Check This Beast out, Guys! A Cherry Marantz 2385! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Check This Beast out, Guys! A Cherry Marantz 2385!

Charlie04SiR
03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Yup! After many years of searching, I finally found a Marantz 2385. This unit is a beast! 185 WPC of raw vintage POWER! The unit is all original and has not been restored! I will be sending it in for a tune up pretty soon, as I'm sure that at least some of the caps inside are dried out. It operates and sounds superbly, but the lights dim when turned on, and then they go brighter when speaker relay closes, indicative of a necessary looksie :)

poppachubby
03-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Wow, just awesome. I would love to hear it. What are you planning on hooking up to it?

Charlie04SiR
03-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Chubster :D

I am planning on using it in the living room with my HD880's. My 880's are special units with re-vamped crossover frequencies for overall flatter response curve. It's amazing what a little tweaking to crossovers can accomplish :) I love the "no-shrill" thrill from my 880's, and the bass with the Vari-Q's in place is so quick & tight, yet they can go realllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep :)

dakatabg
03-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Wow I have Sansui 9090DB rated 125wpc and now I can't even imagine what a Marantz 185wpc will do.

Nice receiver Charlie04SiR, I have the 2250B home. Keep it, with every past day the price is going up and up on those receivers.

02audionoob
03-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Definitely one of their all-time beauties...and for Marantz that's saying something.

BallinWithNash
03-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I am very jealous ... looks like a beaut .. let us know what you think about it after it's tune up. I got a Marantz 2240 and love that, I can't even imagine what this will sound like :3:

thekid
03-28-2010, 01:51 AM
A very nice score! As Marantz gear from that era has power that is greater than it specs I can't even begin to wonder what is the true power. It certainly is enough to drive anything you can throw at it. I am in the Dallas area later this year so when I get off the plane and hear music blasting from somewhere in the distance I will know you got this beast cranked up.....

Charlie04SiR
03-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks for all the compliments guys. This is the third time I have gotten lucky, heheh! The first time was when my neighbor passed a 2275 wearing a WC-22 walnut case, to me for free, then I found a Pioneer SX-1280, and now the 2385. The latter two, sadly I had to pay for :D
I wonder what's going to happen next?

Kid, if your coming to Dallas, you can look me up and come visit if you have time. I love showing off my gear :) PM me if you would like me to give you my address & phone#

Charlie

poppachubby
03-28-2010, 07:18 AM
I was browsing the Philidelphia CL and saw this amp listed for $850!! I'm assuming that's dollars and not pesos. Of course, a large portion of the price represents the amps historical value and condition.

I've said it in previous posts, but it really rings true to me. With a piece like this you are a caretaker of audio history. There's an obligation to care for it and maintain it. Even my little 1515 gets the best of my pride. No bulb unlit I say!!

Charlie04SiR
08-01-2010, 04:09 AM
Look at this, guys! I found an original WC-124 Walnut 3-piece case for my 2385! I installed it last night and was wetting myself all over the place while setting up tripod to take picture of it. I don't like to use the flash because it causes ridiculous glare. What a pretty thingggggg...........gasp..........ughh! :D
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/CharlieHorse1992/Picture802.jpg

Feanor
08-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Look at this, guys! I found an original WC-124 Walnut 3-piece case for my 2385! I installed it last night and was wetting myself all over the place while setting up tripod to take picture of it. I don't like to use the flash because it causes ridiculous glare. What a pretty thingggggg...........gasp..........ughh! :D

Oh yeah, Charlie. That's a real bee-ut.

Just2fast
08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Yup! After many years of searching, I finally found a Marantz 2385. This unit is a beast! 185 WPC of raw vintage POWER! The unit is all original and has not been restored! I will be sending it in for a tune up pretty soon, as I'm sure that at least some of the caps inside are dried out. It operates and sounds superbly, but the lights dim when turned on, and then they go brighter when speaker relay closes, indicative of a necessary looksie :)
Wow ! Great find !! They seem to be hard find, unless your willing to pay a fortune for one on e-bay. I've got a Sansui G-8700db -- (160wpc) hooked up to a pair of Marantz HD-880s. Although my 880s have not been upgraded they sound amazing with the Sansui. I would love to hear yours with that 2385, I'm sure it sounds great !!!
Buy the way, I have an original Marantz HD-880 Service Data Spec. brochure. I would be happy to fax you a copy if your interested.
Just2Fast
Listen Loud, Listen proud

Glen B
08-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Very nice indeed. :)

Wow I have Sansui 9090DB rated 125wpc and now I can't even imagine what a Marantz 185wpc will do.

