I won 2 tickets to see The Hold Steady. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I won 2 tickets to see The Hold Steady.

Swish
04-04-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't recall anyone here raving about this band, but I think they're pretty decent overall. It's uncomplicated and fun rock for the most part. Any fans out there?

I was actually at a show to benefit Haiti on Friday night as my son-in-law's former band, Movies With Heroes, got together to do a 5 song set. They haven't played together in 3 years, so it was really good to see them together again. Many of you know about them as we traveled to London to see them when they did a tour of Europe nearly 4 years ago, and I posted a bunch of stuff about them and some of you checked out their My Space page.

Anyway, there were about 5 other bands on the bill, but we left after MWH. They did a nice job and the crowd finally got into the show after the first few acts weren't very good. My only issue was the muddled mess that was the sound system. It wasn't their stuff and the mix was pretty bad. you could barely make out the vocals and the bass and drums dominated the sound field.

I did buy $5.00 in raffle tickets and ended up winning the Hold Steady tix and also won another prize which was about 7 or 8 cds of music by the bands who appeared that night. Lucky me.

ForeverAutumn
04-05-2010, 05:02 AM
Congratulations Swishy. I don't know the band, but it's always fun to win stuff!

Swish
04-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Congratulations Swishy. I don't know the band, but it's always fun to win stuff!

...reviews on a couple of past records (a 9.4 on Pitchfork for 'Boys and Girls in America' from 2006 and an 8.4 for 'Stay Positive' from 2008), so they are fairly well known. They remind me of Springsteen's band back in the very early days (E Street Shuffle), like a hard rocking bar band.

3LB
04-05-2010, 09:53 AM
They remind me of Springsteen's band back in the very early days (E Street Shuffle), like a hard rocking bar band.you mean they had a horn section like on Wild/Innocent?

Swish
04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
you mean they had a horn section like on Wild/Innocent?

...you would get my drift. The Hold Steady could easily have done 'Rosalita', minus the horns. Up-tempo, rollicking bar band music. I guess I'm running out of adjectives but I think I've described them fairly accurately, but here are the lyrics to a recent song that got a fair amount of 'alternative' radio play (name is Sequestered in Memphis);

It started when we were dancin’
It got heavy when we got to the bathroom
We didn’t go back to her place
We went to some place where she cat sits.
She said, “I know I look tired
But everything’s fried here in Memphis.”

Man, they want to know exactly which bathroom
Dude it doesn’t make any difference
It can’t be important.
Yeah, sure I’ll tell my story again …

[Chorus]

In barlight, she looked alright
In daylight, she looked desperate
That’s alright I was desperate too
I’m getting pretty sick of this interview

Subpoenaed in Texas, sequestered in Memphis
Subpoenaed in Texas, sequestered in Memphis

I think she drove a new Mustang
I guess it might be a rental
I remember she had satellite radio
I guess she seemed a bit nervous
Do you think I’m that stupid?
Well look, what the hell, I’ll tell my story again …

[Chorus]

I went there on business …

Finch Platte
04-06-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm 'chimming' in with the fact that I liked Stay Positive.

Not that I could change my blood type or anything, but just sayin'.

Stone
04-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Boys and Girls In America is a fine album, but I haven't picked up any of their other albums.

Swish
04-07-2010, 07:19 AM
you mean they had a horn section like on Wild/Innocent?

Tell me it doesn't sound like an early Springsteen Song.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7RO0y1-ZAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7RO0y1-ZAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3LB
04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Sorry, I haven't had chance to listen, but hopefully will tonight.

bobsticks
04-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Aren't these the guys with the treadmills?

Finch Platte
04-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Aren't these the guys with the treadmills?

No, that's the Rolling Stones.

ForeverAutumn
04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
No, that's the Rolling Stones.

He said treadmills, not walkers.

Swish
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
...and by that statement, you can surmise that I didn't go. It's a bummer but I was able to see my free tickets for $100.00, so it worked out nicely anyway. I couldn't give them away to friends (all had plans etc.) so a quick look at the 'wanted' section on Craig's List and I sold them to the first person I contacted.