anonymous system. I only purchased this unit on 22 Jan of this year. Arrgh.

Worf101
04-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Well, after a very frustrating and convoluted evolution with Sony Customer Service I am now waiting for them to send me shipping instructions. Like I said, love the PS3, hate Sony. It's just a shame that such an excellently performing product is backed by such a faceless and anonymous system. I only purchased this unit on 22 Jan of this year. Arrgh.

shoulda bought the oppo

Worf

L.J.
04-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Ouch...I downloaded and installed the update directly from my PS3 with no problems. Haven't tried my 2nd one yet(both slims).

My 60g died again and this time it's not under warranty. Gonna try to fix it myself (YLOD) when I get a minute :nonod:

GMichael
04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
I don't download updates until I see that the bugs are worked out. Still waiting on this one.

bfalls
04-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Has anyone heard what happens if you update and already have an additional OS on the PS3? Does the update disable the installed OS, or just not allow you to load one? If it doesn't disable an installed OS wait until you decide if you want one before performing the update. I think I would also update to a larger drive to ensure you won't run out of space later.

04-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Has anyone heard what happens if you update and already have an additional OS on the PS3? Does the update disable the installed OS, or just not allow you to load one? If it doesn't disable an installed OS wait until you decide if you want one before performing the update. I think I would also update to a larger drive to ensure you won't run out of space later.

If you install the firmware downgrade and have the OS, the OS will disappear along with all the data you have. Back up your data first, and then do the download if you like.

For me upgrading the hard drive was one of the first things I did when I really got into this great machine. 2 years later, I still do not hear the fan noise everyone is talking about.

04-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Ouch...I downloaded and installed the update directly from my PS3 with no problems. Haven't tried my 2nd one yet(both slims).

My 60g died again and this time it's not under warranty. Gonna try to fix it myself (YLOD) when I get a minute :nonod:

Scuuze me mister, but the poor thing is probably just begging for a break. You know how you gamers are! LOL

Hairsonfire
04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
As always, sincerely appreciate your reply. I am waiting for the shipping box from Sony. Hopefully it won't take too long!

L.J.
04-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Scuuze me mister, but the poor thing is probably just begging for a break. You know how you gamers are! LOL

Yeah I put some major hours on that thing.

Surprised it didn't blow up sooner :rolleyes5:

BR.com has full instructions for fixing the problem so maybe I can get this baby up and running again. No way I'm paying Sony $150 though. May as well get a new one.

04-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah I put some major hours on that thing.

Surprised it didn't blow up sooner :rolleyes5:

BR.com has full instructions for fixing the problem so maybe I can get this baby up and running again. No way I'm paying Sony $150 though. May as well get a new one.

What is your impression of the slims versus the phat boys? Any performance differences? I have multiple players of the 60GB and early 80GB with SACD, and have not purchased a new one yet.

jvc
04-08-2010, 03:11 PM
shoulda bought the oppo

Worf
I have an Oppo, and am still worried about doing updates.
Oppo plainly states that if a firmware update is interrupted, you basically have a $500 paperweight. Power at our house is apt to go out at any minute, any time of the day or night. It does it fairly frequently. I did one update on my Oppo, and was sweating bullets the whole time.

Quote from Oppo's firmware page:

Warning: Although firmware upgrade is an easy and usually trouble-free process, it is important to ensure that the power supply to the player is stable, and the upgrade process is not interrupted. A failed firmware upgrade can render the player unusable.
I'm sure they could repair it, but have no idea of the cost........

L.J.
04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
What is your impression of the slims versus the phat boys? Any performance differences? I have multiple players of the 60GB and early 80GB with SACD, and have not purchased a new one yet.

Heat and fan noise. Both not a really big deal. The slims are whisper quiet and produce way less heat. I never really had a problem with noise from my 60 though. Just became noticeable when I swapped in a slim. It was so quiet I didn't even think it was on.

With that said, I'd take a 60 over a slim any day. I have no use for bitstreaming HD audio and don't care for the major loss in functions(SACD, PS2).

BTW, what are your thoughts on Play On? Are you streaming enough content to justify the price. By content I mean FREE. Just canceled my Netflix account. Tired of waiting for new releases when blockbuster is a few blocks away.

