New Finds [Archive] - Page 2 - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Finds

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

luvtolisten
07-26-2010, 04:38 PM
I haven't read the MIT website but I have Transparent, Transparent was started by former MIT employees. The theory behind the network is to zero out the "antenna effect" of various lengths of cable. I'm not sure what is in the network. Thankfully when Transparent came out with the new line some years back the networks were quite a bit smaller.

Very good, Thanx for the explanation Mr. P!

dakatabg
07-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Dak, notice any difference when switching the cables around? The arrow goes toward the amp or receiver.

I feel some difference. The sound is more full and clear. I use them from the cd player to the Marantz!

dakatabg
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I know they are nothing special but they arrived today at the store so I decided to post them. Jensen model CS315. Huge 15" woofers. they sound ok and I guess for parties will be perfect. I will put them on craigslist to see how they will go!

http://i27.tinypic.com/2wrlxeu.jpg

poppachubby
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Just picked up these KEF C20's for $5.99!!! Gotta love it. They're in great shape, I would say 8/10. Drivers are immaculate. Made in England. Can;t wait to hook em up. Canuck Audio Mart has a pair for sale for $125.00.

They also have 2 Sony CDP's with my beloved TDA 1543. Talk about feast or famine...

poppachubby
07-28-2010, 01:00 PM
One more...

dakatabg
07-28-2010, 01:13 PM
You can't beat the price, it is like giving away. Yeah poppa those are very nice bookshelf speakers. I had similar one like those ( they were C series too ) and I really liked them but I ended up selling them because I had no use of them.

They look so nice that you don't even have to have the front grills/covers on.

poppachubby
07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
They sound spectacular. My Missions have a hump in the low mid/upper bass that these do not. Clear and detailed, great stage.

thekid
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
They sound spectacular. My Missions have a hump in the low mid/upper bass that these do not. Clear and detailed, great stage.

Pops

Congrats!
I think KEF makes a wonderful book shelf speaker and you got them at an ubelievable price. I suspect that someone at the store who had never heard of KEF thought they were some off brand and priced them accordingly.

poppachubby
07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Pops

Congrats!
I think KEF makes a wonderful book shelf speaker and you got them at an ubelievable price. I suspect that someone at the store who had never heard of KEF thought they were some off brand and priced them accordingly.

That's exactly what I thought. Overall they have a gorgeous midrange, smooth highs but VERY weak bass. They may be H/T bound or perhaps a gift for a friend of mine.

thekid
07-28-2010, 04:44 PM
That's exactly what I thought. Overall they have a gorgeous midrange, smooth highs but VERY weak bass. They may be H/T bound or perhaps a gift for a friend of mine.

That was my impression of the bass as well but a littlle EQ can work to bring it back a little. Their approach to bass is typical of the few British speakers I have listened to I am assuming they are 4ohm like mine and so you need to make sure you amp that can push them a bit. I think they are good at low volume so I use mine for classical in the morning when I don't want to wake up the whole house.

poppachubby
07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
That was my impression of the bass as well but a littlle EQ can work to bring it back a little. Their approach to bass is typical of the few British speakers I have listened to I am assuming they are 4ohm like mine and so you need to make sure you amp that can push them a bit. I think they are good at low volume so I use mine for classical in the morning when I don't want to wake up the whole house.

No they're 8 ohm kid. And 90db sensitivity. It's odd, my Golden Tube actually drove the most bass out of them. Anyhow, my Missions are not bass-centric by any means but they do produce a nice natural presence in the low end. It really depends on the source material, if I put on a hip hop album, the 707's respond really well. Not even bass heavy music could save the KEF's.

Anyhow, at 5.99 who's complaining? They are really small with no reflex, so I wasn't expecting much. I'm ceratinly not hanging KEF out to dry based on an old, not-so-ideal bookshelf.

I think you have the right idea Scott. I could see putting them on a nice warm receiver for some morning FM, or a CDP inputted perhaps. BTW, whcih model do you have?

I ended up picking up another Sony. CDP-291 with a KSS 240A and TDA 1543. The CDP-390 I have is a real winner, I love it. I am hoping to find something with the TDA 1541A...

poppachubby
07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
I am too lazy to photograph my "new" Sony. Maybe tommorrow. I just want to say how great this "old, BPC" player sounds. The detail is absolutely superb. Certainly more than enough to push my Sound Dynamics' transparency to the limit. The highs are not rolled off, yet not bright. In fact they are quite penetrating and serve to effectively shine through in the most pleasing way.

Here's the thing. I will not be spending $1K on a CDP or any combo therein. So what's a guy to do? I have listened to many hi fi CDPs at the "entry level", frankly I find most to be great, but nothing overly impressive.

I would love to buy a used Rega or Marantz. The SA 8001, used, at around 500 is a great value.

Anyhow, I am fully aware that 90% of older players sound like chit for one reason or another. Perhaps ignorance is bliss, although I am not fully ignorant. I am however, blissful. Frank Black never sounded better...

thekid
07-29-2010, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=poppachubby]I think you have the right idea Scott. I could see putting them on a nice warm receiver for some morning FM, or a CDP inputted perhaps. BTW, whcih model do you have?/QUOTE]

Mine are a pair of C35's which utilized an early version of the "Uni-Q" driver. Which basically means that the tweeter is centererd over the woofer. I am not sure how this type of driver configuration would affect bass so I would think the bass in yours would be very close to mine.

Here is a link that describes the Uni-Q a little more but may also tell you a little something about yours.

http://www.kef.com/us/technology/uni-q

Feanor
07-29-2010, 04:52 AM
[ ...
Mine are a pair of C35's which utilized an early version of the "Uni-Q" driver. Which basically means that the tweeter is centererd over the woofer. I am not sure how this type of driver configuration would affect bass so I would think the bass in yours would be very close to mine.

Here is a link that describes the Uni-Q a little more but may also tell you a little something about yours.

http://www.kef.com/us/technology/uni-q
Wow! Nice, Kid. Now that's a pair I'd like to hear. The concept of concentric drivers has a lot going for it.

poppachubby
07-29-2010, 01:00 PM
The Bozak 919 is here!!

It will get it's own thread, but for now, here's a couple of quick pics...

poppachubby
07-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Back side

dakatabg
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Looks in great condition, now tell us how it sounds

thekid
07-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Wow! Nice, Kid. Now that's a pair I'd like to hear. The concept of concentric drivers has a lot going for it.

Feanor

Come on down south to the Beach and you can hear them!
I have them matched up with my Kenwood silverface KA-8100/KT-8300combo.
As mentioned pretty much only listen to the local classical public radio station with them. Great for office or small bedroom set-up IMO.

JoeE SP9
07-29-2010, 05:24 PM
The Bozak 919 is here!!

It will get it's own thread, but for now, here's a couple of quick pics...

Me like!!!!!!!

poppachubby
07-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Me like!!!!!!!

I knew you would. The only people who have heard of this unit, and the others by Bozak, seem to fully understand it's significance. For everyone else, it wasn't even a blip on the radar. I must say, it took alot of research to arrive at this unit, and finding out it's "worthy".

I am finished cleaning it. Just having a smoke break and I'll put it back together. Then the real fun...

Hey Joe, there's a rotary pot inside, on top of the chassis. It looks like it wires into the outputs to the power amp. Any idea what it would be for? Is it some kind of master pot for the volume? I can take a pic if you need...

Here's my thread...http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=34771

I have one at AK too, but the majority over there are only interested in "working mans" vintage. This is far too boutique. Haha, ouch! Where did that come from?!?

Feanor
07-30-2010, 04:43 AM
Back side
A pretty impressive looking hunk of metal, PC. Nice going. :thumbsup:

poppachubby
07-30-2010, 06:52 AM
A pretty impressive looking hunk of metal, PC. Nice going. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, I think this might be it. At least as far down the road as I can see right now. I think this calls for a victory cable buying. I'm off to Target to check out some Kimbers and generally argue with the owner regarding the Bozak.

Feanor
07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks Bill, I think this might be it. At least as far down the road as I can see right now. I think this calls for a victory cable buying. I'm off to Target to check out some Kimbers and generally argue with the owner regarding the Bozak.
The Target Hifi guy is highly opinionated in my experince, (which might be less than yours). Have fun. :biggrin5:

poppachubby
07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
The Target Hifi guy is highly opinionated in my experince, (which might be less than yours). Have fun. :biggrin5:

Indeed, Bill is that. Alot of experience however. To be a seller you must convince your self of certain untruths, or have that used car salesman ability.

Mr Peabody
07-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Wha? Poppa, I thought you spun your own cables.

dakatabg
07-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Poppa now find the Bozak 929 amplifier and you will be all set

poppachubby
07-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Wha? Poppa, I thought you spun your own cables.

Right now I have the fidelity to justify a superb cable between my pre and amp. My specialty is speaker cables.

Any suggestions in the sub 100 range for a nice bright IC?

JoeE SP9
07-30-2010, 06:01 PM
DH Labs BL-1 Series II. Silver plated (better highs) OFC copper. I use their Air Matrix IC's and their Q-10 Signature speaker cable. Both of these use silver plated OFC copper. I'm slowly replacing all my IC's with these. They are around $220 per meter/pair. The Bl-1's are around $100 per meter/pair.

I tried Kimber Silver Streak but the unshielded cable was prone to RF interference. I liked the Silver Streak a lot. The DH Labs was at the suggestion of a buddy.

Mr Peabody
07-30-2010, 07:50 PM
In sub $100.00 you might try Transparent, although I wouldn't necessarily call them "bright" they do have an extended high end and more neutral than warm. I've been told the Tara labs is bright.

poppachubby
07-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys...

Here's a 929 auction right now dak. http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BOZAK-929-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/120598979468?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c1442638c#ht_500wt_957&afsrc=1

frenchmon
07-31-2010, 05:50 AM
Right now I have the fidelity to justify a superb cable between my pre and amp. My specialty is speaker cables.

Any suggestions in the sub 100 range for a nice bright IC?

