Scott Weiland's Milwaukee Disaster - 3.27.10 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Scott Weiland's Milwaukee Disaster - 3.27.10

Swish
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
According to several eyewitness accounts from fans who attended STONE TEMPLE PILOTS' Milwaukee, Wisconsin concert last night (Friday, March 26) at the Eagles Ballroom, vocalist Scott Weiland forgot the words to at least a couple of the songs and seemed to be completely lost during "Dead and Bloated", forcing his bandmates to leave the stage in apparent embarrassment and disgust.

Writing on the long-running STONE TEMPLE PILOTS fan site Below Empty, a fan who goes by the name "ejsme" stated about last night's show, "Although [Scott] sounded really slurry and rambling when talking between songs, he actually did a great job for most of the show. It was excellent and thoroughly enjoyable. And the DeLeos [brothers Dean and Robert DeLeo] didn't seem mad at him or anything. Dean actually came up and played his guitar with the neck stuck between Weiland's legs at one point.

"But... once they got to 'Dead and Bloated', partway in, Scott got completely lost and just seemed to forget the whole song, lyrics and melody. They tried to kind of go into a little jammy part to cover until they could get their bearings, but it just kind got more and more off track and Scott never seemed to be able to pick back up. So, Dean walks off to the side and switches guitars and they go into 'Lounge Fly'. Dean walked up to Scott and took out his ear monitor and said something into his ear.

"I thought, 'Oh maybe it's all just a technical issue with Scott's monitor and he's not wasted.' Scott seemed to start off okay, a little bit off, but then by the time they got to the acoustic section, he was behind the beat and sounded like a sloppy drunk guy singing at a wedding. The band kept trying to kind of pause and try to follow Scott or give him a chance to find the right part, but he just seemed to keep changing to different parts of the song. I saw Robert look at Dean and shake his head, as if to say, 'This isn't going to be salvagable' and then, finally, the Deleos took off their instruments and walked to the side of the stage.

"[Eric] Kretz kept drumming and Weiland seemed oblivious to the fact that there was no more guitar and bass. He keep kind of improvising on the melody and singing until Kretz played an ending-of-the-song kind of drum thing to try to signal to Scott to wrap it up, but he kept singing a bit after that. ThenKretz got up and walked right past Scott without looking at him or touching him, and off the stage on the same side that the DeLeos went. Scott finally then walked off stage on the other side.

"The lights went down and I really didn't think that they'd even try to do an encore. A little while later, Weiland walks back onstage and starts to introduce 'Piece of Pie'. The rest of the band comes on and Dean stops and says something in Scott's ear and then Scott drunkingly mumbles something like, 'No piece of pie for yooooou. This is 'Trippin''.' Then they go into 'Trippin'' and Scott seems to just barely be able to keep up with the song and seems to fall behind a bit.

"I thought it was odd though, that during these songs where everything was going wrong, Scott almost seemed oblivious to the fact that he was messing up. It's like he kept right on dancing and posing and singing like he thought he was doing great. He never looked embarrassed or frustrated. You'd think he would've tried to play it off by saying, 'Oops, I messed that up' or somehow acknowledge that the song got screwed up. He even said something, I think it was right before 'Dead And Bloated', about 'You might just be the best audience ever.' And Dean said something about 'Do you wanna play the Rave with us?'

"Anyway, after 'Trippin'' the band starts to walk to the front of the stage to say their goodbyes and bow and everything. Dean is the first to get up front and I distinctly saw him mouth 'Sorry' to the audience and kind of wave. Then Weiland gets up front followed by Kretz and Robert and I was actually suprised that they all stood so close to Scott after all of this. But again, Weiland, seemed oblivious to the disaster. He's up there, head high like he just rocked the place, patting his hand over his heart, kind of like 'You guys are so great, I'm touched' and then does this dramatic salute."

kexodusc
03-31-2010, 08:28 AM
I liked the smack shootin' Scott Weiland way better than the boozin' Scott Weiland.

ForeverAutumn
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Sounds like the song wasn't the only thing Trippin'.

poppachubby
03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
No shock here. He's a junky, and if any of you understand anything about addiction, he will ALWAYS be a junky. His problem seems to be that he has never been in recovery, but is rather more of a dry addict.

I love STP. They are one of the greatest rock bands of my generation, such a shame. I have been listening to alot of Chet Baker lately. If you don't already know, he met his end addicted to drugs and looked like he was about 70 at only 50 years old. So sad.

It DOES give much more credence to the music. There's no doubt that someone who has waded through 3 feet of chit for years, is being sincere artistically. Welll then again, he was in Velvet Revolver...

poppachubby
03-31-2010, 09:13 AM
"I thought it was odd though, that during these songs where everything was going wrong, Scott almost seemed oblivious to the fact that he was messing up. It's like he kept right on dancing and posing and singing like he thought he was doing great. He never looked embarrassed or frustrated. You'd think he would've tried to play it off by saying, 'Oops, I messed that up' or somehow acknowledge that the song got screwed up. He even said something, I think it was right before 'Dead And Bloated', about 'You might just be the best audience ever.' "

Like a consumate pro, never let the audience see you sweat. Clearly he's gigged enough to know that. I'm sure as seasoned as he is, the auto pilot just takes over.

ForeverAutumn
03-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Like a consumate pro, never let the audience see you sweat. Clearly he's gigged enough to know that. I'm sure as seasoned as he is, the auto pilot just takes over.

Or he was just so stoned that he had no idea that he was screwing up.

poppachubby
03-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Or he was just so stoned that he had no idea that he was screwing up.

If he was that wasted, other more physical signs would have been present. Reading the review, it seems he was quite present of mind and body for most of the show. Assuming he didn't leave the stage to get high, I think he just lost his bearings. Of course, booze and dope surely played a role...

...some of these rock stars need teleprompters to get through a show.

3LB
04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorta sad...makes you appreciate those who choked on their own vomit long before they reached the sad state they're in now (Steve Tyler last year falling off the stage while his band looks on apathetically). You'd love to see these guys get help and stay sober, but somehow, you just know its never gonna happen.