Audio Technica OC 9 - What's it like? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Technica OC 9 - What's it like?

squeegy200
03-23-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm encountering more conversations mentioning the AT OC 9 which I have to assume is the Audio Technica OC 9 cartridge.

I've searched some of the forums here and come up with no matches. Out on the web, I find positive reviews.

My only experience is with the lower end AT cartridges of which there are many. I've not been impressed with their sonic performance but the price points are good and the specs on paper are excellent.

But the OC 9 conversations intrigue me because they are being compared with some other competitors of which I am familiar.

Prices vary greatly from online retailers.

Anyone here with experience with the OC 9. What are your impressions?

hifitommy
03-28-2010, 10:54 AM
a fine tracker and a nice smooth top, and bouncy bottom. you wont be sorry for buying one. the diamond broke off mine and for $155, AT in ohio just gave me a new oc9II in exchange. now THATS service !

bill chin said he would lend me his GAS re-preamp if i mounted my oc9. hmmmm, i guess i should make the move off my kiester.

i can unequivocally recommend the oc9, i have missed it but with as many carts as i have already mounted, i have been lax in getting back to it.

what are you using now? oh, i just looked at your system at AA and i see the grado. with your apt pre, you dont even need to add a stepup so youre set.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?forum=vinyl&searchtext=oc9

squeegy200
04-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Although the Apt Holman preamp can accommodate a number of different cartridges (And do it well), I'm currently using a Michael Yee PFe-1 phono stage. It's the most flexible and adjustable phono pre I've ever owned. It's resistance, capacitance, input, and output can all be micro-adjusted to just about any possible cartridge specification.

I bought this unit from another vinyl enthusiast who had a number of phono stages in his inventory. This particular unit was modified by Michael Yee himself.

poppachubby
04-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I almost had my hands on a Holman pre. Hifi Tommy found it on AGon, but I was too late and someone had made a better offer. That's ok. I am now running an Eico HF 85 w/ Creek OBH-18, a wonderful and QUIET combo. Resistance loading is possible on the Eico but there isn't enough gain to run LOMC.

I will have to keep an eye out for this Yee Pre. hahahaha, get it?!? Yee Pre. Oh boy...

Anyhow, did you end up sampling the AT cart in question squeegy?