New Finds [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Finds

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

dakatabg
03-28-2010, 05:15 PM
I wanna make this thread so we can start posting here the new stuff we find and not make a new thread every time.

Today I got another classic piece Marantz 2230 in mint condition. Everything is working except the tape light but that is an easy fix.

So far that is my second Marantz.

http://i44.tinypic.com/erwllw.jpg

JohnMichael
03-28-2010, 05:37 PM
What a great birthday find. Happy Birthday and enjoy that beautiful receiver!

squeegy200
04-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Last week a close friend of mine had to move from her house. Prior to her move, she had a garage sale and sold a number of items. However, in the pile of items she did not sell was a Sony STR V5 that she requested I take or she would throw it in the trash.

I'm not too familiar with it but upon lifting it found it quite hefty. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a large toroidal transformer in the power supply.

I've only briefly hooked this thing up and thus far it sounded pretty good. Gotta see what it sounds like with some decent sources and speakers.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ymqtEqbJfmo/S8FLJsUoLKI/AAAAAAAAI4Q/8CYyl45U3Tg/sonystrv5.jpg

dakatabg
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Hey squeegy200 this is a very nice looking receiver. I used to have Sony STR-V45 and they really sound pretty decent.

thekid
04-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I wanna make this thread so we can start posting here the new stuff we find and not make a new thread every time.

Why do I think this comment is directed at me.................. :D

Great pick-up on the Marantz!

Squeeg- You don't hear too much about Sony from that era so I am curious what you think of it. It looks like it is in great shape.

dean_martin
04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
nothing too special but I picked up a working Lafayette LR-200 receiver and Criterion 2XA speakers (Lafayette house brand) for $20. At that price, I can't believe everything works. (The speakers sound like crap but they've sounded that way since new.)

I installed some shelves in my storage/junk building over the weekend and set up the little system with an fm antenna hanging from the rafters. Now I have music when I'm rummaging through boxes, playing with tools, looking at the weight bench, hanging out and drinking beer.

thekid
04-16-2010, 01:15 PM
As many of you know rather than holing up in a bunker in Montana my future survival station will consist of stacking all of my speakers around my family along while with crates full of Twinkies (they last forever) and Gatorade. To help shore up the south wall I recently purchased a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers off of CL for about a Benjamin.

It looks like I will need to replace/repair the X-overs and the tweeters. I figure i can rehab the tweeters and X-overs and still be around half of what these currently sell for in today's market. The cabinets are a bit rough but these are original HRB's so they were somewhat built to be stained by the owner in the first place. When the tweeters went they by-passed them with some type of Super-tweeter which is attached to the top. The woofers and squawkers are in great shape and all original. I spent most of the evening listening to them and I think these are the best woofer's I have ever heard. I certainly can see why the older Klipsch have a following and why Mr.P has been so happy about his recent Heresy pick-up. With everything else on my plate it might take me awhile to get these up and running but I am pretty happy with what the future holds for these making it into everyday use.

Mr Peabody
04-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Have you emailed Klipsch to see what replacement parts would run? I would definitely go with the factory tweeter/horn. I'd get the actual or direct replacement for the crossover as well but I'm not a tinker. Some one with a bit of "know-how" and solder skills would probably do alright.

thekid
04-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Have you emailed Klipsch to see what replacement parts would run? I would definitely go with the factory tweeter/horn. I'd get the actual or direct replacement for the crossover as well but I'm not a tinker. Some one with a bit of "know-how" and solder skills would probably do alright.

Actually this site was recommended to me;

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

They can rebuild the X-overs and sell a replacement tweeter that is supposed to be a upgrade. Looking at my finances and seeing how/when I can swing this.

dakatabg
04-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I just got this beautiful Teac W-760R double cassette deck.

http://i44.tinypic.com/4hw5f9.jpg

JoeE SP9
04-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Does that have a remote?

dakatabg
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah, it comes with the remote. Auto reverse also!

Mr Peabody
04-29-2010, 04:57 PM
TEAC made some very good cassette decks, the ones built in Japan.

I do not care for auto-reverse. I have yet to hear one where the heads were aligned the same each direction. I could always hear a difference from one direction versus the other. The frequency response would be different. Not night and day but enough that I noticed.

poppachubby
05-01-2010, 07:34 PM
NOS Motorola 12AX7's for $8!! Let the rolling begin!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/4569428935_c6519ae423_b.jpg

thekid
05-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Yeah, it comes with the remote. Auto reverse also!

I had a 3-head Teac tape deck that I got about 10 years of heavy use from. It was great deck and knowing what I know now I was an idiot for letting it go ratherthan repairing it.

Mr Peabody
05-02-2010, 02:57 PM
TEAC was what my last deck was. I bought it in the 80's and it lived through some heavy use from me. I sold it some years back to a friend with all my cassettes. The deck had the built in DBX noise reduction, any one remember or hear of that? Good idea but if you used it the tape wouldn't sound right on any other deck. I experimented with it but didn't use it much. So DBX became one of those ideas that didn't last long.

dakatabg
05-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Today I was lucky enough to get in mint condition Kenwood KA-7100 amplifier. Beautiful silver amplifier. It is rated 60wpc and was made 1977 - 1980. I am so excited, it is like new, like I just bought it. Here is a picture of it.
(sorry thekid but another kenwood amp and I couldn't resist it:) )

http://i42.tinypic.com/15eiwxc.jpg

JoeE SP9
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
DAKATA, the door cover on that cassette deck looks like the one on my V-7010. Is that door cover metal? Just curious.

BTW: Nice looking amp.

dakatabg
05-04-2010, 07:14 PM
DAKATA, the door cover on that cassette deck looks like the one on my V-7010. Is that door cover metal? Just curious.

BTW: Nice looking amp.

No they are plastic, it looks like metal silver but it is plastic silver.

thekid
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Daks

No need to apologize you cannot walk away from something like that. I think you will like that amp very much. I use a KA-8100/KT-8300 tuner combo for bedroom 2-channel set-up and it works very well with the Dynaco's.

Now that you have the amp you need to match it up with a KT-7500 tuner or higher and you will be set. Even though it looks very nice from the outside make sure you give the inside a good cleaning.

Fantastic looking vintage Kenwood amp!
Congrats!

dakatabg
05-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Here we go again, today I was looking on craigslist and I saw a guy selling this Kenwood KM-207 power amplifier. I couldn't miss that especially for the price of $20. It is in mint condition. Here is a picture.

http://i45.tinypic.com/5mzmna.jpg

Mr Peabody
05-18-2010, 02:09 PM
That is a deal.

JoeE SP9
05-18-2010, 06:21 PM
For that price I'd have bought it myself.

dakatabg
05-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah and he just had posted it so I was lucky to be the first one to claim it.

dakatabg
05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Here comes another beast I just bought for $20 bucks. Like new with remote and manual PIONEER VSX-D906S surround receiver.

The lady had a garage sale and I was passing by and saw the receiver and I pulled over on the side. I went there and I said how much? She said give me an offer. I was like $20 and she said it is yours. I knew it was worth a lot more.

Here is the link:

http://www.pioneer-america.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/PioneerReceivers/VSX-D906S?tab=B

I can't believe it was 1,210.00 when new. I got a great deal and it is perfectly working with many inputs on the back.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2yoskk5.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2iihd0n.jpg

Mr Peabody
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
You are going to knock The Kid off his pedestal of luckiest guy I know.

thekid
05-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Daks- Very nice pick-up. I think Pioneer makes some strong HT recievers. It is amazing the price you can get some of this stuff at.

Mr. P Can I still hold onto my title if I mention I got a Phillips 30" HDTV for free this weekend...???????

Buddy of mine went to a wall mounted TV and so just gave it to me. On the downside it did not come with a remote... :D

Mr Peabody
05-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Daks- Very nice pick-up. I think Pioneer makes some strong HT recievers. It is amazing the price you can get some of this stuff at.

Mr. P Can I still hold onto my title if I mention I got a Phillips 30" HDTV for free this weekend...???????

Buddy of mine went to a wall mounted TV and so just gave it to me. On the downside it did not come with a remote... :D

Now that's the way to upgrade to HD. If you use a cable or satelite box you could use that remote, or any learning remote as far as that goes.

dakatabg
05-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Today I scored in mint condition Marantz SP1200 speakers rated 165W with 12" Woofers. Very nice and warm sounding speakers. They sound so good with the Marantz 2250B.

http://i49.tinypic.com/doup06.jpg

Mr Peabody
05-31-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't remember ever hearing Marantz speakers. That would be cool to have the matching components like that.

m.powers
05-31-2010, 07:11 PM
dakatabg,
You keep it up, You'll have to buy a warehouse to house all this equip!!
Anyone know where I can find a pair of Pre-main jumpers for a
Sansui 9090? I have been everywhere I can think of.

dakatabg
05-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah man I have so much stuff home but it is like a passion, I see a good deal and I can't pass it especially if it is something vintage.

Regarding the part for Sansui 9090 you can contact http://www.classicaudio.com/ and you can request it there.

Mr Peabody
05-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Other than just wanting to keep the 9090 stock, why not use a good set of RCA cables for jumpers. A nice short set of high quality RCA's may even be better.

thekid
05-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Other than just wanting to keep the 9090 stock, why not use a good set of RCA cables for jumpers. A nice short set of high quality RCA's may even be better.

I second Mr. P's suggestion.
I use a pair of short RCA's for the jumpers on my SX-850 and they work perfectly fine.

m.powers
05-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Ok, I have those! The only thing I wasn't sure about was The RCA Cables
connecting Ground as well as Positive connection!!

dakatabg
06-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Today was my lucky day and do you guys know what happened? I got home with a Sansui AU-717 Amplifier and a TU-717 Tuner both in mint condition and perfectly working for the amazing price of only $200. Another good find!

http://i45.tinypic.com/x5y1e8.jpg

Feanor
06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Today was my lucky day and do you guys know what happened? I got home with a Sansui AU-717 Amplifier and a TU-717 Tuner both in mint condition and perfectly working for the amazing price of only $200. Another good find!

Congrats! The old, analog tuners are especially well regarded.

poppachubby
06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Damn dak!!! You're on a real roll. Have you got a Kenwood Basic C2? I would like to try one.

dakatabg
06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah poppachubbby, lately I am getting a lot of stuuf but when the price is right, I buy it.

I am looking to get a Kenwood C2 but I can't find one yet on a good price but soon or later I will find one.

