New stereo for my retirement reward! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New stereo for my retirement reward!

uncblue
03-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Hello, everyone! I'm new to this site and excited to get advice and recommendations on my new stereo purchase I'm making for my retirement. I'm not wealthy, but I appreciate good sound and good equipement. My budget is only $2500 and I have just about decided on a pair of Klipsch Reference Series RF-82 speakers for about $1100. That leaves me roughly $1400 to get a power conditioner and integrated amp. I need input from users who know from experience what will drive a pair of speakers of this quality. Thanks for your help! - Bob

Feanor
03-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Hello, everyone! I'm new to this site and excited to get advice and recommendations on my new stereo purchase I'm making for my retirement. I'm not wealthy, but I appreciate good sound and good equipement. My budget is only $2500 and I have just about decided on a pair of Klipsch Reference Series RF-82 speakers for about $1100. That leaves me roughly $1400 to get a power conditioner and integrated amp. I need input from users who know from experience what will drive a pair of speakers of this quality. Thanks for your help! - Bob
Congrats on your retirement, uncblue, and welcome to AR Forums. Coincidentally I'm retiring the end of the month myself. :thumbsup:

That are your music sources? Do you already have a CD player (or DVD player); are you interested in playing LPs? Are you interested in pulling music from a computer; (very popular these days)?

I wouldn't go nuts on a power conditioner. A sound, practical option would be this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=215751&CatId=5314) Tripp Lite Isobar model that has multiple outlet banks isolated for RFI.

There is no doubt that an integrated amp offers the best value for money, and there are many to choose from. The Klipsch are pretty efficient speakers so vast power isn't a requirement. The following are several reasonable options from Audio Advisor, (US retailer):

Cambridge Audio 740A (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA740A)
Creek Evolution 2 (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CKEV2INT)
Music Hall A50.2 (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MHA50%2E2)If you can stretch you budget just a little further, say US$1600, I strongly recommend the Naim Nait 5i, (here (http://www.naim-audio.com/products/nait5i.html)), based on the many, consistent, and very positive reviews this unit has received.

blackraven
03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
If you can stretch your budget a little, I would check www.audioadvisor.com and go with a separate amp and preamp like the Hybrid tube equipment from Vincent audio. They are running a sale on the SA-31 Hybrid Tube Preamp for $599 and their hybrid tube amp the Vincent SP-331 for $1,199. I think that Vincent would match well with the Klipsch. Tubes will lend to a warmer sound.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VISA31

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VISP331MKP

NOTE-That the web site has the wrong price listed for the amp. It normally sells for $1499 and it is now on sale for $1,199. I have the Catalog.

Another option would be to pair the Vincent preamp with a B&K reference 125.5 power amp which has a warmer sound and would pair well with the Klipsch speakers which lean on the bright side. It runs about $699.

http://www.bkcomp.com/products/amplifiers/?tx_ttproducts_pi1%5BbackPID%5D=14&tx_ttproducts_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=5&cHash=5abcbb5051

For Intergrated amps I would look at this Marantz 8003, again it has a warm signiture.

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-PM8003-Intergrated-Amplifier/dp/B001I7868C

http://us.marantz.com/Products/2570.asp

And this Van Alstine intergrated. It is a solid state amp that sounds more like a tube amp. I own Van Alstine gear. Its all custom made to order here in Minnesota. It's nothing special to look at but its a lot of bang for the buck and competes with gear costing hundreds if not a few thousand more.

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/control_amplifier/index.htm

Frank Van Alstine always answers his phone, backs up his product and has a 30 day money back guarentee. Check out the forum at www.audiocircles.com

I also agree on the Niam!

frenchmon
03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
I'd take that Vincent over the B&K any day...but its almost twice the price as well.

frenchmon

basite
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd take that Vincent over the B&K any day...but its almost twice the price as well.

frenchmon

I wouldn't,

Vincent sounds like crap.

pixelthis
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
If you are on a budget check out Emotivas amps.
They are cheap, but not low quality(big hunk of pig iron, sounds good).
Dont know what kinda pre-amp you'd put with it, I am using an Integra receiver for mine.:1:

audio amateur
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't understand all these high powered suggestions when he has efficient speakers.
Uncblue, before you do splurge on an amp, I would recommend you go out and listen to different amps and try to hear the differences between each amp. Chances are these will be very slight, especially in contrast with the differences you'll hear between different speakers.

