Blu-Ray and non DTS-HD decoding [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray and non DTS-HD decoding

kevlarus
03-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Has anyone ever done A/B comparison of a regular DVD with DTS audio and the same in a bluray format with a receiver that can decode only DTS or DTS-96/24 ?

Was there a difference between the audio generated from the bluray vs. that generated from the DVD ?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Has anyone ever done A/B comparison of a regular DVD with DTS audio and the same in a bluray format with a receiver that can decode only DTS or DTS-96/24 ?

That comparison would be useless without knowing what variant of Dts would be used. Full bit rate Dts? Half bit rate? Dts -96/24 would be off the table because there are no movies using that format extension. It is concert video's mostly, and used extremely rarely on the Blu ray format.

Was there a difference between the audio generated from the bluray vs. that generated from the DVD ?

Blu ray uses Dts-HD Master Audio as the basis of most movie encoding. This is a high resolution lossless variant of the suite of Dts encoder/decoders. Most DVD's use Dts lossy variant at 754kps (and a few 1.5mbps DVD's as well) as the basis for its encoding. There is no doubt there is a audible difference between the two, especially if careful attention is paid to the acoustics of the room, and the quality and synergy of the components that make up the audio chain.

Mr Peabody
03-24-2010, 07:54 PM
In general, without getting too technical, if you play a DVD and a Blu Ray disc, for ease using the same BD player, into a receiver with no HD audio decoding (DTS-MA/Dolby Tru HD) there would still be better sound from the Blu ray because of less compression, or the other way, more bits. So the Blu ray will still be backward compatible while being able to deliver more bits than a DVD for audio and therefore sounding better.

There's a lot to the audio formats and I always have to refer back to the DTS & Dolby websites to get the bits, extensions etc. straight or Sir T nails me. Bottom line though is Blu still sounds better even in an older receiver doing Dolby Digital or DTS.

kevlarus
03-25-2010, 06:29 AM
In general, without getting too technical, if you play a DVD and a Blu Ray disc, for ease using the same BD player, into a receiver with no HD audio decoding (DTS-MA/Dolby Tru HD) there would still be better sound from the Blu ray because of less compression, or the other way, more bits. So the Blu ray will still be backward compatible while being able to deliver more bits than a DVD for audio and therefore sounding better.

There's a lot to the audio formats and I always have to refer back to the DTS & Dolby websites to get the bits, extensions etc. straight or Sir T nails me. Bottom line though is Blu still sounds better even in an older receiver doing Dolby Digital or DTS.

Thanks

That's what I was wondering. Looking at the official site for DTS, a properly designed DTS received (non HD) can handle up to 1.5Mbs of sound, which is supposedly higher than normally found on a regular DVD. That's where my question came in. Sounds like grabbing the DTS from Blu-ray, while not HD, would still be miles ahead of the same, lower DTS bitrate, on a DVD.

This allows me the option later of going to blu-ray with only toslink audio or higher end player with the seperate audio outs. I usually prefer DTS over Dolby (dvd's -- ie, the Bond movies), but it's hard to find since it's not part of the DVD spec like it is with blu-ray.

pixelthis
03-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks

That's what I was wondering. Looking at the official site for DTS, a properly designed DTS received (non HD) can handle up to 1.5Mbs of sound, which is supposedly higher than normally found on a regular DVD. That's where my question came in. Sounds like grabbing the DTS from Blu-ray, while not HD, would still be miles ahead of the same, lower DTS bitrate, on a DVD.

This allows me the option later of going to blu-ray with only toslink audio or higher end player with the seperate audio outs. I usually prefer DTS over Dolby (dvd's -- ie, the Bond movies), but it's hard to find since it's not part of the DVD spec like it is with blu-ray.

Regular DTS has a 1.5 meg bandwidth, but its rarely used, if ever.
Most DVD soundtracks are around 500-700 kbs, to save space.
DONT have a receiver that can handle the new HD audio codecs?
Well, on BLU even the "standard" DD -DTS soundtracks provided use their full bandwidth,
for those that havent upgraded yet.
No way around it, BLU will knock the pants off of standard DVD every time, in
audio and video.:1: