Michael Buble [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Michael Buble

blackraven
03-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I just got back from the Michael Buble concert here in St. Paul. I took my wife and daughter. He puts on a good concert, very intimate for 13,000 people. He dropped a few 4 letter words including the F-bomb which suprised me but he's a cool dude. I was very surprised to see people of all ages. From teens to 70 year olds. The was a large population of college age kids. I guess he appeals to a wide age group.

Unfortunately the sound system in the 20,000 or so seat arena sucks. He was much better when he played in the small Orpheum theater here a few years ago.

He did a good imitation of Michael Jackson and did a great version of Twist and Shout.

The opening act was a group called Naturally 7. Very cool group and they got the crowd amped up.

thekid
03-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a good time. He is one my wife's favs and I use one of his CD's as a reference disc when trying to put a speaker through its paces. I think he is coming to our area later in the year so I might try to score some tickets.

Worf101
03-29-2010, 07:08 AM
My son hipped me to him. I'm still making up my mind. Glad you had a good time despite the poor sound reproduction.

Worf

JoeE SP9
03-29-2010, 02:11 PM
I've seen him on TV a couple of times. I also have a CD by him. I like his artistry but, IMO he's a bit overrated.

rob_a
03-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Compared to other good jazz singers he can hold his own. But isn't it nice to hear a talented band with a good singer rather than what’s been coming out of the mainstream for the last 30 years. :crazy:

nightflier
03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Don't know much about him, but I don't think it's a good idea to start dropping f-bombs at concerts so early in a career, especially considering the demographic he appeals to.

O'Shag
04-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Blackraven, glad you enjoyed the concert.
It is kind of wierd using such language for this guy. Maybe he just found out Frank Sinatra used to say these words in concert (although I don't think Frank would do this). My thoughts are that Michael Bubble or is it Booble is a very accomplished singer with great chops so to speak, but he's a little too.. how can I say it.... perfect or 'canned' for me, like listening through an overly romantic lens that makes everything sound unnaturally smooth and the same. This is the problem when artists tries to emulate a style of a famous individual. Curoiusly, the one genre it works well with is the 80's cover bands. Also of the jazz genre, Jamie Cullum doesn't quite have the vocal chops as Monsieur Bubble, I feel he is somehow more original and interesting. He's also supposed to be awesome in concert.

blackraven
04-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Buble kept on making comments like "Iknow you guys in the audience think that this music is gay and that I'm gay, but i'm not and the chick's dig it". He's very concerned about his image and being cool. He said I know its cold in Minnesota buy you guys are FKG hot.

thekid
04-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Interestingly enough while scouring the CD's at a local thrift I came across a copy of Leonard Cohen's "More Best Of" and the second track is "I'm Your Man" which is done in a somewhat dark manner. As I am listening to it I know I have heard it before but could not place it and then it hits me that Buble does this song on one of his CD's. Amazing that Buble and/or his producer took that song in a entirely different direction. If possible you should try to listen to both versions.

atomicAdam
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Interestingly enough while scouring the CD's at a local thrift I came across a copy of Leonard Cohen's "More Best Of" and the second track is "I'm Your Man" which is done in a somewhat dark manner. As I am listening to it I know I have heard it before but could not place it and then it hits me that Buble does this song on one of his CD's. Amazing that Buble and/or his producer took that song in a entirely different direction. If possible you should try to listen to both versions.

Do they butcher it? Cuase Cohen's lyrics generally have some very nasty undertones. Nasty in a way I like, but if the delivery is off, so is the point.

thekid
04-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Do they butcher it? Cuase Cohen's lyrics generally have some very nasty undertones. Nasty in a way I like, but if the delivery is off, so is the point.

Cohen's version is very dark and has the undertones you mention. Buble's arrangement completely turns it on its head. You just have to listen to both versions to hear what I mean.

hifitommy
04-11-2010, 12:14 PM
well, his first things while rather tepid have been surpassed by his new album-crazy love-in which the band is very good and he does more than a credible job.

i first downplayed his validity and he is certainly NOT sinatra, my daughter (29yo) feels that he is doing a good job of bringing the sinatra era music to the young listeners which is a good thing. they were losing sight of good solid songs and real singing.

i also wasnt a fan of elvis costello and green day but their quality writing and performing comes through upon further listening. check out Tonight at Noon: Three of Four Shades of Love by the Mingus Big Band with costello singing jazz. (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gbfyxqwgldte)

i will make a direct effort to hear the cohen tune by buble. it sounds like it will be quite interesting to me.

it will be good if he can show he has more of a vocabulary than expletives in the future.

JohnMichael
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I like Buble and I will miss him in Paris by about a week. Damn had I known he would be there I would have booked my trip a little sooner.