Cartridge Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Help

Enochrome
03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Is it possible for one of the channel's output to go out in a cartridge?
I have Ortofon OM 20 and one of the channels (left) died. At first I thought it was everything
else, but I changed the leads, turntables, and checked my preamp running through a different component.

1. the problem carried over the other table.
2. I switched the right and left leads, and the problem changed to the right,
which got me thinking it was the cartridge and hence the post.
3. Followed the cartridge lead color configuration as specified by the cartridge and then
the tone-arm spec's following the table's service manual.

-Never heard or experienced a cartridge losing a channel before, just wanted to know if this is common or not. I got the cartridge second hand (probably a mistake).

Last, what would anyone choose the Nagaoka MP11 or Grado Prestige Blue? ( arm is low mass) ------ maybe the Ortofon 2M Red, seeing as I might need to replace the cartridge.

--Cheers

nightflier
03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Well it can't be the needle or cantilever, so if you've eliminated everything from the headshell up, then it does seem to be the cartridge motor itself. It is odd for just one channel in the motor to go out like that. Perhaps a loosened solder point on the inside of the cartridge where the leads connect? This could be possible if the leads where moved a bit as a result of being reconnected repeatedly. That the problem is inside the motor seems a little more unlikely. Maybe some of the more engineering-oriented folks can chime in?

On the plus side, this wasn't a $5K Koetsu. I believe the street price on the Ortofon OM 20 is around $100. Maybe this is a good opportunity to upgrade to a new cartridge, maybe a MC like the Benz MC20E2?

Enochrome
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I did switch the cartridge a lot recently.

basite
03-24-2010, 11:43 AM
did you switch the head shell leads, or the external cable (cinch, going to the amp/pre)?

I never had a cartridge that died internally...

have you checked the cables themselves for defects? if you have a multimeter, check all cables for continuity. If all cables measure good, then it is indeed the cart.

As Nightflier mentioned, it can't be the cantilever or the stylus, so it'll have to be somewhere in the cart itselves...

if you decide to go with a new cart: the 2M series from Ortofon is pretty good :) get a good one though :)

Good luck,
Bert.

nightflier
03-24-2010, 02:38 PM
...and make sure it comes with a warranty, lol.

poppachubby
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Last, what would anyone choose the Nagaoka MP11 or Grado Prestige Blue? ( arm is low mass) ------ maybe the Ortofon 2M Red, seeing as I might need to replace the cartridge.

--Cheers

The three carts you are asking about all have a different sound, and different properties. Firstly, what table will you be mounting it to? Secondly, what kind of sound do you like? Laid back or really forward?

As for your cart...my friend has a vintage MC cart which he has been meaning to try and revamp. It has a channel out...I think he's up the creek.

mlsstl
03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
One thing to check on the Ortofon is in the headshell-to-tonearm connection where the leads from the cartridge goes into the knurled connector area. Those are often a snap-in part for a pin connector and they can move out of position. This will cause you to lose that channel. I used to see that a couple times a year when I worked at a stereo store back in the 1970s.

If that is OK, then your cartridge has a good chance of having an internal problem. That's a rare issue but it can happen.

PS, of the cartridges you mention, I personally consider the Ortofon the most neutral.

Enochrome
03-25-2010, 07:57 AM
I've checked the leads and switched TT'S, and it still persists. It's a weird problem where I've had it work for one record i put on by interchanging rca's, but for other records it has one channel. I think I need to just get a cheapo test cartridge and that will give me the answer.

The two TT's that I have are a Luxman PD 272 and a Dual 505-3. Both TT's have low mass tone arms. I asked the cartridge question before, so people might be tired of hearing it.

Here's the cartridge perspective in different words: My arm is low mass, my preamp is MM, I listen to indie rock, electronic, but also classical and folk. I really liked the OM20 but I felt it could be better on my folk records, hence the interest in the Nagaoka or Grado.
I am intrigued by the Nagaoka's "warm colored" sound. Yet, I have a feeling that the 2M Red will kick ass on my rock and electronic records. I should get both, but money is tight.

Another frustration, it seems all the audiophile stores only carry Grado's for carts under $200, and i don't know if I can take their word for it, if that is their only option regardless.

Has anyone heard anything or have opinions on the Chinese tube amps, i.e. Yaqin?

poppachubby
03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Chinese tube gear is fantastic. What exactly did you have in mind? Browse the Grant Fidelity site, they rebadge some of the best Chinese gear out there.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/catalog

IMO, avoid the Grado and go for the 2M Red. I like the Nagaoka, I have heard the MP110 in the shops and it's quite nice. However, you have experience with the Ortofon and enjoy the sound. The Red is a real solid performer and should do well with all of your albums.

Just like the OM, the 2M can be upgraded from Red to Blue, a wonderful increase in fidelity I might add.

mlsstl
03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Another frustration, it seems all the audiophile stores only carry Grado's for carts under $200, and i don't know if I can take their word for it, if that is their only option regardless.

Has anyone heard anything or have opinions on the Chinese tube amps, i.e. Yaqin?

Not sure what you mean about the audiophile stores and Grado. I know www.needledoctor.com carries the full range of Grado cartridges along with Ortofon and many other brands. So the cartridges are certainly available if you meant you're having a hard time finding them.

As for Chinese audio gear, you can't make a blanket statement. There is some great stuff available from China and some cheap trash. I've got an Image 65i integrated amp that is great. The only problem is there is currently no US importer for the brand so they're hard to come by.

Enochrome
03-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the advice on the carts. Yeah, I just have this nagging feeling that the Grados won't be right. I've heard they have inner groove tracking and humming issues.

What I meant by "audiophile stores and Grados" was that I live in L.A. ,and there are three (maybe four) audio stores that specialize in the gear we like to talk about on this site, and more importantly vinyl. Two of these stores are Brooks Brendan and Affordable Audio. Both of the owners are awesome!!!, yet they only carry Grados for carts under $200. But I digress, I can't expect these stores to carry a wide variety because their cart sales are minimal compared to their equipment sales. I just like supporting local stores and getting their face to face tricks on perfecting your gear and sound.

Sorry about not clarifying that better. I wish this site was a brick and mortar store that we could all shoot the sh*t at :)

basite
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
have you thought about a high output MC? like a Denon DL110 or 160?