The Sansui amp is a killer and the tuner catches the stations perfectly. I am very happy with the purchase!

thekid
06-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Daks- Great pick-up and thanks for posting pics!
I might have to consider surrendering the title of getting good gear at cut rate prices at the rate you are going but since I have a C2 and a C1 I will hold onto to the belt a little longer......... :D

I love my Sansui combo and yours are several steps above mine so I know you are going to love them!
If you are familiar with the fmtuner site you know that tuner is ranked in the top 20 and there is some serious competitors in that group.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html

m.powers
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Dam dakatabg!! You are on a roll!!!!!!! That warehouse I mentioned last night, may
be looking better & better. Actionally, I am a little jellous. As I have said previously,
I love the Sansui Gear.

dakatabg
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Dam dakatabg!! You are on a roll!!!!!!! That warehouse I mentioned last night, may
be looking better & better. Actionally, I am a little jellous. As I have said previously,
I love the Sansui Gear.

Ha ha M.powers to make you more jealous I just got home with new Sansui goodies.

Sansui 881 Receiver in mint condition with the manual book

and

Sansui S-930 Speakers 110W 12" Woofers

I am just off of work for a week and I am looking for some good stuff!

http://i50.tinypic.com/2uzywt0.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/dqhft4.jpg

thekid
06-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Another nice pick-up Daks!
Was this the same combo that was on the Chicago E-Bay classifieds?

dakatabg
06-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah thekid, exactly the same one but I made a deal on it. The receiver is very good and I am thinking of keeping it. The speakers are all right but not Impressed much. I also picked up a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers model 313. Super big cabinets with 15" woofers. I can't find much information about them and about the watts but they are super loud. I hooked them up to the Sansui 9090DB and omg, they are rocking and the highs are so nice. They have 2 tweeters in front and 1 on the back. Very nice speakers but there is no way I can keep them in my house. If someone knows anything about them let me know!

Here is a picture of them:

http://i48.tinypic.com/357fuow.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/mh3xa0.jpg

m.powers
06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Daks! You are trippin me out !! All my Drag Racing Buddies Think I am nuts.
because ,I load up on Speakers & Vintage sound equipment I have pass thru
my garage on a reg. basis. Hell, I don't believe I am 1/2 the horder you and the
Kid appear to be !! Now I am really Jellous !! Keep up the ROLL !!! Your
Lookin good!!

dakatabg
06-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Daks! You are trippin me out !! All my Drag Racing Buddies Think I am nuts.
because ,I load up on Speakers & Vintage sound equipment I have pass thru
my garage on a reg. basis. Hell, I don't believe I am 1/2 the horder you and the
Kid appear to be !! Now I am really Jellous !! Keep up the ROLL !!! Your
Lookin good!!

Thank you, thank you. The new Sansui goodies I put next to the 9090DB i have. Now is time to get some tube amps.

Do you guys think it is a good idea to wrap some vintage pieces and put them in a good place? Do I have to play them once in a while?

I am asking because I got so much stuff and I wanna put some on the side (i don't wanna sell them) so what is the best way to store them?

Mr Peabody
06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Why can't you keep the CV's in the house? I found a pair of LaScalla II's on CL for only $1500.00 but I don't have the room for them. They only weigh 175 lbs each. That sounds like a lot of money but not compared to what a new pair of LaScalla would set you back.

dakatabg
06-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Why can't you keep the CV's in the house? I found a pair of LaScalla II's on CL for only $1500.00 but I don't have the room for them. They only weigh 175 lbs each. That sounds like a lot of money but not compared to what a new pair of LaScalla would set you back.

Because I have everything organized and all my cabinets and furnitures are in black and the Vegas look not right in any room I have. I would love to keep them but no space as well. How much do you guys think they will be worth? Like 200 bucks?

Mr Peabody
06-01-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure what the CV's would bring.

dakatabg
06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
The only thing I can find about those Vegas is that they were made 1979 - 1983.

thekid
06-02-2010, 01:54 AM
$200 is probably on the high side since I think they retailed new for around $350 based on one source I found. CV's are generally not in high demand among vintage collectors and tend to have the reputation as a speaker more suited to playing rock loud more than anything else. $50-$100 is probably a more realistic price if they are in good shape but you never know some people see a big woofer and go a little crazy.

As for packing up gear and storing it IMO speakers are good candidates for that since they have less to worry about while sitting. Electronics are a different issue as dust and moisture in even the smallest amounts can cause issues over the long run. I' d first determine if you have any stuff you absolutely know will never make it back to your main system and then sell it so you can purchase other gear or upgrade existing gear. Anything that remains after that I would wrap up carefully and but in boxes to keep it out of the elements. Periodically I'd take whatever is in storage out, give it a good cleaning and play it for awhile.

dakatabg
06-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I will see what I can do with those big Vegas. Regarding the storing part, I will clean everything good and store it in a boxes in the storage.

m.powers
06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey Mr Peabody,
Back to your question to Daks about keeping the CVs in the house! The only time
my gear had to leave the house was when I was married. Sansui had to go down
to the Garage. Now I have 2. Oh, you guessed it. Not Wives !!

Mr Peabody
06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey Mr Peabody,
Back to your question to Daks about keeping the CVs in the house! The only time
my gear had to leave the house was when I was married. Sansui had to go down
to the Garage. Now I have 2. Oh, you guessed it. Not Wives !!

:) One has to have their priorities straight.

dakatabg
06-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Another lucky day. I got 2 receivers in mint condition.

Harman Kardon Two Hundred 200

Pioneer SX-424

Both are perfectly working. I still can't believe that SX-424 is rated only 12W per channel. It sound for 10x more.

By the way does anyone know the wattage of the Harman Kardon?

http://i47.tinypic.com/mkggzk.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n8oifk.jpg

Mr Peabody
06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
That HK should sound noticeably better than many receivers you have. You are going to be able to start your own vintage resale shop. You might want to take inventory and see a doctor to make sure you don't have that horder disease. :)

dakatabg
06-07-2010, 05:50 PM
That HK should sound noticeably better than many receivers you have. You are going to be able to start your own vintage resale shop. You might want to take inventory and see a doctor to make sure you don't have that horder disease. :)

Maybe I should visit a doctor for that :). Well I am 23 and I like music so I buy what I see good and on good price, plus even if one day I wanna sell it, I get my money back + profit( I am studying accounting) because I buy it on a good deal. I sell some of the stuff as well because I can't keep everything home. I just keep the good stuff but lately too much good stuff.

So can you guys find out the wattage of the HK receiver? It tried but I couldn't find any info. It sounds pretty loud and nice. Like I said I am still so impressed with the 12W Pioneer. It sounds a million times more powerful.

Mr Peabody
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah, it's definitely hard to pass on good deals.

Here's something, a thread with good info, seems you may have HK's first solid state receiver built in 1967. The thread also has a link to owner's manual if it's still a good link. If this is your receiver it's about 50 watts.
http://www.audiophiletalk.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152666879

dakatabg
06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Mr Peabody thanks a lot. I will keep this receiver for sure. I just downloaded the manual. 50W is not bad at all. Wow 1967 that is over 40 years old and it is in mint condition and everything is perfectly working. I will open it tomorrow and post some pictures from inside the unit so see what is hidden in there.

Mr Peabody
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Does yours have that nice wooden case?

thekid
06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Another nice pick-up with the HK. I have several Kenwoods from that time period and they were ugly compared to the HK. 50wpc for that time period would have put it at the upper end since most gear then would have been in the 20-30wpc range.

dakatabg
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Does yours have that nice wooden case?

If you talk about the HK it doesn't have wooden box but if you talk about the Pioneer it has wooden box.

Thekid, yeah it is pretty powerful. I will have to give it a good cleaning (it looks clean but I have to look it up myself). Not many options on it and I hate how to power it on, you use the volume control.

I don't think the HK 200 is that popular since I couldn't find much online and I guess it is not worth a lot but hey another vintage piece is always welcomed.

poppachubby
06-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Did you guys think this was a two man race suddenly?!? I am here to allow you to grovel at my feet, and beg for forgiveness. Pfffft, peasants!!!

On a leisure bike ride with the kids, found these on a curb. The owner came out as I was looking to inform me that they were working fine some 5 years ago before he put them away. He was housecleaning. Imagine these in a dump!

They function fully. I will be cleaning them inside and out, and then selling them promptly. The proceeds going towards tubes or the TT fund. Any suggestions on a fair sale price.

Marantz SR-640

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4682264395_16b449ebb5_b.jpg

Pioneer SX-650

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4682261217_8c0d232f42_b.jpg

dakatabg
06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Pappa you are killing our reputation to me and 'thekid"

I had exactly the same Marantz receiver in the winter and I sold it for $100. I think it was rated 45W per channel. It sounds pretty good with deep bass but I hated the yellow color.

Regarding the Pioneer SX-650 ebay is flooded with it and I see it goes for around $80 to $100 so you can get around $200 for both.

But hey you got them for free so you don't have to worry that much.

poppachubby
06-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes Dak, I will price them to sell fast due to the free pick up. Probably go $75 list and let them go for $60 if need be. Yes I hate the way that vintage of Marantz look also. It's a nice unit but looks cheap. The Pioneer is wonderful, I wish I had a use for it. The reality is that I need to liquidize the extra gear I have and focus it back into my main system.

I "need" a TT upgrade more than anything. After that I would like to try some high efficiency speaks. I also need 6L6 tubes for my SE40. My Ampeg V4 also needs to be rolled. The SE40 will cost me about $150 - 200 for TOTL NOS tubes.

Oh ya, I also have a package to send Atomic Adam whcih I need to do soon.

dakatabg
06-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I should get one tube amplifier too. My first amp when I started with electronics was tube and it was called Precision Electronic. It was good but I hated the bzzzzz sound when the volume was down. I ended up selling it.

Here I found a similar picture to the one I had.

dakatabg
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Here are the pictures of the Harman Kardon Two Hundred from inside!

It is so clean and everything looks to be in order.

http://i50.tinypic.com/adf05c.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/255qb91.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2laq845.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ilzsk3.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2h4jmmt.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/27zyd5x.jpg

thekid
06-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Did you guys think this was a two man race suddenly?!? I am here to allow you to grovel at my feet, and beg for forgiveness. Pfffft, peasants!!!

Pops- I am not going to grovel-my knees are too bad-Plus my SX-850 trumps your mere 650..... :D

Seriously very good pick-up and I think should be able to sell them both fairly quickly. Congrats!

Daks- Nice pics on that HK. If I am reading the one photo correctly it looks like it's power consumption is 50 watts and the general rule of thumb is that the wpc is 1/3 of the power usage so my guess is that is 15-20 wpc receiver at 8ohms.

poppachubby
06-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Refresh my memory Scott, does one of your kids have the SX-850? I'm totally floored by the 650. You know I'm not new to the vintage receiver game, so believe me when I say this Pioneer has got something special. Seems very minimal for a receiver, perhaps that's part of it.

