First Time Posting; question about speakers ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First Time Posting; question about speakers ?

stateman
03-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I am needing some suggestions on what speakers to buy for my newly purchased vintage Pioneer SX- 950 receiver I have built my room in the basement 15' x 25' room there are so many choices i dont know which way to go , if someone could give me their ideas on what works good for them i would appreciate it .

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
As you said, there are many ways to go. There is no one match made in heaven so to speak. The best thing you can do is go around and listen to some speakers to get a feel for what you might like. Also, what is your listening style, loud/moderate levels, Rock/Classical/wide variety, those types of things. You could check around for used vintage Pioneer or other brands. If you have a Craigslist in your area it's a good place to start or thrift stores but you have to have some idea of what things are especially on CL so not to get ripped off or pay too much. I personally don't like buying used speakers unless not to old. You could spend the money and end up just having to do a re-coning or some other repair. Speakers don't hold up as well as other electronics in general. Of course, you don't typically end up with as much up front out of pocket expense either with used. Which leads me to another question, what, is, your budget?

I'd recommend looking for an 8 ohm speaker and 90dB or better sensitivity for a vintage receiver.

JoeE SP9
03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
First, welcome to AR.

There is no absolute answer to your question. When others see and respond to your post you'll understand that. With that said, you need to narrow your options. You can do that by being more specific in your question.

1. What kind of music and how loud?
2. What kind of room furnishings?
3. New or used or vintage speakers?
4. What will be your primary source?

There are other questions but these are the primary ones. Although others may disagree, I advocate not buying any speaker unless you have heard and liked it. Speakers are the most personal and idiosyncratic of all audio devices. What I like you may hate and vice versa.

Asking for advice on purchasing speakers is like opening Pandora's box. Everyone will suggest or recommend their own personal favorites. You should do two things.

1. Go to some audio stores and listen to their offerings. This may not be that easy if you don't live in a large metropolitan area. However, it's worth the effort. You need to get a basis for comparison and learn something about what you are really looking for "sound wise".
2. Take all advice (including mine) with a grain of salt.

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, take JoeE's opinion with a grain of salt but you can take mine as gospel :)

stateman
03-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Thank You for your response I'm soory i didnt give you all much detail but i mostly like rock and country i would like to turn the knob on up sometimes . I tell you how i'm leaning i really like the Cerwin Vega CLS 12 or 15 speaker , i will later be adding a CD player and Equilizer . I want good clear, loud, bass speakers . I'm the 80's old school . Thanks Ricky

dakatabg
03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
If you wanna stick to Pioneer, get the CS-G403 speakers. They are 3 way and they have 16" woofers. Cerwin Vega will be good too!

Mr Peabody
03-08-2010, 06:15 PM
From what you describe the Cerwins would be a good choice. I can't remember right now which series of CV was getting some buzz of actually being a very good sounding series from them. If I can find Sir T's thread I'll come back and let you know the ones it may well be the CLS.

stateman
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Thank You , Mr Peabody, I don't know which CV is the best for me i will have to do my homework i guess , i'm not pushing a big amp of any kind just the sx-950 pioneer 85 watts and a CD player and Equilizer , i am wanting the CV CLS-12 speaker rated 200 watts , but there may be a better option .

LeRoy
03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Thank You , Mr Peabody, I don't know which CV is the best for me i will have to do my homework i guess , i'm not pushing a big amp of any kind just the sx-950 pioneer 85 watts and a CD player and Equilizer , i am wanting the CV CLS-12 speaker rated 200 watts , but there may be a better option .

http://www.cerwinvega.com/

big mc
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
just saw this, and welcome. I am new but can comment on my cerwin vegas. they are vs80's w/ nice overall sound. But... not as clear if you want crisp,clarity. they are best heard cranked up, with rock or country. maybe other model are better for clarity, but as the saying goes when speaking of cerwin vegas, you either love em or hate em.
Big MC.

rob_a
03-16-2010, 10:20 AM
DCM has a few lines that have clean heavy bass that will give you what you want as far as Rock and country. And I would say their mids and highs are a little better then CV.