New Finds [Archive] - Page 4 - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Finds

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Mr Peabody
03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
That SX-n50 series Pioneer must be good it seems to bring good prices on the used market, $20.00. is a good deal.

thekid
03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Thekid, that receiver is very well regarded, the Fisher tube receivers are very nice. I hope you get that puppy going

I will be bringing the Fisher home tomorrow!!
Will need to see the complete rundown that was done but I know the tube sockets were replaced, bias set and the tape switch replaced. Tech indicated it appears to be in very good shape inside.

Unfortunately I leave on a business trip on Sunday and will not get to spend much time with it. Looking forward to hooking it up to the Heresy II's! :6:

thekid
03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Found these little gems on CL. Tangent were an attempt by Klipsch to mass market some of their speakers. Many of the Tangent are slightly modified versions of higher end Klipsch models. My rationale for getting these (besides the price) was that the K-77 tweeter in them is the same as the tweeter used in my Heresy II's. If I ever need to replace one in my Heresy's I am set.

Currently I use a pair of Heresy I's as the front speakers in my main HT so I have decided to use these as the rear surrounds because I think they are sonically closer to the Heresy's than the Klipsch KM2's I had in place.

This model is the T10 with walnut sides. The grills have a few issues but being all black they are not significant and not visible unless you get real close. Soundwise they are very good and I think will make excellent surrounds. High WAF rating with the walnut cabinet.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/tangent-10-overview/

badhabit67
03-11-2011, 03:28 PM
WOW,nice. I had some Tangents for awhile,they were the 400's they did a good job,little shy on bass for me,but they were real good other wise. Nice pick-up..

Mr Peabody
03-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Well Kid welcome to the world of valves. Looking forward to hearing your report.

dakatabg
03-11-2011, 06:58 PM
The fisher will be a great combo with the speakers. Hopefully the wife won't be mad for the new addition.

badhabit67
03-12-2011, 09:02 AM
OH,by George I think I've got it:

Kid. this is for you pic of my invisible SX-650.

badhabit67
03-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Alright Now, I can catch up;

Here's another one I grabed back at the end of Jan. Nice sounding Yamaha R-1000.

Nice power,100 wpc,and did a good job with my Tangent 400's,they sounded good togather.:21:

Dual-500
03-12-2011, 10:50 AM
OH,by George I think I've got it:

Kid. this is for you pic of my invisible SX-650.
Very nice.

02audionoob
03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I picked up a Luxman K-112 cassette deck, yesterday. I haven't figured out where to put it. I don't want it on top of my DAC and phono preamp, so I think I'll make another shelf for this IKEA unit.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5524475507_cd769bf9f3_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5017/5525334146_1a35bdc071_z.jpg

...added a clearer photo.

dakatabg
03-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Very nice, seem that everyone is on a roll for new things this week! Hopefully more in future ;)

That is a very nice luxman! Is it 3 head?

02audionoob
03-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Very nice, seem that everyone is on a roll for new things this week! Hopefully more in future ;)

That is a very nice luxman! Is it 3 head?

It is indeed a 3-head. It has some pretty impressive specs, so I need to find me some quality blank tape to try it out. So far, all I have are pre-recorded tapes picked up from the used books store.

badhabit67
03-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Nice looking cassette deck,have you got to try it out yet?

02audionoob
03-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I played some pre-recorded tapes on it. They sound very nice for tape, but obviously a step down from the turntable and CD player.

badhabit67
03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Hey look what my wife snagged for me Sunday. I think I'll let her do all my gear shopping now.:biggrin5:

dakatabg
03-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Looks great, where did she get it from?

badhabit67
03-15-2011, 01:23 PM
She said she got it at a indoor flea market,down around Bloomington,In.

02audionoob
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
And all the lights work. Impressive. You have a swell wife.

AudioTedII
03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Hi ALL!
I just got a hold of a pair of Sherwood s-8500 Floor Speakers, yes speakers, not a receiver of the same name! I can't find out anything about these speakers. Were they any good in the day? Are they of any value today? Or are they just 2 pieces of fake firewood?
Thanks, Ted

badhabit67
03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Welcome to AR.
I knew Sherwood made a few speakers,but I can honestly say I have never seen any of them in person. Post some pic's of them,lets have a look see. I'll do some checking,see if I can find any info,if so I'll post it for ya.

AudioTedII
03-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi!
Just to some pix. Just found out that they are "Liquid Cooled".....KOool !
http://home.roadrunner.com/~TBiernacki/8500SherWs.jpg
http://home.roadrunner.com/~TBiernacki/8500SherWs1.jpg
http://home.roadrunner.com/~TBiernacki/8500SherWs2.jpg

luvtolisten
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
How do they sound? They look like nice cabinets, well made, like they have some girth to them.

badhabit67
03-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Audio Ted II;
Sorry:
Not much luck finding info on these.Found one post on another forum about a different model,S-8200 about the same as yours. From the looks they were sold with a rack system, and not as separates. They look nice,so if you like what you hear,thats all that matters.

Mr Peabody
03-17-2011, 05:26 AM
I agree if you like them and they work might as well use them for something. The truth is though speakers sold with rack systems, no matter the brand, were typically cheezy.

badhabit67
03-17-2011, 08:04 AM
I agree if you like them and they work might as well use them for something. The truth is though speakers sold with rack systems, no matter the brand, were typically cheezy.

That is so, correct................

luvtolisten
03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, I recapped and re-foamed my T930's (pic pg. 30). To be honest, I was a little disappointed. They just don't have the same warm BA sound as the A60's or the HD9's I own, which I thought they would only maybe better since they were made by BA and had a MSRP of$850/pr,a larger cabinet and a 10" woofer. Don't get me wrong they're not a bad sounding speaker, they are clear and accurate, okay but not great.To me they are a sterile sounding speaker. They do everything okay, but nothing great. The dynamics just aren't there. The drums are there, but they don't jump out at when called for. The bass is there, but not very low as I would have expected for a 10" woofer. In fact the HD9's with a 6.5 woofer and a 8 ' passive radiator, reaches lower notes. I don't know the correct audio term, but they don't have the fullness you'd expect from a speaker this size. For the size, it sounds a little thin. The mid-range is good, although bit forward for my taste. To summarize, it's not a bad speaker, but not a great one either. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd probably rate it a 6.

AudioTedII
03-18-2011, 11:11 AM
I did a lot of snooping around to find out more about them, found nothing. I haven't listened to them yet, because of what it'll take to get them upstairs to my stereo, and them hook them up! IF their value was based purely on there weight.....I'de be rolling in dough! But I think not!
THX ALL!
Ted

Mr Peabody
03-18-2011, 01:16 PM
I ran across your thread on AK while trying to see if I could find any info on your speakers. You've had those babies a few months. From what was posted, at one time Sherwood had made some decent speakers before the original company was sold and if they are as heavy as you say, yours may be a set of the decent ones. The only way to know for sure is to hook them up. Keep in mind the report the crossovers were garbage out of the gate.

badhabit67
03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey All
Had to go pick up somethings this morning, so I decided to swing by goodwill. Wasen't a whole lot to chose from. But this Sony, so I went ahead and got it. $2.50,gonna work perfect in my garage. This baby has a remote control,and that is gonna make life a lot easier.The way things are now,my receiver is up high,and I have to use a step ladder to turn it on and off. Hooked a pair of rabbit ears to it,and my test speakers,and it worked.
The remote control is gonna be so nice,not have to climb up,down to turn it up ,and down,on and off.:thumbsup:

dakatabg
03-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Today I pulled the trigger and got home with a Sansui 8080 receiver for dirty cheap. Yes, it is working just a missing audio muting button and few burned lights. Now I will have to clean it good, adjust the DC offset and bias and it will be ready to make company to her older brother 9090DB.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2chktx4.jpg

luvtolisten
03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Another nice pick up Dak! If you don't mind me asking, where do you get most of your finds? (Goodwill?, Craigslist? Estate Sales?)

Is it a complex procedure to adjust the bias output?

dakatabg
03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I do mostly craigslist but you have to hunt a lot to get something good. The good deals go in an hour. At the salvation army and goodwill everything has dried up and nothing good there, if there is something good, they ask a lot of money so no point to even go there!

For me it is easy to adjust the bias or DC offset. You just need a multimeter and the service manual. Very simple!

badhabit67
03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice receiver there Dak,a little rough around the edges,but should clean up nicely.
I've always liked that line up of Sansui.

badhabit67
03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Well, I recapped and re-foamed my T930's (pic pg. 30). To be honest, I was a little disappointed. They just don't have the same warm BA sound as the A60's or the HD9's I own, which I thought they would only maybe better since they were made by BA and had a MSRP of$850/pr,a larger cabinet and a 10" woofer. Don't get me wrong they're not a bad sounding speaker, they are clear and accurate, okay but not great.To me they are a sterile sounding speaker. They do everything okay, but nothing great. The dynamics just aren't there. The drums are there, but they don't jump out at when called for. The bass is there, but not very low as I would have expected for a 10" woofer. In fact the HD9's with a 6.5 woofer and a 8 ' passive radiator, reaches lower notes. I don't know the correct audio term, but they don't have the fullness you'd expect from a speaker this size. For the size, it sounds a little thin. The mid-range is good, although bit forward for my taste. To summarize, it's not a bad speaker, but not a great one either. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd probably rate it a 6.

