Composite signal vs Component signal [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Composite signal vs Component signal

RamSundar
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
This is my first post to this forum and please excuse me for any naive/stupid questions.

I have an old STR-D665 streo receiver by Sony and want to upgrade to a newer receiver. The question I have is, if I connect composite video signal to the newer model receivers, is it possible to get the video out through either component or hdmi (of the receiver)? The reason, is I have a projector that has hdmi and component input. The bluray player I have does not play some old vcds I have. So I want to able to connect a portable player that can play vcds to the receiver(through composite) and take signal out to the projector through component or hdmi.

BTW, I am thinking of buying the Yamaha RX-V365BL receiver. Any suggestions/advice on this unit?

Thanks,
Ram

02audionoob
03-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I checked the manual for an Onkyo TX-SR607 (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR607BLK/Onkyo/Tx-sr607-7.2-channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html) as an example. If the input is Composite, the video resolution chart said it would output to HDMI but not to Component.

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Welcome to AR.

You will need a receiver that specifically upsamples 480i to HDMI, having built in video upconversion. For instance, if you want Yamaha you will have to go up to the 565. There are outboard video scalers but they are expensive.

02audionoob
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM
The issue is one of converting analog to digital, not scaling digital formats or upconversion or upsampling. You don't go up to HDMI. You use the HDMI connection after the video has been converted from analog to digital.

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
That would explain why it doesn't output from component. Even though it converts to digital it still comes out with more lines of resolution. Receiver specs claim upsampling up to 1080p, I've yet to see a receiver's caption read converts analog to digital to output a crisper cleaner 480i or p.

02audionoob
03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
That's an interesting observation. Looking again at the TX-SR607, it appears after the analog-to-digital conversion, you could apparently watch at any resolution the receiver offers on the HDMI connection but as you noted...no component output.

RamSundar
03-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I am not even worried about getting hdmi output. But if I can get output signal in component when I connect composite for video in. If that is not possible, are there accessories that will convert composite to component output?

Thanks,
Ram

02audionoob
03-09-2010, 06:43 AM
You will need to check the manual for each receiver that interests you. Although we stretched the topic a little when talking about higher resolutions, it seems like you're going to find the better models of these receivers will output to the HDMI connection any signal they receive. They won't convert it to component, though. In my limited experience, a composite-to-component converter is an expensive separate device that might cost as much as the Yamaha receiver.

With a 480i composite input, the output options shown in the manual for a TX-SR707 are a 480i output and five different resolutions to the HDMI connection...again, no component output.

Mr Peabody
03-09-2010, 06:53 AM
HDMI also would seem to be an easier run being a single cable and probably cheaper as well. In addition, if coming from receiver the single HDMI will carry any video signal going through the receiver. So only one cable from receiver to projector so you can just use the receiver as switcher and have everything plugged into that. I'm assuming the projector is some distance from where the receiver would be.

kevlarus
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I am not even worried about getting hdmi output. But if I can get output signal in component when I connect composite for video in. If that is not possible, are there accessories that will convert composite to component output?

Thanks,
Ram

To upconvert composite to component, you'd have to look at pre-HDMI receivers. For example, Sony STR-DE998 which uses component for video out using composite, s-video or component as video sources (non HD receiver).

It appears that the newer HDMI spec'd receivers upconvert to the hdmi connection only.