modified PS 2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : modified PS 2

scrivens
03-11-2010, 05:23 AM
There are quite a few guys in the UK offering to convert Sony playstation-2 's into hi end CD players

has anybody heard these?

http://api.ning.com/files/ID9ylkU2XO3JwmR1s4TNa2F*RgXukjdw9KztytUhBBm3XZX3ej qxbUAPMyp1WkAD9GpeuqtHs9rCcj*seCt7CucStoFE7iHc/page2_65.png

poppachubby
03-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I use my PS2 as a transport in my H/T system. Does a fine job. There was alot of hoop-la around a certain make of the PS1. It was supposed to be some all encompassing CDP. It was not.

I have not heard a modified PS2, so I can't comment. There are some CDP's that are more worthwhile to modify IMO. I've read that when modified a certain way, a Naim CD4 is possibly the best CDP ever made. Quite a claim. Also a Grundig 9009 is supposed to be good. Alot of DIY types like to modify the older Philips players...

harley .guy07
03-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I would be more inclined to take a dedicated player to modify and leave the PS3 to what it was designed to do. Play games and be a descent blue ray player. There are many units out there that could be purchased at a descent price that would make very good cd players without having to modify the unit and I would say could be a better overall player than the mod PS3.

harley .guy07
03-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I did not realize you were talking about the ps2, I would think that the work and time modifying a ps2 to be a high end cd player would not be worth it since a great cd player can be had at a good price if one were to do their research. I had a ps2 once and tried it as a cd player and it sounded terrible compared to my dedicated player, with mods it could possibly be descent but I would still say that a person could get better with little money if a person did a little research.

nightflier
03-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Poppa, several Stereophile reviewers would disagree with the PS-1 not being that good. The problem with any of these is the quirky interfaces, the remote issues, and mass-market construction for them to be comparable to dedicated players. I will agree with everyone here that it's not worth the effort to upgrade any of them - stick to a good stand-alone.

poppachubby
03-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Poppa, several Stereophile reviewers would disagree with the PS-1 not being that good. The problem with any of these is the quirky interfaces, the remote issues, and mass-market construction for them to be comparable to dedicated players. I will agree with everyone here that it's not worth the effort to upgrade any of them - stick to a good stand-alone.

I've heard one, with the stereo RCA outputs, and was thoroughly unimpressed. It was a fine player, but not worth the countless threads, reviews and blogs wrote about it. As I said, I enjoy my PS2 as a transport.

scrivens
03-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys......tis is where I came across it [B] HERE (http://www.bigearsaudio.org.uk/cd_players/used_CD_players.html)[ /B]

harley .guy07
03-12-2010, 03:21 PM
yeah I would stick with a dedicated cd player or a multi disk player like a Oppo blue ray player or good DVD player that you could add a dedicated outboard Dac to so that you would equal the likes of most higher end cd players.

poppachubby
03-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't dream of paying that price, not when a Shanling CDT80 is only a bit more. The Shanling provides a ton of fantastic user features. I have heard several Shanling CDP's. Most have variable output and selectable upsampling (a tremendous feature). Getting this player used puts it in the correct price point, as Shanling tend to bloat their value new. Overall this would be a very musical piece for your system.

What kind of gear are you running scrivens?

http://www.bigearsaudio.org.uk/cd_players/used_CD_players_files/dsc02247.jpg

nightflier
03-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Poppa, you seem to have a new interest in Shanling. Are you thinking of an upgrade?

poppachubby
03-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Poppa, you seem to have a new interest in Shanling. Are you thinking of an upgrade?

I've always admired Shanling gear, although Manley are where I would like to end up later in life. One of my local dealers carries Shanling so I've spent a few afternoons listening to a full Shanling system. I think it's overpriced, but used makes it very competitive.

As far as an upgrade goes, I am very much still having a honeymoon with the Golden Tube. My next leap will be a TT. Hopefully the Ariston RD-11s that I've discussed before. If that falls through, it will be a BIG step up, whatever I end up with.

atomicAdam
03-27-2010, 07:49 PM

I'm gonna have to side on the so/so on this. The certain model is a PS1 with RCA audio out the back. I have one, $15, craigslist. It has a great midrange warm sound but rolls off the highs and lows too much and detail and thump suffers. I mean, if I listened to female vocal jazz or Old Blue Eyes all day, then it would prob be great, since that is what always sounded best on it to me.

jrhymeammo
03-30-2010, 05:27 PM

Hey Nightflier,
I have one you can have if you'll send me like $10 for shippping. You interested?

nightflier
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Nope. I have an old one too somewhere in the garage. Never tried to hook it up to my 2-channel system, though. I'm not even sure it works.

jrhymeammo
03-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Nope. I have an old one too somewhere in the garage. Never tried to hook it up to my 2-channel system, though. I'm not even sure it works.

Then I'll say keep it in your garage.