3D TV A Premature Waste at this Point or Not? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3D TV A Premature Waste at this Point or Not?

EdwardGein
03-24-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm a bit confused on why anyone would want to buy a 3D Ready TV at this point and hope someone can explain. I'm speaking of only TV programs/channels at this point.

Other then maybe some ESPN future sports broadcasts, I don't see any 3D series planned by the major networks. So really unless you have money up the Whazoo, why buy one with your hard earned money at this point in time? If the networks were actually going to broadcast a significant portion if their shows in 3D, sure I'd want to buy one too but they're not.

The prices would probably be like the computer market too, each year they'd be getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better at the same time. Of course that's probably typical of all new technology.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm a bit confused on why anyone would want to buy a 3D Ready TV at this point and hope someone can explain. I'm speaking of only TV programs/channels at this point.

Other then maybe some ESPN future sports broadcasts, I don't see any 3D series planned by the major networks. So really unless you have money up the Whazoo, why buy one with your hard earned money at this point in time? If the networks were actually going to broadcast a significant portion if their shows in 3D, sure I'd want to buy one too but they're not.

The prices would probably be like the computer market too, each year they'd be getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better at the same time. Of course that's probably typical of all new technology.

Since you are not talking movies, I will try to tackle the TV programs angle. There have been some sport programming video taped in 3D that had quite a big response from the public. Hence why at least on the sports side it is getting a lot of attention. When polls are taken after a broadcast, the level of enthusiasm was very high with calls for more programming.

As with any new technology, there is always a chicken and egg dynamic. Why buy a 3D television if there is no 3D programming. This time around they want to defeat that dynamic by offering more programming early to drive the sales of the television, thereby avoiding the chicken and egg dynamic.

Will it be a success, well early reports show that Panasonic sold out its first 3D televisions in just a day. I guess the next chance to see if this phenomena has legs comes from looking at the sales of Samsung televisions.

pixelthis
03-24-2010, 06:40 PM

YOUR IMPRESSION IS CORRECT.
3D is a total waste of time.
The industry has tried several times to introduce "3D TV", and its crashed and burned every time.
PEOPLE who advocate it cite theater presentations.
THE FACT THAT it has never caught on in theaters is hardly an argument to put it into TV tho.
Until they get a form of 3D that doesnt need glasses, doesnt cause headachs and other side effects, they are going to find 3D a hard sell.
In a year 3D TV will be gone.
Its a puzzle that they are pushing it now, tho, right after the sudden surge in TV sales.
Like everybody is going to get rid of those shiny new LCD sets they bought for Christmas.
Quite the marketing mis-step.:1:

GregLee
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Did you know that the 3D Samsung TVs convert 2D to 3D? So will the Sony 3D TVs when they're introduced this summer, and those of some other brands. I will not have to wait for the OTA broadcast networks to convert their series to the new 3D standard, which, as you suggest, is not about to happen soon. This really doesn't affect me, though, since I don't watch those series, anyway. I'm interested in the documentary channel(s) which Discovery will be introducing next year and an occasional 3D blu-ray movie. The three 3D channels which DirecTV is introducing in two months should be an interesting novelty, at least.

04-14-2010, 06:16 PM
2D to 3D conversion is not very good on these televisions. There is simply not enough processing to do it correctly, and movies that are converted from 2D to 3D must be shot with 3D in mind during production or it will not look right. Clash of the Titans proves this.

Worf101
04-16-2010, 05:00 AM
I bought my first LCD/HD TV a couple of years ago. We're in heaven. I couldn't think of tossing my 52 in Sammy in the trash heap for 3D...

BUT. I was talking to my friend Sugi who owns and operates the local "art Theatre":

www.Spectrum8.com

And I asked her if she ran "Alice in Wonderland" and she said "no" because they didn't have a 3D screen. I countered with, well "why not just show the 2D version." Her response was quite telling. She said they found with "Up" that if 3D is offered on the same flick locally, families (read kids) want the 3D effect and will pay to get it. While I regret that 3D is coming so close on the heels of HiDef, if folks view it the way our parents viewed Stereo vs. Mono Hifi, or color vs. Black and White T.V., I may be screwed. But my kids a Junior in High School soo...... But if kids get used to 3D effects parents my have little choice.

Worf

harley .guy07
04-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Like I said before and I will say again. If I have to where damn glasses to watch tv then I Am not in. I hate having to where glasses just to watch my tv.

04-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Personally I do not think 3D is premature or a gimmick. The object is not to make you choose, but to give you choice. I do not think the object is to make anyone just dump their current televisions for 3D ones. The object is to develop the BR format to give you more choices in the way you view HD video. 3D does not supplant 2D, it adds to the experience.

I think 3D will suceed just because most televisions will be 3D enabled anyway. 3D is not for everyone, pregnant women,intoxicated folks, sleep deprived folks, people with eye problems,and people prone to seizures and dizziness. Some estimates say that 6% of the American public will have problems with 3D

kelsci
04-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Another avenue that 3-D might flourish is if point and shoot and digital camcorders for the masses are manufactured and work properly. It is one thing to see somebody elses work on the big screen but it is even nicer and "braggier" when you see your own work on that screen in your home too.

BadAssJazz
04-17-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm so not buying a 3D TV. I'm probably one of a few who do not care for 3D. Never have. Never will.

blackraven
04-17-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm so not buying a 3D TV. I'm probably one of a few who do not care for 3D. Never have. Never will.

There may come a time that all TV's will do 3D whether you like it or not.

pixelthis
04-18-2010, 10:47 AM
There may come a time that all TV's will do 3D whether you like it or not.

