The new guy! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The new guy!

amature
03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi..i have a pioneer VSX-906S i paid$1280 for 10yrs ago.The remote does not work but the rest is in great shape.I bought a set of PSB surround set.Front center and rears.They sound very good arnd were very well takin care of from an older guy who like to listen to classical.I paid $725 for the whole set of alpha series.They sound great but i cant really turn my reciever past half or they bounce around,and distort a bit.I bought a brand new Precision Acoustics 150 watt sub with the 10 inch woofer.Someone told me that infinity makes the parts for them but im not sure ..its ok for $250 brand new with a 5yr warenty.I did have to bring the first one back because i blew the amp or something..they replaced it with no questions asked..Special thanks to Century Sound in St Thomas.I have a few questions to ask if some of you more experienced people would be kind enoughh to help me with.First i love really loud heavy metal music..but hate it to sound distorted or fuzzy.It has to be clear loud and precise ..the way it was meant to be heard.The PSB are very clear but lack alot for this type of music and are a lttle bright They are pretty great for the surround on movies and shows ..and alot of acoustic music and stuff like that.Very detailed..I was considering buying my friends Infinity 155 SM,s for $300.I havnt listened to them yet but they are in mint condition.He has never even turned them up and the cases are flawless.Are these good speakers?Are they worth buying?Anouther question i have is ...does the quality of speaker wire really make a diff?And what gauge should i use?Im using really cheap stuff right now.Should i use the bananna plugs or just bare wires on the reciever posts?Im on a really tight buget as im disabled and not able to work.Please keep in mind that im new to this and still learning..so treat me like child..lol.One last question ..can i hook up an amp to my pioneer reciever?If so how do i do this and is it worth doing?Thanks for having me in your group..yours truly JOE....p.s what does anyone think of the pioneer reciever?

rob_a
03-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the forum. The PSB’s you have are better than most of what infinity has on the market, if you switch to Infinity you will notice what they lack compared to the PSB’s. Distortion is usually caused by an under powered amp. If you have pre-outs on your receiver I would recommend a 2channel amp to drive your front mains. 125 to 200 watt range would probably be all you need. Rotel, NAD, Emotiva, Adcom, all make very good amps with Pure wattage. Ebay is a great place to find a deal on a used amp if you are tight on the $$$.

Speaker cables are a personal thing, I use 14 gauge from monoprice.com.

Pioneer makes good stuff but I feel there is better stuff on the market that is priced in the same range as them.

JoeE SP9
03-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Welcome to AR from another Joe. To help with your problem we need more information.
size of room
furnishings in room
volume you play music
are you playing 2 channel music in a surround mode
what source/s are you using
Vinyl
CD
Cassette
FM
When you are not overdriving the amp or speakers does it sound OK?
Is lack of ultimate volume your real concern?
What do you think is the weakest link in your system?
There are other questions but these will do for a start.

poppachubby
03-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Welcome. I find it hard to read your post, all in one paragraph. But....I did.

If I was you, I would use the PSB fronts for a "mini system" with another amp, perhaps you could set up a small analog rig. I would then seek out a decent pair of fronts that can rock the metal.

Here's a recent post you may find helpful...

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=33511

May Satan find you well.

amature
04-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Welcome to AR from another Joe. To help with your problem we need more information.
size of room
furnishings in room
volume you play music
are you playing 2 channel music in a surround mode
what source/s are you using
Vinyl
CD
Cassette
FM
When you are not overdriving the amp or speakers does it sound OK?
Is lack of ultimate volume your real concern?
What do you think is the weakest link in your system?
There are other questions but these will do for a start.
I have a small living room ...your basic furniture.My 42 inch plasma and alot of clutter..lol. I listen to music in 2 channel.. movies in surround it also has dsp mode.I use my computer to play music.I also use my hdmi dvd player.When i am not overdriving the reciever it sounds great..as long as you are in the right spot in the room..because my kitchen and living room are almost together.Im moving in two weeks to a house thats a little bigger..but still a small livingroom.I have to work on the speaker placement thing.If im sitting on my couch it sounds real nice with more bass but if i stand up its a too bright.What do you think about infinity?Do i need heavy gauge speaker wire for the speakers i have now?The guy with the infinity sm 155 is comming over today..he lowered his price to $250.I have someone else that has polks RT12 for $200 plus a old reciever i have to trade.Dont know witch ones to buy...

manlystanley
04-01-2010, 03:03 AM
If im sitting on my couch it sounds real nice with more bass but if i stand up its a too bright.

My guess is standing waves. In my listening room, I have the reverse. More bass when I'm standing up. I'm working on speaker positioning to improve it. Others will have better insight.

Do i need heavy gauge speaker wire for the speakers i have now?

Check out this article: http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/speaker-cable-gauge

Basically, the longer the cable run the more you need heaver wire.

Best Regards,
Stan

amature
04-01-2010, 06:57 AM
To Rob A ....My pioneer is older and uses high current..would i still need an amp?

amature
04-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Thank you for all of your input guys.Im sitting here waiting for my infinity studio monitors.Should be here any minute.Cant wait to hear them

rob_a
04-01-2010, 07:47 AM
To Rob A ....My pioneer is older and uses high current..would i still need an amp?

Some receivers have pre-out option to run a separate amp for the left and right channels, but older equipment usually do not have this option if they are already powered. So I would geuss that would do not have pre-outs.

Other things to consider is, speaker efficiency, you probably need very efficient speakers that are easy to push with a lower powered receiver. Up grading speaker wire and interconnects to help deliver better signal strength, monoprice.com has great prices. Have you receiver cleaned and tested to make sure it is working properly. I hope this helps.

amature
04-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi ..I got My Studio monitors.Infinity sm 155.Im so happy with them.The guy had them stored for 11yrs in a humitity controled room.There isnt a scratch on them and are i A1 mint condition.They look like they just came from the store.They fricken awsome but sound even better.I was listening to them with my reciever at about half.The sound was crystal clear.I noticed my reflection on my T.V. and i was smiling from ear to ear and didnt even relize it.I could not ask for more.Im trying to put up some picts..how?Thanks again for all your input!

poppachubby
04-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Hi ..I got My Studio monitors.Infinity sm 155.Im so happy with them.The guy had them stored for 11yrs in a humitity controled room.There isnt a scratch on them and are i A1 mint condition.They look like they just came from the store.They fricken awsome but sound even better.I was listening to them with my reciever at about half.The sound was crystal clear.I noticed my reflection on my T.V. and i was smiling from ear to ear and didnt even relize it.I could not ask for more.Im trying to put up some picts..how?Thanks again for all your input!

Congrats. Enjoy. Bang your Head!

To post a pic, click "Go Advanced". Scroll down and click "Upload/Manage Photos".

A pop-up screen will appear. Browse to the location of your pic, and click "Upload".

Submit your reply and, done.