I personally would recommend a Trends TA-10.1 if you can live without a remote (maybe have the system next to your listening position) and only have one music source. You'll save a bundle you can spend elsewhere (more music perhaps) and enjoy it just as much as you would a $1K amp. They even have a newer modded version which retails for a little more. Still smashing value given the performance (I use to own one until i fried it using the wrong power supply).
Here is a review by 6 moons:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html
I won't forget to mention that it's also very easy on the electric bill.

rob_a
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Congrats on retirement, I am a young lad and have a long way to go still.

Rotel makes a nice integrated amp for around $700.

Emotiva makes a pre-amp for $400 and then they have a 2ch amp going for $325.

Jolida makes a good integrated tube amp I have seen as low as $650.

There are many different brands out there that are very good. Welcome to AR ;)

blackraven
03-17-2010, 01:15 PM
I have to agree with Rob, Jolida makes a nice intergrated tube amp. I have to disagree with Basite. Vincent sounds pretty good. Its all about system matching. You can take the best sounding equipment in the world and mix and match, some pair well and lothers don't. I think that with Klipsch speakers you will want a warmer sounding amp.

If you end up with an Emotiva amp I suggest you look for a tube or Hybrid tube preamp.

basite
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
I have to agree with Rob, Jolida makes a nice intergrated tube amp. I have to disagree with Basite. Vincent sounds pretty good. Its all about system matching. You can take the best sounding equipment in the world and mix and match, some pair well and lothers don't. I think that with Klipsch speakers you will want a warmer sounding amp.

If you end up with an Emotiva amp I suggest you look for a tube or Hybrid tube preamp.

well, tastes differ, of course, but I found the vincent gear I heard, all sound pretty shouty and really in your face. System matching is very important, and pairing vincent with klipsch, is not really a good match imho...

a nice tube integrated will actually do really good with Klipsches, with their sensitivity you also don't need 400 watts of power (even 10 good watts will do for most listening...)

blackraven
03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
well, tastes differ, of course, but I found the vincent gear I heard, all sound pretty shouty and really in your face. System matching is very important, and pairing vincent with klipsch, is not really a good match imho...

a nice tube integrated will actually do really good with Klipsches, with their sensitivity you also don't need 400 watts of power (even 10 good watts will do for most listening...)

Ageed!

devuonoste
03-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi,
Congrats on your retirement.

I agree with most that has been said here. If you can stretch your budget a bit have a look at the Prima Luna Prologue One - $1599.

Good Luck and Hope you find something you enjoy.

rob_a
03-17-2010, 04:20 PM

I personally do not like the in your face systems either, and Klipsches can bring that out in an amp, so a choice of amps that are a little smoother or wormer would be a good choice. Tubes are a great way to calm down bright speakers.

Feanor
03-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Another case of vanishing OP, looks like.

Too bad Bob didn't ask our advice about speakers first, rather than choosing his speakers then asking about amps. I suspect there would have been a certain consensus against Klipsch. Anyway, it might have been a more rewarding debate than this one about which amp will best compensate for Klipsch shortcomings.

For all the well-intentioned tube recommendations, it remains to be know whether the OP will accept a tube amp.

audio amateur
03-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Too bad Bob didn't ask our advice about speakers first, rather than choosing his speakers then asking about amps. I suspect there would have been a certain consensus against Klipsch.
I wanted to commend all of you for not making any remarks on the speakers. However, I wasn't going to do so but as Feanor has let the cat out of the bag...:)

Give him some time, it's only been a day!

JoeE SP9
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, he did say he had "just about decided". It may not be too late.

BTW Welcome to AR uncblue!

JoeE SP9
03-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I personally do not like the in your face systems either, and Klipsches can bring that out in an amp, so a choice of amps that are a little smoother or wormer would be a good choice. Tubes are a great way to calm down bright speakers.

Very nice way of commenting about Klipsch speakers.

uncblue: To put it very plainly. They are very bright "shouty" and in your face, not really what you want for long term listening. However, speaker choice is personal. What you like others may not and vice versa.

rob_a
03-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Very nice way of commenting about Klipsch speakers.

uncblue: To put it very plainly. They are very bright "shouty" and in your face, not really what you want for long term listening. However, speaker choice is personal. What you like others may not and vice versa.

Just for the record, in no way was I trying to rip anyone else’s taste of audio. Many people on AR have Klipsch and like the sound. I personally do not care for the brighter edgy sound of them, but that’s just my opinion.