Doubt that.
Even so, there will always be the "flatties", just like there will always be mono, stereo,
and surround for sound.
3D right now just isn't ready for prime time.
And govt regulators have pulled things off the shelf before for less than causing
"headaches".
On the other hand talkys still here....:1:

Swish
04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm more an audio guy anyway, although HD has really made me appreciate video more than ever. I realize A/V manufacturers are always looking for the 'next big thing', but I can't imaging it's 3D. I'm guessing thinner, like the screens that are already in development (can't recall the name but I am thinking they are called 'Green Screens') and can be folded up and taken to another location in a matter of seconds.

thekid
04-19-2010, 01:50 AM
I think the biggest issue is content. Looking at most programs that are on TV now how many of them would be substantially improved or be more compelling by being in 3D?

As Sir T pointed out some Sports programming would probably draw an audience as would Sci-Fi fare and few other programs but the majority of programs would not be enhanced by the 3D experience. Anderson Cooper in 3D or American Idol 3D is not going to make people run out and buy TV sets. Another possible factor on the programming side could be cost. I don't know what the additional cost would be to a network to shoot a series in 3D but the rise of "Reality TV", Prime-time game shows and animated series in prime time is in part a direct result of the rising cost of producing a TV series. I see 3D only making that problem worse.

The last point I would make on content would be from the creative side of it. For certain genre's when and where to insert a 3D effect is somewhat an easy call but if you are now going to be producing a weekly TV series with 3D effects will the writers, directors etc know when to use 3D? This technology is a little different than say the switch from Black and White to Color was and I would venture that if used incorrectly or in a predictable manner by the creative team putting a show together it will turn audiences away.

bfalls
04-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Our Media Test Center here at Sony just received a prototype 3D TV to use for testing 3D movies. They are using it with both Sony and Samsung 3D players and have also purchased both NVidia and Samsung 3D glasses. The receiver is a STR-DH810 with HDMI 1.4.

On Friday we received the 3D version of "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs". I was able to view several test sessions. All I can say is WOW! The effects are incredible. This is not a passing phase. The prototype TV is a 46" Sony and had a price of $3000. Not sure of a model number. There are still some artifacts, but overall the 3D effects enhance the viewing experience extremely well.

Although the effects are excellent, I doubt I run out and buy a new TV very soon. I have signed up for the pre-order of a 3D player from our family website for $139. The price is right and it has network streaming. I may plan to go 3D sometime next year when I purchase a TV for the bedroom, or possibly rearrange TVs and put it in the living room. Not sure, but sooner or later I will have one.

Hyfi
04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
But if kids get used to 3D effects parents my have little choice.

Worf

Now here is a growing trend that is scary. Not just with 3D viewing. It appears that way too many parents allow their children to make all the decisions and run the show. Worf, I'm not pointing any fingers, it's just that your post hits a nerve with me.

I have watched too many parents try to become Friends or Buddies with their children instead of being the parent. When I was growing up, Chuck Taylor All Stars were the big sneaker that everyone had to have. My parents were not so well off raising 5 children and I always got $2 bobos from JM Fields or someplace. The first pair of Chucks I ever owned I bought with my own earned money at a whopping $10.

My parents knew how to say NO. I watch my neighbors kids run the show as well as good friends whos kid has controlled them since he was old enough to whine.

Just because Johnny Acavanos's dad bought him a new bike, doesn't mean your kid gets one too. Just because kids see a 3d movie doesn't mean the parent has to go out and buy a new tv.

It's time for PARENTS to start taking back the parenting duties and explain to the CHILDREN that that they just don't get everything they want, ask for, or that a friend has. Hopefully they will then learn some valuable lessons the way most of us have. You want something bad enough, you get a job, save some money, and buy it yourself.

Sorry for the rant.

I will most likely be the last on my block to adopt the latest technology. I may even have to retire my roof antenna if I do so when the time comes.

Swish
04-20-2010, 12:34 PM
My parents knew how to say NO. I watch my neighbors kids run the show as well as good friends whos kid has controlled them since he was old enough to whine.

Just because Johnny Acavanos's dad bought him a new bike, doesn't mean your kid gets one too. Just because kids see a 3d movie doesn't mean the parent has to go out and buy a new tv.

I will most likely be the last on my block to adopt the latest technology. I may even have to retire my roof antenna if I do so when the time comes.

When my parent's went out on a Saturday night, my grandmother would come over to babysit. First she would beat me with a leather belt then force me to watch Lawrence Welk. Okay, the beating part was a joke, but the Lawrence Welk part is true! I used to well up with tears because she just HAD to watch that show. A one ana two...

A roof antenna? Are you serious?

Hyfi
04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
A roof antenna? Are you serious?

Absolutely...and I still get the Lawrence Welk Show, which I laugh out loud whenever I pass by it.

I watch so little TV, rent movies for $1.06 at RedBox, what else do I need? Anything else can be plucked from the net. Oh yeah, I only have DSL so it takes a few hours when I do.

bobsticks
04-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Personally I do not think 3D is premature or a gimmick. The object is not to make you choose, but to give you choice. I do not think the object is to make anyone just dump their current televisions for 3D ones. The object is to develop the BR format to give you more choices in the way you view HD video. 3D does not supplant 2D, it adds to the experience.

I agree with this...

Like I said before and I will say again. If I have to where damn glasses to watch tv then I Am not in. I hate having to where glasses just to watch my tv.

....but I also agree with this...

nightflier
04-20-2010, 01:34 PM
I have another question: what glasses do I need? Just doing a quick search pulled up 3D anaglyph, 3D Pulfrich, 3D Polarized glasses, and I'm sure there are more. Then the next question is whether the 3D anaglyph glasses work with all the movies, or do I need a different pairs for different movies?

kevlarus
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I have another question: what glasses do I need? Just doing a quick search pulled up 3D anaglyph, 3D Pulfrich, 3D Polarized glasses, and I'm sure there are more. Then the next question is whether the 3D anaglyph glasses work with all the movies, or do I need a different pairs for different movies?

I'm pretty sure it's not a "what 3D glasses for the movie" but what "3D glasses for the 3D HDTV that I have". Each is using similar/different technology and not necessarily inter-changable between different manufacturers of tv sets or glasses.

04-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Wow, you are just amazing. You don't know squat about 3D in the home, and yet you predict is downfall in this thread

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=33710

Now, it is time for you to shut up and learn something about 3D before you make stupid predictions as you have not seemed to learn that lesson from your lame ignorant HD DVD defeats Bluray prediction. If you don't know the very basic's of a technology, how can you possibly predict its future?

You have a very bad habit of making comments and opinions on subjects you have no clue on, when are you going to stop spreading ignorance on this website?

nightflier
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Beating that old HD-DVD vs. BR horse again? I didn't think there was anything left to beat, lil't. I'm just asking about the glasses, nothing more. And rather than dragging in old carcasses of debates past, why don't you just answer the question? Or is this going to be another one of those non-ending discussions where you never actually answer the question?

Funny, actually, that you would attack me for questioning the future of 3D in the home, when the general consensus here is that it actually will be a dud. You sure know how to pick your Waterloos, you little tyrant. I think the only people touting 3D's greatness are those who have something to gain from it (yes, that means you).

Well good luck with that.

pixelthis
04-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow, you are just amazing. You don't know squat about 3D in the home, and yet you predict is downfall in this thread

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=33710

Now, it is time for you to shut up and learn something about 3D before you make stupid predictions as you have not seemed to learn that lesson from your lame ignorant HD DVD defeats Bluray prediction. If you don't know the very basic's of a technology, how can you possibly predict its future?

You have a very bad habit of making comments and opinions on subjects you have no clue on, when are you going to stop spreading ignorance on this website?

You sure are cranky.
Must have gotten up on the wrong side of the coffin:1:

Rich-n-Texas
04-21-2010, 02:03 PM
STFU troll. :rolleyes:

04-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Beating that old HD-DVD vs. BR horse again? I didn't think there was anything left to beat, lil't. I'm just asking about the glasses, nothing more. And rather than dragging in old carcasses of debates past, why don't you just answer the question? Or is this going to be another one of those non-ending discussions where you never actually answer the question?

The fact that you had to ask, but yet have an opinion on its demise, shows very clearly you are comfortable making opinions about things you know zero about. In other words, and air sandwich from an airhead.

Mentioning the HD DVD versus BR arguement shows a pattern of opinion out of ignorance, a trait that you have shown great competence with.

Funny, actually, that you would attack me for questioning the future of 3D in the home, when the general consensus here is that it actually will be a dud. You sure know how to pick your Waterloos, you little tyrant. I think the only people touting 3D's greatness are those who have something to gain from it (yes, that means you).

Well good luck with that.

What is equally funny is nobody but myself and Bfalls has had any exposure to 3D in the home via equipment designed for the home. So once again this is your commenting before experience crap again. It seems that you have a propensity for developing opinions with somebody elses words, and not your own experience. I call that a sheeple. How does grass taste nightstupid, or more appropriately nightsheeple!

Worf101
04-22-2010, 04:58 AM
Now here is a growing trend that is scary. Not just with 3D viewing. It appears that way too many parents allow their children to make all the decisions and run the show. Worf, I'm not pointing any fingers, it's just that your post hits a nerve with me.

I have watched too many parents try to become Friends or Buddies with their children instead of being the parent. When I was growing up, Chuck Taylor All Stars were the big sneaker that everyone had to have. My parents were not so well off raising 5 children and I always got $2 bobos from JM Fields or someplace. The first pair of Chucks I ever owned I bought with my own earned money at a whopping $10.

It's time for PARENTS to start taking back the parenting duties and explain to the CHILDREN that that they just don't get everything they want, ask for, or that a friend has. Hopefully they will then learn some valuable lessons the way most of us have. You want something bad enough, you get a job, save some money, and buy it yourself.

Sorry for the rant.

I KNOW your rant is not directed at me. But I can't help but agree with you almost 100%.

My son is now 16, he'll be 17 in a month of two. When he came to live with me the following occured.

1. No cell phone till he was 15.
2. No text privileges... PERIOD
3. No TV in his room, still doesn't have one.
4. X-Box is in my bedroom and controller is under lock and key.
5. No video games on school nights.
6. No MP3 player till he was 15.
7. All boys Catholic High School.

All of the above has prompted my son to bemoan his existence mightly. On his arrival I sad "this is no Democracy, welcome to Stalinist Russia" . He thought I was kidding. Now he knows better.

Besides his whinage and griping he has:
1. Made Varsity Baseball.
2. Made National Honor Society.
3. Is currently taking Honors and AP courses.
4. Has no children running around.
5. Been offered an internship at Albany Medical and a paid internship at R.P.I.

I'm not claiming to be perfect or that all my choices have been right, but this is the current situation. It could all blow up in my and his face in Freshman year when my glowering scowl and booming voice aren't around, but it might not. We'll see. Back to your original point. The word "no" is not a four letter word.

Worf.

GMichael
04-22-2010, 05:12 AM
I KNOW your rant is not directed at me. But I can't help but agree with you almost 100%.

My son is now 16, he'll be 17 in a month of two. When he came to live with me the following occured.

All of the above has prompted my son to bemoan his existence mightly. On his arrival I sad "this is no Democracy, welcome to Stalinist Russia" . He thought I was kidding. Now he knows better.

I'm not claiming to be perfect or that all my choices have been right, but this is the current situation. It could all blow up in my and his face in Freshman year when my glowering scowl and booming voice aren't around, but it might not. We'll see. Back to your original point. The word "no" is not a four letter word.

Worf.

Hold on, hold on. Type a little slower there for me Worf. I'm trying to take notes.
I'd say that we'd all be lucky to have our kids turn out as good as yours, but I don't think it was luck.

OK, back to the 3D bashing.

Hyfi
04-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Worf.

Good deal my friend. I am willing to bet that in a few years, when he has a nice job and truly realized what you did for him, you will get a nice Thank You from him.

I am so grateful for the way I was raised even if that meant always wanting things as I was the youngest of 5 in a little money family. It's probably why I am so frugal (some call it cheap) today.

nightflier
04-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Worf, I see where you're going with this, but for those of us who grew up in a strongly religious and restrictive environment, this does bring back some pretty horrid memories. I'm glad it's turned out well for you and yours, but I'm not convinced that this is the best approach for every family. As a wise man once said... the bond that binds too tightly snaps itself.

nightflier
04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Woke up on the wrong side of the coffin...and constipated, hung-over, with a hernia, I'm going to guess, lol.

The fact that you had to ask, but yet have an opinion on its demise, shows very clearly you are comfortable making opinions about things you know zero about. In other words, and air sandwich from an airhead.

So let me get this straight, it's now verboten to have opinions on products unless we own them? How is that going to work on this forum? Most of the hi-fi gear discussed here, most people can't afford. Well yes, I know you can, but let's ignore that for a minute. Are you going to dismiss the opinions of everyone who hasn't experienced 3D in their home? Even you, by your own admission, has only seen some iterations of it. Should we then dismiss anything you say about the others? And who's going to determine what level of experience and what type of gear qualifies one to have something to say? You? That's rich.

You're such an arrogant, self-indulged blow-hard, you can't even see how that's a completely unrealistic proposition. The original poster, as well as several others here don't think 3D in the home is going to take off either. I'm pretty sure none of them have experienced 3D in their homes. Are you going to dismiss what they're saying too? You know, pretty soon, you're going to be the only one left on this site. Your mind-numbingly stupid self-centered posturing is going to turn this into your own one-man show to stroke your own ego.

What is equally funny is nobody but myself and Bfalls has had any exposure to 3D in the home via equipment designed for the home.

lil't, I guess you and Bfalls can discuss this by yourselves, then. That is, if Bfalls even wants to. You're such an irritant, I'd be surprised if he wouldn't just grab his fly swatter and send you packing.

3LB
04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
oh look, another 3D thread...

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with Sir Tantrum the Terrier in principle - there really is no predicting what the general public will or won't buy. The general public has done some curious things regarding electronic entertainment in the past. It took decades for the public to warm-up to the idead of more than one speaker. It took over a decade for CDs to supplant the cassette in retail sales. We passed over quadrophonic sound, we didn't support laser disc, we chose the inferior VHS over the superior Beta, we have an entire generation of computer savvy chirlens who'd rather listen to a crappy 128kbps (or lower) MP3 file that got for free than to actually buy a CD, subsequently duping "the suits" into thinking it was that nifty over-compression that the kids liked...I digress. This doesn't include the stupid things we do outside of the electronic relm, like making millionaires out of nominally talented musical acts, creating an era of disposable TV by propping up bad reality shows that are as spontaneous as pro wrestling, just to name a few.

I haven't been compelled to upgrade my video equipment because there is very little on TV or in movies to hold my interests, let alone warrant the monetary investment. A turd in 3D would be more realistic than a 2D depiction, but its still a turd.

Given the popularity of video games and the technology expended on their behalf, I wouldn't be surprised if this industry alone were enough to keep 3D technology hanging around, and these guys will gladly wear the funny glasses. Who knows, maybe a desperate industry like porn will jump on the 3D bandwagon. Better yet, maybe once and for, the amusement park experience can finally come closer to us (not to worry Sir TiT, Disney Line still has all those cools shows).

As far as 3D being foisted upon us, I don't buy it, literally. Can't nobody make me do nothin. But I'll never say never. But I'm waiting until the entertainment industry comes out with at least one more innovation - originallity (or at least until they stop sucking).

GMichael
04-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I bet that 3D video games will sell.

kevlarus
04-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I haven't been compelled to upgrade my video equipment because there is very little on TV or in movies to hold my interests, let alone warrant the monetary investment. A turd in 3D would be more realistic than a 2D depiction, but its still a turd.

Look, do you have any idea the realism that 3D could bring to that image ? All you're missing is smell-a-vision... oh, wait, skip that on second thought, it's only a turd...

oh look, another 3D thread...

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with Sir Tantrum the Terrier in principle - there really is no predicting what the general public will or won't buy. The general public has done some curious things regarding electronic entertainment in the past. It took decades for the public to warm-up to the idead of more than one speaker. It took over a decade for CDs to supplant the cassette in retail sales. We passed over quadrophonic sound, we didn't support laser disc, we chose the inferior VHS over the superior Beta, we have an entire generation of computer savvy chirlens who'd rather listen to a crappy 128kbps (or lower) MP3 file that got for free than to actually buy a CD, subsequently duping "the suits" into thinking it was that nifty over-compression that the kids liked...I digress. This doesn't include the stupid things we do outside of the electronic relm, like making millionaires out of nominally talented musical acts, creating an era of disposable TV by propping up bad reality shows that are as spontaneous as pro wrestling, just to name a few.