I put my Sound Dynamics on it and man do they sing. Just a great combo. It's funny, most people would assume the 1200SMT would be a better fit with a SET amp, but I have found the opposite to be true. With their high efficiency and metal dome horn, I believe a low powered but well designed SS amp is the ticket.

Anyhow, I won't be selling it, that's for sure. A real gem. I would love to hear the SX850. Do you have any comparison experience between the two?

OK back to cleaning...

thekid
06-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Refresh my memory Scott, does one of your kids have the SX-850? I'm totally floored by the 650. You know I'm not new to the vintage receiver game, so believe me when I say this Pioneer has got something special. Seems very minimal for a receiver, perhaps that's part of it.

I put my Sound Dynamics on it and man do they sing. Just a great combo. It's funny, most people would assume the 1200SMT would be a better fit with a SET amp, but I have found the opposite to be true. With their high efficiency and metal dome horn, I believe a low powered but well designed SS amp is the ticket.

Anyhow, I won't be selling it, that's for sure. A real gem. I would love to hear the SX850. Do you have any comparison experience between the two?

OK back to cleaning...

I have never heard a 650 or have been able to make a direct comparison with my 850 and others from the SX line. The guy I bought the 850 from used to be an AK regular and he actually owns(ed) every receiver in the SX line-up up to the 1250. I did get to hear his 1050 and it was pretty incredible. Most Pioneer fans think the SX line does not start to really impress until you get to the 750 or higher so if you like the 650 keep your eyes open. He gave a great deal on my especially since it had been overhauled recently so it should run another 30 years w/o any problems.

As mentioned in another post I going to be moving things around so not sure what is going to be matched up with the 850. Leaning towards either the EV's or EPI 100's in a small bedroom set-up.

dakatabg
06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
The king is back. Today I got home with something that everyone will appreciate. Ok let me get started.

I got another Marantz 2230 but that is not it. I also got one very big boy who looks very mean - Sansui G-7000 in mint condition and perfectly working. Guys please don't hate me :ihih:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2n9vpk4.jpg

Mr Peabody
06-21-2010, 06:47 PM
dak, how much did you charge to hall that junk away? LOL

dakatabg
06-21-2010, 06:55 PM
dak, how much did you charge to hall that junk away? LOL

This junk can blow almost any speakers I connect to it.

I paid a lot less than the actual value. Another, like you say it junk to the Daka's collection! It lays over the Sansui 9090DB and I have the Sansui 881 over it. :D

thekid
06-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Very nice!
That is from the era when Sansui was building some very good stuff.
Did you find this one local?

dakatabg
06-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Very nice!
That is from the era when Sansui was building some very good stuff.
Did you find this one local?

Hello Thekid,

I always deal locally because I have the chance to test it and hear it before I purchase. I used to buy on ebay but few times I had very bad experience plus the shipping for those heavy receivers is pricy. They don't even have this receiver on ebay if you check. Not many people sell this G class Sansui especially with higher number like 7000.

Since we are talking about Sansui, I just purchased 4 light bulbs for the TU-717 tuner because I noticed that 2 of them weren't working. I bought 2 extra in case for future.

Mr Peabody
06-22-2010, 03:41 PM
You know I was just messing with you.

dakatabg
06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
You know I was just messing with you.

I knew you were kidding.

dakatabg
06-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Today I grabbed for one of my Sansui receivers a pair of Sansui SP-1700 speakers. Everything original. They sound amazing with the G-7000 I have.

http://i49.tinypic.com/5u1lk7.jpg

thekid
06-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Today I grabbed for one of my Sansui receivers a pair of Sansui SP-1700 speakers. Everything original. They sound amazing with the G-7000 I have.

http://i49.tinypic.com/5u1lk7.jpg

Always good when things like that work out.
Since the G-7000 is working out for you, you can go ahead send me the TU-717 to match up with my AU-505....... :D

poppachubby
06-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Hey guys, check this relic out. Picked it up at the thrift for 5 bucks. This sucker is a real dinosaur. It weighs 10 pounds. Actually the lay out inside is quite impressive.

It uses the same chipset as the Sony CDP 101, and is shaped the same too. Non Over Sampling of course, since upsampling was not yet created.

It's a little dark sounding and the highs come off a bit flat. Otherwise decent detail and imaging.

dakatabg
06-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Always good when things like that work out.
Since the G-7000 is working out for you, you can go ahead send me the TU-717 to match up with my AU-505....... :D

If I had another TU-717 I would send you one buy I can't just leave the AU-717 amp by itself.

I am thinking of changing the capacitors on the AU-717, they are 15,000UF 63V

, does anyone know any good sites where I can purchase them?

dakatabg
06-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey guys, check this relic out. Picked it up at the thrift for 5 bucks. This sucker is a real dinosaur. It weighs 10 pounds. Actually the lay out inside is quite impressive.

It uses the same chipset as the Sony CDP 101, and is shaped the same too. Non Over Sampling of course, since upsampling was not yet created.

It's a little dark sounding and the highs come off a bit flat. Otherwise decent detail and imaging.

This cd player is similar to one I had before. It was RCA and super big and heavy! I am not sure of the model!

thekid
06-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Still coming down to earth from the Oppo score.
However I just swapped out the transport for MSB DAC because I picked up this Sony today off CL. I know some people don't have much respect for Sony but the early ES line was pretty good and a step up from their regular gear.

Original owner and they included the remote. Solidly built with some nice features. Does not have a coaxial connection so have to use the Optical one. Sound seems fuller as compared to previous Sony DVD player I was using.

dakatabg
06-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Usually we see the CDP series today! I have Sony CDP-CE275 and CDP-CE525 home but they are listen on craigslist for sale.

They are not bad cd players but just not my type.

I see the one you have has a lot of futures.

It seems that me, thekid and poppachubby get new stuff once in a while or the others don't wanna share the wealth!

thekid
06-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Feeling the pressure to live up to Worf's description of me...

TheKid, he gets his for scouring all the thrifts in the known universe and allowing us to live vicariously though his vintageness.

I stopped by a church yard sale and found this little piece for $5. Overall condition is very good and it appears to be functioning flawlessly. It is a Sony RX79ES. The wood side and top pieces appear to be missing but otherwise it is in very good shape. I now have managed to accumulate a nice little Sony ES set-up in the last 30 days.

I hate to jinx myself but the items I have managed to pick up this month and last are probably an all-time best for me. Now where is that lottery ticket I bought.....

dakatabg
06-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Now you have a good set of Sony CD player and cassette deck.

I see lately you pick a lot of Sony gears. Now it is time to get one Sony amp

thekid
06-27-2010, 03:03 AM
Now you have a good set of Sony CD player and cassette deck.

I see lately you pick a lot of Sony gears. Now it is time to get one Sony amp

Daks

I did get this ES receiver a couple of weeks ago.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=33478

I did not plan to go crazy with the Sony gear but the ES line (I can now confirm from personal use) a cut of above the regular gear (think Pioneer Elite) and I just keep getting lucky. I have managed to put together an entire ES system now for just over $100 but I don't see myself adding a ES amp/pre-amp to this group. I am trying to figure out where it is going to go. Not sure that I want to bump out my Kenwood separates or my silver Kenwood set-up. Trying to calculate the WAF now and see where it can go. I am pretty sure with all the set-ups and speakers already in place my wife has a suggestion..... :)

poppachubby
06-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Does your wife prefer black or silver? Does she have any sound preferences? Mine couldn't care less. For her it's either a good place to put it or not. Wouldn't matter to her if it was all Audio Note $60K system.

02audionoob
06-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Vintage receivers are like girlfriends. They're pretty and I'd like to have several, but my wife limits me to one or two at a time.

thekid
06-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Does your wife prefer black or silver? Does she have any sound preferences? Mine couldn't care less. For her it's either a good place to put it or not. Wouldn't matter to her if it was all Audio Note $60K system.

I don't think she has a preference but she does like symetry. Does not like to see black and silver mixed. Her basic premise is that it should at least look like it was all meant to go together. It will be interesting what happens in a couple of weeks when I (hopefully) get my B&K ST-140 amp and Adcom GFP-555 pre-amp from the shop. The Adcom gear is grayish and the B&K is gloss black. I am hoping to stack the B&K on the black Sony CD player and then stack the MSB DAC and an Adcom tuner with the pre-amp. That should be color coordinated enough to pass with her.

Mr Peabody
06-27-2010, 02:20 PM
I would think the ES gear would have a slight sound improvement over the silver Kenwood, shouldn't be able to touch the Basic though. The Adcom/B&K should compare to the Basic and it will be interesting to see which you prefer.

thekid
06-28-2010, 02:10 AM
I would think the ES gear would have a slight sound improvement over the silver Kenwood, shouldn't be able to touch the Basic though. The Adcom/B&K should compare to the Basic and it will be interesting to see which you prefer.

Well the Kenwood combo is pretty strong. The 8300 tuner is great for listening to classical music. I am hoping the B&K will be a slight improvement over the Kenwood Basic given the write up in Stereophile magazine years ago.

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/675/

They mention a tube-like quality to the amp and since I have heard the Heresy's sound so much better with tube gear this is the best option available to me for the moment. The Adcom pre-amp seems to be well respected but I will probably try it and the C2 to see whiich one matches up best with the B&K. The tech said both pieces should be ready in 2weeks so we will just have to see.

dakatabg
06-28-2010, 11:11 AM
A friend gave me This beautiful Technics SA-300 receiver. It is nothing special but hey for free who wouldn't take this silver face receiver.

It is in mint condition and rated 35W per channel. Not a bad receiver at all and good sound. It was made 1979 to 1981 so it is pretty old.

http://i47.tinypic.com/288bl0m.jpg

thekid
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Daks

Congrats!
i had the receiver that was a step down from the one in your pic as part of my first stereo system. It served me well althrough college and a few years beyond.

dakatabg
06-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Yeah it is a nice one. I am still thinking if I should keep it or sell it!

Mr Peabody
06-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm sure you will find that Technics isn't close to the Sansui gear you have, I'd sell it.

dakatabg
06-28-2010, 08:18 PM
That it is not even close to the power and the quality of the Sansui and Marantz it is true. It still sounds a lot better than most of the new stuff though. I will probably sell it because I have too much stuff home and I prefer to keep only good stuff.

02audionoob
06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
That it is not even close to the power and the quality of the Sansui and Marantz it is true. It still sounds a lot better than most of the new stuff though. I will probably sell it because I have too much stuff home and I prefer to keep only good stuff.

You're apparently listening to the wrong new stuff.

dakatabg
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
I guess I am but it is all right. Well the Technics is on craigslist for $60. I see it sells on ebay for 70+ shipping so 60 is a good price!

dakatabg
06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Another Sansui score:

Sansui A-550 Amplifier

Sansui T-550 Radio Tuner

Sansui D-55M Cassette Deck

Sansui P-L40 Turntable ( not pictured)

Lately I am getting only Sansui stuff. They are in mint condition as always and I have the manuals. I feel like I should make a new thread named "dakatabg's goodies"

http://i48.tinypic.com/91kthu.jpg

Mr Peabody
06-29-2010, 03:20 PM
You can represent the line very well.