Most people on this site would agree that a good “matched” system is important, and that’s what I feel most of the people commenting were trying to lend a hand with. But these are just recommendations and as far as that goes, Blue is the one who is going to be listen to it and I respect that, hopefully theirs no love lost.

harley .guy07
03-18-2010, 08:56 PM
If uncblue likes the Klipsch speakers he has chosen then it is not up to me to say it was a bad decision. I am not a klipsch fan myself but there are plenty of them out there and I think with proper amplification they could be a good choice for someone looking for that kind of sound. High power is not the biggest issue here since they are high efficiency by design and nature by way of horn loaded tweeters so a lower powered integrated would work well especially if uncblue likes his music at a volume level that is within normal listening levels. There are plenty of options out there. I would not say vincent is out of the question since they don't sound bad like someone commented in my opinion. I would say that a warmer sounding amp would be my direction for these speakers since most speakers from klipsch that I have personally heard are of brighter nature and would do well with a well balanced amp. I have heard that Emotiva amps are good but are detailed by design and probably would not be the best choice for these speakers, I would head in the direction as others have said with a more neutral or warm amp like some out there with tube preamp sections or fully tube outputs. I have talked to plenty of people that run tubes with klipsch with great results. It depends on if uncblue would want to be open to running tubes and the upkeep with them. there are several solid state options out there that are warm or natural sounding by nature as well, Odyssey audio comes to mind as one on the companies that comes to mind. But the Khartego as good as it is is around 900 to 1000 bucks by itself so he would have to bargain shop for a preamp to stay in his price range. But there are plenty of integrated options out there that might be great for his use if a person were to shop around and do some research into what the sound character of the amp is. I think some research on uncblues part might yield a good setup if he makes sure that there is a return policy so if he is not satisfied he can change if needed.

dakatabg
03-18-2010, 10:45 PM
I am not a klipsch fan myself but there are plenty of them out there and I think with proper amplification they could be a good choice for someone looking for that kind of sound.

I am not a big fan of those Klipsch speakers too. People talk about them so much and I have heard many of them but never got impressed.

uncblue
03-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Too bad Bob didn't ask our advice about speakers first,...

Thanks for the input, guys! I agree that I should have inquired about speakers, first. I am not dead set on Klipsh speakers, I just really haven't heard many really good speakers - I could never afford them until now, and it was torture knowing I couldn't buy after listening ...
Thanks again for any input. - Bob

Ajani
03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the input, guys! I agree that I should have inquired about speakers, first. I am not dead set on Klipsh speakers, I just really haven't heard many really good speakers - I could never afford them until now, and it was torture knowing I couldn't buy after listening ...
Thanks again for any input. - Bob

Bob, I strongly suggesting auditioning as many speakers as you can first, before committing to buying anything... IMO, Speakers are the most personal choice in HiFi and will have the most dramatic impact on how your system sounds...

In your price range you can buy many excellent tower speakers.

My favorite is the Revel Concerta F12 ($1.5K) or the Monitor Audio RX6 ($1.25K)... You also have several other popular options from brands like Totem, PSB, B&W, Paradigm and Magnepan in your price range... Any of those brands have satisfied fans, so it would really be a matter of finding the one that sounds good (best) to you... Note: you may still prefer Klipsch after auditioning other brands, and there is nothing wrong with that...

uncblue
03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Very good advice, Ajani. I will begin researching speakers and try to find stores that have a wide selection with good listening rooms that will let me play one my favorite CDs. I'll even take notes and rate them on a scale of 1 to 10 or something similar. Thanks - Bob

blackraven
03-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Take a listen to B&W's, 683 and 684's. Pair them with a nice tube preamp and a neutral or warm sounding amp like a B&K , Van Alstine or Marantz and you will have a nice sounding system.

ren9328
03-20-2010, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't,

Vincent sounds like crap.

Thank you for all of the insight! You are making a post to a retiree and that is the best that you can do? Give this gentleman a useful recommendation or just stay off the forum.

Bob,

There are many fine amps available new and used. Listen to as many as possible before making your decision. I feel that you wil get you best bang for the buck from an integrated amp. You can find Krell, YBA, Creek, Arcam and Cambridge Audio integrated amps in your price range and all are fine performers.

daviethek
03-22-2010, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=blackraven]If you can stretch your budget a little, I would check www.audioadvisor.com and go with a separate amp and preamp like the Hybrid tube equipment from Vincent audio. They are running a sale on the SA-31 Hybrid Tube Preamp for $599 and their hybrid tube amp the Vincent SP-331 for $1,199. I think that Vincent would match well with the Klipsch. Tubes will lend to a warmer sound.