And what you said above about the quality of the music of the mp3's is what amazes me. Regardless of the "theoretical" limits of the human ear etc., given a choice of sampling at 128kbps or 192kbps or higher, I will always go higher. But I suppose when you're blasting the music at volume level 10 through small earbuds, you're not speaking about a quality system attempting to reproduce sound at the concert or the recording studio. Now, if you have reasonable speakers and you turn up the volume, it can sound off the hook while you're on the desk.

Given the popularity of video games and the technology expended on their behalf, I wouldn't be surprised if this industry alone were enough to keep 3D technology hanging around, and these guys will gladly wear the funny glasses. Who knows, maybe a desperate industry like porn will jump on the 3D bandwagon. Better yet, maybe once and for, the amusement park experience can finally come closer to us (not to worry Sir TiT, Disney Line still has all those cools shows).

As far as 3D being foisted upon us, I don't buy it, literally. Can't nobody make me do nothin. But I'll never say never. But I'm waiting until the entertainment industry comes out with at least one more innovation - originallity (or at least until they stop sucking).

I'm waiting for them to stop "remaking" movies of years past.. they are almost never as good as the original despite advances in technology. But then, technology does not beget acting or directing itself -- I'll refer you to the great director Stanley Kubrick.

It's interesting you mention the porn industry. I don't know whether this was based in fact or someone's total imagination, but I thought I had read somewhere that the VHS (I *think* that was the medium) really took off due to the porn industry's use of it. Haven't done any internet searches for it for citations to this statement may only be worth has much as the first paragraph at the top -- a turd.

04-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Woke up on the wrong side of the coffin...and constipated, hung-over, with a hernia, I'm going to guess, lol.

Once again, commenting on things you know nothing about. I guess I could say that since you use other folks opinions to shape your own, you flunked critical thinking, or just plain basic thinking. Brainless airheads often do.

So let me get this straight, it's now verboten to have opinions on products unless we own them? How is that going to work on this forum? Most of the hi-fi gear discussed here, most people can't afford. Well yes, I know you can, but let's ignore that for a minute. Are you going to dismiss the opinions of everyone who hasn't experienced 3D in their home? Even you, by your own admission, has only seen some iterations of it. Should we then dismiss anything you say about the others? And who's going to determine what level of experience and what type of gear qualifies one to have something to say? You? That's rich.

If you have never consumed fish, how do you know you don't like it? If you have never driven a car how do you know it is scary to drive? You have to have experience with both to know what you feel about it, and you have to have experience with 3D to know how effective it is, and how some folks will embrace it. You have no experience with 3D, but feel you have some ground to comment on it using somebody elses perspecitive to do so. Can't you think for yourself for a change, or actually experience something before commenting on it? How do I know I don't like tube amps? Because I have heard enough of them to make that judgement. How do I know that I don't care for panels? It is based on listening to them. How do I know that you are stupid as hell? Because I have had enough experience poking holes in your stupidity to get that opinion.

You're such an arrogant, self-indulged blow-hard, you can't even see how that's a completely unrealistic proposition. The original poster, as well as several others here don't think 3D in the home is going to take off either.

Based on what..a guess? With no experience with 3D in the home, that is the best you can do idiot!

I'm pretty sure none of them have experienced 3D in their homes. Are you going to dismiss what they're saying too?

Nope, I am going to take it for what it is. Just a guess, and a guess only. Some folks will like it, and some folks won't. You won't know until you have experienced it. I have expereinced it, and if you like 3D in the theater, you will probably like it in your home as well if you are willing to pay for it, much like in the theater.

You know, pretty soon, you're going to be the only one left on this site. Your mind-numbingly stupid self-centered posturing is going to turn this into your own one-man show to stroke your own ego.

You have absolutely zero success in predicting the future. So this I will dismiss as nothing more than nightidiotness.

lil't, I guess you and Bfalls can discuss this by yourselves, then. That is, if Bfalls even wants to. You're such an irritant, I'd be surprised if he wouldn't just grab his fly swatter and send you packing.

Oh blah blah blah you passive agreessive nitwit. Anyone here can give their opinion on 3D, but one must realize without experiencing it, it is an uneducated opinion. Those of us who have chosen to view 3D movies in the theater have much praise for it(E-stat is an excellent example). Based on my experience with 3D in the home, you will get the same jaw dropping effect you get there in your home. I have experienced it both with a flat panel and a projector, and they both were extremely effective 3D presentation. I can say this based on experience, not some second hand opinion as you do.

There is nothing more irritating than a ignorant fool trying to pass himself off as educated. You have this really bad, and I wish they had some kind of spray to rid us of dealing with you.

nightflier
04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
As I suspected, you've just insulted and dismissed every one here. Shut up already.

04-22-2010, 09:20 PM
As I suspected, you've just insulted and dismissed every one here. Shut up already.

Don't try and deflect, I was talking directly to you fool! Do you see anyone else taking umbridge to what I have said?

I suppose you are going to come up with another lie like you have already seen 3D in the home as a basis for your opinion like you did with the Avatar thread. You are Pinocchio's twin brother, and your nose is a good pole for hanging laundry on!

Worf101
04-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Worf, I see where you're going with this, but for those of us who grew up in a strongly religious and restrictive environment, this does bring back some pretty horrid memories. I'm glad it's turned out well for you and yours, but I'm not convinced that this is the best approach for every family. As a wise man once said... the bond that binds too tightly snaps itself.
Every parent, every kid is different. I hope and pray I'm doing the "right" thing by my son but in that this is my first time doing this AND I'm doing it in real time, we'll see. I'm not strongly religious. The primary reason he's at LaSalle is good academics and NO GIRLS!!!! But your cautions have crossed my mind many times. I just hope I'm providing enough carrot with the stick.

