Question on Yamaha Receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question on Yamaha Receivers

ptfitzy
04-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi folks. It's been a long time since I've been on the Forum. I finally want to replace my old Yamaha HTR-5140.
OK. I am looking at the HTR-6240. I also see it listed as the HTR-6240 BL. Is there any difference between the 6240 and 6240BL?
Also, I have been told it is the exact same Receiver as the RXV-465. If that is true, why do they have a different Model Number?
Thanks a lot.
ptfitzy

harley .guy07
04-01-2010, 08:51 AM
When yamaha started the HTR series back in the 90's or so they usually sold the HTR series through retailers like best buy and circuit city and such, then sold the RXV series through the higher end audio shops and I think they did this so that the audio shops could separate their models from the big retail stores out there. The main difference between these units besides model number is the lettering on the HTR series is gold and the RXV is white but besides that the units are almost the exact same thing. Starting from the budget models up to the upper models the rxv and htr series usually have like models but I do believe that the rxv series goes a little higher end and higher priced with their models than the HTR series.

rakeford
04-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi folks. It's been a long time since I've been on the Forum. I finally want
OK. I am looking at the HTR-6240. I also see it listed as the HTR-6240 BL. Is there any difference between the 6240 and 6240BL?
ptfitzy
I'm pretty sure that the "BL" just means that the unit is black.

rob_a
04-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I think it just means black. I came across this when buying my Yamaha DVD player, and from what got was Yamaha sells brushed silver modals in Europe that don't have the BL after the model number.. So the 'BL' is put on even though black is about the only color you can get in the US.

blackraven
04-01-2010, 04:43 PM
The HTR series are sold in the big box stores like Best Buy. I bought an HTR series for my daughter a few years ago.

ptfitzy
04-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I just hope I can figure out how to hook it up. I have a Sharp Aquo HD hooked up through a "DVR" with AT&T Uverse. I may have a question. Someone told me the Manual for the Yamaha was written for Audio Geeks and not your average listener.
ptfitzy

blackraven
04-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I just hope I can figure out how to hook it up. I have a Sharp Aquo HD hooked up through a "DVR" with AT&T Uverse. I may have a question. Someone told me the Manual for the Yamaha was written for Audio Geeks and not your average listener.
ptfitzy

The manual was actually written for Japanese Audio Genius Geeks! Good Luck!
Most asian or foreign manuals are poorly translated to english. The best manual I have had for an avr was from Adcom here in good old USA!

Mr Peabody
04-02-2010, 10:21 PM
If the receiver you are buying is the same as the 465 go up a model if you can. If there is no video upconversion, such as in the 465, you will need a separate video connection for the on screen display.

Connect your receiver to TV using a HDMI cable. Then connect the DVR to receiver as well as any other audio and video source. Check manual because one of the HDMI connections will allow you to watch TV without the receiver being on. Good feature for news and Sesame street :)