RIP Echo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Echo

ForeverAutumn
04-05-2010, 05:18 AM
My little guinea pig friend, Echo, passed away yesterday. She was a sweet little piggy and friend for more than seven years.

It was an expected passing. She stopped eating and drinking on Friday and by Saturday it was apparent that she was in declining health. Almost two years ago she was given a life expectancy of only a few months but she hung on strong well beyond that time and right up until the end.

She now joins her sister Ginger in GP heaven, where I am sure that they are frolicking in a nice sunny field and nibbling on dandilion leaves together.

Feanor
04-05-2010, 05:54 AM
My little guinea pig friend, Echo, passed away yesterday. She was a sweet little piggy and friend for more than seven years.

It was an expected passing. She stopped eating and drinking on Friday and by Saturday it was apparent that she was in declining health. Almost two years ago she was given a life expectancy of only a few months but she hung on strong well beyond that time and right up until the end.

She now joins her sister Ginger in GP heaven, where I am sure that they are frolicking in a nice sunny field and nibbling on dandilion leaves together.
My condolences, FA. I know how attached we can become to our pets. I grieved quite intensely for several days when our last dog died; in his case it was unexpected which made it worse probably.

As a matter of fact my mother passed away suddenly just a few days ago at age 91. In her case although the final event was a surprise, I knew she was in failing health. She had lived a full life, beloved by many family and friends and it was best that she went without suffering.

It is a strange admission, but in a way, though I'm deeply saddened by my mother's passing and will miss her for the rest of my life, the death of my dog had a stronger immediate impact.

ForeverAutumn
04-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Feanor, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. My deep condolences to you and your family.

Worf101
04-05-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm sorry for both your losses. One normally wouldn't equate a parent with a pet, but I'm learning how much some people consider 4 leggers "family". As Feanor stated, sometimes we feel the loss of pets more. All my family are "gone" cept my sister Denise and my own wife and son. I've been where you are Feanor and it's not an easy place. I've no platitudes other than, I feel your losses.

Worf

Groundbeef
04-05-2010, 07:30 AM
That is horrible news. I'm so sorry that you lost your little pet! The family really enjoys ours and remember how sad it was when Cinderella passed about 1.5 years ago.

Noel was purchased just in time for Christmas 2009, and has been enjoying her new home.

BTW if you look for a new piggy, there are in short supply here in the USA. After the release of the film "G-Force" apparently there has been quite a run on them.

Here are my piggies after attending a conspiracy conference. They had a great time.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/anonpix_photo/IMAG0052.jpg

GMichael
04-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Sorry to read about both of your losses. It's always tough to lose a loved one of any kind. Love is love no matter who or what you feel it for. I hope that time heals you swiftly.

Feanor
04-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Sorry to read about both of your losses. It's always tough to lose a loved one of any kind. Love is love no matter who or what you feel it for. I hope that time heals you swiftly.
Thanks to all for your condolences.

dean_martin
04-05-2010, 09:49 AM
My condolences, FA. Lately, I think about my dog Roxie a lot while I'm away from home. She's starting to really show signs of her arthritis in her back hips.

To our pets.

ForeverAutumn
04-05-2010, 10:58 AM
That is horrible news. I'm so sorry that you lost your little pet! The family really enjoys ours and remember how sad it was when Cinderella passed about 1.5 years ago.

Noel was purchased just in time for Christmas 2009, and has been enjoying her new home.

BTW if you look for a new piggy, there are in short supply here in the USA. After the release of the film "G-Force" apparently there has been quite a run on them.

Here are my piggies after attending a conspiracy conference. They had a great time.

LMAO! Thanks Beefy. That picture brightened my day!

ForeverAutumn
04-05-2010, 11:11 AM
My condolences, FA. Lately, I think about my dog Roxie a lot while I'm away from home. She's starting to really show signs of her arthritis in her back hips.

To our pets.

To our pets.