Can you cook Chinese food? Dak's Sansui & Chop Suey

dakatabg
06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Ha ha,

I sell a lot of stuff on craigslist and I have a small resale shop so all the goodies I post here I get from there!

What is good I keep and what is junky I sell.

The stuff I keep is listed on my profile

I get a lot more electronics but some are not even worth taking a picture and what I decide is good I share with the crew here!

02audionoob
06-29-2010, 03:31 PM
What are you doing with all this gear? Are you setting up systems all over the house?

Feanor
06-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Another Sansui score:

Sansui A-550 Amplifier

Sansui T-550 Radio Tuner

Sansui D-55M Cassette Deck

Sansui P-L40 Turntable ( not pictured)

Lately I am getting only Sansui stuff. They are in mint condition as always and I have the manuals. I feel like I should make a new thread named "dakatabg's goodies"

They certainly look to be in mint condition. However I just can't surpress the urge to say that that the early-mid 80's was an era of pretty atrocious styling, (not to say that Sansui was especially bad -- on the contrary).

But I hate those pseudo block diagrams that pretend to show the processing modules of the unit -- completely gratuitious. Also that was also when black almost totally replaced silver. And on many models were those atrocious slider controls; (not these Sansuis fortunately). What I'm trying to say is, for vintage, give me (1) silver, (2) rotary knobs and/or (3) flip switches, and (4) analog meters -- if indeed any meters.

dakatabg
06-29-2010, 04:07 PM
What are you doing with all this gear? Are you setting up systems all over the house?

I don't keep all of them. As I mentioned above I sell them but some of the good stuff I keep. This one will go for sale for sure.

I have a resale shop so I get a lot of electronics (mostly junk) but when I get something old and kind of classic I take it home and sell it.

I sell on craigslist as well! I buy on craigslist and sell in the store! it is a big story but I think it is good to post stuff like that so everyone can see it plus it keeps the forum on. I like when I see members posting pictures of nice stuff!

Mr Peabody
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Got egg roll with that 550? If you could make enough to pay the rent a resale shop is a great idea and all the vintage gear, movies and LP's would just be a fringe benefit.

I wonder when the original Sansui went out of business. I'm almost sure it was before the 80's ended, so some of the later Sansui may not really be Sansui. Well unfortunately almost right; this is interesting

http://www.classicsansui.net/sansui-history.htm

http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=3877

This later link gives a pretty good run down of what amps were good and what maybe to sell off.

thekid
06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Daks

The gear looks nice and I don't want to rain on your parade but that gear is Sansui of a different era than the other pieces you have posted here. Not saying it is bad as I have never heard it, just that it does rate as well as your other true Sansui gear and is not as desirable among collectors.

dakatabg
06-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Guys I know it is nothing special but I just wanted to post it here so everyone can see it.

I know it is not collectable and there are many like this on ebay selling the whole set for 100 bucks.

It is Sansui so I just decided to post it. I think everyone enjoys seeing something new.

E-Stat
06-29-2010, 07:07 PM
I have a resale shop so I get a lot of electronics (mostly junk) but when I get something old and kind of classic I take it home and sell it.
Do you ever come across vintage Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson, Dayton-Wright, Krell, Mark Levinson, Stax, or Threshold gear?

rw

dakatabg
06-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Few times I had Audio Research bookshelf speakers but the other brands you mentioned, random people don't buy them and when it is time to sell them, they ask the real price. I think you know what I mean.

Mostly I get the sony, pioneer, yamaha, onkyo, denon and the other common brands electronics. I get what the people bring me in the store. The good stuff I post here I hunt on craigslist!

Mr Peabody
06-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Do you ever come across vintage Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson, Dayton-Wright, Krell, Mark Levinson, Stax, or Threshold gear?

rw

Now, that, would be sweet! Come on, let's just drop grandpa's old tube gear off at the Goodwill.

thekid
06-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Guys I know it is nothing special but I just wanted to post it here so everyone can see it.

I know it is not collectable and there are many like this on ebay selling the whole set for 100 bucks.

It is Sansui so I just decided to post it. I think everyone enjoys seeing something new.

That's cool-just was not sure if you knew where it fit in relative to your other Sansui gear.
Nice to have the gear come to you-you never know what is just around the next corner...maybe someone will bring in Grandpa's tube amp...... :D

E-Stat
06-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Few times I had Audio Research bookshelf speakers...
Not the same company. They only produced electronics and marketed Magneplanars for a while in the 70s.

rw

poppachubby
06-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey guys, check out what I found for 2 bucks at the thrift today!! Man I'm excited. Of course, it's fully functional and cleaned up almost mint.

I love my PS2 as a transport and DVD player. You can shake and smack it as it plays and it won't skip a beat, OR make a peep.

dakatabg
06-30-2010, 07:25 PM
You can't beat the price for $2. Great deal!

thekid
07-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I know not many here are familiar with or are a fan of early DCM speakers but I am and was fortunate to find this pair of Time Windows in great shape with the original grill foam still attached. They are not replacing the Klipsch but they will be just next door in my other system.....

luvtolisten
07-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Nice! I have never heard a pair of DCM Time Windows but have heard good things by people online that own them. The ones that do own them, love them, like a cult following. I have have been intrigued by them myself. Right now there is a pair on CL here, TF-400 for $175. Not sure if that's a deal or not.

thekid
07-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice! I have never heard a pair of DCM Time Windows but have heard good things by people online that own them. The ones that do own them, love them, like a cult following. I have have been intrigued by them myself. Right now there is a pair on CL here, TF-400 for $175. Not sure if that's a deal or not.

$175 for TF-400's would be a bit on the high side. If the grill socks are in good shape and all the drivers work $75 might be more in the right range. TF-400's are usually the starting point for the TF series any model higher than is something you want to try. Prices for these TF's would be closer to the $175 be asked there in CL depending on the model #.

luvtolisten
07-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks Kid for the info, I thought you would know if anyone would. Yeah, they've been on CL for 3 weeks which kind of tells me it's not so great a deal. Not many of the vintage ones around, seems like the better ones, people are hanging on to them. Makes your purchase all the sweeter!

dakatabg
07-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I had before DCM KX12 Series II speakers but I sold them! I guess they are a lot newer than the ones you guys have and talk about.

They look nice thekid. I wasn't impressed with the ones I had but maybe the ones you have are a lot better. You know the older the better :)

thekid
07-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Yeah Daks the KX series and the DCM of today are not in the same league or even by the same manufacturer as these. To really appreciate DCM speakers you need to listen to the Time Frame series models 400 and higher (most people favor the 600's,700's or TF-1000's) or the Time Windows series models 1,3 or 7. They are not head banging speakers but they play every other genre very well. A bit of a sleeper brand which allows for the occasional steal to be made like on the ones I got yesterday. I have over 40 pairs of speakers currently and 7 of them are early DCM so that should tell you something.

luvtolisten
07-02-2010, 04:35 AM
I'm loving this thread. You guys (Kid & Dak) are my mentors. I jumped on the vintage speaker wagon about a year ago. So far I have about 30 pairs (mostly bookshelf). Glad to see I'm not the only speaker junkie.

thekid
07-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I thought I'd show that I don't only look for deals on audio gear..... :D

poppachubby
07-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Nice piece kid, you're a real renniasance man

thekid
07-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Nice piece kid, you're a real renniasance man
Don't know about that but for the usual $20 I thought it was a good deal.

manlystanley
07-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I thought I'd show that I don't only look for deals on audio gear..... :D

Where did you get that from!!! Wow, it's beautiful!!!

Ummmmm.... Stan clears his throat, scratches his head........... and says: "So, how about auctioning it off??? I'll start the bid at $25......" :D

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 03:53 AM
OOOhhhhh guys. My brothers in vintage. I have acquired a Sony CDP-390. Excellent condition for $15. I am really excited. It contains my beloved TDA 1543 and the mighty KSS 210A. Aside from some of the ES series, the units containing the TDA 15xx are few and far between. I pick it up this afternoon. Here's a pic to tie you over...

http://images.gittigidiyor.com/2387/SONY-CDP-390-COMPACT-DISC-CD-PLAYER__23879603_0.jpg

thekid
07-10-2010, 04:20 AM
OOOhhhhh guys. My brothers in vintage. I have acquired a Sony CDP-390. Excellent condition for $15. I am really excited. It contains my beloved TDA 1543 and the mighty KSS 210A. Aside from some of the ES series, the units containing the TDA 15xx are few and far between. I pick it up this afternoon. Here's a pic to tie you over...

http://images.gittigidiyor.com/2387/SONY-CDP-390-COMPACT-DISC-CD-PLAYER__23879603_0.jpg

Looks like a very nice player. I am certainly happy with my 2 Sony ES players so if this is similiar I think you will like it. I did come across a Phillips/Magnavox player yesterday for $10 model number was CD-735 rr something like that. Is that one of the ones on your watch list?

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Looks like a very nice player. I am certainly happy with my 2 Sony ES players so if this is similiar I think you will like it. I did come across a Phillips/Magnavox player yesterday for $10 model number was CD-735 rr something like that. Is that one of the ones on your watch list?

As far as I know, there's no CD 735. You gotta write this stuff down kid. However all 700 series are indeed good.

luvtolisten
07-10-2010, 05:02 AM
I have a Phillips CDR 785 (CD recorder). Does it have the magic chip?

Nice looking CD player, I've had Sony's in the past (not as high end as yours) but they never died.

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 05:13 AM
I have a Phillips CDR 785 (CD recorder). Does it have the magic chip?

Nice looking CD player, I've had Sony's in the past (not as high end as yours) but they never died.

I'm afraid Philips stoppped using the TDA series years ago. The funny part is, esoteric companies like Audio Note have discovered the magic of these chips. They are more commonly found nowadays inside an external DAC unit.

Here is some reading for you LTL...

http://www.marantzphilips.nl/history_of_the_Philips_tda_d_a_converter/

The TDA 1541A is the mother of all DAC chips, but is no longer in production. They are so longed for that a black market has started, selling fakes on places like Ebay.

The 1541A gets even better with a S1 and S2 version. Single and double crown.

The 1543 is still popular today and my personal fave. Combined with the CDM 4/19 it's a real winner.

