Have you ever taken a musical pilgrimage? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever taken a musical pilgrimage?

Rae
04-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I was daydreaming about planning a road trip this summer (it's been a while) and tracing my finger over a map of the South. In between two potential destinations of Savannah, GA, and New Orleans, I noticed Meridian, MS, the hometown of Steve Forbert. I don't know if I'll take the trip, but if I do, something in me is going to compel me to stop there along the way. I'm sure it's not the Meridian of 35 years ago that sometimes figures in his songs, but I'd still feel some satisfaction from spending a day bumming around the place a la "January 23-30, 1978". I'd just have to find six more friends to jam into my car.

Have you ever traveled to a place solely because of your musical connection to it? I don't mean the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame or the Experience Music Project but more like Graceland, Hank Williams' grave, or a cornfield in Iowa. Ever thought about walking across Abbey Road or climbing Solsbury Hill? Purifying yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

I don't think it's something I've ever done myself, although I do remember Jay pointing out the brick wall that served as the backdrop for the Ramones' s/t album cover while walking around the East Village... and I once lived just a few blocks from the house (and roof) that the Replacements sat atop in the iconic photo that graces Let It Be...

Lemme hear yr stories.

~Rae

Smokey
04-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Have you ever traveled to a place solely because of your musical connection to it? I don't mean the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame or the Experience Music Project but more like Graceland, Hank Williams' grave, or a cornfield in Iowa.

I went to Graceland in Memphis back in "94. It was very memorable.

What made it so interesting is the house is left like when Elvis was living in it with TVs, entertanment center and furniture that were from 70's. And the gold records, and glamorous cloths he wore on stage. The house is pretty big with you get to tour inside and outside including big sport facilities such as Squash racquet sport room. And ofcourse the Jungle room.

I wanted to see the bathroom where Elvis overdosed and died in, but that room is upstairs and upstairs is off limit to visitors :incazzato:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2281519033_963eb51632.jpg