Worf

04-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Every parent, every kid is different. I hope and pray I'm doing the "right" thing by my son but in that this is my first time doing this AND I'm doing it in real time, we'll see. I'm not strongly religious. The primary reason he's at LaSalle is good academics and NO GIRLS!!!! But your cautions have crossed my mind many times. I just hope I'm providing enough carrot with the stick.

Worf

Worf type individual carbon unit,
This is just my opinion, but I think not only are you doing the right thing, but you are doing the responsible thing. My Grandmother had a big hand in raising me, and she was a bible thumping, holy rolling pentecostal woman(not a bad thing). Parties were out of the question, and going to clubs as well. Televsion was limited, and education was emphasized. Some folks would have thought my life was like living in a straight jacket, but I didn't think it was that way. The rules I lived under where almost exactly as you laid out for your kids, except I attended a catholic boys boarding school not too far from your neck of the woods. You talk about restrictive!

I was rewarded for acheivement.....carrots for grades. If I wanted to march in colorguard, I had to bring home A's. If I wanted to march in the Cavaliers(I wanted to do that so bad), I had to bring home A's. My mom told me that if I brought home a B, no marching, and she ment it. I graduated with a 4.7 grade average when that was unheard of in that day(it is pretty common for a UC Berkeley or Stanford freshmen now).

The result...I could pick the college I wanted to attend, and instead of worrying about getting into college, recruiters chased after me. I had the pick of the litter, and I chose USC film school. When I finally could go out, I realize I was missing nothing.

My kids had the same restrictive rules on them when they were growing up as you had on your kids, and I had when I was growing up(cell phones and texting aside). My boys are as close to me as your nose is to your face, and they graduated as 1 and 2 at the top of their high school class, and also had the pick of the litter for college. My kids moaned and groaned about a lot of things, but when they graduated college, they totally appreciated the life I gave them, and the way I raised them, and they told me such. I was sure I was doing the right thing when I raised them, because I believed my grandmothers rules where right when I was growing up.

There is always the worry that kids growing up in a controlled and disciplined environment will go wild when released into the world. Some kids will, and some kids won't. Some kids will go wild for a minute, and then realize that it does not benefit them well and come to themselves. As parents, we are not responsible for choices made after they become grown. The only thing we are responsible for is raising our kids the best way we know how, and that is it. I was always second guessing myself when raising them, but there ain't no guide book on how to raise kids.

My kids are out in the world now. One works for me at my studio doing exactly what I do, and the rug rat is pretty damn good at it(he sometimes shames his old man with his skills). My other twin son just started a job as a controller for a startup here in the bay area, and helps manage the business side of my studio along with my best friend. I am proud of what they have done with their lives so far, and I am sure you will be with your kid as well. When can only pray for the best for them when they get out on their own.

BadAssJazz
04-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Agreed.

I grew up in a ridiculously stringent household. While some kids need deliberate guidance and exacting discipline, I wasn't one of those kids. I formed an idea of who I wanted to be early in life, and as fate would have it, was intellectually gifted to boot. Unfortunately, my parents weren't the type to adapt and recalibrate on the fly. They applied the same unrelenting measure to myself and my brothers without exception or accommodation. Bad idea.

Naturally, it was to no one's surprise -- save my parents -- that after I graduated high school at 17, and left for the University of California at Berkeley, that I didn't return to see them until after graduation; my master's ceremony graduation. (You may figure out the time lapse at your leisure.) And it was to no one's surprise -- save my parents -- that I refused their assistance to help pay for my education, and denied their requests to visit. And it was to no one's surprise -- save my parents -- that on the rare Christmas or Thanksgiving that I do visit, I never stay longer than a few hours in their home. Even to this day, I feel stifled just passing through the doorway of their home.

To this day, now in my 40's, my parents have never been invited to my home.

I realize that parents have a tough job. But raising children has to be about more than authoritarian precepts. There must be a balance between principles and pragmatism. And whatever you do, never mistake negative reinforcement for nurturing. That sort of thing can kill a child's individuality, creativity and spirit as surely as if you had put rope about their necks and hung them from a tree in your own front yard.

Swish
04-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Agreed.

I grew up in a ridiculously stringent household. While some kids need deliberate guidance and exacting discipline, I wasn't one of those kids. I formed an idea of who I wanted to be early in life, and as fate would have it, was intellectually gifted to boot. Unfortunately, my parents weren't the type to adapt and recalibrate on the fly. They applied the same unrelenting measure to myself and my brothers without exception or accommodation. Bad idea.

Naturally, it was to no one's surprise -- save my parents -- that after I graduated high school at 17, and left for the University of California at Berkeley, that I didn't return to see them until after graduation; my master's ceremony graduation. (You may figure out the time lapse at your leisure.) And it was to no one's surprise -- save my parents -- that I refused their assistance to help pay for my education, and denied their requests to visit. And it was to no one's surprise -- save my parents -- that on the rare Christmas or Thanksgiving that I do visit, I never stay longer than a few hours in their home. Even to this day, I feel stifled just passing through the doorway of their home.

To this day, now in my 40's, my parents have never been invited to my home.

I realize that parents have a tough job. But raising children has to be about more than authoritarian precepts. There must be a balance between principles and pragmatism. And whatever you do, never mistake negative reinforcement for nurturing. That sort of thing can kill a child's individuality, creativity and spirit as surely as if you had put rope about their necks and hung them from a tree in your own front yard.

