Why it's okay to love Styx. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why it's okay to love Styx.

ForeverAutumn
03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
An amusing article that was posted on another site.

http://www.salon.com/life/excerpt/2010/03/27/rock_and_roll_will_save_your_life/index.html

Stone
03-31-2010, 10:40 AM
And let me take this a step further: if you want to know what people were thinking and feeling and dreaming in 1981, if you're curious about the emotional tenor of that particular slice of our history, "PT" is much more useful than any of the enduring LPs of that time, "Sandinista!" by the Clash, for instance, or U2's "October."

Uhhh, okay.

And you frequent other boards? How dare you!

GMichael
03-31-2010, 10:40 AM
I like Styx. Kinda a cross between Triumph and Air Supply.

ForeverAutumn
03-31-2010, 10:42 AM
And you frequent other boards? How dare you!

Only when I want to talk about prog behind Swish's back. ;)

ForeverAutumn
03-31-2010, 10:44 AM

LMAO! I never quite thought of them that way...but I see where you're coming from.

Stone
03-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Although, for full disclosure, I do own a copy of Allied Forces.

GMichael
03-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Although, for full disclosure, I do own a copy of Allied Forces.

Very true.

They aren't at the top of my list for sure, but there are more groups after them than before.

Mr Peabody
03-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I love Styx and have several LP's. Those who have only been exposed to the commercial stuff need to hear some deep tracks. Although nothing makes me turn a station faster than the first few notes of Come Sail Away. Can we say burnt?

I am also a big Triumpgh fan. Some of their later albums had hit and miss tracks but Allied Forces and Progressions Of Power I can crank from beginning to end.

Styx
04-01-2010, 05:11 AM
I hate Styx.......B band @ best.

MasterCylinder
04-01-2010, 05:20 AM

That is actually a fairly accurate description.

I like to listen to selected STYX tunes as well............but, I must admit, after seeing them perform live, I became a fan of Tommy Shaw and rejected the others.

Why ? They are just completely cheesy on stage.
In the mid-90s, I saw them at one of those outdoor festivals during the Summer months..........Dennis DeYoung, James Young, and (before one of them died) the Panozzo brothers must have rehearsed their cheese.............it was dominating.
Kinda like seeing Air Supply................vomit !

Tommy Shaw looked like a rocker lost in a gay band.
They all played and sang well...............but the style of performance screamed conflict !

Mr Peabody
04-01-2010, 05:28 AM

HOW COULD YOU HATE "STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN"!!!!

ForeverAutumn
04-01-2010, 05:52 AM
I like to listen to selected STYX tunes as well............but, I must admit, after seeing them perform live, I became a fan of Tommy Shaw and rejected the others.

Why ? They are just completely cheesy on stage.

I got yelled at over at Progressive Ears for calling Dennis DeYoung cheesy. :lol:

ForeverAutumn
04-01-2010, 05:54 AM

For some strange reason...I don't believe you. :sosp:

:)

Styx
04-01-2010, 05:56 AM

What gave me away? :D

MasterCylinder
04-01-2010, 05:57 AM
I got yelled at over at Progressive Ears for calling Dennis DeYoung cheesy. :lol:

Yell back.................CHEEEEEEEEZZZZZEEEEEEE !!!!

GMichael
04-01-2010, 06:06 AM

What happened to our trusting little FA?

BarryL
04-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I saw Kansas open for Styx, probably the Grand Illusion Tour, somewhere around 1978 I suppose. It was a great show.

Welcome to the Grand Illusion.....

I find the lyrics overly juvenile now, but at the time they spoke to me.

Just remember it's a grand illusion, and deep inside we're all the same....

WE'RE ALL THE SAME...

3LB
04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't hate Styx, but I can only take either of them in small doses. I can think of one or two of their songs I ever need to hear again, kinda like Journey.

Wasn't there a thread here about four or five years ago regarding someone seeing Styx at a State Fair and heckling them?

Mr Peabody
04-01-2010, 04:46 PM
What's to yell about, haven't they heard "it's not easy being cheezy"?

Luvin Da Blues
04-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Great name, average band IMO. I do like the opening to "Renegade" tho.

MindGoneHaywire
04-01-2010, 08:11 PM
The only thing more ridiculous than someone calling DeYoung (the guy who thought 'Kilroy Was Here' was a good idea) 'the Brian Wilson of Styx,' was Tommy Shaw thinking he was somehow better because, like, he rocked, and, like, dude, DeYoung was like a sissy or something.

It's okay to not love Styx too.

MasterCylinder
04-02-2010, 04:00 AM
The only thing more ridiculous than someone calling DeYoung 'the Brian Wilson of Styx,' was Tommy Shaw thinking he was somehow better because, like, he rocked, and, like, dude, DeYoung was like a sissy or something.

But DeYoung is a sissy.........and a cheesy sissy at that.

Swish
04-02-2010, 07:24 AM
The only thing more ridiculous than someone calling DeYoung (the guy who thought 'Kilroy Was Here' was a good idea) 'the Brian Wilson of Styx,' was Tommy Shaw thinking he was somehow better because, like, he rocked, and, like, dude, DeYoung was like a sissy or something.

It's okay to not love Styx too.

The time has come at last
(Secret, secret, I've got a secret)
To throw away this mask
Now everyone can see
My true identity, I'm Kilroy, Kilroy, Kilroy, Kilroy

Many believe this to be the worst song ever in the history of rock, and I can't disagree, although many other songs make a strong case for a tie.