I know what you mean,I had A-60 series II,and never really got to like them.Not enough low end,and too bright up top. Also tried a pair of A-200's,and found them lacking also,they get a lot of hype,but they were not my cup of tea.

luvtolisten
03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I do mostly craigslist but you have to hunt a lot to get something good. The good deals go in an hour. At the salvation army and goodwill everything has dried up and nothing good there, if there is something good, they ask a lot of money so no point to even go there!

For me it is easy to adjust the bias or DC offset. You just need a multimeter and the service manual. Very simple!

Thanks Dak. It's about the same here in upstate NY. Goodwill & Salvation Army stores have about dried up here too, and what they do have (and that includes the non quality stuff) seems to be on the high side. In fact I see Goodwill sells on ebay now. It's the same with Craigslist, prices are high, anything old, good or junk is listed as 'vintage" and starts off with a high price. And as you say the good deals are gone in an hour. Sunday, a pair of Klipsch Hersey's were for sale for $200. They were 35 miles away from me, far out in the country. The add also said they had water damage from 10 years ago, but still sound fine. I've heard to stay away from speakers with water damage, (changes the hardness of the wood, which affects performance) but yet I was still thinking about them (they usually go for $400 around here).But when I checked back a couple hours later, the listing was gone.Someone must have jumped on them

luvtolisten
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I know what you mean,I had A-60 series II,and never really got to like them.Not enough low end,and too bright up top. Also tried a pair of A-200's,and found them lacking also,they get a lot of hype,but they were not my cup of tea.

Funny you mentioned them bh67, I was about to re-post about T930. I was a bit hasty in my thoughts about them. I never really was a big believer in letting surrounds break in, but in this case I do. (First time I used these particular surrounds, made specifically for these BA speakers. I can physically see the woofer moving more now, and now there is more bass as well.They have a more BA sound to them. Much better bass than the A-60's,(no contest) and just as low now as the HD9's but more controlled and smoother. With the woofer sounding better, and filling in the lower end of the Mid's, they don't seem quite a bright as before either, though still a bit bright for my own taste, but not irritating bright.So I would rate these on scale from 1 to 10 , changing them from a 6 to a 7.7, but that's my own personal taste, since they have a warmer sound to them now. I can't compare them to the A -200 's or A-150's since I've never heard either one.

badhabit67
03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
ltl:

Alot of folks told me I didn't give them a fair chance,but I consider 6 months plenty of time.
Finally sold both. I've got Epi's,KLH,and Advents-ola's,and have given a listen to a lot of others,just could not get my ears to like the Boston's sound. Everytime I listened to em,than went to something else,just knew it was time for them to go. And there is a lot of debate over new surrounds break-in period,but like you the longer I listened to my Advents after refoam,seemed to get lower and deeper bass. Maybe just my tired old ears.

Mr Peabody
03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Congrats on the 8080.

Just my opinion the last time I heard any Boston Acoustic I listened to them against some Paradigm and Snell. The Paradigm made the Boston sound like mush and the Snell was superior to both. It wouldn't take much with speakers on the market today to better a Boston.

luvtolisten
03-22-2011, 04:29 PM
ltl:

Alot of folks told me I didn't give them a fair chance,but I consider 6 months plenty of time.
Finally sold both. I've got Epi's,KLH,and Advents-ola's,and have given a listen to a lot of others,just could not get my ears to like the Boston's sound. Everytime I listened to em,than went to something else,just knew it was time for them to go. And there is a lot of debate over new surrounds break-in period,but like you the longer I listened to my Advents after refoam,seemed to get lower and deeper bass. Maybe just my tired old ears.

bh, surprised you don't like the BA's. I also have EPI's (100's,201's) Epicure 5's (same thing as 100's only the woofer and tweeter are closer together) and Baby Advents (wish I did have the good ones you do), but the Babys are "okay" but not like yours. Never owned them, but I have a friend who has them double stacked and I do like their sound. I have been keeping an eye out for some KLH's. I had a chance last year for some at a garage sale, but it was too hot and I was too lazy:smilewinkgrin: to drag them home.But seems like you do like the "New England " sound which BA is considered a part of.
But your right, if you didn't like them after 6 months, you probably still wouldn't like then after 6 years.:D
By the way, I have tired old ears too. But I'm betting yours are just fine, you just know what you like.
But it sure is nice to be able to buy this stuff now at bargain prices (used) that I used to drool over in my younger years.

badhabit67
03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
luvtolisten;

I don't know about the east coast sound deal,never really got into all that.
All I know is if a pair of speakers have a good bottom end,and don't screem at me,
than I like them. The whole east-west coast sound,don't really know about it. Don't really
care.I don't care were they are built as long as they sound good.
Here's a pic of my OLA'S.

luvtolisten
03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
luvtolisten;

I don't know about the east coast sound deal,never really got into all that.
All I know is if a pair of speakers have a good bottom end,and don't screem at me,
than I like them. The whole east-west coast sound,don't really know about it. Don't really
care.I don't care were they are built as long as they sound good.
Here's a pic of my OLA'S.
Nice picture! The cabinets look mint! I recognize the fried egg tweeter. Those are getting harder and harder to find. Especially in that great shape.

thekid
03-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Daks-Nice find on the Sansui! Sansui from that era are speacial.

BH-Great pic of the OLA. I miss mine but I had to thin the herd. Stereophile did a write up on them last year I think and the writer was very impressed with a pair he re-foamed.

badhabit67
03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks Kid.

Got to admit I never put a lot ot stock in a break-in period for surrounds.
Until I refoamed these.Seems like the more hours I put on them,the better they sound.
Again, it may just be me. I'm trying to find a real nice pair of bullnosed cabinets to stack with these,this pair is the utility cabinet.There in great shape though.

Enochrome
03-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey Dakatabg,

Are you selling a Luxman R-1070 on Ebay? Looks like you are from Chicago and this seller is from Southern California. The only reason I ask is because they are using your picture from your gallery of your R-1070.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350450835231&category=14981&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_4248wt_1141

dakatabg
03-27-2011, 04:20 PM
No that is not me

thekid
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I have been looking to replace a cabinet I was using for some audio gear for awhile. I came across this piece listed on CL for $25. Originally the gear was an after thought but I was hoping it might have a decent tube amp in it but that was not the case. Anyway it is a Pilot Console circa 1968. The receiver and Garrard turntable are in excellent shape as is the cabinet. The other really cool thing was that it came with the original owner's manual, schematics, brochure and even the original receipt which is date April 6th 1968. So tomorrow is the 43rd anniversary of when this console was sold.

The tuner section is okay but I went ahead and have my Kenwood KT-8300 hooked up to the AUX inputs and it sounds quite nice. Have no idea who made the receiver and the owner's manual has no specs. It seems to drive the speakers with it quite easily and the speakers themselves are not too bad though I have no idea who made them. All in all a nice little addition.

luvtolisten
04-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Nice addition kid! I have an old Magnavox console myself. Love that retro look about them. Yours looks in excellent condition.

Mr Peabody
04-06-2011, 04:56 PM
1968..... that's the way to build quality gear.

thekid
04-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Nice addition kid! I have an old Magnavox console myself. Love that retro look about them. Yours looks in excellent condition.

Here is some additional pics. Searching around the net I was able to find some more info. Pilot Radio was bought up by Emerson in 65 but continued to market Hi-Fi gear under the Pilot name. No telling who they had building their stereo's but this unit would be dated post-Emerson take over. Also I looked up the EIA codes on the speakers. It looks like the woofer is manufactured by Becker Electronics and the tweeter is CTS. I know nothing about Becker but CTS had a decent reputation on the mids and tweeters.