Your other recommendations are right-on but I must disagree with this one. I auditioned the SA-31 and found it to be sonically unimpressive, slow, muddy with lack of detail.

For tube gear in his budget, I would recommend an integrated. My current amp is a Rogue Cronus and I would recommend that except it has inched up to around 1,900 dollars. A budget stretch for the poster but a sonically rewarding and very nicely built unit. Tube rolling in retirement is one of my objectives as well. cheers.

JoeE SP9
03-22-2010, 02:41 PM
uncblue asked for opinions. On this site when you ask for opinions you should step back after asking. rob_a, I knew what you were saying. So, I believe did everyone else. I try not to recommend any particular speaker. Choosing a specific model is such a personal decision only you can do it for yourself.

If you come over for some beer and music I'l do my best to convince anyone my Acoustats are the only sensible choice for speakers.

nightflier
03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
For those Klipschs, a Rega Brio would be adequate:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-Brio-3-Integrated-Amplifier?sc=2&category=271

I also have heard the Exposure amps and found them to sound very nice:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/large/S_2010S2_INTAMPS__66073__02022010032150-5432.jpg
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/66073/Exposure-2010S2_Integrated_Amp-Integrated_Amplifiers

If you can go with tubes, Jolida is a very nice bargain, so I second what others have said above. Dussun and Cayin are carried by Acoustic Sounds and this one should fit in your price range as well:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/images/medium/S_A-50TEL-34__16537__05072009023239-4487.jpg
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/16537/Cayin_Audio-A-50T_Integrated_Amp-Integrated_Amplifiers

rob_a
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
uncblue asked for opinions. On this site when you ask for opinions you should step back after asking. rob_a, I knew what you were saying. So, I believe did everyone else. I try not to recommend any particular speaker. Choosing a specific model is such a personal decision only you can do it for yourself.

If you come over for some beer and music I'l do my best to convince anyone my Acoustats are the only sensible choice for speakers.

hahaha! I hear ya. I agree.
I drink German Beer, not that light American stuff.

uncblue
03-26-2010, 02:16 PM

Hey JoeE SP9, I did some speaker auditioning last weekend and I have changed my mind from the Klipsch RF7s to the Bose 901s. I have begun researching appropriate amps and I would like some more input, please. I'll just leave it at that and watch the posts. Thanks again for all your input, it has been very helpful. PS: I'm trying to stay under 1500 on the amp. -Bob

blackraven
03-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Nooooooooooo! Not Blossssseeeeee! There are much better and more accurate speakers out there. Don't get sucked into the hype about the 901's.

JoeE SP9
03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey JoeE SP9, I did some speaker auditioning last weekend and I have changed my mind from the Klipsch RF7s to the Bose 901s. I have begun researching appropriate amps and I would like some more input, please. I'll just leave it at that and watch the posts. Thanks again for all your input, it has been very helpful. PS: I'm trying to stay under 1500 on the amp. -Bob

Please, for the love of all that's good with speakers, do not, I repeat, do not buy any "Blose" product. Please go to some other places and listen to some more speakers. IMO 901's are probably the "worst buy" in audio. I didn't think much of the Klipsch you mentioned. The "Blose 901"s" are three steps lower.
As always, It's your ears that you have to please. Do you have any friends or acquaintances that have at least a half decent system? If so please talk to them. If not go to a local dealer and ask for help. Above all else I urge you to reconsider.

TheHills44060
03-26-2010, 04:52 PM
OMG uncblue i was going to keep my big mouth shut because i do not like the Klipsch RF7's at all but even considering the Bose 901's is an atrocity.

There are tons and tons of other options out there. What in the world swayed you towards the 901's? What about them did you like? Maybe we can offer a much better solution.

02audionoob
03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
BOSE? Seriously?:yikes:

Feanor
03-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Bob,

If you hang around here -- or any audio enthusiast site -- you will know that Bose speakers enjoy the lowest reputation of any well-know vendors' products.

uncblue
03-27-2010, 07:11 AM
I do see that's the concensus, Bill. I guess I am a newbie when it comes to understanding the complexities of different speakers, too. In truth, I actually didn't hear a pair of 901's, I heard a pair of 301s and extrapolated it to mean that the 901s would be significantly better sounding. I, my son-in-law, and grandson thought the 301s were very rich-sounding and pleasant, with very good mid-range and adequate base. I could picture myself listening to that "bouquet" of sound for a long time without becoming fatigued. But, I'll be the first to admit, while I know what my ears like, I haven't heard a lot of quality audio equipment in my life. There is a better place to listen to speakers in our area and I'm going to keep an open mind (ear) and keep listening. I have until the latter half of July, anyway, and this is very informative and exciting. Thanks, guys (girls), for your continued input. - Bob