IF you what silver cables, make sure you amp is not bright in character....and that it has lots of bottom in punch...but since you are asking for bright cable I assume its dark in character?

frenchmon
07-31-2010, 05:53 AM
Are you going to bid on the 929?

dakatabg
07-31-2010, 06:30 AM
Wow it looks pretty good and powerful. The guy is selling few more Bozak things I saw. He must be a big Bozak fan so if you need info you can get in touch with him I guess.

Are you planning on bidding for the amp?

poppachubby
07-31-2010, 09:11 AM
No not at this time.

JoeE SP9
07-31-2010, 10:33 AM
I should mention the Kimber Silver Streak IC's use a solid Silver conductor for the signal and two Copper conductors for ground and shield. The DH Labs IC's use Silver plated Copper. The Kimber was/is brighter.

poppachubby
07-31-2010, 01:08 PM
John Micheal has a pair of AQ King Cobra's. I am going to try them out.

thekid
08-01-2010, 11:47 AM
This weekend's pick-up....
Adcom GFA-545 II in near mint condition.
Will post more pics in another thread after it is set-up/

dakatabg
08-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Very good, it should be a big improvement over your Kenweood power amp.

What preamp are you planning on using?

Mr Peabody
08-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Good deal Kid now you have the Adcom set up with the gfp-555. Seems you feel the Adcom edges out the Basic gear and I can believe that. Be sure to give us some feedback.

poppachubby
08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Right on kid. I would like your thoughts...

thekid
08-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Right on kid. I would like your thoughts...

I wrote a brief review in my "Listening Space" thread. Needless to say I am very happy.

Mr. P - I really do prefer the Adcom set-up to the Basic. The Adcom is just cleaner and more open. The build quality in the Adcom is much better than the Kenwood. The Basic gear makes for a good budget sytem and the C2 pre-amp I think is where its real strength lies. Perhaps the M1D is showing its age a little and bit of an overhaul could improve the sound a bit but at this point I don't see the need.

dakatabg
08-03-2010, 12:34 PM
What do you guys think? A pair of Bose 141 bookshelf speakers for $5 in new condition! Even someone who doesn't understand of electronics will buy them for that price!

http://i38.tinypic.com/10zrepx.jpg

Feanor
08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
What do you guys think? A pair of Bose 141 bookshelf speakers for $5 in new condition! Even someone who doesn't understand of electronics will buy them for that price!

http://i38.tinypic.com/10zrepx.jpg

So sell them already!! :p

dakatabg
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Ha ha Feanor, I bought them for $5 and I will sell them for $50 ;) :thumbsup:

I gave you few points for your reputation :)

E-Stat
08-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Actually, some of their smaller bookshelf speakers like the 601 are pretty decent.

rw

dakatabg
08-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Actually, some of their smaller bookshelf speakers like the 601 are pretty decent.

rw

I know the 601 very well. One of my buddies has a pair of them and he uses them with a Denon ( I dont know the exact model ) and they sound very good!

I don't know why but I never was impressed with Bose! I have had most of their speakers and maybe 901 speakers sounded the best for me!

luvtolisten
08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I liked the 301's the best, for sentimental reasons. It was in the early mid 70's when they first came out. It was the first set of speakers I owned, my break from the consoles. Back then they came with a lifetime warranty. I remember according to 2 popular consumer magazines, the 301's and EPI 100's were rated the "best buy" in their price class.

E-Stat
08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
... and maybe 901 speakers sounded the best for me!
Well, they can be fun if nothing else. :) I don't want to rain on your parade, but the 901s have no real top end response and their image is a caricature of the signal. "Isn't it cool that the twelve string guitar sounds ten feet wide!"

You should be able to turn the ones you got pretty quickly.

rw

dakatabg
08-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Well, they can be fun if nothing else. :) I don't want to rain on your parade, but the 901s have no real top end response and their image is a caricature of the signal. "Isn't it cool that the twelve string guitar sounds ten feet wide!"

You should be able to turn the ones you got pretty quickly.

rw

I see what you mean E-Stat, well everyone has a different taste and opinion. Some people say Bose is a great company and they love the sound, some people hate it and they don't even wanna look and hear Bose products so you know what I mean!

JoeE SP9
08-03-2010, 05:43 PM
This weekend's pick-up....
Adcom GFA-545 II in near mint condition.
Will post more pics in another thread after it is set-up/

Way to go kid!!!!
The 555/5500 series gets all the press, but IMO the 545/5400 series is the best sounding of all the Adcom power amps.

BTW:
I compared one of my GFA-545's against the Kenwood I got from you. There was/is no contest. The Adcom was better in every way. It has smoother, cleaner sound, less grain and a blacker background. It also subjectively has at least twice as much power even though they are both rated about the same WPC wise.

The Kenwood stuff is doing fine at my girlfriends place.

budgetaudio76
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM
give those tweets a kiss and suck them out. Make sure your wife doesnt see you though. She will have ugly thought s of the bass ports.!

thekid
08-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Way to go kid!!!!
The 555/5500 series gets all the press, but IMO the 545/5400 series is the best sounding of all the Adcom power amps.

BTW:
I compared one of my GFA-545's against the Kenwood I got from you. There was/is no contest. The Adcom was better in every way. It has smoother, cleaner sound, less grain and a blacker background. It also subjectively has at least twice as much power even though they are both rated about the same WPC wise.

The Kenwood stuff is doing fine at my girlfriends place.

Agreed:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

luvtolisten
08-05-2010, 04:44 AM
You've got me thinking about Adcom. Is $200 a poor, fair, high price for GFP 565?
I heard a that the prefix "GFP", and "GFA" stand for "Good F#*()#$ Preamp/Amp" True?

JoeE SP9
08-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Yes GFA/GFP does mean want you think. Check Audiogon for the price of a GFP-555. The figure you quoted seems to be in the ballpark.

luvtolisten
08-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Joe.

dakatabg
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
luvtolisten, there are few going on ebay now and they look in great shape so check them out. I think $200 is a lit bit higher than the regular price! I mean it has to be a deal for me to buy it!

luvtolisten
08-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Me too! I'll check it out, thanks!

thekid
08-05-2010, 03:23 PM
You've got me thinking about Adcom. Is $200 a poor, fair, high price for GFP 565?
I heard a that the prefix "GFP", and "GFA" stand for "Good F#*()#$ Preamp/Amp" True?

LL

Be careful the 565 is I believe a mono amp as was I believe the 575. The Adcom stereo amps from that period would be the 535,545 and 555 then the 535 II, 545 II and 555 II. You can go on Stereophile.com and find some reviews.

luvtolisten
08-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Kid, yes, the GFA 565 is a mono amp. But the GFP 565 is a preamp. I might have pulled the trigger if it was a great deal, not just an okay deal.But from what I'm hearing here and seen on ebay, It seems I would get a bigger bang for my buck with the 535-555 series(GFP and GFA). I am in no hurry, just that I have heard a lot of good things about Adcom, and it doesn't break the bank.

JoeE SP9
08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
There are a couple of GFP-555's and 565's on Audiogon. The prices range from $199 to $250. I would think gear sold on Audiogon may have had better care than stuff sold on epray. Some of Audiogon's sellers also sell on epray.

Mr Peabody
08-05-2010, 05:22 PM
JoeE, what speakers were you using with the Adcom? With my Dynaudio the gfa-5500 was better than the 5400 in every aspect. Unless you wanted a brighter amp. Actually, the two sounded quite a bit different. I know the 5500 had more output devices and used MOSFET but I can't remember if the 5400 was MOSFET, if not, could account for some sound difference. I would not jones for a 5400 but would take a 5500 if I had the chance just to have one. For you guys considering Adcom the 5400 is a good amp, it just isn't a 5500. As mentioned I believe the 5400 was conservatively rated on power. It rocked my 4 ohm Dyn's and didn't break a sweat. At extreme volumes it did show some distortion. With the 5500 I backed down before it did. From what I've experienced though Adcom are my favorite over Rotel and NAD.

thekid
08-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Kid, yes, the GFA 565 is a mono amp. But the GFP 565 is a preamp. I might have pulled the trigger if it was a great deal, not just an okay deal.But from what I'm hearing here and seen on ebay, It seems I would get a bigger bang for my buck with the 535-555 series(GFP and GFA). I am in no hurry, just that I have heard a lot of good things about Adcom, and it doesn't break the bank.

Ooops! It helps to read.....
Good luck on your search. You should be able to put together a good Adcom system in the $500 -$600 range for both the amp/pre-amp. I was able to get mine for about half that and got a GFT-555 tuner as well.

JoeE SP9
08-06-2010, 12:06 PM
JoeE, what speakers were you using with the Adcom? With my Dynaudio the gfa-5500 was better than the 5400 in every aspect. Unless you wanted a brighter amp. Actually, the two sounded quite a bit different. I know the 5500 had more output devices and used MOSFET but I can't remember if the 5400 was MOSFET, if not, could account for some sound difference. I would not jones for a 5400 but would take a 5500 if I had the chance just to have one. For you guys considering Adcom the 5400 is a good amp, it just isn't a 5500. As mentioned I believe the 5400 was conservatively rated on power. It rocked my 4 ohm Dyn's and didn't break a sweat. At extreme volumes it did show some distortion. With the 5500 I backed down before it did. From what I've experienced though Adcom are my favorite over Rotel and NAD.

I used it on my ESL's first. It ended up driving my subs. I have two that I'm not using. I drafted a Crown XLS402 to drive my subs.
There's no doubt the 555 is more powerful. IMO it doesn't sound as sweet. One of my buddies is using a 585 to drive a pair of Maggie 3.6R's it sounds very good.

frenchmon
08-06-2010, 04:11 PM

The 5500 is 200 watts and the 5400 is 125 watts per both @ 8ohms. They both are MOSFET.

I have the Rotel 1080 and the Adcom 5400. I believe the Rotel is better than the Adcom. I dont feel the 5400 is bright at all. At 4ohms the 5400 is 200@channel. The 5500 is 350 watts per channel @ 4 ohms.

Mr Peabody
08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, the 5400 certainly isn't warm by no means. It may also be system set up, I was useing Transparent cables. I didn't mean to imply the 5400 was overly bright just brighter than the 5500. The 5500 has a warmer more balanced sound.

