HOT! $5.00 sale 24 hours only [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HOT! $5.00 sale 24 hours only

Mr Peabody
03-31-2010, 08:56 PM
ProgRock Records is at it again! Come and get it $5.00 per title, $10.00 for doubles. 24 hours only 4/2 PST.

http://www.progrockrecords.com/artist_index/

Finch Platte
04-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Dead Heroes Club

An Irish Progressive Rock Band? Surely Not! Almost certainly Ireland’s only progressive rock band, DEAD HEROES CLUB offer us 21st century prog-rock.

Dead Heroes Club hail from the Walled City of Derry in the North of Ireland. Although as one rock critic points out "the blood of Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Tull, Pink Floyd and others floods their veins', Dead Heroes Club manage to achieve an original and inventive approach to their music. Beyond the prog-rock tag, however, the band describe themselves as belonging to the "song for song's sake' category of music, and it becomes clear from the first listen that melody, passion and power are the band's watchwords. The lyrics too are a leading component of the band's compositional make up, and in a sense Dead Heroes Club's new album "A Time of Shadow' could be described as a lyrical album - the song "The Centre Cannot Hold', for example, was inspired by Irish poet W.B. Yeats. Indeed far from being flights of fantasy, the band's songs are grounded in reality, dealing with issues or themes that reflect the world today.

The members of Dead Heroes Club have come together from various corners of the musical past with one thing in common: the love of experimental and progressive music. Composing music under the philosophy of "let the music lead the way', Dead Heroes Club have a lot in common with the progressive rock giants of the past, and yet they have something new and fresh to offer. The band, right from the off, were consumed by a desire to create music and songs that could stir the imagination and ignite the soul – the band's latest (and second) album offering "A Time of Shadow'(cover design by official J.R.R. Tolkien illustrator Ted Nasmith) is testimony to that.

Speaking of the "A Time of Shadow' album, Dean Pedley of Sea of Tranquillity reviews states: "whilst there are still bands such as Dead Heroes Club around then the future generation of classic prog seems very much assured. In short, this [album] is a triumph'. Other notable music critics such as Craig Hartranft have been won over by the band's heady mix of classic prog influences and innovative melodic power: "finding Dead Heroes Club's A Time Of Shadow is a true delight. DHC combines impressive and creative progressive rock, steeped in the classic tradition, with brilliant lyrics to creative a distinct and enjoyable masterpiece.

Also...

Presto Ballet
An immense supporter of the early works of Yes, Kansas, and Genesis (among others), Metal Church guitarist Kurdt Vanderhoof sought to create a project that reflected his predilection of that era and he has undoubtedly achieved that objective with Presto Ballet. Evoking a classic 70's feel, their songs herald a return to a time when music was at its most colorful and influential. With tasteful guitar parts, crunching Hammond organ and rich vocals, the band follows a path previously tread by rock pioneers such as Kansas, Yes, Genesis and Deep Purple. Vanderhoof describes the songs from a production point of view,

"We recorded the whole album in a somewhat 'old school' manner, which means analog synthesizers, real Hammond organ and real Mellotron sounds". "For me, the seventies was the most interesting time, with the most skilled bands, the best songs and the best ideas", says Vanderhoof. "I've never understood why nobody has gone back to that kind of music again".

Accompanying Kurdt is vocalist Scott Albright (who also appeared on some of Vanderhoof's solo ventures). Having quite a remarkable voice, Albright's tone ranges anywhere between Jon Anderson, Greg Lake, Geddy Lee, and occasionally (for a modern example) James LaBrie. Perceptive of a certain vocal style being essential to the scene, Vanderhoof was wise in selecting Albright to front his outfit. Rounding out the new lineup is former Hall Aflame drummer Bill Raymond, bassist Izzy Rehaume, and keyboardist Ryan McPherson.

Mr Peabody
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I've got Dead Heroes Club and like the album. I've also recently picked up Evolve IV, and I think Collage was from there. Another recent purchase I bought from PR is Ajalon. Ajalon are a bit laid back and spiritual so I don't know how that would fly around here but I like them.

Hyfi
04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Dead Heroes Club

[I]An Irish Progressive Rock Band? Surely Not! Almost certainly Ireland’s only progressive rock band, DEAD HEROES CLUB offer us 21st century prog-rock.

What about Horslips? They are Irish Prog.

This writer has a limited knowledge base of artists.

http://www.horslips.ie/

Swish
04-02-2010, 07:17 AM
...they actually pay me to take them. Yeah, that day will be here sooner than you think.

Hyfi
04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
...they actually pay me to take them. Yeah, that day will be here sooner than you think.

You just have to be a George Thorogood fan, right?

Swish
04-03-2010, 12:56 PM
You just have to be a George Thorogood fan, right?

:ciappa:

BarryL
04-05-2010, 07:21 AM
ProgRock Records is at it again! Come and get it $5.00 per title, $10.00 for doubles. 24 hours only 4/2 PST.

...some Magic Pie.

Also some Parallel or 90 Degrees.

Shadow Circus

Brothers of Ape

And a few others. Heck, cheaper than iTunes downloads.

Mr Peabody
04-05-2010, 05:23 PM
...some Magic Pie.

Also some Parallel or 90 Degrees.

Shadow Circus

Brothers of Ape

And a few others. Heck, cheaper than iTunes downloads.

Cool. By the time I got home from work and a friend came over, I ended up missing it completely.