There would likely be no noticeable difference in sound level. 185W versus 125W is an approximate 1.5dB increase in power. To be noticeably louder, it takes a doubling of power or 3dB increase (250W).

Charlie04SiR
09-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Very nice indeed. :)

There would likely be no noticeable difference in sound level. 185W versus 125W is an approximate 1.5dB increase in power. To be noticeably louder, it takes a doubling of power or 3dB increase (250W). Yes Glen, but that depends on the efficiency speakers. even so, 1.5dB increase at that level of power IS a very noticeable difference in sound output, especially at low Hz levels. To the average person there would likely be very little to no difference heard in output level, but to a critical listener, 1.5dB's is HUGE from 125 WPC to 185 WPC.

thekid
09-03-2010, 02:45 AM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/CharlieHorse1992/Picture802.jpg

NIIIIIIICE!
Cogratulations!

devuonoste
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
WOW! Awesome find.

I hope you will enjoy it for a very long time. It's great that your are sending it away to get a tuneup, as I think that will ensure you will have trouble free listening for many years to come. :14:

Charlie04SiR
09-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks, fellas! I had been listening to the 2385 with a pair of my HD770's and these beasts paired with their matching speakers is amazing! Such beautiful sound!

rce107
10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Greetings to all:
I just had to comment on Charlie's new 2385. It is truly a work of art and a sight to behold and be heard. Last week I purchased (for $100) a really filthy looking 2275. Before I even powered it up, I had to disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning. After doing so, I noticed that there was not one scratch on the front panel or dial glass. Two days later, I purchased an older set of Cerwin Vega VS-150's on Craigslist. I was originally planning to use the Marantz as a preamp to my Yamaha P2250 main amp, but after hearing the 2275 by itself, I was suprised at the power output. I think I'll keep it like this for a while. Thanks for reading and for sharing a wealth of info and insight
7524752575267527:23:

dakatabg
10-19-2010, 08:32 PM
You did a very good job cleaning it! I saw it at the audiokarma as well!

rce107
10-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Greetings to all:
I just had to comment on Charlie's new 2385. It is truly a work of art and a sight to behold and be heard. Last week I purchased (for $100) a really filthy looking 2275. Before I even powered it up, I had to disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning. After doing so, I noticed that there was not one scratch on the front panel or dial glass. Two days later, I purchased an older set of Cerwin Vega VS-150's on Craigslist. I was originally planning to use the Marantz as a preamp to my Yamaha P2250 main amp, but after hearing the 2275 by itself, I was suprised at the power output. I think I'll keep it like this for a while. Thanks for reading and for sharing a wealth of info and insight
7524752575267527:23:
With great power comes great responsibility..........so play it loud!

Glen B
10-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Yes Glen, but that depends on the efficiency speakers. even so, 1.5dB increase at that level of power IS a very noticeable difference in sound output, especially at low Hz levels. To the average person there would likely be very little to no difference heard in output level, but to a critical listener, 1.5dB's is HUGE from 125 WPC to 185 WPC.
Let us just agree to disagree. The increased power will result in more effortless dynamics, little bit cleaner sound, etc. when the amp is pushed hard, but perceived loudness, regardless of speaker efficiency will not be as dramatic as you claim.

Technoblockhead
11-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Those older vintage tuner amps a wonderful,
I have restored other models then yours, and must say that the discreet amplifier design is second to none in sound quality when designed well. I fixed up a old Sansui beast years ago... that thing rocked! The table lamps in our room would flicker with the bass surges. Them big power supply caps can suck and punch. Found that a lot of the older amps have the front panel lamps wired directly to their own secondary of the power transformer and tend to pulsate with the bass thumps some. Seem like I always had to replace a few burned out lamps. I guess this would be expected.