Speaekrs connected "in phase" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaekrs connected "in phase"

timebase
03-10-2010, 06:30 AM
That's how you call it in English, I thought?

Yesterday I did some checking on my speaker connections because there was a challenge with the right speaker volume.

Anyway, that was solved and afterwards I did a test with a specific test LP to check if the speakers were connected in phase.

Well, now I forgot about it.

If they are connected in the right way, do you have more bass and the sound seems to be a bit more in the middle or:

Less bass and the sound more "spread out"?

Thanks,

Jos

Hyfi
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
That's how you call it in English, I thought?

Yesterday I did some checking on my speaker connections because there was a challenge with the right speaker volume.

Anyway, that was solved and afterwards I did a test with a specific test LP to check if the speakers were connected in phase.

Well, now I forgot about it.

If they are connected in the right way, do you have more bass and the sound seems to be a bit more in the middle or:

Less bass and the sound more "spread out"?

Thanks,

Jos

Simple test would be to reverse the two wires going to 1 speaker only and note the differences. Hard to say what your particular sound difference will be with your equipment. Maybe someone else will be able to give a rule of thumb for this case.

JohnMichael
03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
When two speakers are in phase with each other you have better bass and a more focused soundstage. You would have more sound in the middle. If the speakers are out of phase with each other one speaker's woofer will be pushing out while the other speaker's woofer will be pulling in. The woofers moving in opposite direction will cancel some of the bass. The mid and high frequency drivers will be moving opposite each other and that interferes with the imaging and focus.

MikeyBC
03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
The differences are easily heard if your in the middle between the speakers. In phase you'll have solid bass and focused soundstage. Out of phase its like a confusing and thin sound.

You can check by hooking a "D" cell or a 9 volt battery to the speaker terminals. If the speakers are wired correctly and you hook + to + and - to - the woofer cone will move outwards.

paulspencer
03-18-2010, 11:34 PM
When I was at uni they had some old Bose speakers hooked up in the computer lab. Walking past them I could tell right away one of them had the wrong polarity. As Mikey said, stand right in the middle and you will get a weird sound that is hard to describe. The bass is thin and the midrange sounds strangely wrong!