Buying Speakers .. your thoughts??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buying Speakers .. your thoughts???

BallinWithNash
03-20-2010, 05:08 PM
This is for my father and this will be in a fairly large room, these will be his main speakers that he will listen to and watch movies on so sound quality is important.
Klipsch RF-62
Polk TSi 400 or RTi10
KEF C-5
Infinity P362

I am thinking the Klipsch or Polk RTi10? What about you guys? thanks

TheHills44060
03-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Out of that selection i'd easily go with the Polk RTi10's. Klipsch make me want to bash my skull in with a cast iron skillet, the Infinity's are really garbage and I've never heard of that model KEF. So yeah the decision is easy for me but if you have access to all of them take a listen and see what you think.

Speaker selection is sooooo subjective so your ears may tell you different than mine.

BallinWithNash
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Yea but I dont know of any show rooms in Mesa or Phoenix Arizona haha and yea i thought the polks to ... i personally love the way polks sound and klipsch is ok havent hear them in awhile though

BallinWithNash
03-20-2010, 09:56 PM
where is everybody .. usually Mr.P comes in and comments sometimes audionoob and Pixy do???? did i do something?

LeRoy
03-21-2010, 05:58 AM
What's your budget for the speaker purchase and are you looking only to buy one pair of speakers at the budget limit?

Also, are you limiting yourself to only those brands/models or would you consider something else too?

Just to add, though I do respect everybody's speaker preference, I personally don't consider the brands/models that you listed to meet the sound quality requirement...I just happen to be one of those people who don't like any of the brands that you listed but of course everybody's different so maybe they would work for you or your dad.

What amplifier and CD or DVD player would they be paired with?

02audionoob
03-21-2010, 07:40 AM
where is everybody .. usually Mr.P comes in and comments sometimes audionoob and Pixy do???? did i do something?

Didn't mean to leave you hangin'. For the street prices I've seen, the Polk RTi series towers are very nice and perhaps the strongest of your list. Those Infinity speakers occasionally go on sale at my local Fry's for $99 each. That tells me something about them. It's hard to audition anything critically at Fry's, but the Polk towers sound like a different class from the Infinitys. As for Klipsch...not a fan of their newer towers. I'd probably rather have the RB-61 on stands. I too have not heard the KEF.

audio amateur
03-21-2010, 08:31 AM
The C series are the entry level Kefs. They got a poor review by what- hifi, whatever that's worth...

Mr Peabody
03-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm going to blow your mind. You didn't say what budget.

You said dad has a large room. If he has a good receiver I'd recommend something in the Klipsch Heritage line. The RF and Synergy are garbage made in China but I recently heard a pair of Khorns and learned about the models in the Heritage line. They have been upgraded some but basically the same as the original designs from the 50's. The problem is I don't think there is a dedicated center for this line. The ultimate would be Khorns in each corner with a Heresy III center and rears. That would cost. Maybe some La Scalla with a Heresy center. Looking at about $3200.00 a pair for La Scalla. You could go all Heresy III which run about $799.00 each. Klipsch are actually used in theaters and would give you the high efficiency neededd to reproduce SPL in the large room without a big ass amp. Buying direct from Klipsch you get free shipping and 30 day trial. Keep in mind break in period. To be accurate I think only certain models of the RF are made in China. I recently heard some Khorns that changed my mind on all Klipsch being garbage. You may have seen my thread "Peabody impressed by Klipsch". This is quite a departure for me.

If that's too much money I'd give a listen to the Cerwin Vega CLS series which is creating a big buzz right now as giant killers. You can get a 12" 3-way for about $600.00 a pair, CLS 12. The CLS 215's for mains would be killer. Can you imagine dad with two 15's per cabinet? You'd be over there all the time :)

I'd also check out Paradigm for something in the middle of the prior two price wise. The Klipsch will be the most efficient followed by the CV's.

I have heard some Polk that sound pretty good but they may be a bit sweet for HT and will require some decent power ratings to fill a large room. I'd personally go for the large woofers in the Klipsch or CV's.