JoeE, I think you are talking about the 555 and I'm talking about the 5500. The 5500 is a very good sounding amp, much more than the 5400. I have not heard the older 545/555. When you hear the 5500 it has a very dark character sort of like older Krell gear has, I hate to say it was warm but it does have a nice balance and comfortable feel to it. The highs weren't rolled off but much smoother than the 5400.

JoeE SP9
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
That's true. I have little experience with the XX00 series. We're both being a little "high endish". The real issue is that Adcom gear is a step above most receiver based gear. I'm sure we agree on that.

frenchmon
08-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Well, the 5400 certainly isn't warm by no means. It may also be system set up, I was useing Transparent cables. I didn't mean to imply the 5400 was overly bright just brighter than the 5500. The 5500 has a warmer more balanced sound.

JoeE, I think you are talking about the 555 and I'm talking about the 5500. The 5500 is a very good sounding amp, much more than the 5400. I have not heard the older 545/555. When you hear the 5500 it has a very dark character sort of like older Krell gear has, I hate to say it was warm but it does have a nice balance and comfortable feel to it. The highs weren't rolled off but much smoother than the 5400.

P...I get the impression you really like dark sounding gear? Nothing wrong with that. We all like different things.

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Ya don't sweat it Peabody. Historically, the dark side has had alot of very influential supporters...

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/113774-darth_vader.jpg

frenchmon
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I really cant see why the 2 amps...the 5400 and the 5500 would be so different in sound seeing they are almost identical in the stats. IF you are talking about that Adcom I listened to at your house they pretty much sounded a like to me. OR was that a different amp we had connected to my Rotel preamp that day? On the other hand, I've hooked both the Adcom and Rotel amps up to my system here and there is a difference. Neither amp is dark nor very bright but the Adcom seems to be a bit more heavy with the bass put out with a more robust sound where as the Rotels bass out put is not as punchy but full. I do have A+ cables which are a warmer cable so they could be holding down some of the brightness if they are bright, but I doubt it.

http://www.adcom.com/data/compare/Home_Audio_Power-Amps.pdf

frenchmon
08-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Ya don't sweat it Peabody. Historically, the dark side has had alot of very influential supporters...

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/113774-darth_vader.jpg

lol!!!! Man you crack me up!:smile5:

Feanor
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Mr P, you quoted me as saying that the 5500 was "earthy"; actually it was the 555II I was referring to. But not matter: a bit "dark" would also apply to the latter. So what's "dark"? Well I think we probably agree ... not "warm" but certainly not "forward", (much less "bright"). Perhaps a little reticent in the lower midrange but subtly so.

The 555II was a relaxing sound next to the Bel Canto eVo2i I'd been using which was slightly forward and dry in the midrange. An instrument analogy would be an oboe vs. a flute or clarinet. My current Monarchy SM-70 Pro's are the most perfectly balance amps I've heard -- granted, I haven't heard 'em all.

poppachubby
08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
lol!!!! Man you crack me up!:smile5:

Glad I could help you out with that. Look at the thing on his chest. Seems reasonable that it could be a Bose Wave Radio w/ custom GPS and Sirius radio. Anyhow, I think that joke has lost it's steam.

Frenchie, keep an eye on the analog forum. I will be posting something very funny there.

Mr Peabody
08-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Frenchmon, you are correct, I do like a dark background. I was able to pull the 5400 out of my system and directly replace it with the 5500 and there is definitely a sound difference. I really can't remember which amp we used with the Rotel preamp. I would agree with your assessment of the difference between the Rotel and Adcom amps.

JoeE, my good man, we can certainly agree the Adcom is a large step up from receivers. I can't understand why they don't hold value on the used market but it makes a hella deal for the wise.

02audionoob
08-07-2010, 05:14 PM

Although I don't look at Adcom gear continuously, I used to look very often in that I bought and/or sold an Adcom GFA-535, GFA-545II, GFA-555II, GFP-555, GFP-565, SLC-505 and a GCD-575. In my experience, $200 is a very low price for a GFP-565. I got something like $275 when I sold mine.

Of the three amps, I kept the GFA-545II.

JoeE SP9
08-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Mr.P, the low price of used Adcom gear always surprises me. I recommend it to anyone that's putting together their first system and those getting away from a receiver. The sound speaks for itself.

For those who believe all amps sound the same, compare the sound of almost any receiver with an Adcom preamp and power amp. If you don't hear differences, stick with your receiver. If you do well........

Currently ~$300 will get an Adcom pre and power amp.

dakatabg
08-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I haven't gotten anything new lately so today I grabbed one Pioneer SX-737 Receiver. The only thing that bothers me is that it has a big brown spot at the top! I guess the previous owner was a painter or something because it is paint! Overall the receiver is good and it has very good sound.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2agmgz8.jpg

thekid
08-08-2010, 02:36 PM
I haven't gotten anything new lately so today I grabbed one Pioneer SX-737 Receiver. The only thing that bothers me is that it has a big brown spot at the top! I guess the previous owner was a painter or something because it is paint! Overall the receiver is good and it has very good sound. The AM sounds so nice on it!

http://i33.tinypic.com/2agmgz8.jpg

Congrats Dak.

A little Howard's Restor-A-Finish and 0000 steel wool should remove that paint and restore the wood cabinet.

dakatabg
08-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Well I have some paint remover somewhere in the garage but I have to check. I like the sound on that receiver. It is my first vintage Pioneer. I like how the AM radio band sounds!

thekid
08-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Well I have some paint remover somewhere in the garage but I have to check. I like the sound on that receiver. It is my first vintage Pioneer. I like how the AM radio band sounds!

I would try the Howard's and steel wool before you put paint remover on the case. Chances are that the paint reomover will damage the cabinet stain. A can of Restor-A-Finish and steel wool can be found at your local Home Depot for about $10. It is a must have to bring back the finish on any wood receiver cabinet or speaker cabinets.

thekid
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
While I am trying to reduce my gear pile I could not walk away from this $5 beauty. It is a Nakimichi CR-2A from the late 80's and works flawlessly. It came with the original owner's manual and a tape catalog listing tapes in the Nakamichi Reference series. The pic is a little fuzzy but here is a link that can give you some info and a better pic.

http://www.vintagecassette.com/Nakamichi/CR-2

Not quite sure what the difference is between the CR-2 and the CR-2A but I am sure the owner's manual can help there.

poppachubby
08-08-2010, 03:07 PM
dak I have the SX-650 and I absolutely love it. Sounds way better than it should. That's a keeper...

02audionoob
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
While I am trying to reduce my gear pile I could not walk away from this $5 beauty. It is a Nakimichi CR-2A from the late 80's and works flawlessly. It came with the original owner's manual and a tape catalog listing tapes in the Nakamichi Reference series. The pic is a little fuzzy but here is a link that can give you some info and a better pic.

http://www.vintagecassette.com/Nakamichi/CR-2

Not quite sure what the difference is between the CR-2 and the CR-2A but I am sure the owner's manual can help there.

The A designates the models intended for North America.

Mr Peabody
08-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Who would just dump a Nakamichi.....

I was just reading an interview with Nelson Pass today and learned Nakamichi at one point built some amp replicas of his Threshold Stasis series. Nak sent the design to him to tweak before production. I wish he had given some model numbers that would be something to watch for.

thekid
08-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Who would just dump a Nakamichi.....

I was just reading an interview with Nelson Pass today and learned Nakamichi at one point built some amp replicas of his Threshold Stasis series. Nak sent the design to him to tweak before production. I wish he had given some model numbers that would be something to watch for.

Well I am glad they did....

Just finished listening to some classical pre-recorded tapes and it is a great sounding deck-similar to my 480. Will try to record something on it tomorrow and see how that goes.

02- Thanks for the info. The owner's manual did mention that the A does mean it was desinated for the North American market and an E is for the European market.

dakatabg
08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Today I got in the store Marantz SP2010 speakers. Those are probably the worse speakers Marantz has ever made. They sound horrible and look like KLH speakers!

http://i38.tinypic.com/5x6244.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/2rcve44.jpg

E-Stat
08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Who would just dump a Nakamichi...
How much time do you spend listening to cassettes? I still have an old Sony unit, but keep it only to convert cassettes to CDs for family and friends (which I last did over the weekend).

...and learned Nakamichi at one point built some amp replicas of his Threshold Stasis series. Nak sent the design to him to tweak before production. I wish he had given some model numbers that would be something to watch for.
Actually, you have that backwards, Like Adcom, Nakamichi simply licensed his design (schematics) and was completely responsible for all aspects of execution. The PA series of Stasis amps were nice, but not built to Threshold standards. They used smaller transformers, fewer output transistors, lower quality parts and were significantly lighter than the Threshold equivalent. You can regularly find them on Agon and there are a couple there now.

A couple of years ago, Texas Instruments licensed his current "Super Symmetry" design, but as yet has not put it into production as far as I know.

rw

E-Stat
08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Those are probably the worse speakers Marantz has ever made.
My favorite part is the Taiwanese spelling on the back label. :)

rw

Mr Peabody
08-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Here's Pass's interview if anyone is interested. Pass seems to indicate he had a pretty big hand in the Adcom designs and even though Nak purchased rights to the Stasis, Pass mentions Nak sending him back their result to go over.
http://www.linearaudio.nl/JDpubs/Interviews/DiddenInterview_MMM110.pdf

Mr Peabody
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Even though I haven't listened to cassettes in a long while the Nakamichi deck would have brought money on Ebay or Audiogon. I wouldn't have just tossed it.

thekid
08-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Even though I haven't listened to cassettes in a long while the Nakamichi deck would have brought money on Ebay or Audiogon. I wouldn't have just tossed it.

Thanks for the link!
I have not ever come across any other Nak gear other than the 3 decks that I own but would be curious to hear what their other gear sounded like. It was also be interesting to find some of these tapes listed in the "Reference Series" catalog. This catalog is the first time I have heard that Nak produced their own tapes.

There really is no accounting for what/why people do what they do with older gear. Some people I have got gear from just have no clue. They bought the gear in the first place because someone or some salesperson said it was good. When something else comes along they just let it go because they had no real interest or knowledge of it in the first place. Some just don't think anyone is interested in older gear anymore and that it no longer holds any value. Both scenario's have allowed me to experience a fairly decent variety of gear at very good prices. Just the Nak decks alone would have had a combined retail value of around $1500 in their day and my total cost has been less than $25....... :D

poppachubby
08-10-2010, 02:04 AM
A couple of years ago, Texas Instruments licensed his current "Super Symmetry" design, but as yet has not put it into production as far as I know.

rw

Scary. TI will surely botch it up. How does it work E, regarding licensing? Can any company spend the cash and get one, or does the license holder have power of selection.

Honestly Nelson Pass is a big shiny audio god. Has he ever done any wrong? Anyone have any dirt on him, or maybe some crumby product that he built?

poppachubby
08-10-2010, 02:07 AM
There really is no accounting for what/why people do what they do with older gear.

Bottom line, the average person thinks that old = no longer good/relevant. This is why the thrifts contain some honest to God gems.

That's how I like it. I don't waste my time trying to "educate" people, I would rather scoop their wares for a good price.

E-Stat
08-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Pass seems to indicate he had a pretty big hand in the Adcom designs and even though Nak purchased rights to the Stasis, Pass mentions Nak sending him back their result to go over.
He did have a pretty big hand with many Adcom designs - they used his schematics. He did not, however, design the board layout nor spec the parts used. As for Nakamichi, I sit corrected in that "At the end of the process, they brought one up to Foresthill to have it tweaked, and there we were." Once again, unlike the Threshold and Pass Labs products, he did not design how the amplifier was built. Such can easily be determined when you look at internal views of both amplifiers. Pass would never put a 700 VA transformer in a 200 watt per channel amp. He specified a 1200 VA unit for the 100 watt per channel Stasis 3.

"Actually, we did not have to do a lot of work—they took our existing schematics and rendered them into their own version of the product."

rw

luvtolisten
08-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Today I bought a Adcom GFP 555 II off ebay today. It has a little paint over spray on it, but supposedly the unit runs and sounds fine.(Got it <$100)
Now the search for an amp.From what I'm hearing hear the GFA 545 is the way to go, but the GFA 535 has had good reviews, and goes for about 50% less. Is the price diff just for power (as stated in the Stereophile review)?

poppachubby
08-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Nice grab L2L!! Looks like the beginning of a nice little system. What do you see the final deal looking like? Sources? Speakers?

Can't comment on the Adcom, but I suspect there will be plenty of help for you. Right on!!

thekid
08-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Today I bought a Adcom GFP 555 II off ebay today. It has a little paint over spray on it, but supposedly the unit runs and sounds fine.(Got it <$100)
Now the search for an amp.From what I'm hearing hear the GFA 545 is the way to go, but the GFA 535 has had good reviews, and goes for about 50% less. Is the price diff just for power (as stated in the Stereophile review)?

Congrats!
I think you will really like it.
do you know what the difference is between the 555 and the 555 II? From what I know about the amps it was basically cosmetic but I have not heard anything about the pre's.

luvtolisten
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Nice grab L2L!! Looks like the beginning of a nice little system. What do you see the final deal looking like? Sources? Speakers?

Can't comment on the Adcom, but I suspect there will be plenty of help for you. Right on!!
Thanks Poppa C!
Right now for the source, or at least 90% of the time I use iTunes (with a laptop) thru a Cambridge DAC Magic (I know you mentioned before another DAC with a particular chip, which my be in my future, but I for got the chip and DAC, do you remember?)

As for speakers, I'm a guy who l like variety, The newer ones are Paradigm Titian's, Wharfedale EVO10's, and AV123 XL's. Bit I also love the vintage stuff. I have a pair of Polk SDA 2's, Klipsch KG2's,Wharfedale 60D Mark III's, EPI 100's Boston A 60's, Genesis I's, and about 10 others, but the ones mentioned are my current favorites.

luvtolisten
08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Congrats!
do you know what the difference is between the 555 and the 555 II? From what I know about the amps it was basically cosmetic but I have not heard anything about the pre's.

Thanks Kid,
No, I don't know the difference between them.But I found this link to be helpful:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53981&highlight=adcom+555

02audionoob
08-10-2010, 03:08 PM

I had a GFA-535 and I still have a GFA-545II. I think it's a fair statement that the price difference is for the power...and the GFA-535 was pretty darn powerful. It sounds like more than its rating.

luvtolisten
08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I had a GFA-535 and I still have a GFA-545II. I think it's a fair statement that the price difference is for the power...and the GFA-535 was pretty darn powerful. It sounds like more than its rating.

Thanks noob! Nothing like the voice of experience! Very appreciated.

02audionoob
08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Congrats!

The GFP-555II improved the noise spec and the distortion spec as compared to the GFP-555. It also removed the LOMC phono input. I think the "processor in" loop was new with the II.

02audionoob
08-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks noob! Nothing like the voice of experience! Very appreciated.

Glad to help. Here's the last of my Adcom gear...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4292678611_881a5ae0a6.jpg

I thought the GFP-565 in bypass mode was even better than no preamp at all, but it's gone because I now have only one source on the Adcom GFA-545II and I couldn't resist the money I could get for it.

dakatabg
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Seems that I am the only one who doesn't have an Adcom :( I should quickly get one to see how they sound!

JoeE SP9
08-10-2010, 05:09 PM
AFAIK there isn'tmuch difference sound wise between the 545/535 and the II versions. The 5300/5400 and 5500 models are different.

If you've been using a receiver even the GFA-535 will seem to have limitless power. It doesn't but it has more "oomph" than any receiver. I've had and used most of Adcoms amps except the 5500. They all seem to have more power than their ratings.

I recently compared a GFA-545 against a Kenwood KM-106. There was no contest. The Adcom was better in every way. It was smoother, more articulate, had better bass, a blacker background and seemed to have at least twice as much power.

The 535 is rated at 60WPC and the 545 at 100WPC. They are definately conservative ratings.

Mr Peabody
08-10-2010, 06:03 PM
JoeE, the KM-106 is out of Kenwood's rack system so it's not the best representative for Kenwood amps. Watt for watt the Adcom would still be better than Kenwood but their Basic amps and some of their integrated were far better than the KM series. Kenwood embraced and believed integrated amps were the way to go, some of them are very good.

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Bought a Adcom GFA535 yesterday, (off ebay, the seller lives about 35/40 miles from me. to go with the GFP 555II). Price for both was less than $180. Wondering how it will compare to my Cambridge Audio 640 A V2. Be fun to find out!

dakatabg
08-13-2010, 06:20 AM
luvtolisten, you got it right there and you got a deal for sure!

I hope you enjoy the Adcom gear!

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks Dak. The seller for the amp just contacted me, he has an identical one for sale too. Can these be bridged in any way, or is there any advantage to having 2 amps? (other than having one as a spare?)

poppachubby
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Bought a Adcom GFA535 yesterday, (off ebay, the seller lives about 35/40 miles from me. to go with the GFP 555II). Price for both was less than $180. Wondering how it will compare to my Cambridge Audio 640 A V2. Be fun to find out!

Congrats L2L!! I look forward to yourn opinions. We'll see how you and thekid match up. In regards to your Cambridge, I suspect it might not be better, but just different, which is always a good thing.

I forget, did you tell me what elose you were hooking up to this stuff?

02audionoob
08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks Dak. The seller for the amp just contacted me, he has an identical one for sale too. Can these be bridged in any way, or is there any advantage to having 2 amps? (other than having one as a spare?)

The GFA-535 doesn't have a bridging option, but you could use two in a bi-amping setup. You could run the GFP-555II's Main output to one GFA-535 and its Bypass outputs to another GFA-535. Then connect the two amps to bi-amp speakers.

poppachubby
08-13-2010, 10:35 AM
The GFA-535 doesn't have a bridging option, but you could use two in a bi-amping setup. You could run the GFP-555II's Main output to one GFA-535 and its Bypass outputs to another GFA-535. Then connect the two amps to bi-amp speakers.

Aside from the great technical advice, are you a fan of bi-amping noob? I would rather see a dual mono scenario, which IMO has a definite audible advantage. This is not possible here, if only the pre had dual outputs, he could send both lefts to one, and the rights to the other.

Cordially Yours, Poppachubby Esq.

thekid
08-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Well don't blame me when you end up loving that combo.......... :22:

Congrats I think you will really enjoy it!

You may already be aware of this review but if not you and the others can read what Stereophile mag thought of your amp when it was introduced.

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/adcom_gfa-535_power_amplifier/index.html

02audionoob
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Aside from the great technical advice, are you a fan of bi-amping noob? I would rather see a dual mono scenario, which IMO has a definite audible advantage. This is not possible here, if only the pre had dual outputs, he could send both lefts to one, and the rights to the other.

Cordially Yours, Poppachubby Esq.

The GFP-555II pre does have two sets of outputs, but the GFA-535 amps aren't set up for mono. That aside, I don't know how big a fan I am of this sort of version of bi-amping, anyway...this version being sans crossover. Adcom makes note of it in the manual for the GFP-555II, so I thought I'd mention it as one possible advantage of having two amps.

If you have two GFA-555II amps, you can bridge both and go dual mono. Get two GFA-565 amps and you have a dual-mono tower of power, to say the least.

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Congrats L2L!! I look forward to yourn opinions. We'll see how you and thekid match up. In regards to your Cambridge, I suspect it might not be better, but just different, which is always a good thing.

Thanks! You could be right, but I guessing they definitely will sound different from one another, which as you say is a good thing.It may just come down to personal taste

I forget, did you tell me what else you were hooking up to this stuff?

Yes, on page 14 of this thread. I meant to ask you again (forgot, sorry) what DAC are you running, and what was that chip series you liked?

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Well don't blame me when you end up loving that combo.......... :22:

Congrats I think you will really enjoy it!

You may already be aware of this review but if not you and the others can read what Stereophile mag thought of your amp when it was introduced.