Mr Peabody
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
If it's the same company Becker used to be the brand in some German auto imports.

thekid
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
If it's the same company Becker used to be the brand in some German auto imports.
Not sure it is the same. I found references to drivers made by Becker Electronics in Long Island NY. The console was made in NY as well so it makes sense they may have done business with each other.

luvtolisten
04-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Becker sounds familiar. Seems like there was more than one. One did make auto speakers for Mercedes Benz. But I think yours were probably made by Sonotone (designed by Fred Becker) in the USA. Here's some info I found:

http://www.roger-russell.com/sonopg/sonos.htm

thekid
04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Becker sounds familiar. Seems like there was more than one. One did make auto speakers for Mercedes Benz. But I think yours were probably made by Sonotone (designed by Fred Becker) in the USA. Here's some info I found:

http://www.roger-russell.com/sonopg/sonos.htm

LTL

I think you solved the mystery. The dates on those Becker driver correspond to the dates on the EIA code (1966). I continue to debate what do with the gear inside. The speakers are not too bad for near-field listening. Gutting the other gear would allow me to put some higher quality vintage gear that I have inside but in a way they can be used easily.

luvtolisten
04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
LTL

I think you solved the mystery. The dates on those Becker driver correspond to the dates in the EIA code (1966). Icontinue to debate what do with the gear inside. The speakers are not too bad for near-field listening. Gutting the other gear would allow me to put some higher quality vintage gear that I have inside but in away they can be used easily.
Glad I could help.
If I were in your shoes I'd do the same thing (gut it). Pilot was okay, but nothing I'd call special, at least not in the same class as the vintage stuff you own. It would give you a home for that vintage stuff you own, and you'd be more likely to use it more often.

thekid
04-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Glad I could help.
If I were in your shoes I'd do the same thing (gut it). Pilot was okay, but nothing I'd call special, at least not in the same class as the vintage stuff you own. It would give you a home for that vintage stuff you own, and you'd be more likely to use it more often.

LtL

I think you have talked me into it. I will see if I can get into this weekend. I am in the middle of refinishing a couple of pairs of speakers anf this project will be next. I think the speakers are pretty good and could be even better with a source upgrade.

thekid
04-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Okay so I was feeling inspired tonight/this morning and went at gutting the console to add my own gear.

Put in my Kenwood KA-8100/KT-8300 combo. Will add a CD player later. Could not figure out how to make use of the original speakers so added my KEF's on top. Like the sound but they are a little too big for the console top.

luvtolisten
04-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Looks good Kid! The silver faced components are an excellent match for the console, looks like an original stock item. As far as speakers go, I'm sure you'll find a good match. Don't know how much room you have, but you could maybe remove the orignal speakers and and find something that would fit behind the original grills on the console..perhaps an open baffle speaker. But still, it looks great as is:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dual-500
04-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Okay so I was feeling inspired tonight/this morning and went at gutting the console to add my own gear.

Put in my Kenwood KA-8100/KT-8300 combo. Will add a CD player later. Could not figure out how to make use of the original speakers so added my KEF's on top. Like the sound but they are a little too big for the console top.
I like the look too - very nice. Could have some heat problems as tight as it's tucked in there. A small fan or two in the rear of console will cure that.

:thumbsup:

thekid
04-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Well guys you know me it does not take me long to before I am finding something.
I stopped by a church yard sale this morning and a Paradigm Center channel caught my eye. Asked about the price and it turns out that the CC was included with 4 AR "The Edge" bookshelf speakers and an AR S112PS powered subwoofer. They wanted $25 for everything so I took the plunge. I know AR is not the company they used to be but for around $5 a speaker I thought what the heck. The Paradigm is worth at least that I figure even though it only says Monitor Series on it. Can't find a model number anywhere so perhaps this was part of a HTIB combo.

Anyway I have hooked the AR's up and put them on the top of the console. So far I am very impressed with their sound. These might just do the trick for nearfield listening. I have not hooked the sub or the center channel up yet but have hopes they will be alright. For the money paid I think I can sell 2 of the AR speakers and at least break even on my $25.

BTW- I added my Denon-1500 CD player to the bottom shelf below the amp. Put some Windham Hill on and chilling while I type to some very nice sounds. :thumbsup:

LTL- Thanks for the praise. Your encouragement made this happen.

Dual- Thanks as well. I don't think there will be any heat issues. The top piece is the tuner and it does not need to be vented. The amp has a good 4" of clearance from the shelf above it and the back is open so everything breathes real well.

luvtolisten
04-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I Like!:thumbsup: Nice find, now you have good looks and good sound.You got a good deal. especially for the Paradigm (I can't remember hearing a negative comment about that company).

thekid
04-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I have been able to ID the Paradigm as a Paradigm Cinema 110. Watching the O's hopefully sweep the Rangers before I set it up.

badhabit67
04-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi All;

Been away for alittle while,catching up on all the happenings.
Nice grab on the console Kid. Real nice looker. I really like how you incorporated your
Kenwood gear into the console,that looks really good.

See the wife must have accepted it,with all the glass ware on top of it.

Nice Job...

thekid
04-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi All;

Been away for alittle while,catching up on all the happenings.
Nice grab on the console Kid. Real nice looker. I really like how you incorporated your
Kenwood gear into the console,that looks really good.

See the wife must have accepted it,with all the glass ware on top of it.

Nice Job...

BH

Thanks. Yeah I had to convince her about buying it in the first place but once I got it home she loved it. Had no real idea on the interior dimensions but as it worked out I could not have planned it any better. Already have a buyer for the receiver and turntable so I am going to actually have a net profit on buying the console and the gear pile gets a little smaller. Win-Win all the way around.

badhabit67
04-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Hey All.

Yesterday morning I was on my normal hunt of the goodwill store. Searched,to no avail.
As I was leaving,there was a couple parked next to me,trying to unload some chairs.

So I went over and offered to help,and wound up helping to unload there whole truck.
They had quite a bit of stuff. After we were done,the ladies husband,said there was
a few more things in the cab,and he would get them. He offered to pay me for helping
and I told him no thanks.
So I went to my truck and was pulling out,he stops me,says theres an old radio I can
have it if interested in it. Naturally I said ok. Sometimes helping others does pay off!!
A pic of the old radio:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/5621042791_3ccf9df1bb_z.jpg

Feanor
04-16-2011, 04:46 AM
Hey All.

Yesterday morning I was on my normal hunt of the goodwill store. Searched,to no avail.
As I was leaving,there was a couple parked next to me,trying to unload some chairs.

So I went over and offered to help,and wound up helping to unload there whole truck.
They had quite a bit of stuff. After we were done,the ladies husband,said there was
a few more things in the cab,and he would get them. He offered to pay me for helping
and I told him no thanks.
So I went to my truck and was pulling out,he stops me,says theres an old radio I can
have it if interested in it. Naturally I said ok. Sometimes helping others does pay off!!
A pic of the old radio:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/5621042791_3ccf9df1bb_z.jpg
So ... it's a Kenwood???

Whatever, nice find, BH :thumbsup:

badhabit67
04-16-2011, 06:08 AM
Yes, its a KR-4600 in near mint condition,has one bad spot on the faceplate.
I've done no cleaning at all to this.Just the way they gave it to me.

Hooked it up and plays great. Everythimg works....

thekid
04-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Yes, its a KR-4600 in near mint condition,has one bad spot on the faceplate.
I've done no cleaning at all to this.Just the way they gave it to me.

Hooked it up and plays great. Everythimg works....

Great story with a great ending.
Doing the right thing is its own reward but sometimes there is a bonus attached.

The older Kenwood KR series is pretty good stuff.

Congratulations!
It looks great!

Charlie04SiR
04-17-2011, 09:40 AM
ok, let's try this again. Sorry I had messed up linking pictures in my previous post, and could not figure out how to delete them since the editing shows picure in HTML box. Anyways, long time no see, dak, kid, joe, and gang! I got my 2500 back from my tech after 10 months of restoring it. It was a 65 Lb doorstop when I got it. My tech had a hard time with it, as the big Marantzs are a bear to work on, I knew if anybody could fix it, he could. He is a veteran vintage tech, and he knows his way around these beasts. I got it home, touched up the cosmetics a little, installed my WC-124 case and it's on my rack now. The beast sounds so clean and clear, with ferocious bass and power. The bass is extremely tight and controlled, the mids are nice and clean, and the top end is brilliantly clear with no shrill or screaming.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/CharlieHorse1992/Picture451.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/CharlieHorse1992/Picture432.jpg

Feanor
04-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Totally stunning, Charlie. That's a rare and magnificant piece well worth restoring -- regardless of cost.

ok, let's try this again. Sorry I had messed up linking pictures in my previous post, and could not figure out how to delete them since the editing shows picure in HTML box. Anyways, long time no see, dak, kid, joe, and gang! I got my 2500 back from my tech after 10 months of restoring it. It was a 65 Lb doorstop when I got it. My tech had a hard time with it, as the big Marantzs are a bear to work on, I knew if anybody could fix it, he could. He is a veteran vintage tech, and he knows his way around these beasts. I got it home, touched up the cosmetics a little, installed my WC-124 case and it's on my rack now. The beast sounds so clean and clear, with ferocious bass and power. The bass is extremely tight and controlled, the mids are nice and clean, and the top end is brilliantly clear with no shrill or screaming.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/CharlieHorse1992/Picture432.jpg

thekid
04-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Charlie

Congratulations!!!
That is an awesome looking piece!!!
Based on your review it seems well worth the 10 month wait.
Makes me feel quilty for having my 2245 sitting on the sidelines.

dakatabg
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Wow we don't see these that often, a killer receiver.