Feanor
07-10-2010, 05:47 AM
The TDA 1541A is the mother of all DAC chips, but is no longer in production. They are so longed for that a black market has started, selling fakes on places like Ebay.
One certainly sees lots of TDA1541A -based DACs, etc., on eBay. How do we know that they are fakes and not NOS? Or if forgeries, could it be that they are basically good copies of the original?

thekid
07-10-2010, 05:50 AM
As far as I know, there's no CD 735. You gotta write this stuff down kid. However all 700 series are indeed good.

Sorry I could not remember the letters in front but the 735 is accurate.
I don't need another player but only mentioned it if it was something you were looking for as we have talked before about the Phillips/Magnavox players.

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 07:35 AM
One certainly sees lots of TDA1541A -based DACs, etc., on eBay. How do we know that they are fakes and not NOS? Or if forgeries, could it be that they are basically good copies of the original?

I don't know. I know fakes are an issue through reading on DIY sites, etc. You know I am talking about the chip itself right? I personally don't have a need for the actual chip.

Here's some reading...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/32587-real-tda1541a.html

Mr Peabody
07-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Poppa C, know anything about the Denon DCD-2560?

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Poppa C, know anything about the Denon DCD-2560?

Hey P. A little old for your taste no? It has a Sony KSS 151A transport which are well regarded. It also uses a mono 20 bit AD1862. This is different for Denon who usually stuck with Burr Brown chips. The 1862 isn't bad and has an exceptional low noise output. This should make the 2560 output low level detail really well. It uses 4 of these chips in a double implementation. There are also 2 different filters SM5840AP and SM5828P which can't do anymore than 8 times oversampling.

Overall I would say it would be worth a listen, if the price is right. Personally i would prefer an older Denon with a Burr Brown PCM56 or PCM63.

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Picked it up for the princely sum of $15. Excellent condition complete with remote. I am readying it for a listen...

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 12:04 PM
I threw on some Nicholas Payton, sounds great. Brighter than my Magnavox with less roll off in the top end. The transport is dead quiet, even the drawer is silent while functioning.

One thing I like is the "Fader" feature and of course, who could forget "Music Scan".

Mr Peabody
07-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks Poppa. I actually have had the 2560 for years. I was just using it for a transport, never really liked it's sound. All the Denon players I've heard have been on the bright side and not very natural sounding.

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks Poppa. I actually have had the 2560 for years. I was just using it for a transport, never really liked it's sound. All the Denon players I've heard have been on the bright side and not very natural sounding.

I agree with you, haven't met too many Denons I've liked. Most Sonys, Pioneers and Kenwoods sound like chit. They all have some exceptions and of course, some audiophile series which may have been good.

Pioneer pulled up their pants and now have Elite.

Anyhow, as a transport your Denon is aces. Also keep in mind the 151A sells for 50 - 75 bucks used! Very much sought after, and for good reason.

How about a NIB 151A? http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?dgtlplay&1278984941

Feanor
07-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't know. I know fakes are an issue through reading on DIY sites, etc. You know I am talking about the chip itself right? I personally don't have a need for the actual chip.

Here's some reading...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/32587-real-tda1541a.html
I won't have any use for the raw chip either, though supposed NOS is being flogged on eBay ... here (http://cgi.ebay.ca/PHILIPS-TDA1541A-TDA1541-DAC-IC-Non-Oversampling-1PCS-/280532065774?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4151039dee) ...

http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!Bmsuw5w!mk~$(KGrHqUOKjUEtlu8Dr06BLgh1Fli1Q~~_35.J PG

But I am sort of attracted to THIS (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220630981595&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) DAC board supposedly featuring a pair of TDA1514A's and a DIR9001 receiver.

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
So funny, with Taiwan wrote on it. The DAC however looks to contain the real deal. Hard to say. This is partly why I like the 1543, it's availability guarantees it's authenticity. If I wanted a 1541A I would just keep my eyes peeled for a vintage machine.
, and take it out if I needed to.

luvtolisten
07-10-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm afraid Philips stoppped using the TDA series years ago. The funny part is, esoteric companies like Audio Note have discovered the magic of these chips. They are more commonly found nowadays inside an external DAC unit.

Here is some reading for you LTL...

http://www.marantzphilips.nl/history_of_the_Philips_tda_d_a_converter/

The 1541A gets even better with a S1 and S2 version. Single and double crown.

The 1543 is still popular today and my personal fave. Combined with the CDM 4/19 it's a real winner.
Thanks for the info PoppaC! I bookmarked it. Your knowledge and experience with DAC's, it's greatly appreciated. I'm sure you not only enlightened me, but others here as as well.:thumbsup:

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info PoppaC! I bookmarked it. Your knowledge and experience with DAC's, it's greatly appreciated. I'm sure you not only enlightened me, but others here as as well.:thumbsup:

Thanks LTL, but don't confuse me as an expert. Just a guy who knows what he likes, and has paid attention to what I don't like.

poppachubby
07-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Hey guys, really excited about this one. My buddies father passed, and he gifted me this old school Sony integrated. It was in bad shape, pots very dirty and fuses blown. Gave it some love and it has absolutely gorgeous sound.

I guess it's from the 70's.

So full and rich, where did Sony go wrong? I love it because it's small, only 10 * 13 and quite powerful. Hooked into my Paradigms, I can barely turn the knob up to a quarter turn.

I may add this to my comp system and dethrone the Pioneer. I may put it upstairs too...

dakatabg
07-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Poppa I see you still have the Marantz SR-640 on the ground.

luvtolisten
07-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Very nice looking amp! I had a Sony STR4800 receiver from around that same period. They style is very similar.They are built like a tank. I wish I still had mine. It was rated 35 watts a channel, but that had to be underrated,or at least honest watts,as most Sony's were back then.. I bought an integrated 100 watt/channel amp by Vector Research. I returned it after 3 weeks, just didn't have the "fullness" or feel of power the Sony had.

thekid
07-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Could not let Poppa C have all the fun this weekend........ :D

Found this NHT sub in good shape but the major drawback to it is the outboard controller is missing and the only connection is a 8-Pin Din connection. Not sure if I can use an adapter to hook it up to my HT amp.

thekid
07-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Here is the second pick up the weekend which was found at garage sale around the corner from the house. Of course I don't need it but this is a version (mine did not have the simulated wood case) of first receiver I bought when I was in college. Works great!

dakatabg
07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice stuff thekid, I have the Technics SA-300 and I still can't sell it on craigslist for $60!

I am working on a deal to get Kenwood KA-801 and KT-815 but we will see how it will go! Any thoughts about this deal?

thekid
07-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Nice stuff thekid, I have the Technics SA-300 and I still can't sell it on craigslist for $60!

I am working on a deal to get Kenwood KA-801 and KT-815 but we will see how it will go! Any thoughts about this deal?

Thanks! If you happen to have a subwoofer amp among your gear or at your store please drop me a note.

As for your deal it is hard to w/o knowing what you are paying. The 801 is a nice little intergrated amp. The tuner seems to be a bit of a mixed bag with some loving it and others not that impressed. I would imagine they look great together. If you don't overpay I think you will be happy with the combo.

dakatabg
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks! If you happen to have a subwoofer amp among your gear or at your store please drop me a note..

I will let you know if I get one subwoofer amp.

I will see the guy tomorrow for the Kenwood amp and tuner and I will post pictures if I get it! it will be an improvement over the KA-7100 I have! The KA-801 is rated 110W per channel so it is a lot more than the KA-7100!

dakatabg
07-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Here is the new local craigslist find!!!

Kenwood KA-801 Amplifier 110wpc with the a matching Kenwood KT-815 Tuner.

In mint condition and perfectly working! Very powerful!

http://i29.tinypic.com/fzc675.jpg

luvtolisten
07-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Very Nice. Someone here has a KA 3500 on CL for $100, in VGC. I am tempted, but I really don't need another amp. But they sure were good looking amps back then.

thekid
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Daks

Congrats!
They look nice!

poppachubby
07-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Nice gear fellas. VU meters always look great, something a woman cannot understand. Like men don't understand Fabio.

Hey kid have you checked Parts Express or Madisound for a sub amp?

dakatabg
07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I cleaned it good and I replaced the 2 front lights on the amplifier so now the meters have light. It looks much better. I cleaned it inside and I cleaned all the switches and pots! Now it is ready to rock! It took me 2 hours to change the lights only! I had to part the whole front face!

thekid
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Nice gear fellas. VU meters always look great, something a woman cannot understand. Like men don't understand Fabio.

I did check PE and MCM but they don't have one with the DIN connection. Have not tried Madisound but a guy over at AK works for NHT and can get me a good discount on a new one with a warranty. I want to go that route but it looks like I am going to have to sell some gear to make it happen. The wife does not mind when I am getting the occasional deal for $25 or go a bit higher on occasion for a mega score like the Heresy's but this is not a must have situation. The things I know I can sell the quickest are the ones I hate to part with the most so some decisions need to be made...... :confused:

Mr Peabody
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Kid, are you just looking for a replacement amp for the NHT or needing a sub? What will it cost you?

thekid
07-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Kid, are you just looking for a replacement amp for the NHT or needing a sub? What will it cost you?

I have the sub which is powered but I need the outboard controller that allows you to set the crossover and volume level is missing. A new one controller would run me $175 which I think still keeps me comfortably below the cost of most decent subs.

I do have a DIN adapter coming and I am wondering if I could use it to connect the sub directly to my HT receiver using its sub pre-out. The receiver already has crossover cutoff setting that directs what goes to your sub and the volume would be controlled just like any other speaker. What do you think? Would this work without blowing up my receiver?

poppachubby
07-13-2010, 03:51 AM
Peabody, did you see my post regarding your Denon? Skip back a page and check out the link!

JoeE SP9
07-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Fabio is a serious audiophile. Stereophile did an article about his system a while back. He was using Krell and Martin Logan gear. If I can find the issue in my collection I'll scan and post pictures.

Mr Peabody
07-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I have the sub which is powered but I need the outboard controller that allows you to set the crossover and volume level is missing. A new one controller would run me $175 which I think still keeps me comfortably below the cost of most decent subs.

I do have a DIN adapter coming and I am wondering if I could use it to connect the sub directly to my HT receiver using its sub pre-out. The receiver already has crossover cutoff setting that directs what goes to your sub and the volume would be controlled just like any other speaker. What do you think? Would this work without blowing up my receiver?

Theoretically, that should work, you could balance all the levels inside the receiver's menu.

thekid
07-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Not sure if I mentioned it but a couple of weeks ago I picked up a GFP-555 and GFT-555 off of CL. The pre-amp had issues so I took it in for repair. Got it back today and -WOW!
Very impressive pre-amp that really brings out the details in the music. Should A?B it with the Kenwood C2 but my guess is that the Adcom would win out. Tuner is good as well though I need to get a decent antena. If I can find a Adcom amp I will be in business!

dakatabg
07-17-2010, 07:31 PM
That is great thekid, I've never had any of the Adcoms stuff but I see very often people selling them on craigslist and especially the one you picked is very common.

