I am not consistently getting stereo sound.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I am not consistently getting stereo sound..

nirama
03-28-2010, 12:20 PM
My Kenwood KR3090 receiver has a light labeled "STEREO" that turns on whenever I am getting stereo sound. Today, I noticed that this light has been occasionally flickering on and off, sometimes staying off for 5 seconds, but then staying on for a few minutes (or so I think, I haven't stared at my receiver for more than 2 minutes I think...) There is a possibility that it has been this way since I set the speakers yesterday, I just happened to not notice. How do I fix this?

On a side note, the left woofer needs to be refoamed. It was causing an irritating buzzing/rattling noise. Is it ok to keep using it if I don't refoam it? (I will eventually, just when I get more money.) I have used two pieces of scotch tape to tape the woofer down a bit (this is intended to prevent the woofer from vibrating as much); so far this has eliminated the buzzing/rattling noise I mentioned earlier. Is this harmful to the speaker?

JoeE SP9
03-28-2010, 12:31 PM
With receivers the "Stereo" indicator refers only to FM reception. Switch the tuner to AM reception and the light should go out and stay out.

Re-foaming kits for woofers are very inexpensive, usually less than $30 a pair. I would not use a speaker that needs re-foaming. You risk destroying the voice coil because of rubbing on the magnet.

nirama
03-28-2010, 12:37 PM
With receivers the "Stereo" indicator refers only to FM reception. Re-foaming kits for woofers are very inexpensive, usually less than $30 a pair. I would not use a speaker that needs re-foaming. You risk destroying the voice coil because of rubbing on the magnet.

Thank you! Would this speaker foam kit be legit to buy? Speaker Foam Surround Kit for Boston Acoustics 8" (http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-Speaker-Foam-Surround-Kit-for-Boston-Acoustics-8_W0QQitemZ350327106312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item51911f6b08#ht_3374wt_1123) I'm just curious because I can't tell if it's an official product or not, and whether it would still be the best thing to use if it wasn't.

JoeE SP9
03-28-2010, 02:02 PM
If you have Boston Acoustics speakers with 8" woofers the kits should be perfect. If not don't try. There are many re-foaming kits available for almost any speaker. Check the auction site. Use your specific speaker and model while searching to make sure you get the right ones.

What kind of speakers (make and model) do you have?

nirama
03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
T830, which is what it says it is compatible with.