1st sound Yamaha DVD-S2700: 2010-03-09 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 1st sound Yamaha DVD-S2700: 2010-03-09

rakeford
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
I received my new Yamaha DVD-S2700 (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451766&CTID=5001800) CD/Super Audio CD/DVD-Audio player today. It looks really sharp and matches my Yamaha RX-797 very well. I only have two speakers, so I'm running it in MIXED 2CH analog out the back end into my RX-797.

The sound is fantastic. Build is solid and firm. Play delay is slightly longer than my Sharp DX-650. I can't tell much sound quality change in the "AUDIO DIRECT" mode- but the display goes blank when you turn it on.

I'm sure it will sound much better after I bi-wire the AC power cord and burn in the photaulic phase shift correlator. :12:

Here's my initial play list.

Brothers in Arms
Dire Straits
Super Audio CD - Canadian Import

Gaucho
Steely Dan
DVD Audio

Willy and the Poor Boys
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Super Audio CD - SACD Hybrid

The Dark Side of the Moon [SACD]
Pink Floyd

And maybe tomorrow.

Brain Salad Surgery [Deluxe Edition]
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Super Audio CD - SACD Hybrid / Special Edition

461 Ocean Boulevard [Hybrid SACD]
Eric Clapton
=================================================

When I have more time, I'll put assessment and review comments here:
More to come.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

rakeford
03-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I guess nobody cares until I write a subtantial review.

Listening to "The Orginal Fleetwood Mac" on Blue Horizons (with Peter Green) right now- Take 7 now and they are *****en at each other.

Totally "audio perfect" on the DVD-S2700.

harley .guy07
03-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Thats cool that you are happy with your new player. I have not done any research on this unit so I don't know much about it. I use a Oppo bdp-83 for my multi disk playing and am happy with it so far but I am glad that you are happy with your new player.

JoeE SP9
03-12-2010, 09:23 PM
If it's anything like the DVD-S1800 I recently purchased the sound will subtly change over the first 40 hours. Mine went from a Row A perspective to Row D.

rakeford
03-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Hey, thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that the DVD-S2700 is the very first CD player I bought. The other ones I've been using were given to me. My previous players were:

1. BSR MCD8050 CD/Cassette: now skipping and cutting off prematurely.
2. Sharp DX-650 CD: still sounding great.

If it's anything like the DVD-S1800 I recently purchased the sound will subtly change over the first 40 hours. Mine went from a Row A perspective to Row D.
Is going "from a Row A perspective to Row D" a good thing or a bad thing?

PS: Note change in signature.

poppachubby
03-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey, thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that the DVD-S2700 is the very first CD player I bought. The other ones I've been using were given to me. My previous players were:

I think he's saying that the soundstage opened up/widened and the sound probably wasn't as harsh/bright...

JoeE SP9
03-14-2010, 05:20 PM

To me it's not good or bad just different.

There is a difference in the sound of a symphony orchestra depending on what row you're seated in. Columbia classical recordings sound like row A while Telarc recordings sound like row H, to me. 10th row center (row J) seating is premium priced seating for good reason.
If your system has good depth imaging it's easy to hear the difference. Row H sounds like the orchestra is farther behind the speakers than row A
However, there is no substitute for the concert hall regardless of where you sit.

I'm deliberately not mentioning the screechy highs many old Columbia LP's have. They sometimes have me wishing for tone controls.

rakeford
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
To me it's not good or bad just different.

There is a difference in the sound of a symphony orchestra depending on what row you're seated in. Columbia classical recordings sound like row A while Telarc recordings sound like row H, to me. 10th row center (row J) seating is premium priced seating for good reason.
If your system has good depth imaging it's easy to hear the difference. Row H sounds like the orchestra is farther behind the speakers than row A
However, there is no substitute for the concert hall regardless of where you sit.

I'm deliberately not mentioning the screechy highs many old Columbia LP's have. They sometimes have me wishing for tone controls.
Thanks. I doubt I'll notice this on my DVD-S2700, if "the sound will subtly change over the first 40 hours. Mine went from a Row A perspective to Row D." as you say.