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/adcom_gfa-535_power_amplifier/index.html

Thanks for posting about it in the first place. I got the GFP 555 II today! It looks better than I thought. There isn't as much paint overspray as in the picture on ebay. I'll experiment on a small spot to see if I can get it off. If not no biggie. Still happy!

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 03:50 PM
The GFP-555II pre does have two sets of outputs, but the GFA-535 amps aren't set up for mono. That aside, I don't know how big a fan I am of this sort of version of bi-amping, anyway...this version being sans crossover. Adcom makes note of it in the manual for the GFP-555II, so I thought I'd mention it as one possible advantage of having two amps.

If you have two GFA-555II amps, you can bridge both and go dual mono. Get two GFA-565 amps and you have a dual-mono tower of power, to say the least.

Thanks noob, and Poppa C too. From what I'm hearing, it really doesn't justify buying the other amp, I'm not a big fan of bi amping speakers, at least not with the speakers I have anyway.

Mr Peabody
08-13-2010, 04:22 PM
The best way to biamp with those amps would be what's called "vertical biamping". Take the left preamp out to a Y adaptor running one leg to each input of one 535, hooking one of the 535 speaker terminals to highs and the other to low end. Then do the same with the right. You are effectively creating a monoblock as one amp will be running each channel, as well as getting some benefit from biamping. The vertical biamping itself should give some what better sound stage but I can't really tell you for sure if it's worth the extra money.

For $180.00 you have a great combo. I am really looking forward to hearing your comparison against the 640.

Mr Peabody
08-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Be careful, only preamp outputs can be used for biamping. Bypass or monitor outs will not allow any volume control.

poppachubby
08-13-2010, 04:28 PM
I meant to ask you again (forgot, sorry) what DAC are you running, and what was that chip series you liked?

A Philips TDA 1543 Non-Over Sampling dac. Here is a fave of mine...

http://www.pacificvalve.us/LITEDACAH.html

02audionoob
08-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Be careful, only preamp outputs can be used for biamping. Bypass or monitor outs will not allow any volume control.

You're misunderstanding what the Bypass output does on the GFP-555II. All it does is bypass the tone controls and filter switches.

The best way to biamp with those amps would be what's called "vertical biamping". Take the left preamp out to a Y adaptor running one leg to each input of one 535, hooking one of the 535 speaker terminals to highs and the other to low end. Then do the same with the right. You are effectively creating a monoblock as one amp will be running each channel, as well as getting some benefit from biamping. The vertical biamping itself should give some what better sound stage but I can't really tell you for sure if it's worth the extra money.

For $180.00 you have a great combo. I am really looking forward to hearing your comparison against the 640.

Why would you need a splitter on the left output and a splitter on the right output when you have two lefts and two rights?

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Thank you Mr. P.,good idea as far as how to use them as mono amps.
I knew the monitor outputs had that effect, but I thought "bypass" was just for the tone controls only. Thanks for sending that along, I may have done a bad thing! Why are is there a "bypass " anyway?

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Oops I see noob just posted too. Thanks noob.

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 04:51 PM
A Philips TDA 1543 Non-Over Sampling dac. Here is a fave of mine...

http://www.pacificvalve.us/LITEDACAH.html

Sweet! This time I bookmarked it. I am using a laptop, is ther a device that you know of that converts usb to coax or optical?

poppachubby
08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Sweet! This time I bookmarked it. I am using a laptop, is ther a device that you know of that converts usb to coax or optical?

Yes... http://www.pacificvalve.us/M2TechHiFace.html

But there are some USB options with the 1543 chip, you can find them cheaper than this... http://www.mood-lab.com/dice.htm

luvtolisten
08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Wow, I didn't think such an adapter existed. Very cool, thanks!

thekid
08-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Found these on CL today for $20. They were part of an iPod system that Klipsch made a few years back. Unfortunately the subwoofer that came with them appears to be dead. Hooked them up briefly and while I would not say they could used as the fronts in a real set-up they seemed to sound a bit better than the Minimus 7's. Probably with a sub they could hold their own with alot of other speakers.

Here is a link to a review of them a few years back.

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/405843/review/ifi.html

poppachubby
08-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Well they got 4 out of 5 mice, so they must be good! haha...

What will you use them for, a comp system? They look interesting, how big are they? They look like really beefy computer speakers, am I right?

What did you use to listen to them?

thekid
08-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Well they got 4 out of 5 mice, so they must be good! haha...

What will you use them for, a comp system? They look interesting, how big are they? They look like really beefy computer speakers, am I right?

What did you use to listen to them?

Not sure what I am doing with them. I was really picking this up hoping to use it as a mini-iPod unit for my wife. They are fairly big and not quite what I would call a computer speaker. They weigh about 4lbs each and have a 3.5" woofer and 3/4" Micro-Tractrix Horn. The stands are really high quality and could even be wall mounted. They are RSX-3's and appear to be currently used by Klipsch in several of their HTIB systems.

luvtolisten
08-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Nice find Kid! Today I bought a pair of EPI 201's for $16 (garage sale). I didn't ohm it out yet,(I haven't hooked them up, to big to move around and I'm sure they'll need new caps) but the drivers have rubber surrounds (still good) each woofer moves in and out as I gently push on it. I also bought a pair of Epicure 10's, the cabinets are toast, the woofers need foam but for $12 I couldn't pass it up, just for the parts They are similar to the EPI 100's, (same drivers) only the woofer is off centered, closer to the tweeter which is postioned lower than on the 100's. I have 2 pair of 100's, one pair the doesn't have the orignal woofers, I thought I would re-foam these and use them. The 201's have a switch on the back for 16 ohms and 4 ohms, I assume it's to play the two set of drivers in each speaker in parallel or in series.

thekid
08-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice find Kid! Today I bought a pair of EPI 201's for $16 (garage sale). I didn't ohm it out yet,(I haven't hooked them up, to big to move around and I'm sure they'll need new caps) but the drivers have rubber surrounds (still good) each woofer moves in and out as I gently push on it. I also bought a pair of Epicure 10's, the cabinets are toast, the woofers need foam but for $12 I couldn't pass it up, just for the parts They are similar to the EPI 100's, (same drivers) only the woofer is off centered, closer to the tweeter which is postioned lower than on the 100's. I have 2 pair of 100's, one pair the doesn't have the orignal woofers, I thought I would re-foam these and use them. The 201's have a switch on the back for 16 ohms and 4 ohms, I assume it's to play the two set of drivers in each speaker in parallel or in series.

LTL

Great pick up!
If you are not familiar with EPI I think you will be impressed after giving them a listen. Be careful around those rubber surrounds they do get brittle with age and will crack on you. I look forward on your thought on the 201's I passed on a pair a couple of months ago that were at a local thrift. Still wonder what it would have sounded like to have a pair of 201's with my 100's stacked on top......

luvtolisten
08-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks Kid. Good point about the rubber surrounds, I have to shop by an auto shop and see if i can get some type of rubber restorer to slow the process down. You got me thinking about stacking them with the 100's, but I can't because the 201 have a set of drivers on top, but maybe in parallel, side by side......with the Adcom preamp and amp, I'll be having a ball! It's Christmas in August!
I was pleasantly surprised about a year ago when I got my first pair of vintage speakers, the EPI 100's, how good they sound, especially after replacing the caps. Now I'm hooked. I'm having the same problem you have, running out of space, I need a bigger house. These 201's were like the "Christmas tree syndrome". They sure looked a lot smaller outside in the seller's driveway.:D

thekid
08-14-2010, 07:14 PM
I think these sound better than the Minimus 7W's so in with the new out with the old. High WAF which is always a plus.......:22:

dakatabg
08-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I see the AR members are rolling today with new items!

luvtolisten
08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
I think these sound better than the Minimus 7W's so in with the new out with the old. High WAF which is always a plus.......:22:

Lookin' good! Love those vintage silver face receivers.They do match well together. A friend of mine had a similar pair of Klipsch in his office, nice sounding.

luvtolisten
08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I see the AR members are rolling today with new items!

Hey, where's yours? What happened, did you get grounded?:smilewinkgrin:
Oh I know you'll be back, with a vengence!

dakatabg
08-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey, where's yours? What happened, did you get grounded?:smilewinkgrin:
Oh I know you'll be back, with a vengence!

Right now I am in process of enjoying what I have ::2: but one day I will appear with something new

poppachubby
08-15-2010, 01:52 AM
kid that combo looks stellar. Silver with silver, nice.

Hey L2L, are you familiar with Human? He builds EPI/Gensis inspired speakers, but also repairs and services the old stuff. He was an employee at Genesis and when they went under, he bought all of what was left at auction. Good info there and he is available through email.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/index.html

luvtolisten
08-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Thank you PoppaC, yes I am famaliar with that website, lots of good info there.

luvtolisten
08-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Right now I am in process of enjoying what I have ::2: but one day I will appear with something new

Nothing wrong with that, you have a lot of great stuff to choose from. I do look froward to your next "find".

thekid
08-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Restless soul on contented ears.......

Okay I did not need this and I am sure I am set with pre-amps but for $10 what the heck....
This is a Thalia pre from the maker of Ampzilla.
Will give it a test run tomorrow but if anyone knows it feel free to share your opinion.

dakatabg
08-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Never heard this brand but It looks good and I guess it will sound good. You will tell us tomorrow when you hook it up!

poppachubby
08-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Dang, ten bucks? Looks like a real business machine. Maybe it will best the Adcom? I am dying to know...

thekid
08-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Never heard this brand but It looks good and I guess it will sound good. You will tell us tomorrow when you hook it up!

The brand is actually called GAS for Great American Sound. The designer James Bongiorno has a very interesting history and has worked on the development of several good pieces of gear over the years,

http://www.ampzilla2000.com/James_Bongiorno.html

dakatabg
08-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks thekid for the info, I checked the site and I see they have a very nice power amp!

