March Music Madness: Yes vs. Wilco [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness: Yes vs. Wilco

newtrix1
04-01-2004, 03:26 AM
Final Four match # 1:
Please vote on your more favorite artist between Yes and Wilco.

Rules are loose with March Music Madness, but the idea is to choose the band (or artist) you enjoy more, rather than which is “greater”, or more influencial, etc.

thank you.

Notes:

Justifying your vote is not required, but....in the event of a tie, winning band will be determined by the voter who posts the best justification (explanation) as to why they like the band they voted for (or why they don't like the other band).

The following four bands (Yes, Wilco, AC/DC and Talking Heads) have beaten out some stiff competition to earn a position in the final four. Two winners in this round will move to the championship match.

newtrix1
04-01-2004, 03:31 AM
Yes, because they're perenially one of my top ten favorite bands. Wilco doesn't even crack the top 100. ;)

mad rhetorik
04-01-2004, 06:23 AM
My vote goes to Wilco, partly because I like 'em but also because they're not Yes.

; p

Dave_G
04-01-2004, 06:28 AM
C'mon dude, come up with some bettter pairings.

Dave

Swish
04-01-2004, 07:16 AM
more fans, but I have to choose Wilco based on my personal tastes at the present time. I know this isn't the first time I've said this, but Yes music sounds so dated and stale to me at this point in my life, although I really liked them back in the day. I guess I'm just too old for prog. Wilco, on the other hand, has a style that's right up my alley, and I've been a big fan since Being There was released in 1996, and YHF was one of my favorites o' the year in 2002.

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
04-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Wilco: Rhymes with "NO"

newtrix1
04-01-2004, 09:15 AM
C'mon dude, come up with some bettter pairings.

Dave

Besides, where's your vote?? I expected this to be a no brainer for you.

ForeverAutumn
04-01-2004, 11:13 AM
more fans, but I have to choose Wilco based on my personal tastes at the present time. I know this isn't the first time I've said this, but Yes music sounds so dated and stale to me at this point in my life, although I really liked them back in the day. I guess I'm just too old for prog. Wilco, on the other hand, has a style that's right up my alley, and I've been a big fan since Being There was released in 1996, and YHF was one of my favorites o' the year in 2002.

Swish

Too old for prog?! Whatareya? 100? The prog world is full of old farts like you. :p Hell, prog is the only type of concert we can go to where Barry isn't mistaken as one of the band members' Dad. :D :D :D :D

Mr MidFi
04-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Oooooh, Barry...you gonna let lil' sis get away with talking that kind of smack?

Anyway, if this was based on "all-time enjoyment," it would probably be Yes. But in the present day, Wilco is what I listen to...so they will get my vote.

But if you put the musical enthusiasm of the 16-year-old MidFi Guy for Yes against the 41-year-old Mr. MidFi's enjoyment of Wilco, then Yes would overwhelm them by a wide margin. Did that make sense just now?

dld
04-02-2004, 06:47 PM
WIlco by a nose, no, by a full length. I figure Tweedy and Co. will be making good music for another decade. Hell, they've got the college crowd, the indie corwd, and some of us old farts who want something new, thats actually good. Yes is special, but Wilco is specialer.