Polks or infinity [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polks or infinity

amature
04-01-2010, 12:48 AM
I am looking at buying new speakers today.I have a choice to make between a pair of polk RT12 for $200 or pair of infinity SM 155 in mint condtion for $250.I like really loud music with lots of bass.Help me decide..anyone???

Hyfi
04-01-2010, 04:05 AM
One is a large floorstander and one is a studio monitor.

Wht are you choosing between two completely different types?

The reviews on the Infinity's appear better than that of the Polks which are probably not that good.

If this is your only choices, I would surely go for the Infinity's.

amature
04-01-2010, 05:15 AM
Thanks...Whats the difference between the two? floorstander or studio monitor?

Mr Peabody
04-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Based on what you said, you want the SM-155, they have a 15" woofer, a 3-way design and are over 100dB efficient, this means they will play very loud with little power. They also have front panel control for mid and highs. Beware though they are an older model and replacement parts will be pretty much non-existent. So if the SM's have any flaws what so ever go for something new. Inspect the speaker cones and surrounds very well. I've heard Best Buy carry some kind of Rock&Roll speakers from MTX that are cheap you might take a look at. if the SM's don't work out. Cerwin Vega may be another choice to check. From what you are saying I'm not so sure Polk should be on your list. Every Polk I've heard have had a polite presentation, not bad, just not what I'd call a Disco type speaker. JBL may be another thing to look at. If craigslist is in your area some of the PA type speakers from Yamaha or Peavey would be good but even used may be out of your budget.

amature
04-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks..The Infinity are on there way here in a truck..im pacing waiting for them..lol.I will post on here how they sound.thanks again for taking time to give me info!

Mr Peabody
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
What are you hooking the SM's up to? We are awaiting your report.

amature
04-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi..got them hooked up to my pioneer VSX-906s.It uses high current.I have them with my PSB alpha series speakers.Its pretty sweet..but i get bored easy and will upgrade

Mr Peabody
04-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm surprised you can even hear the PSB if both hooked up at the same time, the SM-155's are about 105dB efficient. They weren't my favorite Infinity line we sold at the time but the SM was our best selling Infinity line. They played very loud with even entry level receivers.

How do you like the 155's?

amature
04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I love the Infinity,s.They were stored in a controled enviroment for the last 11 yrs.They are mint and sound so awsome.Im in love with my music again and couldnt be happyer.Im buying the other pair he has next week.the same but they are brown.

Hyfi
04-12-2010, 03:17 AM
you would have felt the exact opposite if you went with the polks. Good deal and enjoy.