Mr Peabody
08-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, that might turn out to be the best $10.00 you spent.

poppachubby
08-15-2010, 07:10 PM
kid, where did you get it?!? I thought my Bozak was a steal at $120. It's REALLY hard to find quality pre amps for a good price. That thing might be one of your greatest scores yet! I bet it sounds better than the Adcom...

luvtolisten
08-16-2010, 04:03 AM
You stole it!! Great find Kid, Congrats! Like to hear you thoughts as compared to the Adcom.

dakatabg
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Today I grabbed another Kenwood GE-1100! I have the same one but for 30 bucks in mint condition I just couldn't pass it! I called the guy and I was the lucky one to get it! So now I have 2 of them!

http://i35.tinypic.com/35b8apl.jpg

luvtolisten
08-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice grab Dak! I really like that display. I knew you would be back with a vengence!:14:

dakatabg
08-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Well I have the same one so it is nothing special for me but for $30 and in mint condition I doubt someone will pass it!

luvtolisten
08-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Don't blame ya, not for $30. What are the buttons on the botton for?( I can't make out the wrting above them).

dakatabg
08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
They are for the reverb. You see the blue display down there, the levels are to control it, they are for making echo noise like you are in a hallway! It is pretty cool option but I don't use it much!

luvtolisten
08-16-2010, 02:44 PM
They are for the reverb. You see the blue display down there, the levels are to control it, they are for making echo noise like you are in a hallway! It is pretty cool option but I don't use it much!
Yes, okay, I do remember that effect. A friend of mine had it on Fisher receiver (back when Fisher was considered top notch late 60's). There was a popular song back from the 60's by the Dave Clark 5, "Anyway You Want It" which used that effect.

dakatabg
08-16-2010, 02:50 PM
You mean this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH1JEI79emU

luvtolisten
08-16-2010, 03:29 PM
You mean this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH1JEI79emU

That's it! DC 5 was one of my most favorite groups from the "British Invasion". Still sounds good to me. I love the way that beat comes right at you. Thanks for posting it.

thekid
08-16-2010, 03:57 PM
kid, where did you get it?!? I thought my Bozak was a steal at $120. It's REALLY hard to find quality pre amps for a good price. That thing might be one of your greatest scores yet! I bet it sounds better than the Adcom...

It was a CL find.
It was just listed as a pre-amp with no other info listed.

It is always a bit of a gamble if the picture makes it look a like a score but you ask for info. Sometimes the person who does know what they have then looks it up on the web and realizes they are holding something special. Fortunately for me more people who I have got my best scores are just not that into stereo or are more interested in a sale.

poppachubby
08-16-2010, 05:03 PM
It was a CL find.
It was just listed as a pre-amp with no other info listed.

It is always a bit of a gamble if the picture makes it look a like a score but you ask for info. Sometimes the person who does know what they have then looks it up on the web and realizes they are holding something special. Fortunately for me more people who I have got my best scores are just not that into stereo or are more interested in a sale.

I had this happen about a month or 2 ago. I happened onto a nice, but not the best pair of Sound Dynamics w/ stands for $50. He was renovating his living room and wanted them gone. I replied quickly and asked him to hold them til later in the day. Within an hour he had removed the ad, and replaced it with a new one...for $100.

What can ya do? At that price point my interest dropped, although I imagine he sold them no issue.

Mr Peabody
08-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Wasn't the GE-1100 in the Basic line?

thekid
08-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, that might turn out to be the best $10.00 you spent.

Mr.P

I think you are absolutely right!!!!!

I was only able to get about 30 minutes of listening in because we have company staying and I was told to stop hiding out in the garage.... Very preliminary impression.

I took it out to the garage system and tentaviely hooked it since they amp connection does not use the regular Right/Left designation. I guessed that the bottom cinput was for the right channel and the top was the left. Anyway the amp used was nothing special a Kenwood KM-209 and the first pair of speakers I tested it with was a pair of Genesis 10's. It was immediately apparent that this pre was doing things with these speakers I have never heard before. Crystal clear imaging at a very low volume setting. Just thinking about increasing volume added sound-extremely sensitive volume control which in the wrong hands could easily blow speakers out. The Cd I was listening to was not challenging and rather pedestrian but sounded very lively and crisp. Seemed to be very accurate and tested the full range limits of the speakers. Did not try to make the speakers do more-no distortion or shrillness even when you pushed the control levels to the extreme. One the pre took the speakers to their limits it just leveled off as if the tone controls has reached their end. I then switched over to a pair of Polk Monitor 10's which have a large passive radiator bass and this piece reached way down and brought out deep clear bass.

I need to try some other music on it and really put it through its paces. Would also like to give it a sustained listening to make sure their are no issues. I also have to find some replacement buttons. Am dying to know how it will sound in the main system but the sensitive volume control worries me. My wife has a tendency to forget how to power up the gear and starts turning knobs. If she were to turn the volume knob too high and then apply power I can see her frying my Heresy's...... :(

dakatabg
08-16-2010, 06:28 PM

I am not sure but it is top of the line EQ that Kenwood ever made!

thekid
08-16-2010, 06:28 PM

I don't think so. It was matched with the Kenwood KA-1100SD which is an intergrated amp but kind of looks like an Basic M1 merged with a Basic pre and uses the Linear Direct Drive like some of the early Basic amps. I picked up an GE-1100 and a KA-1100SD along with a Nak deck and some other gear for $25 at a garage sale back in the Spring. :D

poppachubby
08-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Mr.P

I think you are absolutely right!!!!!

I was only able to get about 30 minutes of listening in because we have company staying and I was told to stop hiding out in the garage.... Very preliminary impression.

:(

I would trust your gut here. Your revelation sounds like the same experience with my Bozak. I'm excited for you, I know how great a difference a truly high end pre can make in voicing your system, and it sounds like you've landed on one.

I'll say it again, take some time and PLEASE compare it to the Adcom and Basic gear. I know you're unfamiliar with the Adcom, so even if it takes a month or so, report back.

Regarding the hot gain control. My EICO HF-85 has an infamously hot gain knob. I think you're quite right in considering others who may use it, forget and blow up your speakers. You will grow accustomed to using it however.

Great stuff man.

E-Stat
08-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Today I grabbed another Kenwood GE-1100! I have the same one but for 30 bucks in mint condition I just couldn't pass it! I called the guy and I was the lucky one to get it! So now I have 2 of them!
Tell us you never use that grotesque correction curve.

rw

dakatabg
08-16-2010, 07:08 PM

rw

I don't know that saying, what do you mean by that?

Mr Peabody
08-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Dak, E-stat was referring to where the EQ settings were set at.

dakatabg
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
I got it now!

poppachubby
08-17-2010, 01:45 AM

rw

Ouch Ralph.

02audionoob
08-17-2010, 03:57 AM
I was quizzing Dak about the tone control settings on his Marantz, too. Some people like it a little different. :)

E-Stat
08-17-2010, 05:06 AM
I got it now!
Not trying to be mean, but that would sound awful on any system. If the resulting response was a straight line as the lights indicate it would be one thing, but that is not how EQs work. Each boost creates a peak centered at the primary frequency with troughs on either side located 6 db, 12 db or whatever apart. Which results in a series of up and down sine waves all along the bandwidth.

rw

dakatabg
08-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Not trying to be mean, but that would sound awful on any system. If the resulting response was a straight line as the lights indicate it would be one thing, but that is not how EQs work. Each boost creates a peak centered at the primary frequency with troughs on either side located 6 db, 12 db or whatever apart. Which results in a series of up and down sine waves all along the bandwidth.

rw

You are not trying to be mean and even if you are, I have you guys like friends here so I don't respond back with something bad too :)

I was lazy so I downloaded the picture online so that is not my original picture of my EQ. Since they are exactly the same I just got it online. I will never set up the levels like that either!

Feanor
08-17-2010, 07:32 AM

rw
You're just telling it like it is, 'Stat.

Here's what I use to correct the Minimus 7's attache to my computer. This is the Electri-Q digital equalizer, here a Foobar2000 add-in. The dots are the nominal EQ settings; the solid line the net result.

Unlike analog EQs, Electri-Q does not produce phase shifts which are inevitable in the case of analog.

poppachubby
08-17-2010, 08:54 AM
From my good buddy John Micheal

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4901293811_5be86065f8_z.jpg

dakatabg
08-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Good stuff poppa. Cables upgrades are good and big improve on the system!

E-Stat
08-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Here's what I use to correct the Minimus 7's attache to my computer. This is the Electri-Q digital equalizer, here a Foobar2000 add-in. The dots are the nominal EQ settings; the solid line the net result.
Now, those settings look like great corrections to tame the upper midrange/lower highs peak and supplement the tiny woofer's low end response in a linear fashion. Well done!

rw

poppachubby
08-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks dak, I feel I am at a place where this upgrade will make an audible difference.

thekid
08-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Could not let Poppa C have all the fun this weekend........ :D

Found this NHT sub in good shape but the major drawback to it is the outboard controller is missing and the only connection is a 8-Pin Din connection. Not sure if I can use an adapter to hook it up to my HT amp.

Updating this post a bit though it does not really meet the criteria for a "new find" since I ordered it from the factory.....

The outboard amp arrived today and is in place. Very musical sub. Clear and low bass without any boominess. really mates well in with the Time Windows which can now focus on the mids and highs which is where they excel.

luvtolisten
08-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Kid, is the crossover built in here too or is it in the sub? Always fun to have a new toy, glad to hear the results are positive.

thekid
08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Kid, is the crossover built in here too or is it in the sub? Always fun to have a new toy, glad to hear the results are positive.

The X-over switch is in the back as well as a loudness boost but I use the receiver to set the x-over. There are actually no controls at all on the sub except the power switch.

thekid
08-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Thought I'd update this thread with a pic of the Thalia now that I found the replacement buttons.

Great pre that has opened my eyes to the quality of GAS gear.

poppachubby
08-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Nice. Where'd you get the buttons? Are they OEM? How about some more input regarding the pre?

thekid
08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Nice. Where'd you get the buttons? Are they OEM? How about some more input regarding the pre?