What kind of dog is that? She looks part Sheppard, part Sasquatch! :D

You should try putting some glucosamine in her food. One of our cats periodically shows signs of a hip problem. Our vet recommended that we put Glucosamine in her breakfast and it made a huge difference. She's off it now, but whenever we can see that her hip is bothering her we start it up again for a few weeks. The brand that we use is Omega Alpha (http://www.omegaalpha.ca/) (it's chicken flavoured :)) but there are other brands for pets. I know some people who use human supplements for their pets too.

dean_martin
04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
To our pets.

What kind of dog is that? She looks part Sheppard, part Sasquatch! :D

You should try putting some glucosamine in her food. One of our cats periodically shows signs of a hip problem. Our vet recommended that we put Glucosamine in her breakfast and it made a huge difference. She's off it now, but whenever we can see that her hip is bothering her we start it up again for a few weeks. The brand that we use is Omega Alpha (http://www.omegaalpha.ca/) (it's chicken flavoured :)) but there are other brands for pets. I know some people who use human supplements for their pets too.

According to the vet, she's a Rottie-Chow mix. She looked like a bear cub when she was a puppy. I've seen pics of this mix online. Lots of similarities, but I haven't seen one with hair as long as hers. We tried shaving her last Summer for the first time. She was extremely embarassed.

Thanks for the info on glucosamine. We have some chewable tablets from the vet, but she turns her nose up at them until she's really hurting. I've been looking for something different to try.

ForeverAutumn
04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
According to the vet, she's a Rottie-Chow mix. She looked like a bear cub when she was a puppy. I've seen pics of this mix online. Lots of similarities, but I haven't seen one with hair as long as hers. We tried shaving her last Summer for the first time. She was extremely embarassed.

Thanks for the info on glucosamine. We have some chewable tablets from the vet, but she turns her nose up at them until she's really hurting. I've been looking for something different to try.

Well she's beautiful. Very regal looking.

I notice that I didn't mention in my post that the Glucosamine we use is a liquid. We just mix a teaspoon in Brandy's wet food in the morning. She doesn't even seem to notice that it's there. If you can't find liquid in the pet version, I've seen it for humans in health food stores. I also read in a pet forum that some people buy capsules (for humans) and open the capsule and mix the powder in their pet's food. But what I like about the pet version is that it's appropriately flavoured.

I haven't tried them with my animals, but I've heard from other people that Pill Pockets (http://www.greenies.com/en_US/Products/Dogpillpockets.aspx) work too. You might be able to trick your dog into chewing the pills that the vet gave you with them.

dean_martin
04-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Well she's beautiful. Very regal looking.

Thanks. Those are my sentiments exactly. When I first heard the title of Andrew Bird's last album, I thought of her.

Noble Beast

And she came off the back of a pickup truck in the K-Mart parking lot on Christmas Eve.

dean_martin
04-05-2010, 04:48 PM

Great pic! They look like they're getting a signal.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Ahhhh damn FA and Feanor, I am sorry about both of your losses. My dog Darnell passed away Christmas of last year, and it had been terribly difficult for me to get past it. He went everywhere with me, and was a great car traveling buddy. The best thing I did for myself is to find two rescues that absolutely bring joy to my life.

In just two weeks I am going to be a certified doggy psychologist and trainer thanks to the dog whisperer himself - the great Cesar Milan. After reading everyone of his books, watching all of his DVD's, and doing a lot of dog training over the years, I am finally going to his rehabilitation center for two weeks of intensive training there, and then off to Hawaii for three weeks rest. My new dogs Bodi and Pepper will be coming with me for the training. These two dogs have been the hardest two dogs to train. One is a ****zu/Ilasa Apso mix, very stubborn and difficult to train. You have to basically "break"(meaning cut them no slack) this kind of dog before you can train it. Pepper is a pitbull/lab mix, and this sweetheart of a dog has an energy level that is off the chart. I take this dog running with me 5 times a week just so I can train him.

I always do better when I fill the void when my dog passes. The new dog(s) will not be the same as the old one(s), but they are a chance to create new memories.

kexodusc
04-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Losing a loved one is never easy...my condolensces to all of you who remind me how fortunate I still am to have my pets and parents healthy and well. Knock on wood.