Styx
04-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Here's my $50 classified find.

Klipsch Tangent 5000's
Klipsch KG 2.2's
Klipsch Theater

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1110500.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1110498.jpg

dakatabg
04-18-2011, 05:07 AM
wow for $50 that is more than a deal.

Styx
04-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Yeah, it was a great deal but I have no real use for them.....just couldn't pass them up. :shocked:

thekid
04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah, it was a great deal but I have no real use for them.....just couldn't pass them up. :shocked:

Styx

Glad to see you over here on AR as well.
Congrats again on the Tangent score.
Have you had anymore time listening to them?

Styx
04-19-2011, 05:14 AM
Styx

Glad to see you over here on AR as well.
Congrats again on the Tangent score.
Have you had anymore time listening to them?

Thanks. Yes I have and I like them much better than the Heresy II's I picked up this time last year. The Heresy's were in excellent shape but didn't do it for me....they were flat, unimpressive. Maybe they needed some of Bob Crites magic, I don't know but I wasn't willing to pony up the cash to find out. I paid $200 for them and sold them for $400 2 weeks later.

The T-5000's on the other hand, sound wonderful. They're not much to look at but they do sing. The jury's still out on the KG 2.2's.

luvtolisten
04-23-2011, 02:49 PM
]

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!
A good tech is like finding a good doctor, especially with vintage stuff.. Hang on to him! You owe him a case of beer, or a bottle of good wine.

luvtolisten
04-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks. Yes I have and I like them much better than the Heresy II's I picked up this time last year. The Heresy's were in excellent shape but didn't do it for me....they were flat, unimpressive. Maybe they needed some of Bob Crites magic, I don't know but I wasn't willing to pony up the cash to find out. I paid $200 for them and sold them for $400 2 weeks later.

The T-5000's on the other hand, sound wonderful. They're not much to look at but they do sing. The jury's still out on the KG 2.2's.

Great deal! I have the KG 2's,a better than decent speaker for their original price range.I would expect the same from the 2.2's.

thekid
04-23-2011, 04:54 PM
The jury's still out on the KG 2.2's.

I'm still willing to trade you something for the KG 2's.
I will be up in southern MD later this week......:ihih:

Styx
04-25-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm still willing to trade you something for the KG 2's.
I will be up in southern MD later this week......:ihih:

What did you have in mind? TheKid=Wolverine?

Styx
04-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Great deal! I have the KG 2's,a better than decent speaker for their original price range.I would expect the same from the 2.2's.

The 2.2's are very nice bookshelf speakers...pretty decent bass too.

thekid
04-25-2011, 02:25 PM
What did you have in mind? TheKid=Wolverine?

PM sent.

fabchef
04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
very nice tuner..i have the exact same one at home..i'm not using it right now. It works, and i just have to change the light in the channel VU meter..congrats!

thekid
05-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Decided to play around with the Pilot console a bit this morning and ended up reconnecting the original speakers to the Kenwood combo. Added a small subwoofer as well so it is a pretty good near field setup. With the original speakers back in use I cleared the AR's off the top and improve the WAF. Of course I will tell her I did it for Mother's Day....... :D

Charlie04SiR
05-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow, purty! You guys amaze me with the stuff you find!

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I am still enjoying the 2500 with my Model Sevens as I type this.

dakatabg
05-31-2011, 11:35 PM
My new additions

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qtxsgi.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/358vps4.jpg

thekid
06-01-2011, 01:37 AM
My new additions

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qtxsgi.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/358vps4.jpg

Some nice silver there Daks!
I think the the G series was Sansui's last hurrah before there gear began sliding down a bit in quality.

rak
06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Bonjour

je recherche (en France si possible) la minuterie "Fisher Audio Timer - TR 7000

si qq'un peut m'aider

d'avance je vous remercie

Feanor
06-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Bonjour

je recherche (en France si possible) la minuterie "Fisher Audio Timer - TR 7000

si qq'un peut m'aider

d'avance je vous remercie
Sorry that I can't speaker French well enough to respond in your language. However that Fisher manual might be available at this site; possibly the manual will only be available in English ...

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/fisher/tr-7000.shtml
It looks as though you will have to register at the site to download.

thekid
06-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Believe it or not I actually SOLD some gear this past weekend. I emptied out 3 sets of speakers and an amp.

However an opportunity came up when I spotted these early Polk Monitor 4's at a Salvation Army. Rosewood cabinets cleaned up well and all the drivers work perfectly including the Peerless tweeter. I have now set them up in a bedroom HT set-up using my Polk Monitor 10's as the fronts. Waaay to much speaker for a bedroom but ........ :14:

luvtolisten
06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Nice find Kid! I picked up a pair of Monitor 7b's with the Peerless tweeters too, although I already have a pair of Monitor 7's with the SL 2000 tweeters. But sometimes you just can't pass up a good deal, these guys are getting harder to find.

dakatabg
06-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Nice bookshelf speakers guys! Good brands!

luvtolisten
06-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I bought these about 2 weeks ago at a garage sale, for almost nothing. (Not my picture but a good representation). The cabinets were in good shape, very solid, but they were missing the orignal woofers (the owner had replaced them with full range car speakers). Don't know why, but I bought them anyway, maybe for parts or a just winter project. When I got home just for laughs I checked ebay and someone was selling the original woofers for $20, but they needed refoaming. So I bought them too, since I only spent $5 on the speakers. They arrived last week, I refoamed them and installed them. So far I spent about $35 on this project. I researched the 3000's a little on the net. Some people thought they were too bright, some thought they lacked bass, and some thought none of that was true and they were a very good speaker, the best value of the RS line and a keeper. Well I have only heard the tiny RS 1000, and these are definitely much better. They don't sound overly bright to me (and I'm one who really dislikes overly bright speakers) and there is plenty of bass, surprisingly good for an 8" woofer.So all in all I'm a happy camper!:2:

Mr Peabody
06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
I always thought the RS series was very good for the money. I could see maybe how some one might find them bright, I never did myself, but lack of bass I don't understand unless the person didn't have electronics to drive them.

dakatabg
06-25-2011, 07:54 AM
luvtolisten, very good bookshelf speakers. I had the the exact pair before. You have something into the infinity speakers

luvtolisten
06-26-2011, 07:53 AM
I always thought the RS series was very good for the money. I could see maybe how some one might find them bright, I never did myself, but lack of bass I don't understand unless the person didn't have electronics to drive them.

I agree on both counts. I have a Cambridge 640A which is 75 watts/channel. I did notice these are little more power hungry. I usually have the volume set at 10 o'clock for my other speakers, these guys I have to have set at 12 o'clock for the same volume..

luvtolisten
06-26-2011, 07:55 AM
luvtolisten, very good bookshelf speakers. I had the the exact pair before. You have something into the infinity speakers

Thanks Dak, I am enjoying them. I do have the smaller version (RS 1000) and the Beta 20's, but I like these the best.

thekid
07-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Well I have been letting more gear out the door than has been coming in but could not pass this deal up when I came across it at a local GW. I finally am back to having a SACD only player in the main system.

Cleaned the lens and then popped in a few discs from my meager SACD collection. Was very impressed with DSOTM. Seemed to bring out a little more detail than my DVD/SACD player that was in this system. Playing some Beethoven on it now and it is sounding very sweet.

Hoepfully you all we be able to the pic I am adding. Unfortunately all my pics still appear on this site as a little red x :cryin: (Mods are you listening????)

luvtolisten
07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Nice pick up kid! I don't have a SACD player myself, kind of wish I did, but none of the stores in my area carry SACD's.

I have the same problems as you with pictures, just a red X. I wish I could see your photo. It's all I see when I attach a photo, as well as when someone else posts one. Sure would be nice if they fixed that............ Although we can't see, I hope they can still hear.

thekid
07-21-2011, 03:02 PM
If this site would ever get its act together you would see that I was fortunate enough to pick-up a nice Klipsch KV3 center channel and SW8 II subwoofer with the Walnut cabinets. You would also see that the cabinets and grills are in near mint condition and the original boxes would be sitting behind them.

Perhaps you would even see a pic of my Heresy I's and II's that I am now using as the front and rears in this new HT set-up. It is also a great music set-up. The KV is not exactly from the same era as the Heresy speakers but then again it goes for far less than the Academy center channel.

However all you would see if I tried to post the pics is a big red X. Perhaps my computer virus protection no longer allows photos to post here because it is trying to protect me from the barrage of spam that seems to attack this site on a regular basis.

Perhaps you can close your eyes and picture the new speakers I described. If that is not working jab a couple of fingers in your eyes and you will see plenty of red X's................. :D

luvtolisten
07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I wish I could see them, Kid. The construction on this site reminds me of construction of a major roadway in my town. The original idea was a good one, easier access to all the businesses along side it. But by the time it was completed, most of those businesses had left. I home this site doesn't have the same fate with it's membership.

