Valley's Of Neptune - Hendrix [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Valley's Of Neptune - Hendrix

3LB
03-11-2010, 06:53 AM
When I first heard that there was going to be a new Hendrix album, it just smacked of money grab. I mean, there has to be a limit, right? I was glad when the Hendrix estate gained control of Jimi's music, because they deserve to benefit more than anyone. But since they gained control, Hendrix's estate have prolly released as many postumous releases as the record company did before. Every time I turn around there's a new compilation disc, or a reissue of the same album.

Anyway, this is a collection of studio runthroughs, with nary a solo in sight (Jimi was unavailable). That being said, its a little like a live performance without the crowd (always a good thing). Jimi's runthroughs shame many solo atempts anyway. Not being an afficienado of bootlegs, I know much of this stuff has already seen the light of day in one form or another. I know some of these songs have been on other albums, like Red House, Stone Free and Fire; these are at least different versions however. The title track is something I've never heard. I've heard Bleeding Heart on another title. This isn't as cohesive a statement as '97s First Rays Of The New Rising Sun, IMO, but this album does have some great Jimi moments. It sure woulda been nice if Hendrix had laid down some tracks for his cover of Sunshine Of Your Love, but its a killer jam nonetheless. Some 40+ years later, and still nobody tops the trio of Hendrix, Redding, and Mitchel for jamming prowess.

I guess two kinds of people will buy this; completists, and those who haven't bought a Hendrix album since Electric Ladyland who are mostly curious. This a pretty good representation of Hendrix's vision, and yet another reminder what a killer guitar player he was. IMO, it pales in comparison to his first three albums (the only ones released in his lifetime), but that's because I like polished albums. For those who like that raw sound better, this might be the ticket. I'd rather hear what Jimi's studio embellishements woulda sounded like. I can't imagine the idlely curious being engaged for a full album here, and I can't imagine that completists will be able to resist it.

Mr Peabody
03-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the write up. I typically avoid releases after death figuring if the person wanted these things released they would have done so when they were cut. In other words they were thrown in a closet or on a shelf for a reason and it wasn't to show them off.

Then again, you have the Liquid Trio Experiment which was as bad as anything I've ever heard and those guys are still alive. That was one I would have kept in the closet until after I was dead, or, simply just erased to save face.

frenchmon
03-12-2010, 07:57 PM
There are some great Jazz recordings that never where released until after the musician died and they where great recordings....same goes for Frank Zappa...he had a ton of stuff that he had never ever released and its some good stuff....I think stereophile even did a piece on Zappas volt in one issue of their magazine.

fenchmon

Mr Peabody
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
You'll have to let me know about some of the Zappa stuff I haven't heard about any of them. I believe his entire catalog was finally released on CD not so long ago. It's a shame Stevie Vye couldn't get a steady gig after Zappa. That David Lee Roth album he did was decent. I thought those guys were on to something there.

Finch Platte
03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Then again, you have the Liquid Trio Experiment which was as bad as anything I've ever heard and those guys are still alive. That was one I would have kept in the closet until after I was dead, or, simply just erased to save face.

God, ain't that the truth? What a load of sheer, stinkin' gar-bahge. :mad5:

MasterCylinder
03-17-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't need any old studio junk............and after so many years !
I will admit this thread has me getting the real Hendrix albums out for a fresh visit............back in the late 70s, I was in a good band that had a killer version of CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC...............good stuff.

Finch Platte
03-23-2010, 03:06 PM
with nary a solo in sight (Jimi was unavailable).

Now see, this is the part I don't get. I've read the Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/03/17/jimi-hendrixs-last-days-and-lost-music-new-issue-of-rolling-stone/) article (in the mag) on JH & this album, and I'm not seeing where there aren't any solos on this disc.

3LB
03-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Now see, this is the part I don't get. I've read the Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/03/17/jimi-hendrixs-last-days-and-lost-music-new-issue-of-rolling-stone/) article (in the mag) on JH & this album, and I'm not seeing where there aren't any solos on this disc.
I didn't hear any solos, at least not the kind of soloing he was famous for, but like I said, its Jimi. That's all it has going for it. Some of the songs on this album are alt-takes of previously released material. But most important, its stuff that, if it were good enough then, it woulda been released then, or as the article puts it, "are these songs finished the way Jimi would have released them? Probably not". I don't buy that its long lost tapes or whatever. Its a couple of decent songs with filler. This definitly is a case for just downloading the one or two songs. But if you're a Hendrix completist, you won't need any reasons not to buy it. But if this album leads the previously un-initiated towards the actual studio releases, thats not such bad thing.

brownieboy
03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
There is something I don't understand. This "Neptune" release is timed to coincide with the release of new, "definitive," Hendrix-Estate-sanctioned remasters of his original studio albums ("Ladyland," etc.), right?

Hadn't these same albums been remastered on 180g vinyl, also under the supervision of Eddie Kramer/Hendrix family about 10 years ago? What's the difference? What is going on here?

Mr Peabody
03-25-2010, 06:36 PM
C*a*s*h $$$