Mr Peabody
07-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I really liked the sound of my gfa-5500. The 550 is a MOSFET amp. It is very powerful with sort of a dark presentation. It's one of those "I wish I hadn't sold it" things.

02audionoob
07-17-2010, 09:49 PM
I used to have a GFP-555 and then a GFP-565...not to mention the passive SLC-505. I had a GFA-535, GFA-545II and GFA-555II...still have the GFA-545II and a GCD-575 CD player. That amp cost me something like $80, if I remember right.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4292678611_31f1ef43c0_o.jpg

I also have a C2, which I find to be very nice. The GFP-555 and GFP-565 actually sounded better to me than the SLC-505 and better than no preamp at all but they brought me good money on the auction site, so not much regret that I parted with them. The C2 stayed because the Basic M1 needed a buddy.

As an aside...there seems to be a bit of irony in that dak's pictures are hosted by tinypic.com but they're huge. :)

dakatabg
07-17-2010, 10:31 PM
If you guys don't want me to post big pictures just let me know, I use it because it is easier for me so I don't have to use any picture convertors and I think better for you so you can see it better when it is big.

luvtolisten
07-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Theoretically, that should work, you could balance all the levels inside the receiver's menu.

Just a reminder, the control you are missing (volume) is the gain in front of your amp. In other words your sub is at full volume, Be sure you have your receiver, and sub output at it's lowest volume setting. Remember your sub output is associated with the receiver's volume. as well. Just to be safe you may want to purchase a audio pot (cheap insurance) and place it between your receiver sub output and your sub's input.

thekid
07-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Just a reminder, the control you are missing (volume) is the gain in front of your amp. In other words your sub is at full volume, Be sure you have your receiver, and sub output at it's lowest volume setting. Remember your sub output is associated with the receiver's volume. as well. Just to be safe you may want to purchase a audio pot (cheap insurance) and place it between your receiver sub output and your sub's input.

Thanks guys but the pin adapter does not fit. The proverbial square peg in a round hole issue as the pins on the sub are round but the pins on the adapter are flat. It looks like I am going to buy the outboard bass controller when I can scrape up the cash. This will probably mean I am going to have to sell of some gear but given what I have that is something I need to do anyway. Probably could sell the Marantz 2245 for close to what I need for the bass controller.

luvtolisten
07-18-2010, 05:46 AM
That would be your best bet. Then if you ever should decide to sell it, it wouldn't be an issue doing so.

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys but the pin adapter does not fit. The proverbial square peg in a round hole issue as the pins on the sub are round but the pins on the adapter are flat. It looks like I am going to buy the outboard bass controller when I can scrape up the cash. This will probably mean I am going to have to sell of some gear but given what I have that is something I need to do anyway. Probably could sell the Marantz 2245 for close to what I need for the bass controller.

You still have that M1 for sale?

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 08:39 AM
You still have that M1 for sale?

I have one M1 home but sorry poppa not for sale, maybe one day if I get M2 we can talk :)

Auricauricle
07-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Most of you know I am a gadget fiend. Through the years that I have enjoyed this hobby (passion, sickness), I have looked for ways to get more out of the music than I already enjoy. My budget allows me to go only so far, so at present I don't own very expensive gear. What I do have, is quite nice and has given me many hours of pleasant listening. Still, the urge to tweak comes up now and then, and I will plunk down a few bucks every now and then to indulge thee beast....

Last month, the Minotaur was placated with the purchase of a Carver C-9 Hologram Generator. I won't try to explain what the thing does exactly--there are plenty of folks who can tell you about crosstalk cancellation--but the result has been a noticeable expansion of the sound stage. Time must be taken to set the speakers up, of course, but having done so, I have been rewarded with a presence in the music that had made my listening more involving than before. The stage is a little wider, the presence is a bit more palpable and the room has just a little more...bloom.*

No doubt there will be detractors, who will point out that such machines introduce artifacts and distortions in the music that are not representative of the material. This is a valid assertion. On the other hand, my ears are not what they used to be, and frankly speaking living where I live, the way I live, I must make the most of what I have. So, dear critics, say what you will; I like what I hear and you don't live here....

*I don't know what that is; I just said it, okay?

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Stereo_Signal_Proc/Carver_C-9_Sonic_Hologram_Generator_collage.jpg

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Ok guys here is the new tube find of the day! I just got home with perfectly working Dynaco SCA-35 tube amplifier.

I bought it form the original owner for only $35. It is near mint condition and everything is original in it. All tubes are Dynaco and he said it was barely used. I have the manual book and the schematics for it. What a find for the price. He bought it at the 60's brand new!

Now it will need a good cleaning.

http://i25.tinypic.com/s2s1hz.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/23lmqkp.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/2vmvn1d.jpg

thekid
07-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Great finds there guys!

Daks I have a Dynaco ST-80 amp on the way that I think matched up with that pre-amp. I would be curious to see what you match it up with and what you think of the sound.

Pops- I sent you a PM about the Kenwood. I have been doing alot of tossing and turning lately.....

thekid
07-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Most of you know I am a gadget fiend. Through the years that I have enjoyed this hobby (passion, sickness), I have looked for ways to get more out of the music than I already enjoy. My budget allows me to go only so far, so at present I don't own very expensive gear. What I do have, is quite nice and has given me many hours of pleasant listening. Still, the urge to tweak comes up now and then, and I will plunk down a few bucks every now and then to indulge thee beast....

Last month, the Minotaur was placated with the purchase of a Carver C-9 Hologram Generator. I won't try to explain what the thing does exactly--there are plenty of folks who can tell you about crosstalk cancellation--but the result has been a noticeable expansion of the sound stage. Time must be taken to set the speakers up, of course, but having done so, I have been rewarded with a presence in the music that had made my listening more involving than before. The stage is a little wider, the presence is a bit more palpable and the room has just a little more...bloom.*

No doubt there will be detractors, who will point out that such machines introduce artifacts and distortions in the music that are not representative of the material. This is a valid assertion. On the other hand, my ears are not what they used to be, and frankly speaking living where I live, the way I live, I must make the most of what I have. So, dear critics, say what you will; I like what I hear and you don't live here....

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Stereo_Signal_Proc/Carver_C-9_Sonic_Hologram_Generator_collage.jpg

Nice pick up Auric!
I had picked up a BSR spatial enhancer awhile back never did anything with it. Yours seems more than a step up from that. Enjoy!

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Great finds there guys!

Daks I have a Dynaco ST-80 amp on the way that I think matched up with that pre-amp. I would be curious to see what you match it up with and what you think of the sound.

Pops- I sent you a PM about the Kenwood. I have been doing alot of tossing and turning lately.....

Kid I have done esoteric tube pre into esoteric tube amp. I am much more impressed with the SS pre into the SE40.

I would recommend your C2 into the Dynaco, however, this is from a vinyl point of view.

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Thekid, the amplifier is good and it has a lot of bass. There is no bzzz sound so that is good. I cleaned it good. The only thing that I am not that happy is that it is not powerful at all. It is rated 17W so that is not much but I like how it sounds.

JoeE SP9
07-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Hey AA, It's a bad day at Black Rock when you feel the need to justify using and liking anything. I heard Carver Sonic Holography when it was first introduced. I have the sound sheet that came in an issue of Audio Magazine and the Carver "Test Record". Both of these have musical selections already encoded to give the Sonic Holography effect. I still have (not in use) an Omnisonix 801 Imager (clone holography device) that I had in my system at one time.
If using a Sonic Holography device increases your listening pleasure I'm happy for you. Whatever increases someone's listening pleasure is a good thing. What others think doesn't matter.
I believe the Headroom headphone amplifiers use a variation of the same principal to make headphone listening more pleasurable. The Polk SDA (Stereo Dimensional Array) speaker series does the same thing using extra tweeters, mids and a cable that connects the left and right speakers to each other.

Is the line below something you're trying to hide? If not you really should change the font color.

Gentleman:
A Dynaco SCA-35 is not a preamp. It's an intrgrated.

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Gentleman:

I know it is an amplifier JoeE SP9, I never said it is a preamp.

Auricauricle
07-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Congrats on your new addition, Daka....Can't wait to hear more about this piece. Should be a lot of fun....

Joe: Just kidding around and having fun. The comment was aimed at the poo-pooers who like to lob smart-asparagus bombs for the sake of a lilly-livered argument. As far as the line below, well I just like the subtelty....

Hope all is well with the rest of you tumbleweeds and mongoose-wranglers. Good to be back home where the talk is good and the air smells of fresh, crisp bacon!

02audionoob
07-18-2010, 03:39 PM
If you guys don't want me to post big pictures just let me know, I use it because it is easier for me so I don't have to use any picture convertors and I think better for you so you can see it better when it is big.

Your pictures are nice. Big is good. I was just thinking the name of the site was funny.

Mr Peabody
07-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Dak, the Dynaco was a steal. You need to pair it with a set of Klipsch to achieve some volume from it.

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Gorgeous amp Dak, I somehow missed that post. How does it sound? Klipsch are good but you may not care for the horns. You will want a speaker with high sesitivity, 90+. The tubes appear to be NOS, also nice.

Let us know! Hook up your Cerwins to start.

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Well it is a very nice amplifier and I like the sound a lot. It sounds a lot different than all the electronics I have. It doesn't have much power like I said but what can I expect from 17W amp. With the Vegas I have, it has so much bass.

For the price, that is one on a lifetime deal especially everything original and perfectly working. I see one on ebay for around 300 bucks.

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
The power of a tube amp is subtle. The strength will be in the midrange. It will take some getting used to. I would suggest listening to nothing but the Dynaco for 2 or 3 days.

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I guess I will have to adjust to the new toy. I had before Precision Electronics tube amp and it was a lot more powerful than the Dynaco and the tubes were a lot bigger but I sold it and I knew I didn't have to do that.

I cleaned the amp very well, is there anything else I have to do with the tube amplifier?

poppachubby
07-18-2010, 05:29 PM
I cleaned the amp very well, is there anything else I have to do with the tube amplifier?

Not really. Check the pins on the tubes for corrosion, you'll want to clean that. Let it warm up for about 10 minutes before playing anything. And finally, don't leave it turned on and unattended for long periods of time.

If you want to check the bias on the tubes, turn all the lights off so the room is pitch black. Look at the plates on the tubes, they should only glow a little bit of red to no red. If the plates are really bright red, the bias is out and that can be dangerous for the tubes. You may also notice a blue gas in the tubes, that's normal.

thekid
07-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Gentleman:

My bad I was just reading about Dynaco pre's before responding....

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Not really. Check the pins on the tubes for corrosion, you'll want to clean that. Let it warm up for about 10 minutes before playing anything. And finally, don't leave it turned on and unattended for long periods of time.