Enochrome
07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Kid,

I just picked up the same exact SACD player at a GW for $25.00. It replaced my old DVD/SACD (also Sony) as well. I thought it had more detail and air than the other. Also, it had more options for SACD palyback. This player kicks ass for such low cost, even when new. I heard replacing some of the caps with Auracaps is a recommended mod. I think 6 Moons Audio and Goodsounds websites have really good articles about how much they like this player and how much it blew away more expensive models once the mods were done.

Great score!!!!

insereors
07-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Just examined the topic great work goarticles com/article/Climber-com-Reviewed-A-great-service/4961759/]Climber com review

Glen B
08-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Recently acquired Marantz SR-19 5.1 receiver. Not vintage in the true sense, but a dinosaur as far as AVRs go. No HDMI, no component video, only composite. That's fine because I don't switch video through my AVR.

Output power is either 110 x 5 according to the owner's manual or 125W x 5 according to the service manual. An insignificant difference but annoying. Which is it Marantz ? Depth is 19 1/2 inches, which just barely fits in my HT stand, and weight is a hernia-inducing 49lbs. An interesting observation is that current similarly rated Marantz 7.1 receivers with their additional 2 channels average about 28lbs. This makes me wonder, what did the manufacturer cut from current models to reduce weight by half ?

The output sections are in a fan-cooled tunnel heatsink arrangement. The fan operates only when the unit is driven hard. A great feature that is very rare in AVRs is that the preamp and power amp sections are completely separate, and linked by jumpers. This makes the unit highly versatile for biamping, adding external processors or use as a preamp or 5-channel amp only.

The unit came with one-way output posts that accommodate bare wire or pins only. I replaced them with 5-way gold binding posts, which now accommodate my banana plugs. The sound is warm, smooth and musical, certainly an improvement over my Onkyo receiver.

Dual-500
08-08-2011, 11:22 AM
^^^ Chances are the Marantz will exceed either rating: 110w x 5 or 125w x 5 RMS @ 8 ohms - consider the 110w x 5 a more conservative rating.

I just picked up an Adcom GFA-6000 on eBay. It will be used to power my whole house system. It's rated at 3 x 100w & 2 x 60w. It puts out 130w x 3 & 80w x 2 into an 8 ohm resistive dummy load @ 1khz.

3.1 for the den using 1 x 100w to drive a Dayton 15" subwoofer, and 2 x 60w driving a pair of JBL S-38's for L&R, and the two remaining 100w channels driving a Russound (impedance balancing) speaker switch and 8 pairs of small bookshelf speakers throughout the house.

Weight savings would probably be in the power supply, smaller circuitry ala IC's, smaller output devices & heatsinks just because they can, cooling fan(s) and a smaller chassis to house all this.

Nice find BTW.

Glen B
08-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I was just wondering aloud on the weight difference. It takes a lot of cutting to shave 20+lbs.

Dual-500
08-08-2011, 03:25 PM
I was just wondering aloud on the weight difference. It takes a lot of cutting to shave 20+lbs.
Yes it does and in my opinion it's basically 20 labs less amp - or 20 lbs more amp in this case.

dakatabg
09-11-2011, 01:52 PM
It's been a long time since I haven't gotten anything new (too much stuff) but today I scored a great Denon amp with the remote control, manual book and in excellent condition! (not that vintage but a great amp)

http://i56.tinypic.com/30926ht.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/fusv9y.jpg

luvtolisten
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Nice amp Dak, I think you'll like it. I have the PMA 1520 and like it. I run my Polk SDA II's off it, and my EPI 201's. Some reviews say it sounds a bit bright, but I didn't find that to be true, not to my ears anyway. I've never had a problem with mine (knock on wood).

Tarheel_
09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
A great feature that is very rare in AVRs is that the preamp and power amp sections are completely separate, and linked by jumpers. This makes the unit highly versatile for biamping, adding external processors or use as a preamp or 5-channel amp only.

Thanks for this information....i just learned what the 'jumpers' are for. My old 1987 Technics receiver has jumpers from the pre-out to the Main-ins for 2 channels.

I guess this means the preamp and amp are separate inside?

Glen B
09-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for this information....i just learned what the 'jumpers' are for. My old 1987 Technics receiver has jumpers from the pre-out to the Main-ins for 2 channels.

I guess this means the preamp and amp are separate inside?

Yes, they're separate.

WalterS
09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Dustin off an old macintosh amp and pre-amp. Pics to follow

Dual-500
09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Nice.

lreinstein
09-30-2011, 06:12 PM
great shots

dingus
10-01-2011, 07:30 AM
got lucky the other day and found a pair of rare AR Connoisseur 40T's for cheap on craigslist. cabs need some attention but the components all seem to be in fine condition. i havent given them a real listen yet, but my expectations are fairly high.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z305/ST_dingus/MGC-1/40t/ar40t-grills.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z305/ST_dingus/MGC-1/40t/ar40t-1.jpg

dakatabg
10-01-2011, 07:31 AM
They look great, nice score there!

Dual-500
10-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Those outta sound great!

jjp735i
10-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Just picked up a pair of Microsonic MS-3 from Craigilst for free, the guy also gave a Awai Shelf system and Technics SL-B2 Turntable.

Haven't tried any of it yet, will probably give the turntable away, needs a belt.

Very limited information on the MS-3's, but they are heavy little buggers. Made in Twaiian and the cabinets are in very good shape. Was going to use them as B speakers on the other side of the room, just to add some fill.

Glen B
10-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Great. Looking forward to seeing them.

Glen B
10-05-2011, 01:47 PM
got lucky the other day and found a pair of rare AR Connoisseur 40T's for cheap on craigslist. cabs need some attention but the components all seem to be in fine condition. i havent given them a real listen yet, but my expectations are fairly high.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z305/ST_dingus/MGC-1/40t/ar40t-grills.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z305/ST_dingus/MGC-1/40t/ar40t-1.jpg

Nice score, and in real wood veneer too. :thumbsup:

dakatabg
10-09-2011, 09:49 AM
A guy from AK gave it to me for free!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2edr4ef.jpg

Glen B
10-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Here is Adcom's first amp, the 200W per channel GFA-1, from 1979 and barely 2/3 the size of a shoebox. This one is in fine working condition and sounds great DC offset measured an excellent 0.7mV and 0.8mV in the two channels. The fan is one of the quietest I've heard in a fan-cooled amp (actually inaudible, even at close range). There were some light rust spots just inside the front vents, and at the points where the panels come together. I removed the loose rust with emery paper and touched up the spots with silver and flat black paint accordingly. This baby will be used in my party system on the high/midrage cabs, replacing my flawless Phase Linear 400 II.

Dual-500
10-16-2011, 03:05 PM
^ Pictures aren't showing up for me.

Glen B
10-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Images were uploaded to AR. You should be able to see them. They're also here, off AR:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/GFA-1_01.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/GFA-1_02.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/GFA1-001.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/GFA1-003.jpg

Dual-500
10-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Can see 'em now. Looks a lot like a Carver Cube with forced air cooling.

Nice. :thumbsup:

Glen B
10-17-2011, 09:48 AM
What's interesting is that they were able to get a conventional 200 watt per channel class AB amp into such a small package, versus the Carver Cube, which is a magnetic field amp. Each channel of the GFA-1 is actually two 60 watt amps running in bridged mode.

Dual-500
10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
I've had good service from the Adcom's. Ran a GFA-2335 in my HT setup since 1996/1997. It's last 6 years of service have been powering the whole house system. The impedance was a little low, and I wanted to step it up in the den. So, I picked up another Adcom. This time an Adcom GFA-6000. I run the 2 x 100w (front) channels into a Russound Pro VC 8.1 speaker selector and impedance balancing bridge which handles the distribution to 6 pairs of small bookshelf speakers throughout the house and shop. The two 60w channels (rear) power a pair of JBL S-38's (above 120hz) that are hanging in the den, and the single 100w channel (center) powers a Dayton 15" HO 4 ohm subwoofer. A DBX DriveRack PA splits the signal from the mono subwoofer to the S-38's.

I used RTV and mounted a couple of 120mm 12v very quiet fans under the amp for cooling.

It works quite well. For just everyday TV, I don't power up the HT system at all - just use the Adcom powered whole house system.

GG1981
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
i just became the proud new owner of a JVC AL-A155 auto-return turntable system. It needs a new needle, although i'm told to replace catridge. I took out the only screw on the turntable arm and cannot get the cartridge off. Any suggestions? I don't want to break anything.

Thanks,

Gillian

michaelhigh
10-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Just scored Klipsch KG2's. Brilliant score, $100, mint as hell and great-sounding.

Glen B
10-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I replaced the spring loaded output terminals on the GFA-1 with some slim binding posts I had on hand. Its so much better now. It was about a 90-minute job to remove the old terminal strip, make up a new mounting plate for the new posts, install and wire them up. Part of that time included painting nickel plated screws for mounting the new plate a fast-drying flat black, and allowing them to dry to the touch.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/Adcom/GFA-1_02.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/Adcom/GFA-1_03.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/Adcom/GFA-1_04.jpg

Glen B
10-21-2011, 05:27 PM
My latest acquisition is this SAE-2300. Other than a small scratch on the left edge of the top cover, it is otherwise flawless. It has obviously been very well taken care of. DC offset in one channel measures an acceptable 4.5mV but the other measures 89.0mV, so I will be replacing the input differential transistors in the latter, which should hopefully resolve that issue.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_01.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_02.jpg

Dual-500
10-21-2011, 05:59 PM
^ Like that SAE stuff - high end for sure.

dakatabg
10-21-2011, 05:59 PM
That is a great amp, post some naked pics

Glen B
10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Nekkid pictures of the 2300 as requested.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_03.jpg

Beer cans:

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_04.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_05.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_06.jpg

dakatabg
10-22-2011, 10:01 PM
wow that is built like a tank

Glen B
10-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I had to remove about 39 screws to get the top and side covers off. That is typical of SAE amps, well held together but almost maddening to open up.

JoeE SP9
10-23-2011, 09:01 AM
What's with the high pass and regular inputs?

Feanor
10-23-2011, 09:16 AM
What's with the high pass and regular inputs?
I think you still find lots of pro amps that have low frequency filters.

Glen B
10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
The regular input is direct, while the high pass input inserts a 0.22uF cap, to provide a 6dB per octave rolloff below 20Hz.

frenchmon
10-23-2011, 03:53 PM
GlenB, Feanor, JoeE...I wish I knew the nuts and bolts of the gear we love....I guess I should give a shout out to E-Stat as well....you guys are great.

Dual-500
10-23-2011, 05:50 PM
The regular input is direct, while the high pass input inserts a 0.22uF cap, to provide a 6dB per octave rolloff below 20Hz.
The later model Phase Linear model 700's had similar circuitry on the inputs. They used one set of input jacks and a slider type switch which when closed shunted across the input coupling capacitors.

It was called a decoupling switch or something close to that. The purpose was to decouple the amp from any potential input DC offset which the amp would pass on to the load as they were a direct coupled design and could amplify DC.

Glen B
10-23-2011, 05:57 PM
There have been a number of different home audio brands of amps over the years with a similar feature. Nikko amps in particular had "direct" and "normal" input options. Direct meaning cap out of circuit, and normal meaning cap in circuit. Some Nikko models had a slider switch that selected between the two options, while others had separate inputs like in the SAE amps. The Nikkos were direct coupled amps, and had electronic DC protection, so the purpose of the caps was to limit frequencies in the infrasonic range, like in the SAE amps. The SAE 2300 has 100uF caps going into the input differentials, so these will block DC, but still provide frequency response down to about 5Hz. As mentioned above, the "high pass" inputs further limit the ultra low frequencies.

Glen B
10-30-2011, 12:49 AM
"New" Yamaha C-60.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/Yamaha/C-60_01.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/Yamaha/C-60_02.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/Yamaha/C-60_03.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/Yamaha/C-60_04.jpg

dakatabg
10-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Nice Yammy pramp! It is well regarded!

Mygaffer
11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Thank you, thank you. The new Sansui goodies I put next to the 9090DB i have. Now is time to get some tube amps.

Do you guys think it is a good idea to wrap some vintage pieces and put them in a good place? Do I have to play them once in a while?

I am asking because I got so much stuff and I wanna put some on the side (i don't wanna sell them) so what is the best way to store them?

After playing around with the great you should really sell some of it, let it get played instead of just sitting on a shelf!

But I understand, I have something like 10 pairs of speakers laying around, a few subs, several amps, I really need to sell off some of it. I love hunting for deals on great vintage equipment or even more modern stuff if you find a good deal.

My Niles SI 275 stereo amp was free.

Styx
11-04-2011, 05:23 AM
Gift from a friend..... 2 pair of Minimus 7's.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/BigT12045/P1120856.jpg

dakatabg
11-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Nice Styx, I have a pair of them and I like them a lot! They can be pushed a lot!

MADCSRT8
11-05-2011, 09:58 AM
A McIntosh MC402 isn't considered "vintage" is it?

luvtolisten
11-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Just scored Klipsch KG2's. Brilliant score, $100, mint as hell and great-sounding.

I own a pair myself. Although large for a 'bookshelf" a very nice and versatile speaker. Enjoy!!

Glen B
11-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Nekkid pictures of the 2300 as requested.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_03.jpg

Beer cans:

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_04.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_05.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/SAE-2300_06.jpg

Amp now refurbished. Out of spec resistors on driver board replaced. All electrolytic caps replaced/upgraded with new low ESR caps, Nichicon Muse and Elna Silmic IIs. Main supply capacitance now increased by 13%. I intend to replace the RCA input jacks, as soon as I come up with the strategy. The nickel plating on the originals are a little dulled and pitted looking from age. The RCA jacks are attached to the driver boards, and help to hold the driver boards in place, so replacing them is going to take some thought and modification.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/100_3583.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/100_3584.jpg

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/SAE/100_3586.jpg

dakatabg
11-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I couldn't pass it for 5 bucks at the local Goodwill!

http://i40.tinypic.com/n2my9t.jpg

dakatabg
12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Got a pair of polks!

http://i43.tinypic.com/nl74wm.jpg

luvtolisten
12-09-2011, 02:47 PM
You got them for $5!!!! What model are they? So far I haven't found a pair of Polks I didn't like, just some more than others. Great score!

dakatabg
12-09-2011, 03:04 PM
R 50 is the model, I like them a lot too, they look small but they get loud with no distraction at high volume. I am thinking where to put them now

woggysworld
12-16-2011, 05:21 PM
my dad had that teac double cassette deck! memories! props!

Tekk
12-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Nice finds.

dakatabg
12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
My first sony amp

http://i44.tinypic.com/k54bb4.jpg

TheShawn
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Anyone heard of NEC bookshelf speakers with a screw in fuse in the back?

dakatabg
01-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Got a pair of huge JBL speakers!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2rfaiwy.jpg

Dual-500
01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
^ Those look pretty nice. What model are they? How much$?

dakatabg
01-07-2012, 11:22 AM
ND310, they are almost 4 feet high, I got them for 3 bills of twenty dollars.

I like the polk audio better! I did compare them!

Dual-500
01-07-2012, 11:33 AM
^ For that price, use 'em out on the patio or shop. They would sound good as patio speakers. What do you do with all the gear? Collect? Resell? Both?

They'd even be great in a bedroom - I'd be tempted to hang 'em up in my bedroom connected up to the whole house system.

dakatabg
01-07-2012, 11:58 AM
I kind of do both buy and sell, sometimes if very good I keep it.

I will probably sell them! I see they go on ebay from 200 to 400 so I will get rid of them.

dakatabg
01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Got for free a Yamaha 7.1, one of my friends is moving and he gave it to me!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2dw6he0.jpg

luvtolisten
01-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Nice! So Dak, what is your favorite system of all the stuff you have? (Tough question I know, but at the moment?)

Mr Peabody
01-07-2012, 01:06 PM
You may want to listen to those JBL before letting them go so fast.

Dual-500
01-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I kind of do both buy and sell, sometimes if very good I keep it.

I will probably sell them! I see they go on ebay from 200 to 400 so I will get rid of them.
Not to be disrespectful of the JBL's or your choices. If I had a pair of them at that price they would be in my bedroom or shop. I have a pair of Bose 301's that I swapped a 5 disc Pioneer CD changer for. In the Master Suite is a pair of Optimus Pro-LX-5's.

I agree with Mr. P. hang on to them for a while unless it's just business and you want to turn 'em. I need two more pairs of speakers to complete the 10 zone whole house system. Seeing this makes me want to move the LX5's and put something a little bigger in my bedroom for a fuller sound.

Good find!

luvtolisten
01-07-2012, 03:21 PM
My first sony amp

http://i44.tinypic.com/k54bb4.jpg

Looks like a 72-76 model. I always thought Sony's Amp/Recievers from that period were some of the best for low to mid hifi, as were the Harmon Kardon, Pioneeer and Sansui.

luvtolisten
01-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I wonder if the JBL's are post or pre Harman International. If post they may have more of an Infinity flavor to them. If that's the case, (just a matter of taste), I would stick with the Polks as well.

dakatabg
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I tried the JBLs with few of my vintage receivers and even with the new Yamaha receiver and the Polks are still the winners! My brother and father listened as well and they said the polks sound better too!

I have the L100 JBL and I love the sound but the new generation jbls dont sound as good to me as the older stuff!

