Hello AudioReview.com [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello AudioReview.com

jkerth
03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello everyone. It is my hope that these forums will help me gain a deeper understanding of audio related equipment and what makes the best the best. In time, I hope to share my knowledge with other users as well.

In the meantime, I will browse through the forum categories in search of the best placement for my first question: "What receiver will allow me to utilize the speakers that I currently have?"

dakatabg
03-08-2010, 03:37 PM
What speakers do you have?

Are you into the vintage stuff or the new surround receivers?

jkerth
03-08-2010, 03:46 PM
I have the following speakers:

Technics SB-A35 (2)
Technics SB-S35 (2)
Techinics SB-C35 (1)

RCA Pro SW2200P Sub

I don't have manuals for the Technics speakers and haven't been able to find any good information for them online anywhere. I have the manual for the RCA Sub. I would like to buy an amp that will allow me to use all the speakers at the same time.

dakatabg
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
So you have 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, 1 center speaker and 1 subwoofer. You will need a 5.1 receiver with a subwoofer output.

You can use any receiver that has 5.1 so you can use all the speakers. What is the price you wanna spend for it?

jkerth
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I would like to keep the price <= $150. What I was concerned about was that the receiver will produce enough power (WATTS) for the speakers. I noticed you had posted some info for the Technics sb-a35 speakers, do you happen to have specifications for the other speakers?.

dakatabg
03-08-2010, 05:41 PM
You can google it and you can find some info Most if not all of the surround receivers will work with your speakers and will drive them. You can find a Technics receiver on ebay or craigslist if you wanna stick with the brand. There are many brands receivers you can get for 150 but just watch the receiver to have output for subwoofer

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 07:10 PM
A two channel receiver won't allow hook up of all those speakers and not sure why you'd want to.

A multichannel receiver has amplification dedicated to each channel and will allow 5, 6 or 7 speaker hook up but to hear all at the same time you will need to make sure it has what is called "party" mode or "5 channel stereo". Multichannel receivers are specialized for surround sound and in a typical surround mode will not have all channels playing at the same time, where sound is depends on the content and it's encoding.

jkerth
03-08-2010, 11:10 PM
The specs on the speakers are:
(2) SB-A35 240W each
(2) SB-S35 70W each
(1) SB-C35 100W
(1) RCA Pro SW220P 200W

So, should I be looking for a receiver that can output at least 900W, or or these specs just the maximums that the speakers can handle?

dakatabg
03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Ha ha man don't go by the watts that much. The small speakers you have won't even be able to handle 40W real watts so don't worry about the wattage that much. Find a good receiver that will have 80W to 100W per channel and you will be all set!

dakatabg
03-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Thats how the receiver is supposed to look on the back! This is from Technics SA-EX510 surround receiver:

front speakers, rear speakers, center speaker and subwoofer. Get something like that and you are all set.

http://i50.tinypic.com/30wl0ee.jpg

Mr Peabody
03-09-2010, 07:33 AM
I recommend people buy the most clean power you can afford. Most speakers are blown by under powering opposed to over powering. When you push an amp beyond what it can do it begins to distort (clip), when you hear your music losing clarity you've gone to far. More power also leaves some reserve in times of peak demand (headroom).

If going by receiver specs you want to use power ratings that say XX watts per channel at 20-20kHz opposed to XX watts at 1kHz. 1kHz is like rated power with a 1kHz test tone where 20-20kHz rates the power with a full frequency range and more like real world use.

I like Onkyo receivers due to their higher current amp section. They will give a more controlled and powerful sound. The only draw back is the amp generates more heat than most.

jkerth
03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the information dakatabg and Mr Peabody. You have both been helpful and I feel more confident about buying a receiver that will achieve my goal for now.

dakatabg
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
No problems, let us know when you get a receiver

Barb1
05-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Hello everyone, I have a question about this same reciever. Can i just hook up speakers to A and use it without hooking up center or other speakers? I just bought the SA EX510 used in like new condition and dont want to ruin it. TY

blackraven
05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Hello everyone, I have a question about this same reciever. Can i just hook up speakers to A and use it without hooking up center or other speakers? I just bought the SA EX510 used in like new condition and dont want to ruin it. TY

Yes you can without any worries. You want to hook up the speakers to the 2 front channels (L&R)

dakatabg
05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Just make sure when you have only the front speakers to turn off the surround mode on the receiver.

user999
07-29-2014, 02:37 AM
Thats how the receiver is supposed to look on the back! This is from Technics SA-EX510 surround receiver:

front speakers, rear speakers, center speaker and subwoofer. Get something like that and you are all set.

http://i50.tinypic.com/30wl0ee.jpg

Forgive me for not reading manual, is this receiver designed for 4 front speakers? As connectors suggest?