Rich-n-Texas
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
My condolences to both FA and Feanor. I dread the day that I have to say goodbye to my Thelma and Louise, but that's part of life.

ForeverAutumn
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks Rich.

Although I have to admit that I feel a little petty mourning my guinea pig when Feanor just lost his mother.

JohnMichael
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM
FA and Feanor I am sorry I am late to this thread. My condolences to both of you.

ForeverAutumn
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
In just two weeks I am going to be a certified doggy psychologist and trainer thanks to the dog whisperer himself - the great Cesar Milan. After reading everyone of his books, watching all of his DVD's, and doing a lot of dog training over the years, I am finally going to his rehabilitation center for two weeks of intensive training there, and then off to Hawaii for three weeks rest. My new dogs Bodi and Pepper will be coming with me for the training. These two dogs have been the hardest two dogs to train. One is a ****zu/Ilasa Apso mix, very stubborn and difficult to train. You have to basically "break"(meaning cut them no slack) this kind of dog before you can train it. Pepper is a pitbull/lab mix, and this sweetheart of a dog has an energy level that is off the chart. I take this dog running with me 5 times a week just so I can train him.

That's very cool! I'd love to do that. Maybe once you're certified you can help me with my cats. They have issues.

GMichael
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
That's very cool! I'd love to do that. Maybe once you're certified you can help me with my cats. They have issues.

All cats have mental issues. It’s in their nature.

Feanor
04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks Rich.

Although I have to admit that I feel a little petty mourning my guinea pig when Feanor just lost his mother.
It's my fault, FA. :arf:

Groundbeef
04-07-2010, 06:38 AM
All cats have mental issues. It’s in their nature.

It took me a while GM, but I found an old picture of you and your cat. :p

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/anonpix_photo/Laurence.jpg

GMichael
04-07-2010, 06:49 AM

That is NOT my cat.

Here she is.:thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
04-07-2010, 07:25 AM

Creepy! :eek6:

(Not the cat)

Groundbeef
04-07-2010, 07:27 AM
That is NOT my cat.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize they had 'loaner' cats at the photography studio. :eek6:

GMichael
04-07-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize they had 'loaner' cats at the photography studio. :eek6:

She was a rental. Only $27.50 per pic. (plus 9.99 per print sheet)

Groundbeef
04-07-2010, 08:05 AM
I feel bad for hijacking this thread now.:nonod:

ForeverAutumn
04-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Don't. It was funny! :D

Groundbeef
04-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Don't. It was funny! :D

Oh...alright then!

She was a rental. Only $27.50 per pic. (plus 9.99 per print sheet)

Well if your rental cat got $27.50/pic, how much do you reckon these kitties got? Can you say 'Hazard Pay'?

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/anonpix_photo/rob-twocats.jpg

ForeverAutumn
04-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Oh, that's not pretty. It's a good thing that they had big cats.

GMichael
04-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Hope they were de-clawed!:eek6:

Rich-n-Texas
04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
You better check them both for cat scratches GM. :yikes:

04-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Oh, that's not pretty. It's a good thing that they had big cats.

Even the big cats couldn't keep the photo from killing ones appetite.

JohnMichael
04-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Oh...alright then!

Well if your rental cat got $27.50/pic, how much do you reckon these kitties got? Can you say 'Hazard Pay'?

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/anonpix_photo/rob-twocats.jpg

Dude needs a double breasted jacket.

04-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Dude already has two breasts, why does he need more?

GMichael
04-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Dude already has two breasts, why does he need more?
As cover?

Groundbeef
04-08-2010, 05:20 AM

No, clearly he needs a larger cat.

Rich-n-Texas
04-08-2010, 06:16 AM
That's pix & his sister!!! I KNEW they looked familiar!

And I'll tell ya something else... those two cats look VERY annoyed.

GMichael
04-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Someone call PETA quick.