...your message has me saddened in a way, although I don't know anything about you and don't recall ever reading one of your posts. It appears you a lifetime sentence upon your parents for being strict, which seems excessive from where I'm sitting. If there was abuse involved, I would certainly understand, but that cannot be inferred based on your comments from where I'm sitting.

The family next door to me showed similar results from their sternness. They were not allowed to date, even in high school, nor get a driver's license. The oldest daughter moved out as soon as she turned 18, as did the son who is 4 years older than me. The younger daughter was quite promiscuous in college (I have several friends who went to the same school) and never moved back home, and they rarely visited the home after they left. I have no idea what else went on in that house, but it appears the parents got what they deserved and I suspect there was physical abuse as well as mental.

Perhaps your parents grew up in that environment and it's the only thing they knew? You only get one set of parents in this lifetime and I sincerely hope you don't regret this at some point. Can you really never forgive them?

04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Now before this great off topic debate gets a little twisted, lets not paint all disciplined environments as abusive ones...mental or physical.

Me and my twin brother's upbringing was based on structure, and reward for achievement. It also taught us about obeying leadership so we could be a good leaders, and that helped me greatly when I moved into a creative/management role at the two studios I have worked. Our upbringing never squashed our ability or desire to create, grow and personally restrain ourselves and exercise good judgement when we needed to. It taught us good judgement and priorities over frivolous and foolish. Rather than leaning on my parents resources to get me through college, I got scholarships and grants that left me with zero debt when I graduated(this is not even possible right now).

My twin boys based on this same style of upbringing achieved basically the same result. Now I didn't treat my boys identically, because they do not respond to things identically, and neither did my twin brother and I.

Not all strict environments are alike in intensity and scope, and not everyone produces the same result within those varied environments. Different personalities will respond differently in diffident types of structured and/or strict upbringings. Mental and physical abusive is on a completely different level than my upbringing, and maybe that was because both my brother and I were rewarded with more privileges as when showed good judgement. Kids will not learn a damn thing if you cannot teach them good judgement, and then allow them to apply it in real time in their lives. Letting kids do any and everything teaches them nothing about restraint, and letting them do nothing teaches them nothing about making good judgement in life.

When I think of how Worf is raising his kid, I cannot help but look at the similarities to my upbringing, and why his kid has achieved what he has, and why I did as well.

3LB
04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Me and my twin brother lemme guess T, you're his evil twin

all this talk of strict/structured upbringing and its possible negative ramifications. Not all children need rigid structure, but most all need some structure. 16 years ago when my first son was born, I received some good (I think) advise which I think needs mentioning in a thread about 3D parenting philosophies, and that's this:

"strict discipline without relationship breeds rebellion and discipline without instruction is counterproductive and borderline abuse"

AND

"you are not your child's friend, nor can you ever be concerned with whether or not your kids are mad at you."

Swish
04-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Now before this great off topic debate gets a little twisted, lets not paint all disciplined environments as abusive ones...mental or physical.

I was stating that he has shunned his parents for life, more or less, because they were strict, but not knowing the situation, perhaps there was abuse, but he in no way indicated that.

PeruvianSkies
07-12-2010, 10:27 PM

I sure did miss these ongoing debates we used to have, sure gets the best out of us with our creative use of the English language. I love it.

You should read some of his reviews and comments on Blu-ray.com, reminds me of back when the magazine Widescreen Review was giving 5/5 ratings for picture quality on just about every-single-new-release in order to boost sales because of course they were being "fair", ha ha. Never trust a review from a site that sells the product or promotes ads for where you can obtain it, it's nothing but pure B.S. to sell more product, even when they know it's junk, like the Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray.

Nasir
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
OK, Gentlemen, back to the topic at hand before I start about how my spoilt cat could test the limits and push them to new bounds......I don´t have kids of my own.
The way I look at things regarding 3D TV, is that, in the near future, I will have to buy a 40inch TV when my CRT packs it in!! So, instead of panicking when my present old tech TV stops working, I am unhurriedly updating myself with whats available, in the hope of making a better judgment on which TV to buy.
At present, the difference in price of a LED LCD compared to a 3D LED LCD is about 500€ ( more or less USD 600), which is not a discouraging amount for an early adopter. For a similar size LCD versus 3D LCD, the Samsung prices differ by about 300€ ( almost USD 360 ). Considering the fact that extra pairs of glasses will bring the prices to " think twice " levels, I personally would not mind buying the 3D TV with just one supplied pair of glasses and wait to see the family´s reaction before buying extra specs. At this stage, I would not be forcing 3D on the rest of family, but at least I have a 3D capable TV for the sports, and other contents which will eventually follow. Here in Portugal, most of the cable tv content is still in SD, with a handful of HD and a test 3D Channel. Also, the Samsung does a pseudo(?) 2D to 3D which may be interesting to watch on National Geographic or similar stuff...
On a lighter note, in 6 months, these prices will be much more pocket friendly......

bobsticks
07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
OK, Gentlemen, back to the topic at hand before I start about how my spoilt cat could test the limits and push them to new bounds......I don´t have kids of my own.
The way I look at things regarding 3D TV, is that, in the near future, I will have to buy a 40inch TV when my CRT packs it in!! So, instead of panicking when my present old tech TV stops working, I am unhurriedly updating myself with whats available, in the hope of making a better judgment on which TV to buy.
At present, the difference in price of a LED LCD compared to a 3D LED LCD is about 500€ ( more or less USD 600), which is not a discouraging amount for an early adopter. For a similar size LCD versus 3D LCD, the Samsung prices differ by about 300€ ( almost USD 360 ). Considering the fact that extra pairs of glasses will bring the prices to " think twice " levels, I personally would not mind buying the 3D TV with just one supplied pair of glasses and wait to see the family´s reaction before buying extra specs. At this stage, I would not be forcing 3D on the rest of family, but at least I have a 3D capable TV for the sports, and other contents which will eventually follow. Here in Portugal, most of the cable tv content is still in SD, with a handful of HD and a test 3D Channel. Also, the Samsung does a pseudo(?) 2D to 3D which may be interesting to watch on National Geographic or similar stuff...
On a lighter note, in 6 months, these prices will be much more pocket friendly......

