3D Sports: ESPN 3D Debuts in June on Directv, and Final Four 3D at 100 Theaters [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3D Sports: ESPN 3D Debuts in June on Directv, and Final Four 3D at 100 Theaters

Woochifer
03-29-2010, 03:12 PM
As it was with HD and big screens, sports will be a big part of the market push behind 3D TV. HDTVs first began arriving at retail stores in 1999, but some analysts point to the debut of ESPN HD in 2003 as the turning point that gave HDTV significant momentum when its prospects were less than certain, and helped propel the format to majority status.

Even though ESPN 3D had already been announced earlier, now comes word that Directv will carry the channel when it premieres during the World Cup with 25 games in 3D during June and July. ESPN has indicated that at least 85 events will be produced in 3D during the first year, including the BCS Championship, X Games, and NBA games.

Directv will offer ESPN 3D, along with two additional 3D channels, free of charge. And Directv had previously indicated that most of their HD receivers will be automatically upgraded for 3D capability before those channels go live.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/450791-DirecTV_Puts_On_ESPN_s_3D_Glasses.php

But, IMO the most interesting part of the cited article is that the 3D sports and other programming on the Directv 3D channel will include a wide range of program providers.

The satellite operator's N3D channel will include programming from partners AEG/AEG Digital Media, CBS, Fox Sports/FSN, Golden Boy Promotions, HDNet, MTV, NBC Universal and Turner Broadcasting System.

Fox Sports had already announced that the MLB All-Star game and post season will be produced in 3D. And CBS will use 3D cameras to televise this weekend's Final Four, with closed circuit screenings at 100+ movie theaters. Golden Boy Promotions has also committed to 3D production on its PPV boxing events. AEG, HDNet, NBC, and Turner all have rights to other high profile sporting events. With Directv's announcement, all of these 3D events now have an outlet -- one that doesn't cost extra for existing subscribers.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2010-03-09-3d-cbs-fina-four_N.htm

kevlarus
03-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Fox Sports had already announced that the MLB All-Star game and post season will be produced in 3D. And CBS will use 3D cameras to televise this weekend's Final Four, with closed circuit screenings at 100+ movie theaters. Golden Boy Promotions has also committed to 3D production on its PPV boxing events. AEG, HDNet, NBC, and Turner all have rights to other high profile sporting events. With Directv's announcement, all of these 3D events now have an outlet -- one that doesn't cost extra for existing subscribers.

That sounds great. I might look into 3D if it's still around in 10yrs time -- that's roughly my tech. refresh time frame.

Currently, just don't see the advantage of 3D when you're not using 50+ screen size.

GMichael
03-30-2010, 07:27 AM
I'll have to wait until projectors get to the point that 3D doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Woochifer
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
That sounds great. I might look into 3D if it's still around in 10yrs time -- that's roughly my tech. refresh time frame.

Currently, just don't see the advantage of 3D when you're not using 50+ screen size.

I think that well within that 10-year time frame, 3D will simply become a standard feature built into most new TVs. Consider that it took less than 10 years for HDTV to take over the TV market (and this after HDTV got off to a very slow start), and the 3D transition is much less of a technological hurdle than the HD transition was.

The 3D MVC extension will probably become standard issue on mass produced video processors within the next year, since it's part of the existing MPEG-4 standard and does not require new fees from existing licensees. At that juncture, the 3D functionality will be built into most new Blu-ray players and set-top boxes. And many existing units can already be upgraded with a simple firmware update -- for example, all of Directv's HD subscribers will be 3D-ready by the time ESPN 3D launches in June.

After that time, it's only a matter of attrition for the 3D feature to make its way into most TVs on the market. With the average household buying a new TV about once every five years, it would not take very long for household penetration to reach majority status.

As far as advantages of 3D, how would you know that it needs a 50+" screen size?

I'll have to wait until projectors get to the point that 3D doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I don't think that will take very long. The 3D feature seems to piggyback on top of features that already exist, so I would not expect the premium pricing to last very long. As noted above, it's only a matter of time before it becomes standard issue, in much the same way that DTS got added onto every new receiver, the way that HDMI has become a standard feature, the way that MPEG-4 and VC-1 decoding became standard issue on video processing chips, etc.

kevlarus
03-31-2010, 06:55 AM
As far as advantages of 3D, how would you know that it needs a 50+" screen size?

I don't think that will take very long. The 3D feature seems to piggyback on top of features that already exist, so I would not expect the premium pricing to last very long. As noted above, it's only a matter of time before it becomes standard issue, in much the same way that DTS got added onto every new receiver, the way that HDMI has become a standard feature, the way that MPEG-4 and VC-1 decoding became standard issue on video processing chips, etc.

I guess I should have phrased my comment on size differently. Now, I haven't seen the current 3D technology, but I wonder how well it would look on a 32". I know many manufacturers have pushed 32" into the 720p pidgeon hole unfortunately. Some may say that 1080p is over kill, but it looks just smashing to me.

Agreed, price differential for 3D will drop quickly as it's just piggy-backing on HDMI and the technology in general. Just waiting for wireless connectivity on the TV itself and not just the blu player.