Dual-500
01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
^ The L100's are sweet as are many of the models of JBL from that era. I run vintage JBL drivers and horns in my main system. Midrange horns designed in the 50's, HF horns designed right around 1980, compression drivers that are probably late 60's to late 70's vintage and 18's that are roughy late 60's to mid 70's design.

I like the vintage JBL sound myself and in fact based component choices accordingly. The design theme was old school vintage sound and components, blended with some of the technoligy of today. So, old school on horns, drivers, amps and state of the art on full digital system control.

I think Harmon acquired JBL around 1990 or thereabouts.

dakatabg
01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Well I guess if I don't enjoy the JBL speakers I will let somebody else enjoy them! No point to keep them since I don't like them! I will stick with the L100 :cornut:

Dual-500
01-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Well I guess if I don't enjoy the JBL speakers I will let somebody else enjoy them! No point to keep them since I don't like them! I will stick with the L100 :cornut:Absolutely - cut 'em loose! :thumbsup:

drakkendr
01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Got a set of Kenwood Model LS-407B 3-Way Speakers at a local Thrift shop for 10 dollars. They work really well.

dakatabg
01-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Got 2 silver well known amp and receiver!

http://i40.tinypic.com/2hx0lk5.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/jshwf8.jpg

dakatabg
01-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Grabbed this mono Harman Kardon tube receiver!

http://i40.tinypic.com/doox1y.jpg

dakatabg
01-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Not from the best era Sansui but to post!

http://i40.tinypic.com/1589g9k.jpg

luvtolisten
01-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Nice! If it has a chrome face I like it! Love the Harmon Kardon, no flash, but there is a beauty in it's functional simpilicty.

multieagle
01-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Great find. Nothing I like better than checking out gear in used stores, Value Village, etc. Just this afternoon was looking over a 70's era Karaoke with cassete tape player recorder, with an eight track player. Neat.

dakatabg
02-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I snagged another pair of JBL speakers!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2wrm2xt.jpg

dakatabg
02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
and one huge onkyo receiver!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ajow03.jpg

Dual-500
02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I snagged another pair of JBL speakers!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2wrm2xt.jpg

Real nice.

What's the model and specs on them? Got a link?

dakatabg
02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Here you can see the specs!

JBL TLX171 Specs (left / right channel speakers) - Separate Speakers - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/jbl-tlx-171-left/4507-7869_7-30112691.html)

By the way I sold the ND310 as we were talking before!

Dual-500
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Here you can see the specs!

JBL TLX171 Specs (left / right channel speakers) - Separate Speakers - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/jbl-tlx-171-left/4507-7869_7-30112691.html)

By the way I sold the ND310 as we were talking before!
They have some decent reviews on AR too. Good find.

dakatabg
02-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, they have very nice mids and highs, the lows are good too!

Dual-500
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm a JBL believer - not a fanboy for all their stuff. But, have lots in the inventory and it's all good stuff - much of it vintage compnents from the professional line.

luvtolisten
02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Nice find on the JBL's Dak. Always fun to have something new to listen too.
The Onkyo looks like an early 80's piece, how much power? Did you buy the JBL's and Onkyo together?

dakatabg
02-13-2012, 08:47 AM
I believe the Onkyo is 70wpc, it is a lot bigger than the regular receivers! I didn't buy them from the same guy, the onkyo was on my way back from the JBL speakers!

Auricauricle
02-21-2012, 12:22 AM
I agree, definitely.....Those old JBLs are pretty great!

1JGP1
02-24-2012, 08:19 PM
I just acquired a very rare Luxman L503s. It's part of the Limited Edition Series from about 1997. I am blown away with it. I have owed too many systems to mention and a big fan of Sansui--it shamed my G9000, G22000, and AU9500 combo.

Very Impressive. Unusual ability to recreate spacial accuracy.

AltCode
03-06-2012, 10:31 PM
What's vintage? :p
I just picked up two Fishers from around the 70s.
ST-780s.

Feanor
03-11-2012, 01:30 PM
What's vintage? :p
I just picked up two Fishers from around the 70s.
ST-780s.
Yeah, they're vintage I'd say. Definitions of "vintage" vary; a lot of people say greater than 25 years. Personally I like the pre-'80s stuff, i.e. before LEDs, electronic "touch" controls, and digital tuning.

blackraven
03-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I just lost out on a bid to buy a Vintage Scott tube tuner. I have some other bids pending.

blackraven
03-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I just won my bid for this Luxman T-110 vintage tuner. It sold for $600 new in the 1970's. I got if for $105.

http://www.theaudiostudio.com/Used/tuners/luxman_t-110.jpg

AllegroSound * Luxman T-110 fm stereo tuner (http://www.allegrosound.com/Luxman_T-110.html)

Poultrygeist
03-12-2012, 03:10 AM
I once had a black face Sansui TU-517 tuner and that sucker would pull in great FM jazz from 100 miles away. Sadly the jazz station switched to rap so I sold the Sansui. I really like the FM on my Rotel tube receiver but currently have no place to use it. It's a 12 tube single ended EL84 and makes 10watts per side.

blackraven
03-12-2012, 08:12 AM
PG, I bet that Rotel sounds sweet. I need one more tuner maybe 2 as I have 3 systems and 1 tuner. I still have my eye on some Scott Tuners as well as a few Kenwood Tuners from the 1970's. I would love to have a Marantz but they are too expensive. There are a lot of vintage tube tuners for sale but many of them are brands that I have never heard of. I have also looked at vintage Sansui but they are commanding a big price.

Poultrygeist
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
A friend of mine picked up an old McIntosh solid state receiver on the cheap at an estate sale and dang if he wasn't surprised to find that it has a tube tuner.

As with all vintage Marantz gear the silver faced tuners ( 1970's ) bring more than the newer gold faced ones ( 1980's ).

BR, as for vintage tuners you might consider the Realistic units as they were excellent and can often be bought for much less than the more sought after brands.

If I were going to buy a tuner today I'd probably go with the Insignia or Sony HD. I tried the Insignia for a few days and really loved it's sound but I took it back to BB as I still had the Sansui. The Insignia IMO outperformed the Sansui. Someone on ebay was selling a ton of open box Insignia HD tuners but I kept getting outbid so I finally lost interest. They may still be selling them.

blackraven
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I would love to have the Sony HD tuner but I missed the boat. They no longer make the HD tuner and they are selling for hundreds of dollars used.

Enochrome
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Was that just on ebay? I saw that I was tempted. That is supposed to be one the better fm tuners from the seventies and hands down the best looking. Quality score !!!!!!! Sometimes I see them for sale and the glass or decals look to have some crystalizing effect/damage to it or it may look like that when it is not turned on.

That will be my last part of my gear that I need to collect. Nice one Raven!!

blackraven
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Was that just on ebay? I saw that I was tempted. That is supposed to be one the better fm tuners from the seventies and hands down the best looking. Quality score !!!!!!! Sometimes I see them for sale and the glass or decals look to have some crystalizing effect/damage to it or it may look like that when it is not turned on.

That will be my last part of my gear that I need to collect. Nice one Raven!!

Thanks! The seller has yet to contact me with shipping details. It's only been about 24hrs so we will see if he backs out or not.

blackraven
03-19-2012, 04:15 AM
I just bought another vintage tuner, the Eico ST-97 a tube tuner from 1964. It is supposed to be in good working condition. I'll probably have a tech go through it though. I paid $62 for it.

Here's a picture of one-

EICO ST-97 TUNER Photo - Canuck Audio Mart (http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_images.php?cat=Vintage%20Equipment&catnick=vintage_equipment&cfid=182307&image_id=1668875)

Poultrygeist
03-19-2012, 04:35 AM
Good job. Tube tuners just sound better IMO.

dakatabg
03-19-2012, 04:37 AM
That is a nice looking tuner

Dual-500
03-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Good job. Tube tuners just sound better IMO.
They really do. Even the SS analog tuners sound way better than today's PLL DIP's.

blackraven
03-19-2012, 09:53 PM
I got my Luxman today. Cosmetically it's a 9/10. It's built like a tank. Sonically it needs work. It is too bright sounding and lacking midrange. I will have a tech look it over. I bet some of the caps need to be replaced. right now I have some crappy IC's and a crappy antenna hooked up to it.

Rmac58
03-20-2012, 05:03 AM
I know not many here are familiar with or are a fan of early DCM speakers but I am and was fortunate to find this pair of Time Windows in great shape with the original grill foam still attached. They are not replacing the Klipsch but they will be just next door in my other system.....

Cool, I have TW 7's, still going strong.

blackraven
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I got my Luxman today. Cosmetically it's a 9/10. It's built like a tank. Sonically it needs work. It is too bright sounding and lacking midrange. I will have a tech look it over. I bet some of the caps need to be replaced. right now I have some crappy IC's and a crappy antenna hooked up to it.