If you want to check the bias on the tubes, turn all the lights off so the room is pitch black. Look at the plates on the tubes, they should only glow a little bit of red to no red. If the plates are really bright red, the bias is out and that can be dangerous for the tubes. You may also notice a blue gas in the tubes, that's normal.

I will do that for sure. What is this bias? I see they get light inside when I turn them on but I really don't understand the bias in the tubes, what is that about? Sorry but I don't know, it is the first close touch to tube amps. Can you explain me?

I will let it stay for 10 mins to see if the power will come, when I tried it I had it on just for 2 mins to test it.

Mr Peabody
07-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Dak, here's a short explanation of bias in plain language. You'll have to check the amp's manual for bias instructions. An amp of that age will probably require you to get a voltmeter if you don't already have one. http://www.roccaforteamps.com/tube_bias.htm

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Thank you Mr. Peabody, I have the manual so I will see check it.

I have 12AX7 tubes and it says this:

Your small-signal types (12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 6EU7, 5879, etc.) are self-biased for optimum performance, and no adjustments are needed.

So they are supposed to be set already?

Mr Peabody
07-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Thank you Mr. Peabody, I have the manual so I will see check it.

I have 12AX7 tubes and it says this:

Your small-signal types (12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 6EU7, 5879, etc.) are self-biased for optimum performance, and no adjustments are needed.

So they are supposed to be set already?

Here's a link with some info on your tube compliment. The tubes you listed are Preamp tubes and do not need biased. Your power output tubes are EL84's and will need biasing and it's highly recommended you do so. The article also mentions the sca-35 not having strong bass and the power low. Be sure you are using the 8 ohm speaker terminals. Hooking to the 16 ohm may make the sound even smaller.
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/dynaco-sca35_e.html

You have a winner there and at a give away price. A lot of good info on your amp over the Net.

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Thank you again, now it is getting more clear. I read a lot online. That is a hard process.
Thank you again guys and Mr. Peabody!

Mr Peabody
07-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Thank you again, now it is getting more clear. I read a lot online. That is a hard process.
Thank you again guys and Mr. Peabody!

You are welcome and thankfully biasing isn't something you have to do a lot. I find my tubes don't warm up enough to really open up for about 30 minutes or so. Once you bias, you really should set up the 35 and sit back for a long listening session to see what you think. Be sure to play some music with vocals. Once you begin to listen and get lost in the music and suddenly get startled by the feeling of presence from the singer you may not go back to solid state :)

dakatabg
07-18-2010, 09:03 PM
I even find a very good video on youtube. Here is in case someone else is curious. It looks easy you just need a voltmeter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRg-eT6JKrk

poppachubby
07-19-2010, 05:55 AM
I even find a very good video on youtube. Here is in case someone else is curious. It looks easy you just need a voltmeter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRg-eT6JKrk

Yes easy, but please be 100% of what you're doing. Thanks Peabody for chiming in. I got distracted around the house last night.

Dak I would actually recommend you find a tube tech in your area and pay him a one time fee to show you around the amp. The old mom and pop radio shops usually have a tube pro from the old days still hangin around.

Every amp is a bit different, but they all contain voltage that can literally KILL you. You will need a voltmeter that can read DC and also a small PLASTIC screwdriver. Check the pots, most require a slotted head.

Peabody is correct, biasing is only needed once to MAYBE twice a year.

I watched that video. It's not bad but I want to point out a couple of things. First of all he's using a Biasmaster, which is a special device for tubes. On my Golden Tube for example, I have to remove the shield, flip it upside down and inside are the pots to connect my voltmeter to. I couldn't use a Biasmaster if I wanted to, it would be even more of a PITA.

Also, check your manual for bias numbers. They all vary depending on which tube you're using.

Aside from that he's right, ALWAYS keep a load on the amp while biasing.

JoeE SP9
07-19-2010, 06:40 AM
I know it is an amplifier JoeE SP9, I never said it is a preamp.

That was for thekid. He mentioned matching it with a Stereo 80.

dakatabg
07-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Also, check your manual for bias numbers. They all vary depending on which tube you're using.

It has 12AX7 tubes and I just read the manual book and they don't mention anything for biasing. That is strange. I will check to find around a place where they do that and I will get the amplifier checked there! Thank you guys for the big big help! Soon I will be helping people like you are helping me know for the tube amps!

poppachubby
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
It has 12AX7 tubes and I just read the manual book and they don't mention anything for biasing. That is strange. I will check to find around a place where they do that and I will get the amplifier checked there! Thank you guys for the big big help! Soon I will be helping people like you are helping me know for the tube amps!

As Peabody mentioned 12AX7 is a preamp tube, so fixed bias. Your output tubes should have bias pots. I am not an expert, perhaps your output are fixed as well. Either way take it to a pro. Another benefit of a pro is they will test your tubes for strength, and estimate how much life is left in them.

dakatabg
07-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I have been listening to this amplifier and whole morning and I love it. I think the bias is fixed because I don't have anywhere a bias pots and I checked everywhere even online there is nothing. I will still go to a store. I am looking now and this afternoon I might go get the amplifier to the professional doctors to check it! I like how when I turn it off it keeps going for few seconds. Thanks everyone who helped me.

Regarding the power, now it is a lot powerful than before! I guess it had to work for a while to get going and again love the sound, I can't imagine how those mcintosh tube amps will sound. Maybe one day :)

Mr Peabody
07-19-2010, 12:20 PM
No, Dak, the 12ax7's do not get biased, they are your preamp tubes. Only your EL84's will need biased.

FWIW, there is a Dynaco power amp ST-35 which is also 17 watts. Could be where the confusion came in. Oddly enough same power but a bit different circuitry from the SCA-35.

dakatabg
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Ok here are 2 good news.

I went to a store where they fix guitar amplifiers and etc to check my tube amp. I left it there and I had to wait like an hour till they check whatever they have to check. I was walking around and I found a thrift store few streets down. I walked it and I found in mint condition Technics SA-5200A receiver. All lights work and there is not even a single scratch. For $7.00 and in that condition I couldn't pass it. I put it next to the SA-300 I have.

The second news is that the amplifier I have is in great condition and the tubes are like new the guy said. He said they were hardly used and he sees in them many years ahead. He said the amp bias is right and he hasn't done anything to the amplifier. He said free of charge but I gave him $10 for the favor.

Ok here is a picture of the new find for today!

http://i31.tinypic.com/fcs6rk.jpg

luvtolisten
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Congrats! What a good day! You & the Kid must have the Midas Touch!

dakatabg
07-19-2010, 04:17 PM
We have a lot of electronics home. I have few piles of receivers and amplifiers, I know thekid has a lot of stuff too. We like new vintage things like most of the people here but sometimes we overdo it! Rock n roll

luvtolisten
07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
We have a lot of electronics home. I have few piles of receivers and amplifiers, I know thekid has a lot of stuff too. We like new vintage things like most of the people here but sometimes we overdo it! Rock n roll
No Way! Hey, all you need is a pathway to the bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom.:14:
I really enjoy (as wellas others I'm sure) the "finds", comments, and seeing all that neat stuff. Goes to show good audio doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg.

dakatabg
07-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I enjoy it too, thats why I made this thread and I keep it updated.

Mr Peabody
07-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Midas touch indeed, to get a Dynaco in mint condition...... It's like the perverbial only drove it on Sunday to church and occasionally to the store :)

dakatabg
07-19-2010, 06:17 PM
I am like that, I see a good deal and I get it.

poppachubby
07-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Right on dak!! Enjoy the amp!!

dakatabg
07-19-2010, 07:02 PM
O yes, since the electric guy told me it is good to run, I feel good now and I enjoy the sound of it a lot. I wasn't much into the tube amplifier but now I am.

thekid
07-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Congrats! What a good day! You & the Kid must have the Midas Touch!

Need to work on my "touch" as I would love to score some tube gear like Daks just got. I don't even see it come on CL down in my area. Would love to hear what my Klipsch sound like on tubes.....

dakatabg
07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Since we were talking about piles of electronics i took some pictures of few of the stuff I have home:

As you can see I found another site that have the option of the picture size which is good, now they are smaller.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7531/img0876r.jpg (http://img293.imageshack.us/i/img0876r.jpg/)

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5645/img0880tn.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/img0880tn.jpg/)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9779/img0877cy.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/img0877cy.jpg/)

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/954/img0878bp.jpg (http://img685.imageshack.us/i/img0878bp.jpg/)

http://i26.tinypic.com/2s0ij55.jpg

luvtolisten
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Nice!! I especially like the 3rd and 4th pictures. I know I'm dating myself, but that's the stuff I used to go to the audio stores and drool over.:cool:

But I know your holding back on us! I'm sure you have more speakers to go with some of those amps. C'mon,Give!!

luvtolisten
07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Need to work on my "touch" as I would love to score some tube gear like Daks just got. I don't even see it come on CL down in my area. Would love to hear what my Klipsch sound like on tubes.....

Man, you could not buy another thing and still be miles ahead of the rest of us!
Once in a blue moon I'll see some tube gear here, but the price is high. I think a lot of people in this town have discovered vintage, or maybe there was none to start with. The Goodwill stores. garage, and especially estate sales have dried up.
That deal Dak got is a once in a lifetime . Like the old guy who had a mint old car in his garage for years, and doesn't realize the full value.

dakatabg
07-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah there are more but I didn't feel like going to the storage : )

luvtolisten
07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Yeah there are more but I didn't feel like going to the storage : )

I understand, I have about 30 pair myself, but it's just too hot for that sort of thing right now. Maybe a good winter time thing to do.

frenchmon
07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
So what are your plans for all that vintage gear?

thekid
07-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Daks

Thanks for the pics!!
I showed them to my wife and now she has promised not to givem grief about all my gear in the garage....... :D

dakatabg
07-20-2010, 03:50 PM
So what are your plans for all that vintage gear?

Well the best stuff I keep for myself for my little collection plus i get everything on a super good deals so even if I decide to sell them one day I will get more than I have paid and with the time it is harder and harder to find good vintage pieces so the price will go up for sure. It is like a little investment :) ha ha

Ha ha thekid, I am glad I saved you some crying from the wife side.

Do you remember this picture from the last year I posted? I have the speakers in the storage but I have to check what I really have because some of the stuff I don't even remember.

Pioneer CS-R580 12" Woofers

Pioneer CS-G403 16" Woofers

Scott 315D 15" Woofers

http://i32.tinypic.com/2re5ira.jpg

dakatabg
07-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Daks

Thanks for the pics!!
I showed them to my wife and now she has promised not to givem grief about all my gear in the garage....... :D

Thekid, did you see the second picture with the Kenwood power amps and at the top the preamps for each amp? You must like that since you are a big Kenwood fan!