The prices of that will dictate the answer...also, I suppose, your desire for 3D...

...3D will prolly be a viable art form because the studios will insist on it and the buying public will buy the initial marketing hype...but with upcoming connectivity changes and reallistic availability of product it could be a few years before the ultimate product is perfected and ready to roll on a nightly basis.

If it's me, and your criteria is budget, I roll less expensive and be prepared to motivate right quick...YMMV...

07-15-2010, 08:51 AM
I sure did miss these ongoing debates we used to have, sure gets the best out of us with our creative use of the English language. I love it.

You should read some of his reviews and comments on Blu-ray.com, reminds me of back when the magazine Widescreen Review was giving 5/5 ratings for picture quality on just about every-single-new-release in order to boost sales because of course they were being "fair", ha ha. Never trust a review from a site that sells the product or promotes ads for where you can obtain it, it's nothing but pure B.S. to sell more product, even when they know it's junk, like the Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray.

Just what I thought, back with more of the same BS you left here with. So once again mister revisionist, I am going to have to go back and pull your stupid comments apart.

Your first BS claim - I give everything a good review.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blue-Man-Group-How-to-Be-a-Megastar-Blu-ray/808/#Review

Hardly a glowing review.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ultraviolet-Blu-ray/119/#Review

Same here, hardly an excellent rating

ttp://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Home-of-the-Brave-Blu-ray/565/#Review

Once again, pretty critical of the PQ here.

So much for the I give five stars on every review.

As far as Dracula, I have already stated to you quite a few times that Coppola approved the transfer, Robert Harris who has seen the answer print the Blu ray was encoded from says it is faithful to the master, and the DP had signed off it as well. So with that body of approval, no fake review stealing disgrace of a person opinion is going to change that.

So Mr. multiple moniker, this is how you are going to return. Take your sorry butt back to were you came from, and take your knocks on Blu ray.com with you.

pixelthis
07-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Still hung up on old drac, huh?
You're obsession with this moderate horror flic is puzzling, even for you.
Heres a clue, most wont care to invest the time or money to make this as perfect as you want it to be, no market.,
AS FOR blu "REVIEWS", would be kind of hard to screw one up on the tech side, they arent perfect, but darn near.:1:

Nasir
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
As I said, I am in no hurry to buy a TV right now. But, I would not hesitate in buying a 3D LCD capable TV compared to a normal LCD. Of course, the prices have to be reasonable taking into account that extra specs will be required. Also, I would not want to watch most of the time in 3D !!!
Lets face it, a sports event and then back to normal TV, Hell, most of my cable TV channels are still in SD... enough to make me cry when most of the actors are stretched to look fatter and shorter when the AUTOMATIC screen filler mode is selected. And, if that were not enough, the image is not sharp enough!! But, when I checkout the HD content, I have to put down the wine glass and put on my prescription glasses just to make sure that I am seeing right... amazing colors, correct body proportions, the ball IS round and all this on an average size 32in LCD. The 720p stuff is simply amazing.
I am okay with there being regular 3D content ( not talking 24/7 here) maybe a handful of quality stuff during the week and and then all the major games in 3D. Its akin to using ones HIFI system to listen selectively and not to have the 10 O´Clock News in full 5.1 ( or 7.1 and 12.1? Where the hell am I gonna sit with a room full of speakers every 30 degrees!!! ). So, maybe 3D will win us over slowly.

44Edward
12-03-2011, 06:51 AM
not interested in 3D movies or TV

Poultrygeist
12-04-2011, 03:18 AM
I really enjoyed watching the ACC championship game between Clemson and VT last night on Directv's ESPN3D.

StevenSurprenant
12-05-2011, 07:03 AM
My only experience with 3D is in the theater and at several stores and the effect is very interesting and way cool, but having to wear glasses is a negative experience which I don't look forwards to. If 3D came standard on all TV's at the right price then I wouldn't mind having that option since I'm sure there are limited occasions that I might enjoy it, but not every day.

The other thing that could be a negative detractor of the technology is over use of the effect. For instance, I was watching a demo at Best Buy showing an under water scene. The sea bed and fish were projected out in front of the screen. The effect was very clear, but detracted from the enjoyment of the video. What appeared back into the screen was more enjoyable. I can see occasions when having things come out of the screen would be a plus, but if it is over used, it will ruin the format and the interest, even if, on first exposure it seems really impressive.

As I said, I have very limited exposure to 3D, but I have noticed that when I go to Best Buy, the shoppers show very little interest in their 3D displays. Also, when I was there watching the 3D fish movie I was also looking to the side at another TV (2D) and I couldn't decide which I liked better.

Anyway, at this point 3D is not worth the extra expense for me and even though the effect is dramatic, it doesn't seem to add that much to the enjoyment of the movie. I will wait to see what the future brings, hopefully no glasses. I speak only for myself and what I prefer may not be an indicator of what the masses think.

GMichael
12-19-2011, 06:22 AM
I am enjoying 3D very much now. Glad I tried it.

BadAssJazz
12-19-2011, 08:38 AM
I've pretty much determined to forego it at this point. There are just some viewing experiences that I'd like to reserve for my local IMAX theater. Epic movie blockbusters is one. 3D movies is the other.