GMichael
03-31-2010, 08:02 AM

Well, they need to give me time to save up.:nono:

As FP keeps getting brighter and brighter these days, 3D shouldn't be a problem for long.
Will they be making those 3D glasses to fit over my current glasses?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-31-2010, 08:23 AM

As FP keeps getting brighter and brighter these days, 3D shouldn't be a problem for long.

When I have worn my glasses to 3D films, they have fit under the glasses nicely. However, because the screens are so large, I don't really need them.

I will be checking out some 3D movies in my home theater next week to see how they look at home. I got my hands on some equipment that will make this possible.

GMichael
03-31-2010, 08:25 AM
When I have worn my glasses to 3D films, they have fit under the glasses nicely. However, because the screens are so large, I don't really need them.

I will be checking out some 3D movies in my home theater next week to see how they look at home. I got my hands on some equipment that will make this possible.

I'll send you my address so you won't have to worry about what to do with that equipment when you're done with it. :thumbsup:

kevlarus
03-31-2010, 08:33 AM

I'd be interested in your experience with it at home. Please include the size & type of video (lcd/plasma etc.) when you comment on it.

Thanks Sir T.

pixelthis
03-31-2010, 10:17 AM

by the time you get "saved up" this fad will all be over.
SORRY:1:

GMichael
03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Only times knows for sure there Nostradamus.

pixelthis
04-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Only times knows for sure there Nostradamus.

WELL, "feed the pig" and keep your fingers crossed.
3D is great for a "sprint" like a movie in a theater.
For a marathon like TV watching, has never worked.:1:

3LB
04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
maybe, maybe not, but it will have been around a long time before I buy into it. I'm not going to play the musical format game, whereby I own several pieces of playback equipment as well as the same movies several times over. If say, five years from now there one and only one established format, I'll take the plunge, just like I waited for DVD and CD before it, I'll wait and see about this 3D thing. I don't want to invest in a format only to see players year later that out perform it for half the price.

Woochifer
04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
maybe, maybe not, but it will have been around a long time before I buy into it. I'm not going to play the musical format game, whereby I own several pieces of playback equipment as well as the same movies several times over. If say, five years from now there one and only one established format, I'll take the plunge, just like I waited for DVD and CD before it, I'll wait and see about this 3D thing. I don't want to invest in a format only to see players year later that out perform it for half the price.

Like I said earlier, the 3D standard is nothing more than an extension of the MPEG-4 format that's already well established. This is about as seamless and transparent a transition as you will ever see.

If you upgrade your HDTV, it will still play 2D HD material just fine. If you upgrade to a compatible Blu-ray player, it will play regular Blu-rays and 3D Blu-rays just fine. If you're a cable or satellite subscriber, many of the set top boxes (including all of Directv's MPEG-4 HD receivers) will be automatically upgraded for free. If you own a PS3, that will be updated for free.

It all boils down to the 3D TVs coming down in price, which I don't think will take very long.

kevlarus
04-14-2010, 06:00 AM
WELL, "feed the pig" and keep your fingers crossed.
3D is great for a "sprint" like a movie in a theater.
For a marathon like TV watching, has never worked.:1:

I'll sit beside you on this one. I've just invested in HDTV so 3D is a non-starter. During my next tech refresh (10 yrs, if everything stays working) we'll see what's out there. I was on the bleeding edge years ago with computer equipment during my learning years, but these items are entertainment and a commodity for me, so I can wait (and I suppose learning as far as home renos -- what not to do -- and food network).

The DVD player is almost toast so it will be blu when that's replaced. But a multi-disc player to replace the 5-disc CD player at the same time reducing equipment real estate ? Depends on what's on there, inter-operability and definitely functionality. The cd player has front controls and doesn't need the tv to see what you're playing (cd1,cd2 etc.)

pixelthis
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I'll sit beside you on this one. I've just invested in HDTV so 3D is a non-starter. During my next tech refresh (10 yrs, if everything stays working) we'll see what's out there. I was on the bleeding edge years ago with computer equipment during my learning years, but these items are entertainment and a commodity for me, so I can wait (and I suppose learning as far as home renos -- what not to do -- and food network).

The DVD player is almost toast so it will be blu when that's replaced. But a multi-disc player to replace the 5-disc CD player at the same time reducing equipment real estate ? Depends on what's on there, inter-operability and definitely functionality. The cd player has front controls and doesn't need the tv to see what you're playing (cd1,cd2 etc.)

This is the case for a lot of people.
And 3D isnt the "must have" that HDTV was.
I know some real people, people with real budgets, and most won't trash that shiny new(or almos new) HDTVjustto get 3D.:1:

kevlarus
04-14-2010, 12:54 PM
This is the case for a lot of people.
And 3D isnt the "must have" that HDTV was.
I know some real people, people with real budgets, and most won't trash that shiny new(or almos new) HDTVjustto get 3D.:1:

But what got me last night while browsing the onscreen cable guide, wasn't a channel devoted to the Masters (golf), or the Masters in HD, but the Masters in 3D !

This is where Google is ahead of the curve and at the right time to look at gigabit to the house. I would have though 3D-HD would have meant doubling the video bandwidth required for any scene, be it a full frame or a differential. Audio would not be any different.