Feanor
07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Since we were talking about piles of electronics i took some pictures of few of the stuff I have home:

As you can see I found another site that have the option of the picture size which is good, now they are smaller.

[/URL]
[URL="http://img189.imageshack.us/i/img0880tn.jpg/"] (http://img293.imageshack.us/i/img0876r.jpg/)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9779/img0877cy.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/img0877cy.jpg/)

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/954/img0878bp.jpg (http://img685.imageshack.us/i/img0878bp.jpg/)

Great stuff! I, of course, am particularly fond of the "silver" stuff from the '70s.

dakatabg
07-20-2010, 05:52 PM
That is the first thing that the people look at when they come home, the silver faced receivers and amplifier. Everyone who likes vintage electronics likes the silver stuff. It is a lot of money though

thekid
07-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Latest pick-up is a Dynaco ST-80 solid state amp from the late 60's. cosmetically it is in great condition but soundwise it has some issues. Not sure if is worth fixing up though I have read that with some modifications it can be a pretty solid performer.

dakatabg
07-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Great find Thekid, now we have to get together and compare Dynaco sounds with you :)

What is the problem with the amp? No sound or ..., it look nice

poppachubby
07-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Latest pick-up is a Dynaco ST-80 solid state amp from the late 60's. cosmetically it is in great condition but soundwise it has some issues. Not sure if is worth fixing up though I have read that with some modifications it can be a pretty solid performer.

Nice. Just to be aesthetically different, I would fix it up. What's the prob?

thekid
07-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Nice. Just to be aesthetically different, I would fix it up. What's the prob?

Pops-Daks

Thanks guys the pic really does not do it justice as the bottom is a really nice chrome. Almost mint condition.

Soundwise it just has a little distortion in it. Not too noticable on instrumental but its there on vocals. The caps look like they are in great shape so I am wondering if it is a transistor or something fairly minor. There are supposedly mods to it that some put it in McIntosh territory. Debating whether to put money towards a mod here or getting an Adcom amp because I really do like my recently rehabbed Adcom pre-amp and think that a complete Adcom set up would be sweet.

JoeE SP9
07-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure how much experience you have with Adcom power amplifiers. At one time or another I've heard or used most of them. Many people myself included think the 545, 5400 series are the sweet spot in the line. IME they have a sweeter sound than the 555, 5500 series. The extra muscle the 555 etc have shows itself in effortless bass. The mids and highs just don't seem as sweet as the 545 series. The 535, 5300 series sound to me like the little engine that could. They don't have enough oomph! They give all they've got and it sounds like it.
The going rate for 545, 5400 amps is around $200. IMO you could do a lot worse with $200.

Of course you could do what I've done. I mentioned a while back I had bought a Crown XLS202 on someones recommendation. Well, I sold it for a $10 loss and bought a XLS402, 300WPC@ 8 Ohms for $199 including shipping. So actual cost to me is $209. I liked the 202 a lot. I was using it only for my subs. So when I had a chance to go for the bigger brother I took it.
I liked the bass the 202 was giving. I'm expecting the 402 to sound more effortless (I hope).

Mr Peabody
07-23-2010, 07:33 PM
If the Dynaco approaches Mac then that is the way to go. Adcom is pretty good but not Mac good. In Adcom I had the 5400 and sold it after picking up the 5500. Not only did the 5500 have more power it sounded much better, the highs were smoother and more refined. I think I remember talking about this already.... any way for me the 5500 was my sweet spot in the line. I haven't heard the older 545/555 but they are supposed to be truer to Passes original design.

dakatabg
07-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Thekid, here you can read all the specs, schematic and parts for the amp you just got so if you discover what is burned you can see the part

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/ST80/

Mr Peabody
07-23-2010, 08:33 PM
That's interesting how the power drops as the impedance gets lower.

thekid
07-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Warning.... long post.....

Daks-Thanks for the link I have been there already as there does not seem to be much info on this amp. I think in part because of its age and in part because the pre-amps that these was often matched to were horrible based on the general consensus. My guess is that alot of people blamed the short comings of the pre-amp on the amp.

Mr.P/JoeE- Glad to hear your opinions of the Adcom amps.... it now makes my decision process even tougher... :D

The 500 series is generally considered to be better than the 5000 series and I think would be the way to go since I already have the GFP-555 pre-amp and GFT-555 tuner. The GFA-555 is as JoeE mentioned the beast in that line up and usually goes for the biggest bucks, Stereophile magazine had a very favorable write up on it several years ago. The 535 or 535 II does not have the power of the 555 or 545 but is considered by many to be the better amp. I am still kicking myself that I did not jump on one E-bay that had a Buy Now price of only $100. They seem to be selling on E-Bay in the $125-$150 range plus shipping. My guess is that if I have the mod done to to the Dynaco it will probably be in the same range so you can see where I am torn. I am leaning towards the Dynaco for the simple reason that if I have that re-built now it should be good for some time to come. I could buy an Adcom blind and turn around a few years later and have to sink money into it. There is also a better chance of stumbling on a "deal" for a Adcom amp as compared to finding a modified Dynaco. Perhaps a little patience and things will all come together.

Mr P. you had mentioned to me in a thread somewhere you though that an Adcom set-up would be comparable to my Kenwood Basic set-up. This little experiment with the Dynaco gave me some insight to that idea. I tried the Dynaco with both the GFP-555 and the Kenwood C2 just to see if that might have been the issue with the distortion which it was not. Since I had things broken down I ran the GFP-555 with the Kenwood M1A amp. The sound was very similar to the Kenwood M1A/C2 combo. Previously I was running an Onkyo M-5000 amp with the Adcom pre and found the sound to be very detailed and open. Not so with the M1A which seemed a little muffled and a bit lacking on the low end. I am going to hook the Onkyo up to the C2 to see how that sounds but I think it is going to show me that at least the pre-amps might be similar.

Mr Peabody
07-24-2010, 05:17 AM
The Onkyo must be a pretty good amp. When you said the M1 lacked in bass do you mean amount or just detail? Kenwood never really seemed to embrace high current but their amps usually seemed to have ample bass, they do have sort of a murky quality to it though.

thekid
07-24-2010, 06:02 AM
The Onkyo must be a pretty good amp. When you said the M1 lacked in bass do you mean amount or just detail? Kenwood never really seemed to embrace high current but their amps usually seemed to have ample bass, they do have sort of a murky quality to it though.

Detail-murky is a good word.
I don't think the Onkyo is anything special-at least in pedigree. I think it came from a rack system that Onkyo was selling in the early 90's. I was using it as an extra amp in my HT set-up before I decided to trim things down.

I really am getting to the point where I want to get it down to 2 or 3 really good systems. so that means fixing up some things and letting others go. Just too much stuff!!

poppachubby
07-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Detail-murky is a good word.
I don't think the Onkyo is anything special-at least in pedigree. I think it came from a rack system that Onkyo was selling in the early 90's. I was using it as an extra amp in my HT set-up before I decided to trim things down.

I really am getting to the point where I want to get it down to 2 or 3 really good systems. so that means fixing up some things and letting others go. Just too much stuff!!

Less is more. The stuff you sell, use the cash to make sure everything you have is running top notch.

dakatabg
07-24-2010, 08:41 AM

I use my M1 with G-1100 equalizer and I get a lot of bass. If you want bass Marantz is for that, they have so much bass that you can hear the cabinets in the kitchen shaking

thekid
07-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Less is more. The stuff you sell, use the cash to make sure everything you have is running top notch.

That's the plan. The audio shop I found up where my daughter goes to school does great work, is fast, affordable and best of all only $20 for a diagnostic fee which goes towards the purchase price. The places down where I live charge $65 for a diagnostic fee and don't ever seem to be in a hurry to get gear back to you.

poppachubby
07-24-2010, 04:14 PM
That's the plan. The audio shop I found up where my daugter goes to scholl does great work, is fast, affordable and best of all only $20 for a diagnostic fee which goes towards the purchase price. The places down where I live charge $65 for a diagnostic fee and don't ever seem to be in a hurry to get gear back to you.

I have never seen a shop with such a small bench fee. For a reputable shop, $75 is average here. CDN funds.

dakatabg
07-24-2010, 07:38 PM
I got this receiver few days ago but I haven't had much time to post it here. Near mint Sherwood S-7600 made in the mid 60's. I did a google search and it says it is one of the first transistor receivers all-silicone. Very nice receiver and it sounds pretty good.

http://i30.tinypic.com/xbcrv5.jpg

Mr Peabody
07-24-2010, 08:03 PM
It would be interesting to see what Sherwood sounded like back then.

dakatabg
07-24-2010, 08:37 PM
It would be interesting to see what Sherwood sounded like back then.

there is no way I can describe the sound but it sounds pretty good to me. They used to make tube amps at that time and Sherwood has some of the S series with tubes.

dakatabg
07-25-2010, 11:45 AM
I just picked MIT Terminator 4 cables. A guy gave me them for free and I see they go for a lot online!

Mr Peabody
07-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Dak, that's awesome. If you don't want them I'll take them. Are they speaker cables or interconnects? I hope you do some experimenting with them to see if you hear any differences.

dakatabg
07-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Right now I am not home but tomorrow once I wake up, I have the day off so I will take a picture and post it here. I will experiment to see if there is any difference. I will keep you updated.

They are interconnects and they have something like boxes at each end, I have no idea what those boxes are for.

dakatabg
07-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Here are few pictures of the MIT Terminator 4 cables.

I feel some difference, it seems that the sounds is more full and clear. Does anyone know what those boxes are for at the ends?

http://i32.tinypic.com/10modfk.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/4kbeid.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/343qgew.jpg

Mr Peabody
07-26-2010, 01:54 PM
The "boxes" are networks, and the cables are directional, it's critical they go into place the right direction. If they are the same as Transparent the networks go away from the source. For instance, if putting them between a CD player and receiver, the networks go closest to the receiver. Check the cable to see if any arrows are provided, the arrow should point the way the signal flows.

Any difference will depend on how much resolution the gear has, like the 9090 will show it better than the Technics.

dakatabg
07-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I just noticed they have the arrows for the signal flows and of course I had it put the opposite way so I switched them.

luvtolisten
07-26-2010, 02:44 PM
I wonder if maybe they contain Ferrite beads inside? Just curious for what type of network and what it does.

Mr Peabody
07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
I haven't read the MIT website but I have Transparent, Transparent was started by former MIT employees. The theory behind the network is to zero out the "antenna effect" of various lengths of cable. I'm not sure what is in the network. Thankfully when Transparent came out with the new line some years back the networks were quite a bit smaller.

Dak, notice any difference when switching the cables around? The arrow goes toward the amp or receiver.