Odd problem - need help from video guys. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Odd problem - need help from video guys.

RGA
03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
My girlfriend is hearing impaired and we having great difficult with the CC (closed Captioning) feature of certain DVD's.

I have a Sony LCD and a SONY DVD player using the HDMI connections. Both are CC capable and on regular movie DVD's the CC feature works. So the settings are correct.

Now the oddball issue is the TV series such as Dexter and Frasier. The CC does not work. Ahh you say - the CC is not on the disc - but it is. I put both into my laptop and the CC is there - and the weird thing is that when we connect it up to her 15 year old tube TV the CC works.

I have screwed around with the TV settings, the DVD player settings, tried two other DVD players with the LCD and neither of those worked - and one of them is connected via the component jacks - so I don't think it can be the connectors - and besides it works with regular movies.

I believe it also works with MASH. I realize not many people are using their CC options but I figured that I would ask.

cheers,

poppachubby
03-25-2010, 02:12 AM
I watch alot of foreign movies with subtitles. I can't offer any solution to your problem Rich. If nothing else works, I can help you get set up to rip the discs and add the captioning permanently to the video. I use a couple of programs to add subtitles to ripped movies, it actually adds it to the video, rather than cue it from a file. Let me know...

Jack in Wilmington
03-25-2010, 02:16 AM
I know with my TV the CC works when I mute the sound if I have close captioning enabled. It's nice if my wife gets a phone call while we're watching TV. That's strange that it only happens on some programs.

Worf101
03-25-2010, 03:43 AM
When a problem occurs like that on only some media it usually is a firmware glitch. Not all DVD's are "created equal" nor are all DVD players. I'd check to see if there's a firmware update available, if there is they flash it and see if that solves the problem and certainly to a google search of your problemo.

Worf

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-25-2010, 08:36 AM
I think what you have run in to is an authoring glitch on the digital signals that effects how the player sees the CC. This is a real problem, and it happens because the authoring house did the encoding without paying attention to the end result. This happens pretty regularly with television programs, but not with movies because the QC is so much higher with movies than television programming. Because CC is not used that much, complaints are often small and easy to ignore.

pixelthis
03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Try running the signal through something besides the HDMI, if that works then your CC isnt getting through your HDMI.
dont know why this would happen, but HDMI is an active connection, handshakes
with the equipment its connected to, handles copy protection, etc.
Hard to tell, really, CC problems are such a bother because few use it, really.:1: