Cowboy Junkies concert [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Junkies concert

blackraven
03-22-2010, 12:18 PM
I saw the Cowboy Junkies last night at the very intimate Dakota jazz club here in Minneapolis last night. Wow! They were awesome. They played 2 shows for almost 2 hours each. They sounded just like they were playing in a studio. They are currently working on putting out 4 albums in the next 18 months with the first becoming available in April. They played some of their new material and it was great. If you ever have a chance to see them live, take advantage of it. You won't be disaapointed.

They were selling some of their Cd's after the concert and I bought the "Whites Off Earth Now!!" hybrid SACD and it is excellent. Very well recorded with great detail and clarity and a late 1960's, early 1970's musical flare. It sounds great in both std and SACD play.

JohnMichael
03-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a great night. I have been a fan of the Cowboy Junkies for years. I will have to check and see if they are performing near me. "Cause cheap is how I feel".

poppachubby
03-22-2010, 05:07 PM
You may borrow them for a night, but we will take them back now , eh?

blackraven
03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
You may borrow them for a night, but we will take them back now , eh?

Sorry Bro, they said they really like it here in the Twin Cities! It's warmer here in MN then in Canada, ya know! This time of year in MN is ABOOT like Canada's summer.:p

poppachubby
03-24-2010, 11:27 AM
raven, I dug out my CJ discs from the "vault". I also have Trinity Sessions on vinyl. That album is so dynamic it's unreal. A great test of a system's depth I would think...

Rhythm guitar....front right
Accordian... rear right
Vocals/harp...front left
Sliding guitar..middle left
Percussion rear left
bass...just left of center, next to percussion

Perfect imaging, and of course, the audible echos from the Church of the Holy Trinity.

blackraven
03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
raven, I dug out my CJ discs from the "vault". I also have Trinity Sessions on vinyl. That album is so dynamic it's unreal. A great test of a system's depth I would think...

Rhythm guitar....front right
Accordian... rear right
Vocals/harp...front left
Sliding guitar..middle left
Percussion rear left
bass...just left of center, next to percussion

Perfect imaging, and of course, the audible echos from the Church of the Holy Trinity.

You should check out the new "Trinity Revisited" Cd. Its recorded in the same church and is fantastic. Also check out the hybrid SACD that I mentioned initially in this post. It is recorded with only 1 or 2 mic's. The std recording is every bit as good as the SACD. It's become one of my reference CD's.

poppachubby
03-24-2010, 02:25 PM
It's still 1988 over here, no SACD...

blackraven
03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Its a hybrid sacd so it will play on a standard cd player. Most hybrid SACD's when played on a standard Cd player still sound better than a regular cd version.

poppachubby
03-24-2010, 05:07 PM
...misguided Raven hangin over me,
CDP like a Gabriel, pure and white as ivory...

It's also available as a double LP...vinyl baby!!

poppachubby
03-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Sounds like a great night. I have been a fan of the Cowboy Junkies for years. I will have to check and see if they are performing near me. "Cause cheap is how I feel".

They are playing in Cleveland this weekend.

blackraven
03-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Pops, I'll put a well recorded Cd or SACD with my hybrid tube sytem up against Vinyl any day. I'm not saying vinyl does not sound good but there is no digital edge in my system now since I upgraded my Van Alstine hybrid tube system with the new tubes and op amps that Frank Van Alstine recommended. I can finally say that I'm totally happy with the sound. I don't even need a sub now since the bass is deeper and tighter and there is more depth , warmth and resoluton to the sound. There is more speed and crispness as well.

poppachubby
03-25-2010, 02:20 AM
I have been happier with my digital output also, since getting the Golden Tube and my old Philips player. I still prefer the vinyl, in my system, it reigns supreme. I'm enjoying CD's again but get tired of the overly compressed nonsense.

Yesterday, I threw in an old, original Dire Straits CD into my H/T system. I had to turn it up to 30 whereas most every other CD goes to 23!! Proof positive of bad mastering practices.

I can do one or two discs, and then I switch back to LP's...

Poultrygeist
04-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I DVR'ed their Trinity Revisited which was shown a few months back on Directv. Great performance in DD 5.1 and the acoustics in that chapel were outstanding. Would love to see them live.