JoeE SP9
03-27-2010, 08:03 AM
One thing that should be noticed is that Bose dealers don't demo Bose products against anything else. A good dealer will have several lines of speakers and will be willing to demo one brand against another. When there is nothing to compare it's easy to make a product sound good. If you continue to audition speakers I'm certain you will hear much better than Bose. I suggest listening to speakers and associated gear above your price range. That will give you a better idea what a "good" system can sound like.

uncblue
03-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I had an ear-opening experience this afternoon at another local audio dealer when I heard for the first time a pair of PSB Imagine T loudspeakers. They were hooked up to a pair of McIntosh mono-block amps and they sounded way better than anything I've heard to date! While I'll never be able to afford the McIntosh amps, they do sell a very good Marantz integrated amp (I didn't get to hear). I saw the spec sheet on it, and the dealer said it has a three-year warranty, a very solid chassis, and at 1K is in my price range. The PSBs were at the upper limit of my range at 2K, but I will definitely get them if I don't anything better. Anyone else heard them hooked up to another power source? Any opinions on them? Thank, again. - Bob

Feanor
03-28-2010, 03:33 AM
I had an ear-opening experience this afternoon at another local audio dealer when I heard for the first time a pair of PSB Imagine T loudspeakers. They were hooked up to a pair of McIntosh mono-block amps and they sounded way better than anything I've heard to date! While I'll never be able to afford the McIntosh amps, they do sell a very good Marantz integrated amp (I didn't get to hear). I saw the spec sheet on it, and the dealer said it has a three-year warranty, a very solid chassis, and at 1K is in my price range. The PSBs were at the upper limit of my range at 2K, but I will definitely get them if I don't anything better. Anyone else heard them hooked up to another power source? Any opinions on them? Thank, again. - Bob
uncblue,

Your experience with these PSB illustrates what happens when you get around and listen to a variety of well-setup speakers.

As for PSB, that company seems to be on a bit of a roll. For example, their speakers where represented in almost every price range in The Absolute Sound magazine's recent recommended component issue. PBS' "Image" line, a bit less expensive than the "Imagine", might be an alternative for you.

For a bit different listening experience, try to hear some Magneplanar speakers, (website here (http://www.magnepan.com/)). Their MG 12, ($1200), and MG 1.7, ($2000), models might be in your price range. Or you might find their recently discontinued MG 1.6 model at a good discount off its $1900 price.

Poultrygeist
03-28-2010, 05:35 AM
If you are a tarheel you may not live too far from these. With a low power inexpensive tube amp these horns are way beyond the gear most folks recommend. Read the reviews on this site and drive to Leesville, SC and listen for yourself.

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/model1.html

LeRoy
03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Congrats on your upcoming retirement.

I've been following this thread and thought now would be the time to jump in. Everyone's making some great suggestions yet I am only familiar with some of the gear being mentioned. So, from what I think I know:

I would endorse the idea of system building to get the sound you prefer...where there is system compatibility what usually follows is pretty darn good musical reproduction.

I certainly second Fenor's recommendation of the Naim Nait integrated amp and Nightfilier's recommendation of the Rega Brio 3 ( I happen to own the Brio 3). Let me say one thing about the Rega Brio 3...it doesn't do anything wrong musically but it can be tricky matching up speakers with this integrated and once you get that one taken care of you're still left without a remote control. You may want to consider the Rega Mira 3 instead but for about the same amount of money the Naim Nait is the ticket IMO.

Ajani's recommendation of the Monitor Audio RX6 is a really good suggestion. Lots of big sound with high sound quality for a fair price.

I owned Bose 901's series 3, 501 series 3 back in my high school days. Bob,you deserve a better retirement system than what Bose has to offer. Klipsch are easy to drive and if you like horn speakers then you like them...I don't-- but if you do then I hope you are happy with them. I've also owned PSB Image series speakers at found them exciting at first then I grew tired of their sound.

If you happen to have an Audio dealer near you that carries speakers from Usher or Paradigm give them a listen too. The Usher speaker is very dynamic and visually appealing as well. Paradigm makes several models in various price ranges and you might find what you are looking for in this line.

All of it would be for naught if you didn't take connectivity into consideration. Speaker wire and interconnects do make a difference in whether your final system configuration sounds like it's been advertised to sound like or not...at least that has been my experience.

Good luck with your shopping and selections.

LeRoy