which music should I buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : which music should I buy?

3LB
03-18-2010, 12:19 PM
I've been looking at maybe the Vampire Weekend or Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. Are these a good deal or should I look elsewhere? I like my Siversun Pickups, but figured I might be missing out on something new.

Any recs appreciated (imaging and control a must!)

Finch Platte
03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I've been looking at maybe the Vampire Weekend or Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. Are these a good deal or should I look elsewhere? I like my Siversun Pickups, but figured I might be missing out on something new.

Any recs appreciated (imaging and control a must!)

You should know after you get the discs I've sent. More than 180 bands from which to choose!

ForeverAutumn
03-19-2010, 05:25 AM
I like my Siversun Pickups, but figured I might be missing out on something new.

Silversun Pickups? Really? I wouldn't have figured you for a fan of this band. They opened for Muse when we saw them a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know much about them so Hubby and I checked out MySpace and thought that they were kind of dull. We caught about the last 2.5 songs of their set and they were a better live band than MySpace would have had us believe.

As for new music. I haven't bought anything new, that's wowed me, in a while. But that Broken Bells CD is definately on my radar.

Oh, and of course there is Finchy's load of crap to wade through. :D

Swish
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
As for new music. I haven't bought anything new, that's wowed me, in a while. I usually wait for guidance from Swish to find the really good stuff.

How about that new Spoon CD? Good stuff. Ditto Wilco. Ditto Richmond Fontaine.

ForeverAutumn
03-19-2010, 11:27 AM
How about that new Lady GaGa CD? Good stuff. Ditto The Jonas Brothers. Ditto Adam Lambert.

Really? Gosh, I wouldn't have figured you a fan of any of those acts! First 3LB professes his enjoyment of Silversun Pickups and now this! After all these years I feel like I don't know you guys at all. :nonod:

I do have the new Spoon CD and the last Wilco album. I need to spend more time with them both. Neither one grabbed me by the proverbial balls right away.

I hear the new Richmond Fontaine is pretty good too. :thumbsup:

Stone
03-19-2010, 11:42 AM
For pop fans:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drn500/n568/n56839jamu2.jpg

Finch Platte
03-19-2010, 12:04 PM
For pop fans:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drn500/n568/n56839jamu2.jpg

Click me. (http://www.mediafire.com/?nmtzyi2ulyj)

3LB
03-19-2010, 01:56 PM
I liked Silversun Pickup's Carnavas from '06, but their latest from last year, Swoon, left me flat. That's been a recurring theme the last few months. The last few albums I waited years to hear, follow-ups to albums I loved, and they disappointed me...The Notwist, Beardfish, Midlake, Transatlantic, and to an extent, Porcupine Tree.

Spoon, Izz and Wilco are the only bands that haven't so far.

3LB
03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
The reason for the odd construct of my original post was because I was mimmicking the dozens of posts on the general forum with people asking "which _____ should I buy?" (they kinda crack me up sometimes)

Finch Platte
03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
The reason for the odd construct of my original post was because I was mimmicking the dozens of posts on the general forum with people asking "which _____ should I buy?" (they kinda crack me up sometimes)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

K.

3LB
03-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey Finch, I did get your uh...comps? Looks like a labour* of love. I'll dig into it this weekend - and thanks.

(*that spelling was for you FA)

ForeverAutumn
03-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey Finch, I did get your uh...comps? Looks like a labour* of love. I'll dig into it this weekend - and thanks.

(*that spelling was for you FA)

Ah ha! My evil plan to turn you all into Canadians is beginning to work.

MWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA!

:devil:

Mr MidFi
03-22-2010, 05:20 AM
OK now... while we're talking new music and everything...

Anyone hear the new one from Besnard Lakes? Or Rogue Wave?

And what about the new White Stripes DVD? Inquiring minds want to know.

Slosh
03-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Anyone hear the new one from Besnard Lakes? Or Rogue Wave?
Permalight is awful. Sickly, saccharine pop ala the last equally terrible DCfC album. Stay away. Far, far away. Glad I got to hear it before wasting any money.

Mr MidFi
03-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Stay away. Far, far away.

Wow. Good to know... thanks. Glad I asked!

3LB
03-23-2010, 05:55 AM
I might give that Morning Benders album a shot. I liked their debut well enough (Talking Through Tin Cans). Its smart pop with a jangle rock underpinning and that lo-fi sound those indie cats dig.

bobsticks
03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Really? Gosh, I wouldn't have figured you a fan of any of those acts! First 3LB professes his enjoyment of Silversun Pickups and now this! After all these years I feel like I don't know you guys at all. :nonod:

I do have the new Spoon CD and the last Wilco album. I need to spend more time with them both. Neither one grabbed me by the proverbial balls right away.

I hear the new Richmond Fontaine is pretty good too. :thumbsup:

I would immediately have figured Swish for those bands...

I haven't bought anything in a while but I've enjoying Tom Waits' "Orphans" for most of the day...

noddin0ff
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I haven't bought anything in a while but I've enjoying Tom Waits' "Orphans" for most of the day...

I like that one a lot. Perfect for the days when you don't exactly know what you want to listen to.