GregLee
04-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I downloaded the April 1 update to my PS3 slim a couple of weeks ago. It did get interrupted the first time I tried it, but I just tried it again. No other problem.

winston
04-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Guys I got stuff" on my hands here, my grand son B-day coming up on the May 20Th we had a deal with him for his 13 B-day, that if his (FCAT) showed up with ABs only, he would be rewarded with a PS3 bundle!! (well one could make the argument that the PS3 is an inspirational tool in this regard??!!:smilewinkgrin: ) here is what I found on PS3 bundles??
System # 1
PS3 system 250 GB & controller.
Game-call of duty four.
PS3 BR remote system. total Cost $423 ?
System # 2
PS3 system 120 GB & Controller
One Game, not sure which one it is?
PS3 BR remote system & HDMI cable. $349+FL tax ?

Your Thoughts please?:lol:

GregLee
04-16-2010, 08:51 AM
System #2 might be good, if it has a PS3 slim ($299) and a blu-ray remote ($20 iirc).

L.J.
04-16-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd go with the cheaper package if he has no need for all that HD space.

04-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Heat and fan noise. Both not a really big deal. The slims are whisper quiet and produce way less heat. I never really had a problem with noise from my 60 though. Just became noticeable when I swapped in a slim. It was so quiet I didn't even think it was on.

With that said, I'd take a 60 over a slim any day. I have no use for bitstreaming HD audio and don't care for the major loss in functions(SACD, PS2).

BTW, what are your thoughts on Play On? Are you streaming enough content to justify the price. By content I mean FREE. Just canceled my Netflix account. Tired of waiting for new releases when blockbuster is a few blocks away.

I have to admit it, I love playon big time. The amount of content it has on it is amazing, and it is not just junk though some of it is. I now watch more content on playon than I stream from Netflix. It has great platform support, and it does everything that Tversity and PS3 do as well.(I deleted both from my computer because of this). They keep adding content monthly, and now that I have directly wired my PS3 to my router(instead of wirelessly streaming) the quality and stability has dramatically improved. It is worth the $29 bucks I paid for it.

winston
04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Tanks Greg", L.J."
we ordered it today from walmart" got the 120-GB package with the call of duty four game, (in their choose your bundle on line Promo. they have going on) free in store P/U as we have their $29 per year shipping pass...

Rich-n-Texas
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
So do I continue to ignore this update? I haven't done any since the one before this one which removes alternate OS capability, but I'm wondering if there have been newer ones that would be beneficial.

06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
So do I continue to ignore this update? I haven't done any since the one before this one which removes alternate OS capability, but I'm wondering if there have been newer ones that would be beneficial.

This update has the 3D upgrade for games(even though there are no games right now that you can use with it).

I updated mine, and it plays fine. I don't think you are going to have the problems updated that we had. I think it was a server overload problem that some of us were having while downloading the upgrade the day it was released. Aparently every PS3 owner in the world was doing the same thing the same day.

Go ahead and update, I don't think you are going to have a problem.

Rich-n-Texas
06-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Thank You.

BTW, I was watching a Blue-ray concert the other day and inadvertantly closed the cabinet door while it was playing. PS3 didn't like that too much. When I was done watching and went to eject the disk, I noticed the red LED flashing and the fan sounded like a commercial jet! I shut it off in time though. Not good! :mad2:

kevlarus
06-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Thank You.

BTW, I was watching a Blue-ray concert the other day and inadvertantly closed the cabinet door while it was playing. PS3 didn't like that too much. When I was done watching and went to eject the disk, I noticed the red LED flashing and the fan sounded like a commercial jet! I shut it off in time though. Not good! :mad2:

I imagine the inside of the PS3 was probably near the same temp as that jet engine too..

Hope you caught it in time...

Rich-n-Texas
06-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks. I was able to shut the player down normally by using my remote to scroll back to the System Shutdown option, so I think the basic operations are okay. I guess you could say I have one of the louder PS3's.

kevlarus
06-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks. I was able to shut the player down normally by using my remote to scroll back to the System Shutdown option, so I think the basic operations are okay. I guess you could say I have one of the louder PS3's.

You saying it's still loud even after letting it cool down ?

bobsticks
06-23-2010, 08:05 AM
You saying it's still loud even after letting it cool down ?

The older 60's are noticably louder than the newer slimlines.

Rich-n-Texas
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Because of room conditions (hot Texas afternoons) my PS3's fan probably runs at a faster speed than most others. The room that my PS3 sits in gets hot due to air-conditioning issues, which I solved last weekend by purchasing a window unit. This should help keep all of my equipment a bit cooler and hopefully allow the fan to run at a lower speed. Of course, now that I have a loudish window unit running, I probably won't hear it anymore. But 'sticks is right, the new slimline PS3's are running cooler.