Denon Recording from Phono [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon Recording from Phono

pthomann
03-09-2010, 07:00 AM
I have a Denon AVR-2400 Surround Receiver with a Technics turntable. I have been digitizing my LP collection for several weeks using a great recording program called Audacity (free download). My question relates to how to record with this set-up thru this receiver without having sound coming from the speakers. There is only a mute button on the remote and using that kills the sound. I am recording via the Pre-Amp Out RCA jacks into the Sound Card of my PC via a simple 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA stereo phono plug-in. This part works fine, but I have not been able to find a way to mute the sound, but still get sound thru the PC to record. Also, I have to adjust the volume quite loud in order to get adequate signal strength to Audacity thru the sound card of my computer. This only magnifies the sound issue in other parts of the house, especially while people are trying to sleep, talk or otherwise be in the house while I am recording. :6:

02audionoob
03-09-2010, 07:18 AM
The AVR-2400 doesn't appear to have a Tape Out, so Pre Out seems like your only recording option with this receiver. Pre Out is controlled by the volume, tone controls and balance. However, the AVR-2400 also doesn't appear to have a phono stage, so you're not getting the correct signal output from the AVR-2400. It hasn't been equalized and boosted from phono to a line level signal.

That said, I think I'd suggest getting an external phono preamp and running it to the sound card input. Then run the sound card output to a pair of inputs on the AVR-2400.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2800/4420245714_8d7e060999_o.jpg

Hyfi
03-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Have you tried just disconnecting the speakers while you rip?

02audionoob
03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Keep in mind, a phono signal does require RIAA equalization at some point. Having to turn up the receiver volume quite loud indicates that this is not occurring.

mlsstl
03-09-2010, 10:39 AM
You might also consider buying a stand-alone RIAA phono preamp. There are a number of these on the market for well under $100. If you used one of these you wouldn't even need to turn on your stereo receiver. The turntable would plug into the preamp which in turn would feed its output directly to your sound card or USB input, depending on what model preamp you purchased.

pthomann
03-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the great feedback - I believe I will proceed with the pre-amp option. This should be a simple way to take care of all of these issues. Unhooking the speakers is not a good option because of the amount of speakers involved and location(s) of the equipment. The pre-amp should take care of the RIAA issue also, correct? The funny thing is, using Audacity I am actually able to get a very good recording "as is", and even better after some mild clean-up with the utilities that Audacity has. My only issue is that I can't circumvent the speakers easily. I guess during the design phase of this receiver, no one could conceive of ever recording LP's on anything other than a standard tape deck.......! Thanks everyone!

02audionoob
03-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Here's an inexpensive phono preamp that is well reviewed... link to ATPEQ3 (http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-Doctor-Phono-Preamps-and-Stereo-Phono-Preamps-1-800-229-0644-Audio-Technica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=401)

Yes...the phono preamp will do the RIAA equalization of the phono signal. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at the difference. Modern AV receiver designs have removed the phono input, most likely to save money; but in your case, the tape output is gone, too...even more money saved. Neither a turntable nor a cassette would be all that common in a home theater setup, so it makes sense for the manufacturer to take them out.

poppachubby
03-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Here's an inexpensive phono preamp that is well reviewed... .

noob has understated the value of this AT phono stage. It's an amazing bargain at roughly 60% savings! The fidelity you will experience shall be a revelation in comparison to your current set up. Worth every last penny. You'll be spinning LP's for some time...

pthomann
03-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Thanks to everyone for the "Sound" advice!:hand: