2012 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2012

Hyfi
03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I just watched 2012 over the weekend. If it wasn't $1 at Redbox, I probably would not have.

The beginning of the movie was a bit confusing and I really had no idea what was going on for close to a half hour. After that, it just started getting overly predictable.

The special effects were pretty cool but a little over done and repeated too many times. It seemed that whether they were walking, running, driving, or flying, the ground within feet behind them was dropping away. Yeah right like they would have actually made it through all that. Even the super market scene was a bit stupid and cliche. Just as they say something is pulling them apart, the ground between them opens up and all drops away but for where the two were standing.

I felt that the movie could have been at least a half hour shorter and repeated effects could have been minimized.

Other than that, the whole premise of the movie was incorrect. The predictions were not in sync and the Myans and others were grossly mis-quoted / interpreted.

As far as action, sound and effects, pretty good. As far as overall movie, a waste of millions.

frahengeo
03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
This movie was a Redbox rental for me as well. Like you said, very predictablel. Fell asleep during the movie and for some reason, felt the need to finish it the following day.

The director, Roland Emmerich, has also directed: The Day After Tomorrow, and Independence Day. There might be a pattern here.

3LB
03-08-2010, 07:49 PM
It was an amusement park ride of a movie.

The only difference is that it doesn't drop you off in a gift shop after its done.

Better get used to it.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
If you take it for what its worth, it is a great roller coaster ride. I was definitely entertained by it, and certainly was not confused at any part in the movie.

Feanor
03-09-2010, 07:48 AM
I just watched 2012 over the weekend. If it wasn't $1 at Redbox, I probably would not have.

As far as action, sound and effects, pretty good. As far as overall movie, a waste of millions.
As for a waste of millions, that will depend on the box office.

Thanks for your report Hyfi. I wasn't planning to see this flick. My impression is it falls into the category that I call "stupidsploitation". But if you're a producer, why not take money from gullible, pseudo-science and superstition believers?

Hyfi
03-09-2010, 08:13 AM
As for a waste of millions, that will depend on the box office.

Thanks for your report Hyfi. I wasn't planning to see this flick. My impression is it falls into the category that I call "stupidsploitation". But if you're a producer, why not take money from gullible, pseudo-science and superstition believers?

I like that, stupidsplotation. Lots of that going around. What cracks me up is how many people buy into the classic end of the world crap and have no clue about the planetary alignment of the two coinciding, repeating cycles. Also, NOTHING out of the ordinary will happen on DEC 21, 2012 due to the plus / minus factor of a 26 million year cycle. It may have already started over 10 years ago and may continue for some time, which is the blink of the eye in a 26 million year cycle.

As far as the overdone effects, Indiana Jones did it how many years ago now? Nothing much different was done here. I almost wish I downloaded it instead of wasting $1.06 on the rental.

3LB
03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I spent way more on it than you did and I wasn't nearly as put-out as you. It was what it was. I knew from the previews that real science was out window - I mean, tsunamis in the Himilayas? the oceans have rise how much and the mountain range has to sink how far? and the atmosphere isn't rendered uninhabitable by the vulcanism that surely would coincide with such tectonic upheaval?

and yet we some how manage to survive?

cool effects though

Hyfi
03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I spent way more on it than you did and I wasn't nearly as put-out as you. It was what it was. I knew from the previews that real science was out window - I mean, tsunamis in the Himilayas? the oceans have rise how much and the mountain range has to sink how far? and the atmosphere isn't rendered uninhabitable by the vulcanism that surely would coincide with such tectonic upheaval?

and yet we some how manage to survive?

cool effects though

The one I laughed at was when they kept showing all the surface cracks in the streets and sidewalks, yet never was there a water pipe breakage or leak.

joner77
03-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Although the special effects were good the movie on the whole was dragged a bit with every second character saying goodbye to their loved ones. Funny glitches here and there, like the car going through a collapsing building.

Definitely could have been made much better.