From a guy who specializes in rehabbing GAS gear, They are all original buttons.
I am not very good at describing things fom an audio POV. All I can is that it produces the clearest most revealing sound I have heard. I hear sounds I have never heard on CD's I have been listening to for years. Any weakness in the engineering of the source material is uncovered but excellent recordings such as Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" are just incredible. Coupled with the Nak deck tapes sound almost like CD's with none of the hiss associated with tape.

luvtolisten
08-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Nice Kid, sounds like you are really enjoying it! I never heard of Thalia before, Ampzilla yes, a friend of mine had an amp back in the 70's, which had very good sound to it.

dakatabg
08-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I am back! Today I got one Project One Mark IC receiver! that is my first receiver of that brand! Very nice sounding!

http://i34.tinypic.com/242d2yx.jpg

Geoffcin
08-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I am back! Today I got one Project One Mark IC receiver! that is my first receiver of that brand! Very nice sounding!

http://i34.tinypic.com/242d2yx.jpg

Cool, reminds me of a vintage Technics;

dakatabg
08-27-2010, 12:41 PM
It really looks like a Technics but it sounds a little bit better that the technics I have

thekid
08-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Got an early start to hitting the thrifts this weekend by picking up this little gem at the local GW for the princely sum of $10.25. Cleaned up well and already have it up and running with the main set-up. Pretty beefy piece that is functioning perfectly. I need to find a dust cover that will fit over it but that should not be too much of a problem.

dakatabg
08-28-2010, 08:11 PM
So today I was searching on craigslist and I saw someone selling a Kenwood. On the title it was saying only Kenwood and inside the add was only stereo control! I emailed the guy and I found out it was a Basic C1 preamp. So today for $20 I got home with the Basic C1 in perfectly working and cosmetic condition! Now I have 2 of them!

poppachubby
08-29-2010, 02:24 AM
So today I was searching on craigslist and I saw someone selling a Kenwood. On the title it was saying only Kenwood and inside the add was only stereo control! I emailed the guy and I found out it was a Basic C1 preamp. So today for $20 I got home with the Basic C1 in perfectly working and cosmetic condition! Now I have 2 of them!

Great pick up dak!! You should sell it to someone in need here at AR or at AK. Are you aware of Barter Town at AK? If you are a subscriber, which requires a $25 fee, you can gain access to it. Someone like you would do well there, buying and selling. Everyone at AK prides themselves on honesty and trustworthiness.

poppachubby
08-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Got an early start to hitting the thrifts this weekend by picking up this little gem at the local GW for the princely sum of $10.25. Cleaned up well and already have it up and running with the main set-up. Pretty beefy piece that is functioning perfectly. I need to find a dust cover that will fit over it but that should not be too much of a problem.

Still enjoying your table kid? I have a PL-516, belt driven with less automatic features. It's a solid spinner.

thekid
08-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Still enjoying your table kid? I have a PL-516, belt driven with less automatic features. It's a solid spinner.

I am but not for long.
My brother (AK member BStable) has a Pioneer Spec system and he is looking for a TT that would go with it. So I thought I'd do the brotherly thing and give it to him. Debating whether I should pick up a Technics SL-1300 today off of CL for $20.

dakatabg
08-29-2010, 03:26 AM
Great pick up dak!! You should sell it to someone in need here at AR or at AK. Are you aware of Barter Town at AK? If you are a subscriber, which requires a $25 fee, you can gain access to it. Someone like you would do well there, buying and selling. Everyone at AK prides themselves on honesty and trustworthiness.

I know about this subscribing thing and I am thinking soon to do that!

luvtolisten
08-29-2010, 04:19 AM
I am but not for long.
My brother (AK member BStable) has a Pioneer Spec system and he is looking for a TT that would go with it. So I thought I'd do the brotherly thing and give it to him. Debating whether I should pick up a Technics SL-1300 today off of CL for $20.

That sounds like a great deal. I bought a budget Technics years ago SL-BD22 new and although it was the budget model, still works like a charm. I see ebay has a BIN price of $90 for the SL-1300. Back in the day most of the Technics TT were rated well, probably the company's strong point IMO.

luvtolisten
08-29-2010, 04:20 AM

Another nice pick up, Dak. The rich just get richer!:thumbsup: Nice pick up on the Project One receiver too. I love those silver face receivers of yesteryear,

poppachubby
08-29-2010, 08:16 AM
I am but not for long.

That's a no brainer. In fact kid, you could mod this deck if you wanted. I would suggest a better arm and there are other upgrades available through KAB. I highly rec that you try to increase your phono ability.

thekid
08-29-2010, 11:05 AM
That's a no brainer. In fact kid, you could mod this deck if you wanted. I would suggest a better arm and there are other upgrades available through KAB. I highly rec that you try to increase your phono ability.

Well I have lost my mind......
Went ahead and picked up the 1300 and the Pioneer will be moving into my brother's Pioneer Spec system. They seem to be very close sound wise plus the 1300 came with the original dust cover which is in pretty good shape for the age (no cracks or significant scratches. Already have it in place with a Pickering XV-15 cartridge that I had lying around. Very quite table with not a hint of hum or rumble. Putting it through it's paces with a copy of "Secret Policeman's Ball" that I picked up a couple of days ago.

Pretty good weekend finding about $200 worth of TT's for $30..... :thumbsup:

poppachubby
08-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Great stuff!! That 1300 is much better than the Pioneer. Careful with the dustcover. If it has the plastic molded hinges, they are prone to breaking. Google SL 1300 mods..

dakatabg
08-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Thekid I see you are rolling this week with new record players!

luvtolisten
08-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Geesh, it looks brand new!!

Mr Peabody
08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
This may or may not go here but I am working on getting a Parasound hca-750 from CL and I picked up a Bryston 3B st off Audiogon. I wish it was as cheap as you all find. The HCA-750 is pretty reasonable. It has gain controls and bridgeable so I will be looking for another. I plan to use the 3B with the USP-1 to see what happens and will eventually play with biamping the Heresy's using both amps.

thekid
08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys

I doubt I'll be able to top finding two tables of this quality in the same weekend for sometime.

Mr. P

It looks like you might have found a nice CL score. Unusual to find something of that quality on CL. I eagerly await your trial with Bi-amping the Heresy's

Mr Peabody
08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
This weekend a few good amps showed up, a guy had a current model Rotel 1582 power amp for $500.00, 200x2 and MSRP about $1599.00. I was tempted but really don't have a need for it. If it was on there before I ordered the 3B I may have jumped on it. A couple small Adcom too.

thekid
08-30-2010, 01:56 AM
This weekend a few good amps showed up, a guy had a current model Rotel 1582 power amp for $500.00, 200x2 and MSRP about $1599.00. I was tempted but really don't have a need for it. If it was on there before I ordered the 3B I may have jumped on it. A couple small Adcom too.

Some high end stuff does make it on there. A pair of Vandersteen 2C's just popped up here for only $200. You don't hear alot about Vandersteen but Stereophile mag liked these a few years back. My guss is they will either go quickly at that price or sit awhile because not many people will recognize the name.

Mr Peabody
08-30-2010, 05:20 PM
To be nice, Vandersteen would be an acquired taste, in my opinion they are the epitomy of "colored" and the negative meaning of "warm".

thekid
08-30-2010, 05:59 PM
To be nice, Vandersteen would be an acquired taste, in my opinion they are the epitomy of "colored" and the negative meaning of "warm".

Glad to hear that.
I won't worry about not having the cash to pick them up.

dakatabg
09-04-2010, 03:08 PM
This is my first touch with the brand Lafayette model LR-2200. I have seen it only online but today I grabbed a receiver! Very nice warm sound! Does anyone know if this brand is good and what is the history?

http://i53.tinypic.com/24fd81w.jpg

thekid
09-04-2010, 04:29 PM
This is my first touch with the brand Lafayette model LR-2200. I have seen it only online but today I grabbed a receiver! Very nice warm sound! Does anyone know if this brand is good and what is the history?

Lafayette Radio (the LR in the model you have) IIRC was a direct competitor with Radio Shack in certain areas of the country back in the 60's and 70's. They were large enough to have outside sources make gear for them and have re-badged under the Lafayette name. I had a quad unit that had Gladding on the name plate but was made by the same people who made a similar version for Lafayette so by the transitive property of audio I have listened to a Lafayette..... :).

The Gladding was built like a tank and could send 25 watts to each of the 4-channels. Yours I think is a quad and is identical to my Gladding. In doing my research I did run into many positive comments about the LR- 2200. It looks like you have a clean piece there-enjoy!

This link might be a good place to look around for info

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?12545-Obscure-QUADRAPHONIC-RECEIVERS-amp-AMPS....any-good

dakatabg
09-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks thekid. By the way I am working on getting Kenwood KA-6000 amp!

luvtolisten
09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Nice pick up Dak. I remember Lafayette stores as Kid said they were in competition with Radio Shack. I always thought Lafayette was better quality. I bought my first pair of car speakers from them. (late 60's I had a 61 Chevy made before stereo was a stock item, I had to install my own trusty 8 track , which really wasn't so trusty :D)

dakatabg
09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I have it hooked up with Realistic Minimus-7 bookshelf speakers and it sounds great with them!

dakatabg
09-06-2010, 02:34 PM
I went to a feast today and someone was taking the opportunity to have a garage sale! So I parked the car and we are walking and I saw the garage sale and I see a silver receiver with speakers on a table! Something in my heart jumped and I had to go check it out! Well Kenwood KR-720. They wanted 15 for it but I got it for $10! It is in great condition and working! I love the analog and at the same time digital tuner! Sounds pretty good so that is my new score today! The speakers were very cheap Soundesign so I passed on them!

http://i52.tinypic.com/2s8fyxd.jpg

poppachubby
09-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Looks minty. For $10 great grab.

thekid
09-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Daks

Looks like a nice little 30-40 wpc receiver.
Are you going to use it or add it to the stack?

dakatabg
09-06-2010, 03:55 PM
I have it hooked up with Pioneer bookshelf speakers and I will use it probably in the garage. I have a newer one there but I am into the silver faces. I really like the analog and digital tuner. I have seen some of the Sansui G series beasts have it!

Charlie04SiR
09-06-2010, 05:48 PM
hey Dak! I got your friend request and I see you signed up over at the "other" audio forum. :D

Very Cool Kenwood!

