Introducing....... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Introducing.......

manlystanley
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
My new speakers........

Thanks everyone for all your help. I bought about 2 weeks ago a pair of Jamo C809's. While they were not on this list of speakers that was suggested, I did use the same concepts to evaluate tons of speakers.

What made me interested in the speakers were:

1.) Whathifi's recommended top rated movie speakers.

2.) Many reviews saying that the speaker sounded 'big' and laid back. In my room, the bass comes across lacking and the treble is over bright. So, it sounded like these would be perfect.

3.) Great deal: $1,200 plus $100 shipping.

4.) Finally an extended listening test. After two weeks the more I listen to them, the more I like them. The sound stage is huge, loud or soft plays equally well, they are very detailed, and after listening to them 10 hours straight (while I teleworked) I was not fatigued (except for the gobs of work that I did).

BTW: My youngest two girls wanted to be in the pictures....

Best Regards,
Stan

http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6783&stc=1&d=1269298306

http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6784&stc=1&d=1269298306

http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6785&stc=1&d=1269298306

audio amateur
03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Congratulations on your new speakers! I hope you enjoy them, especially after your hectic experience with the 1.6s.
Your girls are adorable:)

JohnMichael
03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
First things first your girls are beautiful.

Secondly I love the table and the runner.

Lastly congratulations on the speakers. I would be interested in seeing them without grills and look forward to your review of them.

JoeE SP9
03-22-2010, 03:34 PM
My new speakers........

Thanks everyone for all your help. I bought about 2 weeks ago a pair of Jamo C809's. While they were not on this list of speakers that was suggested, I did use the same concepts to evaluate tons of speakers.

What made me interested in the speakers were:

1.) Whathifi's recommended top rated movie speakers.

2.) Many reviews saying that the speaker sounded 'big' and laid back. In my room, the bass comes across lacking and the treble is over bright. So, it sounded like these would be perfect.

3.) Great deal: $1,200 plus $100 shipping.

4.) Finally an extended listening test. After two weeks the more I listen to them, the more I like them. The sound stage is huge, loud or soft plays equally well, they are very detailed, and after listening to them 10 hours straight (while I teleworked) I was not fatigued (except for the gobs of work that I did).

BTW: My youngest two girls wanted to be in the pictures....

Best Regards,
Stan

http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6783&stc=1&d=1269298306

http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6784&stc=1&d=1269298306

http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6785&stc=1&d=1269298306

manley, tell me you didn't use your daughters shoe fund for speakers!!!!!:wink5:

Seriously, your girls look happy and sassy. Nice speakers too.

I don't see any gear to drive them.

blackraven
03-22-2010, 04:32 PM
The speakers look great but your daughters steal the show! By the way, are you liking the Maggies any better?

manlystanley
03-23-2010, 01:43 AM
manley, tell me you didn't use your daughters shoe fund for speakers!!!!!:wink5:

Seriously, your girls look happy and sassy. Nice speakers too.

I don't see any gear to drive them.

Shoe fund????? A man's got to do, what a man's got to do..... Next to go is the socks... But, I'm loving the music....

About the gear, when I finished the basement, I ran the speak wires behind the drywall. In the picture with the two speakers, you can see the wall jacks that I plug the speakers into. Then the wires run to the back of the room. If you look in the mirror you can see the equipment in the back of the room.

I really like being able to sit and just look at the speakers and a uncluttered from room.

The girls (Abby and Amanda) by God's grace, have made huge progress in the past two years. We had no idea what effect being in a orphanage for 1-2 years would have on a baby. They are lots of fun now, punctuated with various challenges.

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
03-23-2010, 01:52 AM
The speakers look great but your daughters steal the show! By the way, are you liking the Maggies any better?

Hello BR,
Thanks, the girls are a real joy. I'll be selling the Maggies. These C809's to my ears sound a better then the Maggies. I am really happy that I got to try a pair of Maggies out for an extended period of time. The planar technology is really cool and they sound is great.

My room is really bright, so I needed a two own resister to tone the tweeter down. But I think this resister did something else to the sound (can't explain what). I do need to say that the Maggies (even with the two ohm resister) sounded head and shoulders above my B&W 684's (Which I loved).

Best Regards,
Stan

Ajani
03-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Congratulations Stan! It's always great to see a forum member find a setup he enjoys...

Quick question: are you using the XPA-2 to drive the Jamos?

Also, I love that you put good parenting ahead of audiophilia!!! Letting your daughters pose with the speakers (they look so happy) instead of making them step aside so you could get an unobstructed view of the speakers, was IMO the correct choice...

manlystanley
03-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Quick question: are you using the XPA-2 to drive the Jamos?

Yes I am using the XPA-2 to drive them. The C809's are rated at 6 Ohms, but if you look at the load they present:

-- It never goes above 4 ohms below 500 Hz.
-- The C809's have a low resistance of 2.8 ohms.

The only negative thing I've heard about them is that: some people report their amp's shutting down when the JAMO's are played with low volume; secondly, the Jamo's not sounding very good at low volumes.

Both of these I've not experienced. Also, as being a subjective test, the XPA-2 is putting out more heat with these speakers then it did with the Magnepan's. So, C809's need a pretty good sized amp to drive them.

Finally, in my listening room I loved the sound of my B&W 684 with my old H/K amp. But then with the XPA-2, the B&W 684, B&W Nautilus 803 and Magnepan 1.6's (with out the tweeter resistor) just sounded way to bright. So, I'm not sure if these c809's would sound great in a some else's room, but I'm really pleased.

I'm making mental notes notes and will come out with a review of them in a few months--if anyone is interested.

Best Regards,
Stan

frenchmon
03-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey Stan....The girls stole the show....they are adorable.

..And congrats on the Jamo Speakers...(oh and BTW they are pronounced ya-mo I was told)

I actually got a chance to listened to the C809's, C807's, C805's and the book shelf C803.

There was an car audio dealer down in Raleigh NC that sold Jamo and Mac gear. I remember the C809 and the entire Concert line sounding might fine. They where a balanced speaker with a great bottom end. They where a very detailed speaker and did music right. They where not a bright speaker that would hurt your ears but they where not boring speakers either. I would not say they where a warm speaker. They had passion no matter what music you played. JAMO is one of those speaker companies that's been around a long time and making good speakers at every price point...and they fly under the radar in the states but get praise over seas...sorta like Canton and Mordant Short speaker...they are all great speakers and will sound just as good if not better than the so called named brand speakers sold hear in the states. The speakers I think where in apple cherry or something like that....they where not real wood, but they where a beautiful speaker non the less...I'm sure after you get your JAMO's broken in you will love them even more. So congrats my friend and enjoy your new toys.

frenchmon

Worf101
03-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Ahm Jealous!!!! Never heard Maggies,
Never Heard Jamo's
Never had any daughters!!!!

Grrrrr....:mad5:

Great lookin' speakers, sweet looking girls. I'm glad you've got to a happy space with the gear.

Worf

rob_a
03-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Those are nice looking speaker!!! the Xpa-2 is a good amps. Good luck with your set up :thumbsup:

Also, beautiful girls you have, best of luck with your family!

GMichael
03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Cute girls. Congrats.

Congrats on the speakers too. Hope you have many years of happy listening.

manlystanley
03-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey Stan....The girls stole the show....they are adorable.

..And congrats on the Jamo Speakers...(oh and BTW they are pronounced ya-mo I was told)

I actually got a chance to listened to the C809's, C807's, C805's and the book shelf C803.

There was an car audio dealer down in Raleigh NC that sold Jamo and Mac gear. I remember the C809 and the entire Concert line sounding might fine. They where a balanced speaker with a great bottom end. They where a very detailed speaker and did music right. They where not a bright speaker that would hurt your ears but they where not boring speakers either. I would not say they where a warm speaker. They had passion no matter what music you played. JAMO is one of those speaker companies that's been around a long time and making good speakers at every price point...and they fly under the radar in the states but get praise over seas...sorta like Canton and Mordant Short speaker...they are all great speakers and will sound just as good if not better than the so called named brand speakers sold hear in the states. The speakers I think where in apple cherry or something like that....they where not real wood, but they where a beautiful speaker non the less...I'm sure after you get your JAMO's broken in you will love them even more. So congrats my friend and enjoy your new toys.
frenchmon

Wow, I'm impressed. You know everything about everything! You described the JAMO C809's perfectly. The longer I listen to them, the more I like them. So, it took me long enough, but with lots of you guys help, I've finally found something I like.

Best Regards,
Stan

jrhymeammo
03-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Planar isn't for everybody and looks like you made a good personal choice.
Enjoy.

TheHills44060
03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
great pics manlystanley!

NMyTree
04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Love the pictures, Manly!

I agree that Frenchmon really hit it on the head with these Jamo speakers. Although, I do find my Jamo's do have a nice, slight warmth to them. But maybe that's because all my gear leans towards to a touch of warmth. Regardless, they do music right.

I also have the Jamo C603, C607, C803, C807 ...as well as the C809. They all sound great. They all have that Jamo balance, nicely detailed, thoroughly unfatiguing musicality. There's a musical sweetness to them. That's the best way I can describe them.

Looking forward to your review!

frenchmon
04-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Hey Stan...read this.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49072

manlystanley
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Hello Frenchy,
Thanks. I saw that before. I'm still very pleased with these Jamo C809's. So, they're keepers.

Best Regards,
Stan