Yamaha receiver help needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha receiver help needed

Mr Peabody
03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
My friend ended up with a RX-V465. I was not able to be there for set up. He can't get his on screen display to work. I understand it will not show OSD via HDMI. He says he ran a separate component video connection and still can't get OSD. Any one have an idea what may be wrong other than the obvious not having the TV on right input etc.?

O'Shag
03-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Hello Mr. Peabody

If I might suggest, there are a couple of things your friend can check. First if he's not done so already he can make sure the correct Red Green and Blue cables are connected into the correct jacks on both sides. I know it sounds simple but it is so easy to get them mixed up especially if one is anxious to get the thing up and running. Second, make sure all the cables are secure on the jacks. I have had problems in the past with stiffer cables t where all three cables are joined together thus making it difficult to secure all three and one or more of the connectors keep coming loose. Third, he may have to select component out on the menu to activate the signal through those jacks given that the reciever is native HDMI - just guessing but it may be that this is why he can't get a picture.

Mr Peabody
03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey, O'Shag good to see you around. Thanks

bfalls
03-22-2010, 05:27 AM
On my older Yamaha RX-V2095, it required an S-video or composite output to see the OSD. I have an extra S-video connection run to the TV just for OSD on this receiver.

pixelthis
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
On my older Yamaha RX-V2095, it required an S-video or composite output to see the OSD. I have an extra S-video connection run to the TV just for OSD on this receiver.

I had to run my OSD through composite when I had my (last) yammy.
And I dont think they have upgraded to 32 bit graphics yet, either.
Not to mention a few QC problems.
To not be able to get graphics through HDMI is not only unforgivable, but it effectively
renders them useless, since that is the number one output you will be using.
Might as well not have graphics.:1:

Mr Peabody
03-22-2010, 04:36 PM
I am almost sure the Pioneer 819 is the same way, as I expect many entry level receivers are. To meet a certain price something has to give. I'm sure if the guy had more money to spend there is a Yamaha that does OSD via HDMI.

Help me, the world isn't right, I'm defending Yamaha and have posted positive things on a model of Klipsch.

Worf101
03-23-2010, 03:56 AM
I am almost sure the Pioneer 819 is the same way, as I expect many entry level receivers are. To meet a certain price something has to give. I'm sure if the guy had more money to spend there is a Yamaha that does OSD via HDMI.

Help me, the world isn't right, I'm defending Yamaha and have posted positive things on a model of Klipsch.
Where is OUR Mr. Peabody and what have you done with him???!!!! Talk! Or it will go hard with you!
(Smack!)
Talk!!!!

Worf (The Grand Inquisitor)

Mr Peabody
03-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Ouch! that hurt. Breaks into a sad excuse for a Curly imitation. :)