My newest find is not as flashy as yours, just a lowly Marantz 2500. :D
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/CharlieHorse1992/Picture081.jpg

dakatabg
09-06-2010, 05:59 PM
You got it good man! I am looking to get a powerful Marantz but not a good deal so far!

Yeah I registered at the AK and I am on both sides now, here and there!

Feanor
09-07-2010, 04:20 AM
My newest find is not as flashy as yours, just a lowly Marantz 2500. :D
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/CharlieHorse1992/Picture081.jpg
Haha! :lol: :p

Congrats. Does the 'scope work?

dakatabg
09-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I got a Harman Kardon 300C and this one is worth keeping. Minty. I was reading a lot online about those receivers and finally I got one!

http://i56.tinypic.com/20s9f7t.jpg

luvtolisten
09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Nice! I have the 430. The tuners in those are special. Better range than without an antenna my NAD T754 with one!. The "c" series was the best looking IMO of the 330's.

Charlie04SiR
09-10-2010, 05:14 AM
Haha! :lol: :p

Congrats. Does the 'scope work? Hey Feanor, yeppers, she sure does. It sure does look pretty when lit. Currently the 2500 is in the shop being restored. When I get it back, I will be glad to post some pics of it working.

Feanor
09-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey Feanor, yeppers, she sure does. It sure does look pretty when lit. Currently the 2500 is in the shop being restored. When I get it back, I will be glad to post some pics of it working.
That's great! What sort of restoration work will be done?

thekid
09-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Despite my best efforts to reduce the gear I have I still come across something I cannot let go. Found this Sony DVP-NS755V player for $25. Not better than the Oppo I picked up for the same price a couple of months ago but for use as a SACD player it seems to be well regarded. Will add this to the main system just to play my meager (but growing ) SACD collection.

dakatabg
09-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Very nice thekid, you got it on a very good price! Today I got a set of Kenwood goodies like Kenwood KM-106 power amp, KC-106 preamp, tuner and cassette deck all in the original boxes and with the manuals for $40. All are minty. I won't post any pictures because everyone knows them. I have 2 of each now but for that price I couldn't pass it.

luvtolisten
09-13-2010, 05:16 AM
Man, both you guys have a knack for being at the right place at the right time. Nice pick ups!

I remember coming across a link a while ago, which told you what DAC chips were used in what CD player. Unfortuantely I lost it. Anyone here seen it?

poppachubby
09-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Man, both you guys have a knack for being at the right place at the right time. Nice pick ups!

I remember coming across a link a while ago, which told you what DAC chips were used in what CD player. Unfortuantely I lost it. Anyone here seen it?

http://vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-players/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

luvtolisten
09-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Thank you Chubbs! that's the one I was thinking of.

dakatabg
09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Well I am back today with another minty vintage piece! Kenwood KA-6000 like new. I gave it a good cleaning and cleaned the pots and switches. Sounds great, surprisingly it has bigger capacitors than the other Kenwood amps that are more powerful than this one! Here are few big pictures!!!

http://i54.tinypic.com/aoaq90.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/11kxgcz.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2lsxms.jpg

thekid
09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
http://vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-players/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

Thanks Pops.
I was trying to find it myself just to see what chips were in the Sony. I am sure you or others more versed in chips and CD tech could explain it but I find it a bit odd that the Sony could be considered an average CD player but be so well thought as SACD player. Not going to loose sleep over since I have Sony 77ES for regular CD's.

dakatabg
09-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Another score today. Pioneer SX-650 Receiver.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2llde87.jpg

thekid
09-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Daks

Put another notch in your belt.
I love the SX line from that era.

Enochrome
09-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the 650 club!!! Poppa and I love ours. It has a huge
warm tone and the phono stage is great, especially for acoustic and jazz.
I like the look too! Top build, The classy orangish glow, much better then 680
or any of the 80's series. I like how all the inputs are laid flat on their own panel.

Good find!!

poppachubby
09-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Indeed, great find dak. That receiver has a special sound, open and airy, just a bit warmer than neutral. Very listenable.

dakatabg
09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I like it but there is one thing that bothers me, it has many scratches at the top and the wood case is falling apart on the back. I know the sounds matter the most but I like all my gears to be mint or near mint. I will keep it for now till I find a better Pioneer. Not many for sale here in Chicago's craigslist

Mr Peabody
09-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I've seen some 750's & 850's on our local CL but people are asking crazy money for them.

dakatabg
09-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I've seen some 750's & 850's on our local CL but people are asking crazy money for them.

Same story here, they as way too much

thekid
09-19-2010, 01:40 PM
I like it but there is one thing that bothers me, it has many scratches at the top and the wood case is falling apart on the back. I know the sounds matter the most but I like all my gears to be mint or near mint. I will keep it for now till I find a better Pioneer. Not many for sale here in Chicago's craigslist

I know the case configuration is not quite the same as on my 850 but you might want to try and build your own. It might make a nice DIY project. If the top only has some scratches you might want to try some 0000 steel wool and Howard's Restor-A-Finish. It will not remove deep gouges but it works miracles on light surface scratches.

dakatabg
09-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I know the case configuration is not quite the same as on my 850 but you might want to try and build your own. It might make a nice DIY project. If the top only has some scratches you might want to try some 0000 steel wool and Howard's Restor-A-Finish. It will not remove deep gouges but it works miracles on light surface scratches.

Thanks thekid but there are very deep scratches on the silver face at the top!

thekid
09-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Could not help myself when I saw this Infinity CC-3 sitting on the shelf for $20. Solidly built and it has small footprint so I am going to give it a shot in the main HT set up to see how it works. Has tone controls on the back so I think I can tweak it some to match the tone of the DCM's.

dakatabg
09-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Nice score. I had a set of Infinity surround speakers and the center was very simiral if not the same with the one you just got. You would love how they sound. I ended up selling the whole set to a friend.

luvtolisten
09-26-2010, 05:02 AM
I bought these Bose 2.2's Friday at a garage sale for $3. (Picture stolen from ebay). They are in great shape, and sound half way decent, like the older Bose. My first system back in the early 70's I had a pair of 301's. A year and a half ago I bought the 301 series V (sentimental reasons I guess) online and was very disappointed with the sound as well as the build quality (mostly plastic). I ended up giving them to my girlfriend's son. ((even though I gave him a choice between a pair of Infinity Beta 20's, Paradigm Titians, or Polk Monitor 40's). These sound a lot more similar to my original 301's, not great, but not terrible either. Just fun!

dakatabg
09-26-2010, 05:25 AM
For $3 and Bose speakers, many people will say wow, only 3 bucks. You can't beat the price. I will agree with you regarding the Bose sound quality. I have owned 301 IV Series, 601 towers, 141 bookshelfs and I never liked the sound of Bose. Many people say they are great speakers and they like them but not me.

JoeE SP9
09-26-2010, 10:05 AM
That's because they are not great speakers. At best they are mediocre.

Mr Peabody
09-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I can't remember how much the original 301's were but I thought they were decent bookshelf speakers, an actual 2-way with the dial on the side to tilt the tweeter up or down. Back then I was way too young to know what good sound was but the 301's were better than what I had at the time. My first actual hi fi set up was a Realistic receiver and a set of those cheap Centrex speakers built by Pioneer.

luvtolisten
09-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm not a Bose-basher, but I do think all their products are GROSSLY overpriced.
Mr. P, I remember I paid $178 pr for my 301's in the 70's (with the vane). The receiver I bought was a Sony STR 7015 (18 watts) and a BIC 960 turntable with a Shure M91ED cartridge. My first system from the ceramic cartridges. Everything I bought was a "Best Buy" from a leading consumer magazine, except the receiver.which was a Harman Kardon 330. They were back ordered at the time, but I was happy with the Sony.

fishbones
09-28-2010, 06:27 PM

New member here so first post, but I had to comment on your find. I grew up with this receiver and remember many years worth of fond memories enjoying music through it. In fact, I was rummaging through the garage cabinets of my mothers house recently trying to find it, because it's a shame to waste, but she has no idea what happened to it and I couldn't find it unfortunately. Hopefully someone's enjoying it.

Enjoy!
Troy

budgetaudio76
09-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Sansui 7500a for 20 bucks

Tannoy Mallorcans for 50 bucks. Gold in them i say!

M&K sub/sat for 54 bucks? Heck yeah their coming home!

But the best one is the Mallorcan. And to think i didnt have the money for them. Had an hour to come up with the funds!

thekid
09-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Sansui 7500a for 20 bucks

Tannoy Mallorcans for 50 bucks. Gold in them i say!

M&K sub/sat for 54 bucks? Heck yeah their coming home!

But the best one is the Mallorcan. And to think i didnt have the money for them. Had an hour to come up with the funds!

Congrats- Sansui from that era is something special.
Please post pics when you get everything home.

dakatabg
09-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Yeah, post same pictures, I would like to see the sub and the Sansui receiver!

budgetaudio76
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
ive had the sui for about a year or so now. And the tannoys in the last two weeks.

ill go about posting photos after a while. Gotta figure out which photos they are.

E-Stat
09-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Threshold 800A (http://cgi.ebay.com/Threshold-Model-800A-Stereo-Amplifier-Nelson-Pass-/190449575773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c57ade75d)

If I had money to burn, I'd love to have one of these (no connection to seller!). I vividly remember this innovative first design of Nelson Pass back in 1975. The dealer who taught me quite a bit when I was in high school (and later worked for) had one of these. It was a unique combination of workhorse drive-any-load-you-can-throw-at-it (including the poster child for torture, the Dayton-Wright electrostatic) with a level of refinement unknown to high powered solid state amps at the time. It introduced the concept of sliding Class A operation commonly used today. With its forty-eight 150 watt device output stage, protection circuitry (and its audible effects) was rendered unnecessary after discovering that removing it had no effect on reliability.

More (http://www.hifi-museum.com/lib/threshold_lib/800a_bro.pdf) about the 800A.

rw

dakatabg
09-30-2010, 03:38 PM
200wpc that is a lot of power! I wouldn't mind one too E-Stat!!!!