The Tuner is sounding much better now. There is a de-emphasis switch in back of the unit and I switched it from 25 to 75 microseconds and it toned down the brightness. I also replaced the crappy IC's ( the generic ones that you get with cheap hifi gear) with better IC's and that made a difference as well. What I am finding is that classical music sounds CD like and rock stations sound pretty poor. Next I have to get a decent antenna. I will probably use a Rabbit ear antenna with a 300 ohm connector.

blackraven
03-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I just picked up my third tuner off ebay A vintage Hitachi FT-4400 tuner from 1980 for $10. I own the model below it an FT-3500 which I gave to my son. The 4400 is a 4 gang tuner with 50dB of channel separation and a great buy for $10. It sold for $250 new.

HITACHI FT-4400 "high- quality" am/fm tuner. Japanese made (http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=343778360)

Poultrygeist
03-24-2012, 05:49 AM
BR,

I know the addiction well - mine's with certain $5 flea market Playstations.

blackraven
03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
BR,

I know the addiction well - mine's with certain $5 flea market Playstations.

I have 3 systems and needed 3 tuners. I now have three pretty good tuners for under $150.

blackraven
03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I just received my Eico St-97 tube tuner today. It is in excellent shape but the right channel has a high pitched whine and I may have to return it. I am going to have a radio tech who specializes in fixing and restoring vintage tube radio's refurbish it and see if he can find and fix the problem. Hopefully it is just a bad tube. The unit has about a dozen tubes. It also needs a little realignment but it pulls in signals great. It has a nice warmer sound like most tuners from the 1960's and 70's had.

Tubes- EICO ST-97 - nyindallas - Tubes Asylum (http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/20/208864.html)

dakatabg
03-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Bought this one from a guy at the AK forum! It is near mint and it has a front plate plastic cover!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2i6jgr4.jpg

blackraven
03-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Very nice integrated. I just bid on Marantz 1060 which was made here and a true Marantz instead of Japan like the 1060B and later models. It has a great amp and a highly regarded phono preamp section. I lost out. The Japanese 1060B built amps had the slide tone controls.

dakatabg
03-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I had the 1060 and I sold it. I think I will keep the 1090 because I like it and there is something about that sound that makes me keep it!

1060 is a great amp too but not much power. Now that the 1090 is a lot more powerful but still

Poultrygeist
03-28-2012, 03:23 AM
I have a Model 1150 which may be the next step up. The weird thing it has no jumpers in the pre-outs but plays anyway.

blackraven
03-29-2012, 09:10 AM
I received my 1980 Hitachi FT-4400 tuner yesterday. It has a few scratches on the face plate but it is in great working condition and sounds good. For $10 I can't complain.

dakatabg
04-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Snagged this HK surround receiver with w HDMI inputs for dirty cheap! Not that I needed it but I couldn't pass it for the price! Here is a picture! Pretty cool looking unit!

http://i41.tinypic.com/24fz4vk.jpg

blackraven
04-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Nice pick up!

dakatabg
04-07-2012, 09:48 PM
a new member in the family

http://i43.tinypic.com/142h190.jpg

dakatabg
04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Just refoamed these Advents!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hfndwo.jpg

blackraven
04-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Dakatabg, you have some very nice vintage gear there.

dakatabg
04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I get stuff in and out once in a while

I supply half of the chicago area with electronics on craigslist :)

dakatabg
04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
For the polk audio people :)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2nakyeh.jpg

thekid
04-18-2012, 02:22 AM
For the polk audio people :)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2nakyeh.jpg

Congrats Dak!

I am a big fan of the early Polk Monitor series.
I know you have a lot of speakers but you may want to give those a try.

dakatabg
04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Prodigy Towers

http://i43.tinypic.com/b8josk.jpg

thekid
04-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Yeah, I get stuff in and out once in a while

I supply half of the chicago area with electronics on craigslist :)

Well thanks for helping me out with the Denon tuner.
I t fit in with the stack perfectly.

thekid
04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
I picked this up some time ago but just got it up and running today. Awesome deck!!

dakatabg
04-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Some of the new stuff that I got today! For first time Onkyo power amp with the preamp and tuner! One Yamaha cd recorder and for first time also Onkyo floor speakers!

http://i47.tinypic.com/no94rs.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/11cgtc1.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/zur2pc.jpg

thekid
04-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Daks

That Onkyo Rack gear can be half-way decent. I would not expect it to replace any of your other vintage gear but you can probably flip it fairly quickly.

dakatabg
04-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Yes, they are already listed for sale on Craigslist :)

dakatabg
05-02-2012, 08:36 AM
The new generation Pioneer receiver!

http://i46.tinypic.com/1051btl.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/142eb1c.jpg

Hyfi
05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Snagged this HK surround receiver with w HDMI inputs for dirty cheap! Not that I needed it but I couldn't pass it for the price! Here is a picture! Pretty cool looking unit!

http://i41.tinypic.com/24fz4vk.jpg

I have the 635 and it looks similar. The amps in there are very good and have no issues driving 4ohm Dynaudios.

budgetaudio76
05-13-2012, 12:32 PM
sweet. Which model is it?

dakatabg
05-13-2012, 02:30 PM
which one are you asking for?

budgetaudio76
05-24-2012, 06:43 AM
the hk. I have a lowly avr 146, though i havent used it in months. Ever since my place was burgled last year. I did get most of my stuff back from the pawn shop.

dakatabg
05-24-2012, 02:19 PM
it is the same one AVR146 :)

dakatabg
05-27-2012, 09:49 PM
7.1 ES Series

http://i45.tinypic.com/r1zfvk.jpg

thekid
05-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Congrats.
Sony ES is a cut above their regular offerings.

dakatabg
05-29-2012, 10:07 PM
I put my hands on some Pioneer Elite Series!!!

http://i46.tinypic.com/1b33k.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/15ch5ig.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/10h7wut.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zxbfxk.jpg

Feanor
06-05-2012, 07:02 AM
A 5 year old AV prepro must be counted as already "vintage". So I'm going to talk about my eBay score, an Outlaw 990. Older prepros are often available at remarkably low prices, and this is a fairly good example.

I've admired the Outlaw 990 as an apparently very cost effective prepro for several years, although of course it was superseded by the 997. Now, sadly, it is superseded by nothing since Outlaw has cut back its in-house product line.

The 990 doesn't have HDMI nor auto EQ unfortunately but it still has plenty of features. Intitially I'll probably set it up in "Bypass" mode and use it as a stereo preamp -- one with a tuner and built-in DAC;.(it's possible I'll prefer my current standalone DAC, but that remains to be seen.) Later I'll experiment with the DSP.

Poultrygeist
06-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Feanor,

Does you Blu-ray have 5.1/7.1 analog outputs?

Feanor
06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Feanor,

Does you Blu-ray have 5.1/7.1 analog outputs?
No, unfortunately it doesn't. My Sony Blu-ray only has HDMI outputs so there's no possibility to use it with the Outlaw for hi-rez sound.

Slosh
06-05-2012, 01:08 PM
An HDMI to digital optical converter will allow you to enjoy older surround gear like that Outlaw to your heart's content.
No it won't. Optical/coaxial digital doesn't have the bandwidth to support hi-res multi-channel. You get the exact same results from using the S/PDIF from the blu-ray player itself.

Poultrygeist
06-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Feanor,

You could probably find a Blu-ray with analog outs fairly cheap.

thekid
06-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Feanor

Congrats on the Outlaw pick-up!
I recently moved my Pioneer VSX-815 out from being my main HT receiver when I scored a Onkyo TX-SR607 at a local thrift. I had to order te remote and Audyssey mic from Onkyo but for less than the cost to take my family out for dinner I was able to upgrade my HT system.

thekid
06-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Picked up a pair of vintage Heathkit AS-10 speakers today during lunch.
Cabinets are little beat but the drivers are all working.
Pretty decent sound.

If you want to see them here is a link to them on that "other audio" site that allows me to post pics.

Heath AS-10 Speaker find? - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=448462)

dakatabg
06-11-2012, 10:16 PM
7.1 Elite Surround Receiver

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ibdyd0.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/30vzlsw.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/x1ilfk.jpg

Feanor
06-12-2012, 04:19 AM
7.1 Elite Surround Receiver

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ibdyd0.jpg...
I've always had a secret passion for that glossy Pioneer Elite stuff.

thekid
06-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Picked up a free Sony CDP C85ES CD player to go with my Sony ES set-up.
No point in trying to post pics. It is in very good condition and the wood panels that was part of the Sony ES line-up are in perfect shape and match up perfectly with my ES tuner.

Forgot to mention that about 3 weeks ago I picked up ($13) a minty Sony SCD CE775 SACD player. Running it now with my Adcom/Tascam/VR-2 set-up. Sweet little player for my humble but growing SACD collection.

thekid
06-28-2012, 06:25 PM
A very good week......
During lunch picked up a pair of KG4's and Pioneer SX-626.
Both in very good cosmetic condition and excellent working condition.
But the best score you can read about over in my "Rave Recordings thread....... :D