My experience with Infinity Alpha a few years back has sort of kept me from recommending them. I haven't heard their stuff recently. The Alpha series were so out of balance it was unbelievable. The tweeter totally masked any bass response the 20's had. And I'm not familiar with KEF.

BallinWithNash
03-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey, thanks you guys!!!
Denon AVR 982 is my dad's receiver it is an oddball one that has a clone for more expensive well back in the day at least haha. And he has a good Sony CD player, and will probably buy another new Sony Blu Ray.
Ok so just talked to my dad price range below 700$ and now it looks like it is between the Polk Rti and the Paradigm Monitor 7. Which one's would have the superior sound quality from the stuff I have read people seem to like both of the speakers but the Paradigm may have a better sound quality, probably has a better sound quality haha? Where would I buy the Paradigm at? They say they don't sell online and I can't find any hifi audio stores here in Mesa, AZ 85209 is the zip
http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/speaker_only-specification-17-1-2-4.paradigm
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/rti10/

BallinWithNash
03-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Le Roy, no I am not limiting to only those brands those are just the speakers he liked for the price then I explain there is a reason there cheap haha ... He has two old JBL studio monitors that are quite good speakers, little heavy in the highs for me but he likes that. (Those are upstairs though) and he said that he can go over 700$ if he really likes it.
Audionoob no worries man I was just like dang did everybody just disappear haha
Thanks again!

02audionoob
03-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Phoenix dealer for Paradigm...

http://www.hifisalesav.com/stores.html

BallinWithNash
03-21-2010, 01:49 PM
So how come when I went to their website and typed in my zip that didn't come up??? haha ... thank you audionoob ... I must be retarded or something haha

02audionoob
03-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Don't know. I went with a Google SEARCH (http://www.google.com/search?q=phoenix+az+paradigm+audio+dealer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=)

BallinWithNash
03-21-2010, 01:56 PM
I should have trusted google to know all haha ... They do not appear to be open today just gave them a call and no answer I will try later and tomorrow, looks like we will be making a trip to Phoenix tomorrow haha! thanks again!

blackraven
03-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Check out www.saturdayaudio for their specials on Monitor Audio and PSB. You may be able to find a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's for about $600-700.

BallinWithNash
03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Ok, do Monitor Audio's sound good .. I have never actually hear of them??

Mr Peabody
03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
So you ask where I'm at and just ignore what I say :) For the $700.00 range show him the CLS 12's. See Sir T's thread and check reviews, the CLS are changing the way people are viewing Cerwin Vega. Sir T is goign to use some in a system.

If he like it bright the Paradigm are a better bet against the Polky's.

BallinWithNash
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Mr. P i didn't ignore you ... I told him what you said and he just didn't seem to like the Vegas that is all, we are still taking your advice about the Paradigm's!! And yea I saw his thread on them ... Everyone was shocked haha

Mr Peabody
03-21-2010, 03:16 PM
OK, I'm all better now :)

BallinWithNash
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
alright Mr.P see you gave such good advice you couldn't even remember what you said haha

BallinWithNash
03-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Alright guys despite me trying to talk my dad into the Paradigm's he went with the Polk's cause he said he got them onsale at a great price .. 275$ per speaker I'm not sure what the old Polks run for so I am taking his word on it! thank you for all your help! I am just glad we talked him out of the infinity's haha

02audionoob
03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
See...that's what I meant when I referred to the street price of the Polk speakers. They are very often way below list price. That doesn't mean they're worth the list price...just that you have to consider sale prices.

BallinWithNash
03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
You were right audionoob as usual haha... Personally I didn't really price check any of them my dad said he did. I just read reviews on the Polk's and Klipsch, and then on the Paradigm's that Mr.P gave me ... But just for arguments sake ... would the middle of the line Paradigm sound better then the middle of the line Polk? Because eventually my wallet will grow again haha (I just bought a car so not a lot of extra $$$) and I was just wondering about Paradigm versus Polk.

02audionoob
03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
As a generalization, I think you'd find under critical listening mid-level Paradigm outperforms mid-level Polk. I like Polk speakers at their price point, though.

BallinWithNash
03-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Ok, Audionoob thank you for that information I will probably be buying some mid-level Polks in the future then :P haha